Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 186 posts
  • 91 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by hAbO
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

s571VMI (resized).jpeg
    2018-09-11-image-34 (resized).jpg
    fb (resized).jpg
    b59192a2-6e3b-4daf-ba87-2642522bea05 (resized).jpg
    facebook_lifelog (resized).jpg
    fuck you zuckerjerk. (resized).jpg
    fuck you zuckerjerk (resized).jpg
    E6AB0FE6-6D09-4DFA-B8F0-CF4C88CCEA7A (resized).png
    FCBK_BN-REG_1385_600x_crop_center (resized).jpg
    3FEACD81-ABF8-437F-857C-8898435AB80B (resized).jpeg
    facebook2 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    20200115_140826 (resized).jpg
    There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
    #1 4 years ago

I cannot stand Facebook. I feel like the world is passing me by because it seems like everything is moving to Facebook. My girlfriend was recently enquiring about doing some volunteer work at the local Humane Society/animal shelter. She was told to go fill out some information on a Facebook page. That ended her thoughts about volunteering.

I have had several retail service people send me emails asking me to give them a good recommendation for a service they performed for me. And then they link me to their FB crap. So, they do not get any recommendation from me.

None of my family that is still living send an email to communicate about something. Instead, they want to "friend" me so I can read them prattling on about how " I just put some cookies in the oven to bake. They should be ready in 20 minutes". And 25 minutes later they post, " I took the cookies from the oven and let them cool. They sure are good." Sorry, folks. That is not a conversation.

I don't have time for that stuff.

Am I alone in my dislike for FB?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I cannot stand Facebook. I feel like the world is passing me by because it seems like everything is moving to Facebook. My girlfriend was recently enquiring about doing some volunteer work at the local Humane Society/animal shelter. She was told to go fill out some information on a Facebook page. That ended her thoughts about volunteering.
    I have had several retail service people send me emails asking me to give them a good recommendation for a service they performed for me. And then they link me to their FB crap. So, they do not get any recommendation from me.
    None of my family that is still living send an email to communicate about something. Instead, they want to "friend" me so I can read them prattling on about how " I just put some cookies in the oven to bake. They should be ready in 20 minutes". And 25 minutes later they post, " I took the cookies from the oven and let them cool. They sure are good." Sorry, folks. That is not a conversation.
    Am I alone in my dislike for FB?

FB is A LOT like pinside. You subscribe to the things you like, and ignore the things you don't. You make what you want out of it. If you have "friends" that annoy the hell out of you, don't follow their feeds. Goes for family also. FB can be a good source of happenings in the pinball world. There are people that use FB, but not Pinside, and obviously, vice versa, and of course, both. Just like Pinside, if you don't like the content, then "drain" it and you won't see it again.

#3 4 years ago

Only reason I signed up for FB is to look at pinball tournaments coming up and games for sale.

#4 4 years ago

I won't use it for many reasons. "If the product is free, then you are the product" is a big reason.

Yes, it means I miss out on stuff that happens on Facebook, but I can live with that. People who want to communicate with me will find ways to do it, and if they don't, then I'm not a big enough priority and I accept that.

I have an oldschool blog (wordpress) where I share my thoughts about business or my experiences every week. Those that make the effort to go there to read it will find value in it. But you have to make the effort since my posts won't just show up in your feed automatically. Again, I can accept that.

I consume my news by actually visiting websites and reading articles that jump out at me, so my worldview isn't built by an algorithm.

My life overall is quieter, I call it "Decelerated".

#5 4 years ago

I'm not on it so it doesn't bother me either way.
    My friends & I have had our personal message board for like 15 years or some shit so that's how I get my fill of people I know.

#6 4 years ago

Hate. Hate. Hate. Zuckercheese will eventually join Steve Jobs in Hell to count their money.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

I'm not on it so it doesn't bother me either way.

Facebook? I'm not on it either. Although I do think you have to face a book in order to read it.

#8 4 years ago

Friends? who needs em when I have pinball...

#9 4 years ago

Had it for a week, hated it!
    Facebook free live is a relaxed live, not missing anything.
    Hate the "look at me" generation we are in!

#10 4 years ago

I use it only for events, marketplace, and messenger. I unfollow basically everyone that friends me, so when I scroll FB all I get are ads for games for sale or groups for hobbies that I enjoy.

Here's the first thing in my feed.

20200115_140826 (resized).jpg20200115_140826 (resized).jpg
    #11 4 years ago

Have a FB account, never use it, don't accept friend requests.

I don't need another rabbit hole time suck in my life.

-mof

#12 4 years ago

Facebook is the harbinger of destruction. I won't be surprised if it's the reason for the utter collapse of our society. I have never seen such an instrument that can be so good at bringing people together while at the same time destructively driving them apart.

#13 4 years ago

Hate Facebook, I deactivated my account 4 years ago along with all other "mainstream" social media profiles (Twitter/instagram)
    Its amazing how they mask spying on your every move and conversation by calling it advertising.

This site is about as far as I go with social media

#14 4 years ago

I use it. Never thought if I love it or hate it.

Good for my business. Good for tech support.

And good for a few laughs.

Use accordingly.

LTG : )

#15 4 years ago

I'm part of the resistance. Hoping it implodes someday like myspace. Sooner the better, although I guess it's great for small businesses.

#16 4 years ago

I use it but all it is for me is pinball buy and sell

#17 4 years ago

Got rid of it 5 years ago. Haven't looked back and dont miss it either. I've been better off without it.

#18 4 years ago

Not on it. Never will be!!

#19 4 years ago

fakebook

#20 4 years ago

Hey OP, this needs a poll!

I have never been on fakebook, and I never plan to. Some people love it, and some people hate they ever seen it.

I do like reading local news stories where someone robs a bank or whatever and post pics of the loot on FB.

#21 4 years ago

Never been on it, don't plan to.

#22 4 years ago

I use it for pinball, but mostly to stay in touch with scattered family. I don't do political posts or pass along any of the garbage that clutters up most accounts. If you monitor your setting and turn off the tracking and limit everting to strictly friends, it isn't a bad place. Get rid of what you don't want to see. Social media can be a good thing for you, but like everything else, it needs to be in moderation, and you need to understand and pay attention to what you are doing, and what you are agreeing to. I do the same with my cell phones....I am way more scared of them and what they do than I am of anything in facebook. lol

#23 4 years ago

Sometimes I buy and sell stuff. FB marketplace is working better than CL these days for me. To a much lesser extent, I give a crap about the social aspects of it.

#24 4 years ago

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#25 4 years ago

Love it for pinball and classic video games. A lot of great groups on there. For other things, not so much.

#26 4 years ago

I just do groups and follow pages anymore. I see no value in following individuals and seeing posts about their beach vacation or that their baking chocolate chip cookies. I haven't posted anything on my own page since last July.

#27 4 years ago

For me it's a love/hate thing. I like keeping up with the local and regional pinball communities, looking for pins for sale, and finding tournaments/events that are increasingly sharing information only via FB. I hate the way FB tracks our data to the point they can send us targeted ads so accurate it feels like they are reading our fucking minds. But for those who think they are avoiding big data collection by staying off FB, they are wrong. FB is only one facet of how we are tracked 24/7.

#28 4 years ago
    facebook2 (resized).jpgfacebook2 (resized).jpg
    #29 4 years ago
    Quoted from cottonm4:

I have the time for it, I just don't give a shit.

Only reason I'm on FB is to get out information about my business. It is the easiest and most effective way to share info on my locations, games, tournaments, etc. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't be on it. And once I stop routing pins, I'll probably delete my account.

#31 4 years ago

Facebook gets weird when you reply on a friends post and many of his friends are not your friends. There's some nasty friends of friends out there.

#32 4 years ago

it is what it is

going though my current medical issues, facebook has helped me connect with others going though similar issues, and thus has been very helpful

#33 4 years ago

Was on it for a couple years, tried various ways of making it useful for me. Hated it.

Only good for pictures of cats.

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from FatPanda:

FB is A LOT like pinside. You subscribe to the things you like, and ignore the things you don't. You make what you want out of it. If you have "friends" that annoy the hell out of you, don't follow their feeds. Goes for family also. FB can be a good source of happenings in the pinball world. There are people that use FB, but not Pinside, and obviously, vice versa, and of course, both. Just like Pinside, if you don't like the content, then "drain" it and you won't see it again.

Does Pinside collect every bit of your personal data and sell it to anyone who will buy it? Asking for a friend

#35 4 years ago

Gives me something to do while I poop.

#36 4 years ago

ITT: If you ask old people if they don't like something new, they tell you!

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

it is what it is
    going though my current medical issues, facebook has helped me connect with others going though similar issues, and thus has been very helpful

Agreed. I belong to a local community group and recently found out a high school classmate died. I wouldn't have known that otherwise.

I also hear about every fucking dog and cat that's lost/found.

#38 4 years ago

I don't mind it for keeping in contact with family and friends. The groups feature is also nice. My complaints are with how Facebook is used by others. Regular political posts, and other random non stop posting gets annoying after a while. Thankfully there's an unfollow and snooze feature!

#39 4 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

My life overall is quieter,

Hahahaha. “Quieter” Says the happy hardcore guy.

I hate facebook too, there should be a poll with this one.

And for something completely different...Not exactly the most peaceful music

#40 4 years ago

I joined around the time it first started and stayed on, but not very active for a while. Then deleted my account and didn't get back on for over 2 years. Made a new account and started fresh. I recently deleted most of my "friends". If I haven't seen you in person in 25 years, you probably aren't my friend. I have around 30 contacts on there now and they are pretty much all family or recent/current co-workers. The only thing I find useful is the few groups I'm a part of. I like seeing when local pinball machines are up for sale and I belong to a few eBay and Amazon seller groups.

#41 4 years ago
    Quoted from T-800:

Facebook is the harbinger of destruction. I won't be surprised if it's the reason for the utter collapse of our society. I have never seen such an instrument that can be so good at bringing people together while at the same time destructively driving them apart.

Agree 100%. It’s nasty.

#42 4 years ago

It seems like I am in the minority but I love social media, including Facebook. I don't post a ton but I definitely love reading things going on with my friends that I don't get to catch up with in person.

I'm not sure why Facebook would be the destruction of society?

PS - A large chunk of my work is data security/cyber security, so I feel like I'm pretty well versed on dark data, etc...

#43 4 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I also hear about every dog and cat that's lost/found.

or abused...

#44 4 years ago

I am not on Facebook and yet somehow still manage to live a happy and fulfilling life.

#45 4 years ago
    Quoted from JustEverett:

But for those who think they are avoiding big data collection by staying off FB, they are wrong. FB is only one facet of how we are tracked 24/7.

I just saw this post and 100% this! I think people would be floored if the knew all the places selling data related to them. I can almost promise you that people who are avoiding facebook have at least 1 app on their phone that is selling location data (at a minimum) to anyone with $$$.

There are very affordable services that allow you to match phone ids to troves of location and personal data.

#46 4 years ago

Whats facebook? I use myspace. All the cool kids do

#47 4 years ago
    Quoted from amkoepfer:

Whats facebook? I use myspace. All the cool kids do

MySpace is where it’s at.

FB has learned that I don’t care about what any of my “friends” are doing so it just shows me pinball stuff.

#48 4 years ago

In the words of “Johnny Lawrence,” in Cobra Kai; “What’s a Facebook?”

Don’t use it because I don’t want to be a further part of the mass surveillance system. It amazes me that Edward Snowden spelled it out for everyone, but everyone goes on without a care.

#49 4 years ago

Not to mention that the FB feeds are cluttered with spam advertising posts since the last year or so. Hafta wade thru them to get to a friend's post. Kind of ridiculus.

#50 4 years ago

Don’t tweet, no Instagram and no Facebook. Wished my phone still hung on the wall. Relatives can’t believe I’m not on Facebook. Hate text messages. Love parting ways with my iPhone on the weekends.

There are 186 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/facebook-do-you-love-it-or-hate-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.