Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 186 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by hAbO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s571VMI (resized).jpeg
    2018-09-11-image-34 (resized).jpg
    fb (resized).jpg
    b59192a2-6e3b-4daf-ba87-2642522bea05 (resized).jpg
    facebook_lifelog (resized).jpg
    fuck you zuckerjerk. (resized).jpg
    fuck you zuckerjerk (resized).jpg
    E6AB0FE6-6D09-4DFA-B8F0-CF4C88CCEA7A (resized).png
    FCBK_BN-REG_1385_600x_crop_center (resized).jpg
    3FEACD81-ABF8-437F-857C-8898435AB80B (resized).jpeg
    facebook2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20200115_140826 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

I cannot stand Facebook. I feel like the world is passing me by because it seems like everything is moving to Facebook. My girlfriend was recently enquiring about doing some volunteer work at the local Humane Society/animal shelter. She was told to go fill out some information on a Facebook page. That ended her thoughts about volunteering.

I have had several retail service people send me emails asking me to give them a good recommendation for a service they performed for me. And then they link me to their FB crap. So, they do not get any recommendation from me.

None of my family that is still living send an email to communicate about something. Instead, they want to "friend" me so I can read them prattling on about how " I just put some cookies in the oven to bake. They should be ready in 20 minutes". And 25 minutes later they post, " I took the cookies from the oven and let them cool. They sure are good." Sorry, folks. That is not a conversation.

I don't have time for that stuff.

Am I alone in my dislike for FB?

#69 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I think what is more disturbing is what was the growing attitude that you were some strange person if you DON'T have a facebook account. You don't see it on tech like/ hobby forums, but you do see it out in the real world quite often. As more people grow wiser (or tired) of the FB BS, it doesn't seem to be as common as it was a few years ago.

Oh yeah, this for sure: " You are not on FB. What is wrong with you? You are missing the action. I got that a lot.

#70 4 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

That's definitely helping stay lower on the radar.
    BTW, I don't have anything against people who have chosen not to use Facebook for any reason. We all have our reasons and Facebook is just some silly side game that everyone gets to make a choice on. I don't like playing golf, some people don't like Facebook.
    I also won't allow my kids on social media. For what that's worth.

Ahh, the old, "Do as I say. Don't do as I do." argument. Your kids will see thru that eventually.

#75 4 years ago

I signed up for a FB account about 10-12 years ago, I guess. My cousin had gone to Mexico to do some scuba diving. He then put his photos on FB. I opened an account to see the pics.

As FB was trying to set up a home for itself in my computer I started see all of these email address start wizzing across the screen. I shut the computer off. I may have just unplugged it. I cannot remember.

And then I went looking around and discovered all of these programs/apps I could download and extract every email address that was living inside my computer. That really pissed me off that FB was just sneaking in and helping itself to information on my computer without bothering to ask me first. FB has been on my shit list ever since. FB has never been forgiven for that underhanded tactic. It even dragged out email addresses from all of those forwarded political emails with 100 + email addresses that I used to be plagued with.

Right now my account is sitting with about 25 family and distant family members friending me. And then FB asks if a friend of theirs might also be a friend of mine. It is pernicious in its practices.

#87 4 years ago
    Quoted from oldschoolbob:

Facebook – My wife has been on Facebook for years. About a month ago I finally joined just to see the pinball groups. Last week I went on and it said I have to log-on. When I tried to log-on it said my password needed to be changed and I needed to send my e-mail to get a code to log-on. I did that and entered the code. Then it said I needed to send my phone number to get a text. No way in hell am I going to send Facebook my phone number. I guess I’m just locked out of Facebook.
    Besides, what if I don’t have a phone that uses text?

Same thing just happened to my girl friend 3 weeks ago. It is one reason she could not get set up to volunteer for the humane society.

#96 4 years ago
    Quoted from RandomGuyOffCL:

This dude will become the most powerful man in the world if he isn’t already...he will be president someday...he already runs around with a secret service detail which rivals that of the US govt.

He had a lot of smiling politicians bending over and giving him the softball treatment on his recent trip to Washington. It is just going to keep on keepin' on. He'll get some FB dirt on the politicians and own them. Another J.Edgar Hoover in the making.

#97 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

That's how many of the 'tech giants' got their start.

There is a crime behind every fortune.

#151 4 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I recently looked into having an air horn (like the big rigs have)added to my truck.

I have been thinking about that a lot lately. A big rig air horn is probably illegal, but I have thought trying to find a pair of horns from a '59 Cadillac to fit on my Saturn that has such an anemic horn.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

But otherwise I think they should shut it down. Instagram, Twitter all of it. Cell phones? hate. Wish we would go back to strictly home phones. i

I won't go that that far. I had a landline until I retired in 2014. Not long after retirement, I bought a cheap cell phone to see if I would like it. 2 months later, I went cell phone only. As long as I am in living an area with good cell connection I will never go back to landline.

I have never tried Twitter or Instagram or Snapchat or this or that or....------Pinside works for me. There are enough BS conversations going on here to keep me happy.

#154 4 years ago

This has been going on for awhile. Stupid people say private stuff on a public forum. I recall 3-4 years ago reading about some young girl snagging a plum job at Cisco. She got on FB and started whining what a bitch it was going to be because she was going to have crappy commute and a couple of other small details about her new job. Seems someone of consequence at Cisco saw her rants and posted the hiring supervisor had been advised of her "unhappiness" and the job was pulled away from her.

This is not the only example of this type of action happening.

#156 4 years ago

What is interesting to me is how so many shops are signing up to use FB. Would you like to read your local paper online and make a comment about an article? My local paper is a "partner" with FB. If I wish to make a comment I need to log in to the FB icon sitting there. I made a comment about a local politician one day and some girl in Houston is agreeing with me via the magic of FB.

And it not just newspapers, a lot of sites want you to log in with FB. I imagine they get a kickback from FB for providing the traffic. It is everywhere.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

If you have not see this it is very funny. If you have seen it you know how funny it is and will probably watch it again.

You realize all of that dialog is fake. Correct? It is the AI that is coming on. You will not be able to believe anybody is saying what you just thought you heard them say. Which means we are probably going to be having an interesting election year because FB is not bound to any standards to vet the political ads it will be putting up. You will be seeing lies paraded as truth because someone can be made to look like they are saying what you see/hear when in fact it is not them speaking.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider cottonm4.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/facebook-do-you-love-it-or-hate-it?tu=cottonm4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.