6 months ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Sea_Wolf
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 months ago

Wondering how many of you guys use Facebook Marketplace to find EMs.

I’m not on Facebook but a friend who knows I’m into Pinball suggested searching on the Marketplace and to my surprise there were lots of EMs for sale locally and in surrounding states that are not on Craigslist or EBay.

I’m sure there are scams out there but it can’t be any worse than the cesspool that Craigslist is. One that caught my eye as being fishy was a Gottlieb Sky Jump in NC with only one picture for $500 and looked good from a distance.

#2 6 months ago

Honestly, I’ve almost exclusively bought and sold pinball stuff from the Facebook marketplace the last 2-3 years or so. There’s a ton of listings, communication is easy, and the amount of scams don’t seem to be any greater than CL or other classified websites.

I have it set up so I’ll get a notification whenever a relevant listing is posted, so it’s also easy to “jump” on a good deal.

#3 6 months ago

I'm not on FB either but can look at the ads. If I see something interesting my wife can contact the seller. I have found two pins this way.

#4 6 months ago

EM's do pop up for good deals occasionally, you get a lot of lazy sellers on Facebook which means prices can be all over the place and sometimes that'll be in your favor. But things sell very quick if they're a good deal.

FB Marketplace isn't inherently better or worse than Craigslist (maybe a bit better cause you can look at the profile of the seller), just depends on how active it is in your area. When I lived in the midwest, Craiglist was completely dead and essentially everybody used FB Marketplace. Even where I am now, there are quite a few sellers who list pins on FB Marketplace and don't seem to list anywhere else.

#5 6 months ago

I’ve found a couple of pins on Facebook Marketplace in the last few years, but lately the quality of their search results has nosedived significantly. There’s a lot of irrelevant results from partners, paid listings, and online retailers polluting the stream. Even when there’s a game nearby (in the same zip code!) I have to scroll down significantly to find it. Notifications have never worked right or tipped me off to anything good. Everything I’ve found has just been dumb luck and good timing.

#6 6 months ago

I've also sold a few via Facebook recently and was surprised by it's reach; seems to get people who aren't on Pinside or looking for games on CL.

You get a ton more responses than you do here but the bullshit ratio is HUGE...expect numerous:

ridiculous lowballs. I mean ridiculous. And usually without a message. I had an ad for a Centaur and got a message from a guy: "500"." Same doofus sent me the same message on a breakshot, I decided to just ban him.

non sequiter PMs from people with zero interest in buying a game: "I think I got a game from you once." "I love that game!" "Hey you are in New york? Cool I am planning on visiting"

"Is X game for sale?" You'll see an increasing number of exasperated sellers on Facebook including "ONLY X game is for sale, not others in picture" though really, good luck with that.

"Why are you selling?"

"Will you sell it for (stupid lowball) and will you cover shipping?"

But I'm not gonna complain I've managed to sell a few games via Facebook. Like I said you'll just be getting a ton of nonsense as well.

#7 6 months ago

Bought and sold on FB Marketplace. It is easy to see who knows what they are selling by the quality and quantity of pics. Then there are those who have lousy pics and high prices. Seems like everyone thinks pinballs should be over $1K and are 'collectible'.

Same b.s. games as other selling sites, so be careful and use good judgement.

#8 6 months ago

I love the Facebook responses when I have something listed. First response will be hey will you take half price. If I answer back is that a serious offer they usually respond no I was just wondering. It is a valuable resource for finding EMs. Their search function has sure went downhill lately.

#9 6 months ago

Thanks for all the input so far. Sounds like it’s more of a pain to be a seller than a buyer on Marketplace.

I’m glad I discovered it because as nogoodnames222 mentioned, Craigslist for Pinball in the Midwest is dead as can be lately. Fair EM deals on EBay within a reasonable driving distance don’t come up very often either.

It’s also nice to have a busy place for EMs even if your just window shopping for fun. Sometimes I just like to keep up with the market and what’s going on.

2 months later
    #10 4 months ago

Not a bad pair for sale. Ft Wayne IN.

Pictures on FB Marketplace always leave a lot out though.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2852016215065834/

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside