Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 186 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by hAbO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s571VMI (resized).jpeg
    2018-09-11-image-34 (resized).jpg
    fb (resized).jpg
    b59192a2-6e3b-4daf-ba87-2642522bea05 (resized).jpg
    facebook_lifelog (resized).jpg
    fuck you zuckerjerk. (resized).jpg
    fuck you zuckerjerk (resized).jpg
    E6AB0FE6-6D09-4DFA-B8F0-CF4C88CCEA7A (resized).png
    FCBK_BN-REG_1385_600x_crop_center (resized).jpg
    3FEACD81-ABF8-437F-857C-8898435AB80B (resized).jpeg
    facebook2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20200115_140826 (resized).jpg
    There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 4 years ago

I have never tried the face page, dont sound as if I am missing much.

#102 4 years ago

Zuckerjerk won't get me

The strangest thing regarding this thread is that those guys who love Zuckerbook that much they do not even recognize that there still are people who do not need it and take no care about it at all.
    I give a F*** about what can be set 'private' and who else could visit "my" site. It's Zuckerjerk and his Sugar-Mountain-Crew (or should it be called SUGARHILL-GANG 2.0) who take track of each and any move you make. They know everything about you and they can kiss my A** do you understand?

fuck you zuckerjerk (resized).jpgfuck you zuckerjerk (resized).jpgfuck you zuckerjerk. (resized).jpgfuck you zuckerjerk. (resized).jpg

#103 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I think what is more disturbing is what was the growing attitude that you were some strange person if you DON'T have a facebook account.

I carry a company issued smart phone, the Verizon store guy was astounded I didn't have a Google account.

How will you load apps? He asked.

I won't was the reply. And then I gutted the phone of all the pre-installed ones.

#104 4 years ago

Here’s the opening paragraphs of the history section of the Facebook page from Wikipedia. It’s worth it to read the entire Wikipedia entry for Facebook when you have time as these paragraphs only begin to look past the tip and peek beneath the waterline of the sewage in which Zuckerberg’s turdburg floats.

Gotta love Zuckface saying “… the benefits are many” after its evolution to that point without one shred of concern, care or thought about any downsides. Add in the stellar reputations of Parker and Thiel and their motivations along with the original motivation behind Facebook’s creation and it’s crystal clear that Facebook would become an addictive substance that would wreak infinitely more havoc on the world and would far outweigh any benefits it might provide.

=====

Zuckerberg built a website called "Facemash" in 2003 while attending Harvard University. The site was comparable to Hot or Not and used "photos compiled from the online facebooks of nine Houses, placing two next to each other at a time and asking users to choose the "hotter" person". Facemash attracted 450 visitors and 22,000 photo-views in its first four hours. The site was sent to several campus group list-servers, but was shut down a few days later by Harvard administration. Zuckerberg faced expulsion and was charged with breaching security, violating copyrights and violating individual privacy. Ultimately, the charges were dropped. Zuckerberg expanded on this project that semester by creating a social study tool ahead of an art history final exam. He uploaded all art images to a website, each of which was accompanied by a comments section, then shared the site with his classmates.

A "face book" is a student directory featuring photos and personal information. In 2003, Harvard had only a paper version along with private online directories. Zuckerberg told the Crimson, "Everyone's been talking a lot about a universal face book within Harvard. ... I think it's kind of silly that it would take the University a couple of years to get around to it. I can do it better than they can, and I can do it in a week." In January 2004, Zuckerberg coded a new website, known as "TheFacebook", inspired by a Crimson editorial about Facemash, stating, "It is clear that the technology needed to create a centralized Website is readily available ... the benefits are many." Zuckerberg met with Harvard student Eduardo Saverin, and each of them agreed to invest $1,000 in the site. On February 4, 2004, Zuckerberg launched "TheFacebook", originally located at thefacebook.com.

Six days after the site launched, Harvard seniors Cameron Winklevoss, Tyler Winklevoss, and Divya Narendra accused Zuckerberg of intentionally misleading them into believing that he would help them build a social network called HarvardConnection.com. They claimed that he was instead using their ideas to build a competing product. The three complained to the Crimson and the newspaper began an investigation. They later sued Zuckerberg, settling in 2008 for 1.2 million shares (worth $300 million at Facebook's IPO).

Membership was initially restricted to students of Harvard College. Within a month, more than half the undergraduates had registered. Dustin Moskovitz, Andrew McCollum, and Chris Hughes joined Zuckerberg to help manage the growth of the website. In March 2004, Facebook expanded to Columbia, Stanford and Yale. It then became available to all Ivy League colleges, Boston University, New York University, MIT, and successively most universities in the United States and Canada.

In mid-2004, Napster co-founder and entrepreneur Sean Parker—an informal advisor to Zuckerberg—became company president. In June 2004, the company moved to Palo Alto, California. It received its first investment later that month from PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel. In 2005, the company dropped "the" from its name after purchasing the domain name Facebook.com for US$200,000. The domain had belonged to AboutFace Corporation.

#105 4 years ago

I do have to laugh at all the old curmudgeons on here whose only experience with Facebook is what their other curmudgeonly friends told them about it. Facebook is exactly what you make of it. If you are too dumb to set it up in a way that doesn't trigger you, that is on you. You can filter out exactly what you want and don't want to see. Join the groups suited to your interests. You can block idiots from seeing you, and you seeing them. You don't have to have any friends, and if you decide to accept them...you can put them on ignore and not see their feed. I've bought and sold far more pinball machines through Facebook Marketplace than through Craigslist and Pinside combined. Facebook is exactly what you want to make of it. If you are a negative person and want it to be a shit show, that is exactly what you will get.

#106 4 years ago

Have never been on face book and have no desire to sign on. The wife belongs and has tried to get me to sign up but it will never happen.

#107 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I do have to laugh at all the old curmudgeons on here whose only experience with Facebook is what their other curmudgeonly friends told them about it. Facebook is exactly what you make of it. If you are too dumb to set it up in a way that doesn't trigger you, that is on you. You can filter out exactly what you want and don't want to see. Join the groups suited to your interests. You can block idiots from seeing you, and you seeing them. You don't have to have any friends, and if you decide to accept them...you can put them on ignore and not see their feed. I've bought and sold far more pinball machines through Facebook Marketplace than through Craigslist and Pinside combined. Facebook is exactly what you want to make of it. If you are a negative person and want it to be a shit show, that is exactly what you will get.

And we old curmudgeons on here - who have actually used Facebook and gave it a decent chance (3+ years for me) but came to realize that Facebook is anything but the rainbow farts and unicorn poop that the naive brainwashed masses are either blissfully ignorant of or choose to blissfully ignore - shake our heads and laugh at them in that funny-sad way.

“Exactly what you make of it” is total Facebook blue pill. If you are too dumb to take the Facebook red pill, that’s on you.

#108 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I carry a company issued smart phone, the Verizon store guy was astounded I didn't have a Google account.
    How will you load apps? He asked.
    I won't was the reply. And then I gutted the phone of all the pre-installed ones.

I’m in my late 40’s and have never bothered with any social media at all.
    Google account?
    I don’t know or care what it is or why I would ever need/want one.
    I email ,text ,call and spend time with the people I want and need to interact with.

All I know about social media is what I saw on the news last year where a study exposed the fact that the more most people use social media the more unhappy they are!

I have to assume that most of the numbskulls sitting thru green traffic lights are distracted due to posting / etc.
    I’ve got 45 seconds at this Red traffic light.... I guess I better let everyone know I just had Cheerios for breakfast and took a big dump.

When the light turns green if the driver in the car in front of me sits there screwing with their phone I’m on the horn waking their distracted ass up.
    A Green traffic light means GO Fuckhead !
    I recently looked into having an air horn (like the big rigs have)added to my truck.
    The factory Ford horn lacks in the wake the F up volume dept.

#109 4 years ago

If you hate Facebook and love humor. Go to the chive and subscribe. This article mentions how Facebook killed Cracked, Funny or die, break.com and now college humor. Facebook wants to have the internet as a platform biased, not web based. Meaning you wouldn’t search independently for things, you would log onto Facebook internet and they will spoon feed you things they decide you want. Your searches won’t leave the Facebook bubble.

Eventually they will come for pinside. They want it all

https://thechive.com/2020/01/15/college-humor-collapses-and-facebooks-endgame-nearly-complete-8-photos/

#110 4 years ago

Years ago I wrote ‘10 Reasons Why I Avoid Social Networking Services.’

https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-reasons-why-i-avoid-social-networking-services/

I make an exception for Pinside because of my love for pinball and my desire to pass on what I have learned about restoring old pins. Pinside is one of the ‘good’ social networking sites.

These days, not only do I not use Facebook for the ten reasons listed in the linked article above, but I really dislike just trying to read Facebook. It seems you are bombarded with annoying pop-ups trying to get you to you ‘Log In’ or ‘Create New Account.’ So far I have avoided joining their happy little family, but there are always those nagging messages - “Pecos, join the dark side.”

#111 4 years ago

I hate Facebook mainly because I see how stupid people act over it. When we have Christmas and stuff my girlfriends daughters are taking pictures and posting them to let everyone know what we are doing in real time. They cant even wait until after the party is over, pisses me off.

I think its dumber than F and I will never ever have a Facebook page. I dont want people to know everything that I am doing and I'm not trying to impress anyone with what I have either. I guess I'm just an old angry bastard but that's ok, I can live with that.

#112 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pecos:

Years ago I wrote ‘10 Reasons Why I Avoid Social Networking Services.’
    https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10-things/10-reasons-why-i-avoid-social-networking-services/
    I make an exception for Pinside because of my love for pinball and my desire to pass on what I have learned about restoring old pins. Pinside is one of the ‘good’ social networking sites.
    These days, not only do I not use Facebook for the ten reasons listed in the linked article above, but I really dislike just trying to read Facebook. It seems you are bombarded with annoying pop-ups trying to get you to you ‘Log In’ or ‘Create New Account.’ So far I have avoided joining their happy little family, but there are always those nagging messages - “Pecos, join the dark side.”

I'll just leave this right here.

Coincidence or not I'll leave for you to decide.

facebook_lifelog (resized).jpgfacebook_lifelog (resized).jpg
    #113 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

I do have to laugh at all the old curmudgeons

Three cheers to all the old curmudgeons! My brothers. My fellow resistors of corporate spies.

#114 4 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Does Pinside collect every bit of your personal data and sell it to anyone who will buy it? Asking for a friend

Let's be real, anything you post online is accessible by anyone at any given point. Facebook just does it in plain sight. If you've been online, you've been "compromised." Best way to stay private is to stay off "the grid," but then again, we can't all be at the same place complaining about the same thing, right?

#115 4 years ago

I am on facebook under a false identity to speak strictly with one close buddy who now lives in Alberta. But otherwise I think they should shut it down. Instagram, Twitter all of it. Cell phones? hate. Wish we would go back to strictly home phones. i mean yeah they have their moments but those moments are far outweighed but the inconveniences and general harassment they provide. We were better off years ago in terms of this particular tech. Email is enough in terms of Social Media. Oh Yeah

#116 4 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

FB is nothing but trouble. It's a place where people have no respect for other people's relationships and use the site as a dating app or for stalking. I've seen more than one relationship get ruined because of that site. Ironically checking in to locations or who youre with can get them same people in a bind.
    Pinside is as far as I go in the social media world.

I hate Facebook and I think its stupid but you cant blame it for ruining relationships. Facebook does not ruin relationships, unfaithful people do.

#117 4 years ago

I hate Netscape

#118 4 years ago

I like to post pictures of my dog on Facebook!

b59192a2-6e3b-4daf-ba87-2642522bea05 (resized).jpgb59192a2-6e3b-4daf-ba87-2642522bea05 (resized).jpg
    #119 4 years ago

I print out the daily posts on my facebook page and read them while I take a bath

#120 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

If you are in data security/cyber security and don't understand the problems with facebook, Giuliani's cyber firm has a position for you.
    Facebook is TREMENDOUSLY bad. They use facial recognition to build profiles of people in pictures you post even if they don't have an account. They recently were caught abusing bluetooth to build profiles of phones in the proximity of people's cell phones that had the app installed, using that to build profiles of people with no facebook account that made the mistake of leaving their bluetooth open. There are TONS of facebook abuse stories like this. No one should be using them, and yet, they're everywhere.

Let's not forget the social score ratings and cashless push.

#121 4 years ago

I quit a couple years ago (deleted my account). I had only joined because my family wanted to use it to communicate. But the outright social manipulation on Facebook really irritated me. So I dumped it. If a company or event I’m interested in only has Facebook, then I’m out, they won’t be able to communicate with me, and that’s fine.

#122 4 years ago

It's useful for some things. It's harmful for some things. It's a net meh.

#123 4 years ago

Everyone is collecting your data and movements these days. Even Home Depot and Lowes are using facial recognition software on everyone that comes in their stores. ( https://www.privacy-formula.com/reader/home-depot-and-lowes-are-secretly-using-facial-recognition-cameras-to-track-customers-say-lawsuits/) I am sure many others are also. Police are using plate scanner cars everywhere now. Push comes to shove, they can use this information against you. Your car is most likely feeding GPS information back to the manufacturer. Unfortunately, it is the world we live in now. You could always become a monk?

#125 4 years ago

I have never been on Facebook nor do I plan on going on it.

#126 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Your car is most likely feeding GPS information back to the manufacturer.

Generally not but they can.

I can just speak for what I know about Chrysler, there is a device that tracks your GPS location while driving and store the information in a module in the event of a crash. It can be read if the modules are pulled and sent back to Chrysler with the proper paperwork by authorities. It is strictly a receiver not a transmitting device.

GM is different with On-Star, lots of data sharing there I'm told. One of the interesting nuggets was what you are listening to on the entertainment system is relayed back for marketing purposes.

#127 4 years ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I got off several years ago, best. thing. ever.

Getting off is the best

#128 4 years ago

I personally don't love or hate it. I do not belong or care to ever. Same with all other social media. I do not see it improving my life any anyway.

#129 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Everyone is collecting your data and movements these days. Even Home Depot and Lowes are using facial recognition software on everyone that comes in their stores. ( https://www.privacy-formula.com/reader/home-depot-and-lowes-are-secretly-using-facial-recognition-cameras-to-track-customers-say-lawsuits/) I am sure many others are also. Police are using plate scanner cars everywhere now. Push comes to shove, they can use this information against you. Your car is most likely feeding GPS information back to the manufacturer. Unfortunately, it is the world we live in now. You could always become a monk?

“Everyone is doing it” is a piss-poor reason to choose to become a monk and even more of a piss-poor reason to think about (let alone accept and ignore) the harmful effects of something.

Sure sounds like what is going on regarding Facebook.

#130 4 years ago

Just another part of this disposable society we have created. If we're so "woke" then why can't anyone see where we're headed?

#131 4 years ago
    Quoted from RWH:

Just another part of this disposable society we have created. If we're so "woke" then why can't anyone see where we're headed?

Ok boomer (I don't know what that means, but it's a thing...)

#132 4 years ago
    Quoted from loneacer:

Ok boomer (I don't know what that means, but it's a thing...)

It’s because you’re old and crusty and can’t comprehend the superior intellect and “wokeness” of the younger generations. So that’s their “eye roll” comment to anything you have say.

By the way, I’m with you. Apparently I have no idea how the real world works even though I’ve actually lived it for more than twice the length they have. Also I don’t do any social media BS.

#133 4 years ago

Yes I am a Boomer and proud of it! They had face book during our time, they just called it a mug shot back then. Then everyone knew your name.

#134 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I hate Facebook and I think its stupid but you cant blame it for ruining relationships. Facebook does not ruin relationships, unfaithful people do.

It's all about situations and opportunity. If an old flame decides to "friend" someone on FB that is in a rocky relationship, it can be a slippery slope. It makes cheating easier for someone that might not normally be inclined to do so then if they had to actually go out to meet someone new. It ups the level of temptation and I don't think there's any question about it (IMO).

#135 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

Let's be real, anything you post online is accessible by anyone at any given point. Facebook just does it in plain sight. If you've been online, you've been "compromised." Best way to stay private is to stay off "the grid," but then again, we can't all be at the same place complaining about the same thing, right?

Everyone likes to say this when you talk about it as if it is some sort of excuse. Most people who know anything about technology understands that pretty much everything connected to the net is tracking you and collecting data on you. Most of it is harmless on the surface. It's not about tin foil hats, it's just simply choosing what you use or do not use. The truth is that something like GPS is far more important to me than a messaging app for example. Facebook is not a necessary item in anyone's life. There are tons of ways to stay in touch with people. The problem is how the bulk of the people actually use it. It has its uses, don't get me wrong. I've been 'on' it in bands and other groups, even though I do not have my own account. I simply have no use for it for myself. That could change in the future.

#136 4 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

It's all about situations and opportunity. If an old flame decides to "friend" someone on FB that is in a rocky relationship, it can be a slippery slope. It makes cheating easier for someone that might not normally be inclined to do so then if they had to actually go out to meet someone new. It ups the level of temptation and I don't think there's any question about it (IMO).

Buddy of mine indicates in his divorce Facebook was a large factor, his wife spent more time on FB than with her family.

Its like a drug and some people are more prone to abuse than others.

#137 4 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

I sort of agree but if someone really and truly loves their spouse there isn't anything that could ever make them cheat.

#138 4 years ago

All I can say is that I've bought and sold a few machines via Facebook. For that alone, it's worth it

#139 4 years ago

The real bullshit is how facebook (and others) track everything you do on the Internet, even if you don't have an account, with invisible images.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_beacon

#140 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

All I can say is that I've bought and sold a few machines via Facebook. For that alone, it's worth it

Coincidentally enough, the blue in the Facebook logo is the exact same Pantone color as their the blue pills they dispense when they need to discourage people from taking the red pills.

#141 4 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I sort of agree but if someone really and truly loves their spouse there isn't anything that could ever make them cheat.

You're right, I think that's true, but my point still stands. Either way, I have zero desire to be apart of the FB machine.

#142 4 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

You're right, I think that's true, but my point still stands. Either way, I have zero desire to be apart of the FB machine.

Better hope your wife doesn't work with any males in the workplace as well...its just as likely, if not more likely to happen there if it is going to happen.

#143 4 years ago

I like Facebook. It's a nice way for friends and relatives from far away to stay in contact. I know my in-laws in particular enjoy seeing pictures of their grandkids. I don't post much, but my wife does a good job of posting some of our adventures. It's basically the new photo album. We will also start group video chats on Messenger and let all the cousins talk with each other. It has also been my most successful source for local buying and selling. I've joined several of the pinball groups. It's taken over Craigslist. I don't even mind the targeting advertising. Right now the ads are ski gloves and board games. I'd rather see those ads then random junk.

#144 4 years ago

Facebook is alright but it seems like it’s getting way to personal such as keeping track of you,when and where you were at or where you are..ect

#145 4 years ago
    Quoted from JodyG:

Better hope your wife doesn't work with any males in the workplace as well...its just as likely, if not more likely to happen there if it is going to happen.

You're really missing the point! Clearly you're a big FB cheerleader/fan, so enjoy.

#146 4 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

You're really missing the point! Clearly you're a big FB cheerleader/fan, so enjoy.

Facebook provides the opportunity to connect with people. If your relationship is at a point where you are worried about your significant other connecting with others then, in my opinion, it's probably not a healthy relationship to begin with. I'm not sure it's any more fair to blame that on Facebook, then it is to blame video games for mass shootings.

#147 4 years ago

At this point I really only use Facebook for the marketplace and to post photos so my grandma can see them. My biggest gripe about FB is that its become a soapbox for idiots to post prefabricated memes that are usually factually incorrect that support their political agenda(left and right). If there really is a political divide in the country, I'm sure much of the blame could be laid on Facebooks hands. When I started using Facebook back when it required a college email address it was more about a community of friends to post actual things you did instead of the fake ad, political, viral video hellscape its become now.

#148 4 years ago
    fb (resized).jpgfb (resized).jpg
    #149 4 years ago

Can you imagine how sweet it would be if all the facebook pinball groups just utilized Pinside instead?

#150 4 years ago
    Quoted from mrm_4:

Can you imagine how sweet it would be if all the facebook pinball groups just utilized Pinside instead?

A goal quite seriously worth working towards. So how do we do that?
    One quick campaign blurb discussion-starter off the top of my pointed bean:

"Stop letting Facebook track your every move and share all of your personal data with anyone who'll pay them for it. Move to Pinside: the *real* center of the pinball social world online!!!"

(And who knows? If Pinside succeeds in draining m most of the pinball community from Facebook, we could even be held up as an example for other groups devoted to other passions to follow. ("You too can dump Facebook. Because you CAN do better than Facebook.")

There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/facebook-do-you-love-it-or-hate-it/page/3?hl=therudyb and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.