Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 186 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by hAbO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s571VMI (resized).jpeg
    2018-09-11-image-34 (resized).jpg
    fb (resized).jpg
    b59192a2-6e3b-4daf-ba87-2642522bea05 (resized).jpg
    facebook_lifelog (resized).jpg
    fuck you zuckerjerk. (resized).jpg
    fuck you zuckerjerk (resized).jpg
    E6AB0FE6-6D09-4DFA-B8F0-CF4C88CCEA7A (resized).png
    FCBK_BN-REG_1385_600x_crop_center (resized).jpg
    3FEACD81-ABF8-437F-857C-8898435AB80B (resized).jpeg
    facebook2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20200115_140826 (resized).jpg
    There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
    #151 4 years ago
    Quoted from ultimategameroom:

I recently looked into having an air horn (like the big rigs have)added to my truck.

I have been thinking about that a lot lately. A big rig air horn is probably illegal, but I have thought trying to find a pair of horns from a '59 Cadillac to fit on my Saturn that has such an anemic horn.

#153 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

But otherwise I think they should shut it down. Instagram, Twitter all of it. Cell phones? hate. Wish we would go back to strictly home phones. i

I won't go that that far. I had a landline until I retired in 2014. Not long after retirement, I bought a cheap cell phone to see if I would like it. 2 months later, I went cell phone only. As long as I am in living an area with good cell connection I will never go back to landline.

I have never tried Twitter or Instagram or Snapchat or this or that or....------Pinside works for me. There are enough BS conversations going on here to keep me happy.

#154 4 years ago

This has been going on for awhile. Stupid people say private stuff on a public forum. I recall 3-4 years ago reading about some young girl snagging a plum job at Cisco. She got on FB and started whining what a bitch it was going to be because she was going to have crappy commute and a couple of other small details about her new job. Seems someone of consequence at Cisco saw her rants and posted the hiring supervisor had been advised of her "unhappiness" and the job was pulled away from her.

This is not the only example of this type of action happening.

#155 4 years ago

If you have not see this it is very funny. If you have seen it you know how funny it is and will probably watch it again.

#156 4 years ago

What is interesting to me is how so many shops are signing up to use FB. Would you like to read your local paper online and make a comment about an article? My local paper is a "partner" with FB. If I wish to make a comment I need to log in to the FB icon sitting there. I made a comment about a local politician one day and some girl in Houston is agreeing with me via the magic of FB.

And it not just newspapers, a lot of sites want you to log in with FB. I imagine they get a kickback from FB for providing the traffic. It is everywhere.

#157 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

If you have not see this it is very funny. If you have seen it you know how funny it is and will probably watch it again.

You realize all of that dialog is fake. Correct? It is the AI that is coming on. You will not be able to believe anybody is saying what you just thought you heard them say. Which means we are probably going to be having an interesting election year because FB is not bound to any standards to vet the political ads it will be putting up. You will be seeing lies paraded as truth because someone can be made to look like they are saying what you see/hear when in fact it is not them speaking.

#158 4 years ago

Over 40 - You wear a tin foil hat and are convinced the government is really interested in everything you do in your meaningless life.

Under 40 - You’re self-obsessed and convinced everyone in the world needs to know everything you’re doing in your meaningless life.

#159 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

You realize all of that dialog is fake. Correct?

Uh, yes. That is why the name of the people who put this out are "A Bad Lip Reading". It is called humor . People who spend too much time interacting on Facebook and other forms of social media seem to have lost their sense of humor. They don't know a joke unless it has an emoji at the end telling them how to react

#160 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

A goal quite seriously worth working towards. So how do we do that?
    One quick campaign blurb discussion-starter off the top of my pointed bean:
    "Stop letting Facebook track your every move and share all of your personal data with anyone who'll pay them for it. Move to Pinside: the *real* center of the pinball social world online!!!"
    (And who knows? If Pinside succeeds in draining m most of the pinball community from Facebook, we could even be held up as an example for other groups devoted to other passions to follow. ("You too can dump Facebook. Because you CAN do better than Facebook.")

The problem with this wonderful eutopia you propose is that pinball then receives no exposure to those outside the hobby. We need to bring new people into the hobby to keep it going, so it seems closed minded to say you should wall off an excellent way to create exposure to pinball.

#161 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Over 40 - You wear a tin foil hat and are convinced the government is really interested in everything you do in your meaningless life.
    Under 40 - You’re self-obsessed and convinced everyone in the world needs to know everything you’re doing in your meaningless life.

Funny because it's true.

#162 4 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal_H:

Because you can bifurcate the entire population into over 40 and under 40 categories...let me up.

#163 4 years ago
    Quoted from Taxman:

Thanks...now I'm down the rabbit hole of bad lip reading's youtoube channel lol

#164 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

Thanks...now I'm down the rabbit hole of bad lip reading's youtoube channel lol

You're welcome The debate ones are great. I'm not into the music ones much.

#165 4 years ago

I disabled my account New Years day and finally deleted it after 10 years. At first, its a fun way to keep in touch, share photos and see what people are up to. Its a good thing until you get a glimpse at how insane and nutty your family and friends can be.

Friends -> A buddy of mine of 35 years and I got into an argument because he wanted me to "like" a post with a picture of him by a grave marker seen in "Night of the Living Dead" and make a positive comment. Someone light heartedly called him a nerd or something. He also made mention of that "it seemed as if I wasn't liking his posts" as much as other friends of ours. I told him he was acting like a 13 year old girl...this guy was 48 years old at the time. This wasn't a deal breaker in our friendship however I later cut ties with him and his wife.

Family-> My brother in law blocked me and unfriend my. We were friends with his "X" wife he took offence to. Mind you this was the week before this past Christmas which made our holiday gathering a bit uncomfortable.

FB was unbearable anymore seeing all the political memes and comments. Even after cleaning up my friends list and unfollowing some. Zuckerberg/FB is sh!T show with how its managed. Good riddance.

#166 4 years ago
    Quoted from hAbO:

This wasn't a deal breaker in our friendship however I cut ties with him and his wife.

Isn't that kinda the definition of "deal breaker?"

#167 4 years ago

After the FB incident, I cut ties.

#168 4 years ago

Never have, probably never will.

#169 4 years ago
    2018-09-11-image-34 (resized).jpg2018-09-11-image-34 (resized).jpg
    #170 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

The problem with this wonderful eutopia you propose is that pinball then receives no exposure to those outside the hobby. We need to bring new people into the hobby to keep it going, so it seems closed minded to say you should wall off an excellent way to create exposure to pinball.

Nice attempt at altruism for the perpetuating the hobby as a way to try to disguise your overly altruistic fantasy of Facebook being the best way of bringing new people into the hobby that you propose is incredibly short-sighted how did people get interested in the hobby before Facebook existed?

Believe it or not Facebook is not the center of the universe or the Internet despite them trying so desperately to be exactly both of those. The whole point of the Internet was that it was never supposed to have a center. If you found out that any other company was treating you and your information the way Facebook does, you'd drop them in a heartbeat and/or switch to one that's more responsible. But this wouldn't be the first time that the convenience of making bank quickly wins out over the best interests of the people.

Newsflash: we have the entire Internet at our disposal. We have YouTube, Google, live events like tournaments and expos/conferences and so many other ways to advertise and promote pinball. We have incredible media opportunities to promote pinball with things like the Project Pinball charity. And pinball keeps popping up in more arcades and locations again.

So it seems willfully ignorant to imply that without Facebook we would have a much more difficult time bringing new people into the hobby - and particularly when it has been proven time and time again that Facebook brings an overwhelming downside with it for everyone who uses it whether they want to pay attention to that or not.

#171 4 years ago

My question is- is there a site for men that is similar to facebook?

#172 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

internetisforsissies.org

#173 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

Nice attempt at altruism for the perpetuating the hobby as a way to try to disguise your overly altruistic fantasy of Facebook being the best way of bringing new people into the hobby that you propose is incredibly short-sighted how did people get interested in the hobby before Facebook existed?
    Believe it or not Facebook is not the center of the universe or the Internet despite them trying so desperately to be exactly both of those. The whole point of the Internet was that it was never supposed to have a center. If you found out that any other company was treating you and your information the way Facebook does, you'd drop them in a heartbeat and/or switch to one that's more responsible. But this wouldn't be the first time that the convenience of making bank quickly wins out over the best interests of the people.
    Newsflash: we have the entire Internet at our disposal. We have YouTube, Google, live events like tournaments and expos/conferences and so many other ways to advertise and promote pinball. We have incredible media opportunities to promote pinball with things like the Project Pinball charity. And pinball keeps popping up in more arcades and locations again.
    So it seems willfully ignorant to imply that without Facebook we would have a much more difficult time bringing new people into the hobby - and particularly when it has been proven time and time again that Facebook brings an overwhelming downside with it for everyone who uses it whether they want to pay attention to that or not.

I'm not trying to promote FB based on some altruistic perpetuation of pinball. I'm not sure how you mistake my comment as altruism, but it doesn't really matter.

Yes, I want people to be exposed to pinball because I love it. It's just a fact that literally billions of people use FB on a daily basis to connect with the world around them (compared to the few thousand that might use Pinside), so to ignore FB as a means to introduce people to pinball is just naive. I'm not sure how anyone could advocate so vehemently for the use of all these other online arenas that do the exact same sort of data collection and selling that FB does. Again, your comment is woefully naive.

#174 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

I'm not trying to promote FB based on some altruistic perpetuation of pinball. I'm not sure how you mistake my comment as altruism, but it doesn't really matter.
    Yes, I want people to be exposed to pinball because I love it. It's just a fact that literally billions of people use FB on a daily basis to connect with the world around them (compared to the few thousand that might use Pinside), so to ignore FB as a means to introduce people to pinball is just naive. I'm not sure how anyone could advocate so vehemently for the use of all these other online arenas that do the exact same sort of data collection and selling that FB does. Again, your comment is woefully naive.

And your comment is woefully ignorant and/or incredibly dismissive of the issues with the biggest offender of them all: Facebook. None of them will change if Facebook isn't compelled to change. But that would likely affect your stock portfolio, wouldn't it?

#175 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

Facebook brings an overwhelming downside with it for everyone who uses it

So you're a "No" on Facebook.
    Got it.

#176 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheRudyB:

But that would likely affect your stock portfolio, wouldn't it?

s571VMI (resized).jpegs571VMI (resized).jpeg
    #177 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Pinside.

LTG : )

#178 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

[quoted image]

And I clearly hit the right one with my one and only jump.

#179 4 years ago
    Quoted from tp:

I'm part of the resistance. Hoping it implodes someday like myspace. Sooner the better, although I guess it's great for small businesses.

My small business isn't on it. Nor am I.

I've only looked from the outside but to me it has the feel of AOL from the 90's - something for the folks who couldn't figure out what to do with that Internet thing. Just like I don't sit in my car when I'm not going somewhere, I don't seek content when I'm not searching for something or trying to learn something.

-Rob
    -visit http://www.kahr.us to get my daughterboard that helps fix WPC pinball resets or my replacement LED display boards for model H & model S Skee Ball

#180 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Just another part of this disposable society we have created. If we're so "woke" then why can't anyone see where we're headed?

You hit the nail on the head my friend. This is really the thing. There is no goal. No strategy. No direction. We are making all of this technology. To what end? Sure there’s motivations why individuals or companies are doing it (mainly money) but there’s no plan ultimate plan here. Nothing noble about how any of it will better the world the people or creatures here.

#181 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have been thinking about that a lot lately. A big rig air horn is probably illegal, but I have thought trying to find a pair of horns from a '59 Cadillac to fit on my Saturn that has such an anemic horn.

I’m sure laws vary by state.
    My brothers friend was messing around with installing a air horn that they use on locomotive trains on his truck.
    Big rig horns are loud but locomotive horns are extremely loud.

1 year later
    #182 2 years ago

It was a good platform when it first started to gain traction in the mid-late 2000's but began to go downhill once the groups ditched the traditional message board format and placed everything in a centralized "feed". As a result, it is hard to find the information you are looking for and people keep creating clutter by asking the same questions over and over ad nauseum. My account of 14 years has been deactivated for the better part of the last year. Can't say I miss it much honestly.

#183 2 years ago

China loves it, that's for sure.

#184 2 years ago

Surprised to hear you think everyone is joining. Everyone I know dumped it earlier in the year. Everyone I asked said it broke off more friendships than it created. I never joined the Faceborg.

#185 2 years ago

I’m indifferent to FB; I view it as a tool. I like the groups I am in and ignore everything else.

#186 2 years ago
    Quoted from Methos:

China loves it, that's for sure.

Dont forget about Russia

There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/facebook-do-you-love-it-or-hate-it/page/4?hl=viggin900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.