Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 186 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by hAbO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s571VMI (resized).jpeg
    2018-09-11-image-34 (resized).jpg
    fb (resized).jpg
    b59192a2-6e3b-4daf-ba87-2642522bea05 (resized).jpg
    facebook_lifelog (resized).jpg
    fuck you zuckerjerk. (resized).jpg
    fuck you zuckerjerk (resized).jpg
    E6AB0FE6-6D09-4DFA-B8F0-CF4C88CCEA7A (resized).png
    FCBK_BN-REG_1385_600x_crop_center (resized).jpg
    3FEACD81-ABF8-437F-857C-8898435AB80B (resized).jpeg
    facebook2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20200115_140826 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 4 years ago

It seems like I am in the minority but I love social media, including Facebook. I don't post a ton but I definitely love reading things going on with my friends that I don't get to catch up with in person.

I'm not sure why Facebook would be the destruction of society?

PS - A large chunk of my work is data security/cyber security, so I feel like I'm pretty well versed on dark data, etc...

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

But for those who think they are avoiding big data collection by staying off FB, they are wrong. FB is only one facet of how we are tracked 24/7.

I just saw this post and 100% this! I think people would be floored if the knew all the places selling data related to them. I can almost promise you that people who are avoiding facebook have at least 1 app on their phone that is selling location data (at a minimum) to anyone with $$$.

There are very affordable services that allow you to match phone ids to troves of location and personal data.

#60 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

If you are in data security/cyber security and don't understand the problems with facebook, Giuliani's cyber firm has a position for you.

Facebook is TREMENDOUSLY bad. They use facial recognition to build profiles of people in pictures you post even if they don't have an account. They recently were caught abusing bluetooth to build profiles of phones in the proximity of people's cell phones that had the app installed, abain building profiles of people with no facebook account that made the mistake of leaving their bluetooth open. There are TONS of facebook abuse stories like this. No one should be using them, and yet, they're everywhere.

Stopping Facebook from doing that would be like picking fly shit out of the pepper. It's not like that kind of data mining stops if Facebook goes away.

Every thing you do, regardless of what it is, from walking down the street to talking to friends in person is you broadcasting data. From those direct actions, there is untold amounts of dark data created. Being able to capture and act on that dark data is what the industry has become, and it's not going to slow down. Our technology in machine learning is still so juvenile, yet can already provide insights into these massive datasets that our monkey brains can't even begin to parse.

Besides, what you are talking about isn't really cyber security. It's defining the line of what is private and what is not. It's also basic knowledge that people should be equipped with in 2020. To live a life where you aren't being picked up in dark data, you'd have to exist in a hole in the woods and never go near another human again.

Another example... as you wander around a city, there are numerous devices tracking your phone. You mentioned bluetooth, but think about the wifi on your phone. Do you turn that off when you leave the house? If not, as your phone scans for wifi networks, it's broadcasting identifiers unique to that hardware. That data eventually makes it to some large services that contribute to your overall imprint. That's something you can't do anything about other than turn all broadcasts from your phone off. You are putting that information out there and someone is making use of it.

That's just one example. If you think Facebook using bluetooth or facial recognition to identify people is TREMENDOUSLY bad, you'd have a brain explosion like in the movie Scanners if you knew the reality of it. I'd also like to introduce you to your driver's license, the original facial recognition database.

#66 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

Yep. When I'm out, wifi is off, bluetooth is off, GPS is off. The only tracking that can be done is cell tower pings, but I'm not sure if Facebook is buying that data from verizon.

That's definitely helping stay lower on the radar.

BTW, I don't have anything against people who have chosen not to use Facebook for any reason. We all have our reasons and Facebook is just some silly side game that everyone gets to make a choice on. I don't like playing golf, some people don't like Facebook.

I also won't allow my kids on social media. For what that's worth.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Wolfmarsh.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/facebook-do-you-love-it-or-hate-it?tu=Wolfmarsh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.