(Topic ID: 225714)

FA - HUGE JDRF Charity Auction!!!!!!!!!!!

By Bryan_Kelly

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1193 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1190 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1192 (resized).jpg
    evolution.jpg
    IMG_1189 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1188 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1187 (resized).jpg
    IMG_1186 (resized).jpg
    JDRF.png
    E4397357-4542-46EC-A159-BE467D5CD37B (resized).jpeg
    13C4FB6C-D5C7-45D5-804D-D16F1F909D47 (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpeg
    B351D626-E03E-4370-88A2-00C28F50A09A (resized).jpeg
    slide_1 (resized).jpg
    custom_cups_pic_1024x1024 (resized).png
    2017-08-20_10-58-49_925 (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.
    #101 5 years ago

Well....I'd say gramps did all right last night. This was after about 45 carbs worth of hotdogs and cheeseballs for dinner....cause that's what we have when we have a sleepover with gramps.

IMG_1186 (resized).jpgIMG_1186 (resized).jpg
    #102 5 years ago

And now the roller coaster starts. Breakfast was going to be a piece o' cake. Scrambled eggs and pork sausage...literally no carbs. Then Gordon decided he wanted peanut butter toast and milk. DAMN!

The Dexcom app is so cool. As you can see in the pic, Gordon's glucose numbers are trending up. If there were two arrows up, it would mean he's increasing quickly. This goes all the way from up, to level to double arrows down.

Hard to imagine what a diabetic's life was like before this technology. These are the advances that have been possible with the money donated to JDRF!

IMG_1187 (resized).jpgIMG_1187 (resized).jpg
    #103 5 years ago

I like this. Looks like the insulin I bolused him with breakfast is kicking in. I'm hoping he levels off, drops to a decent number then levels off there.

Time will tell.

IMG_1188 (resized).jpgIMG_1188 (resized).jpg
    #104 5 years ago

Great technology for this! You are a good granddad.

#105 5 years ago
    Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Great technology for this! You are a good granddad.

Thanks. What's also great about the Dexcom is, you are allowed 5 phones with the app, so my wife, who happens to be in New York at the moment, can also see what Gordon's numbers are doing. My son, Justin, was at a wedding reception last night, and trust me, he was checking his phone all night making sure things were going well.

#106 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Hard to imagine what a diabetic's life was like before this technology. These are the advances that have been possible with the money donated to JDRF!
    [quoted image]

It was horrendous! Technology is a wonderful thing in this circumstance.
    You are doing a really good job.
    I take my hat off to you and your family. I don’t think people realise it’s really hard on the family of child with diabetes just as much, if not more than actually having it.

#107 5 years ago

$1,300 - You had me at Alice in Wonderland! Bump for a great cause.

#108 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I take my hat off to you and your family. I don’t think people realise it’s really hard on the family of child with diabetes just as much if not more than actually having it.

I feel for you. Gordon was diagnosed when he was 15 months old. Depending on what his numbers were when he went to bed at night, my son would set his alarm for every couple of hours so Gordon could be tested. You had no idea where his glucose level was unless you tested him. Now, The Dexcom tells you, although it's not always the most accurate. Alarms can also be set on phones, so it will wake you if numbers reach a preset high or low.

And the pump is the slickest thing since sliced bread!!

Even with all of this, Gordon has spent quite a bit of time in the school nurses office in only his first two weeks of school. A new nurse, unaware of how to deal with diabetes, doesn't help matters, but she's a quick learner.

IMG_1189 (resized).jpgIMG_1189 (resized).jpg
    #109 5 years ago

I will donate 100.00 dollars if you burn those footies. Pic required.

#110 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRUMPY:

I will donate 100.00 dollars if you burn those footies. Pic required.

LOL Sorry, but they no longer belong to me.

#111 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boof-Ed:

I take my hat off to you and your family. I don’t think people realise it’s really hard on the family of child with diabetes just as much, if not more than actually having it.

And the continued evolution since 2012 has been exceptionally substantial.

Brad

evolution.jpgevolution.jpg
    #112 5 years ago
    Quoted from jellikit:

And the continued evolution since 2012 has been exceptionally substantial.
    Brad
    [quoted image]

And if I'm not mistaken, Brad, they actually have an artificial pancreas in use now? While Gordon is too young for that now, maybe for him someday!

#113 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

And if I'm not mistaken, Brad, they actually have an artificial pancreas in use now? While Gordon is too young for that now, maybe for him someday!

Yes, there have been a number of trials and the Medtronic 670G is what I have seen the most about. It is a closed-loop pump system with a CGM that manages blood-sugar by releasing/holding insulin as necessary. There are others applying that same technology, many working in partnership like Tandem with Dexcom where relayed information about blood-sugar levels dropping will allow the pump to suspend insulin until after levels are 'good' for it to release that which has been 'held.' I imagine it isn't far off that Gordon will have the chance to use an artificial pancreas.

Brad

#115 5 years ago

Nice job Ice!

Hats off to all of you guys that bid. This is the reason I love Pinside...assholes, I mean good peoples, like you all.
    Seriously, you guys are awesome.

#116 5 years ago

And here are some ADA numbers that are a bit dated (2015) to provide some perspective for those that aren't familiar.

Prevalence: In 2015, 30.3 million Americans, or 9.4% of the population, had diabetes.
    Approximately 1.25 million American children and adults or approximately .04% have type 1 diabetes. <- this is what Gordon has.

Diabetes in youth:
    About 193,000 Americans under age 20 are estimated to have diagnosed diabetes, approximately 0.24% of that population.
    In 2011—2012, the annual incidence of diagnosed diabetes in youth was estimated at 17,900 with type 1 diabetes, 5,300 with type 2 diabetes.

This thread is about a charity auction for JDRF, which is dear to my heart. I would normally see this as derailing or misdirecting a thread, but in this case I think it is quite relevant. I want to see Gordon and all diabetics have the means to manage their diabetes as effectively as possible.

Brad

#117 5 years ago

Donated, great cause!!

http://www2.jdrf.org/goto/TeamG

#119 5 years ago

Ok let’s take it to $2k

And if I win give another bidder the BM66 topper since I have one already

Either way great cause

#120 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Ok let’s take it to $2k
    Either way great cause

You're the man Ice!

#121 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Ok let’s take it to $2k
    Either way great cause

I think I'll just let this pan out for now. If Iceman happens to win, maybe I'll continue this thread for just the Batman topper.

THANK YOU, Iceman!

#122 5 years ago

Geez, didn't realize all the stuff being thrown in here. Since the idea is to raise as much $$$ as possible I'll contribute the $2k for the Spooky Alice Cooper signed translite since i have that game coming and let the rest of the cool items go to other bidders to raise as much $$$ as possible!

#123 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Geez, didn't realize all the stuff being thrown in here. Since the idea is to raise as much $$$ as possible I'll contribute the $2k for the Spooky Alice Cooper signed translite since i have that game coming and let the rest of the cool items go to other bidders to raise as much $$$ as possible!

While I'd like to be able to do that, I can't. The auction runs until 9:00 PM central time and I have no idea who may be bidding on the entire package. Someone may be willing to spend more for all of it.

What I will do....if whoever wins this decides they only want certain items, I'd be more than happy to run the auction for another day for the unwanted items. I don't see how anyone would complain with that.

#124 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

While I'd like to be able to do that, I can't. The auction runs until 9:00 PM central time and I have no idea who may be bidding on the entire package. Someone may be willing to spend more for all of it.
    What I will do....if whoever wins this decides they only want certain items, I'd be more than happy to run the auction for another day for the unwanted items. I don't see how anyone would complain with that.

Got it. Sounds good!

#125 5 years ago

$2100 bid

#126 5 years ago

#127 5 years ago

Just a reminder to everyone. Auction ends tonight at 9:00 central time. Highest bid posted here on or before 9 wins!

#128 5 years ago

Wow! Such a good thread/cause. 5 minutes!

#129 5 years ago

$2250.00

#130 5 years ago

Sniper!

#131 5 years ago

Total eBay move!

#132 5 years ago

sorry. as a diabetic dad myself, with two sons that are diabetics... I was simply waiting in the shadows!!!

great cause and HUGE supporter of JDRF myself... was diagnosed back in 1988... boy how far we have come!!

#133 5 years ago

and we all three have Medtronic pumps as well!! Looking at the dexcom sensors for my youngest son now...

#134 5 years ago

Nicely done, sir!!

PM is on its way.

#135 5 years ago

awesome stuff!

#136 5 years ago

Congrats and thank you !

#137 5 years ago

Glad I could play a small part. Great cause.

#138 5 years ago

I'll donate the $2k regardless. Def a great cause! Lmk how to fund it.

#139 5 years ago

Congrats, I've won a few ebay items that way myself.

Quoted from iceman44:

WOW what a gesture.

#140 5 years ago

Well, I'd say that went well for everyone involved!! Thank you to everyone that donated prizes and a huge congratulations to the winner, Troy. There's some seriously cool shit coming your way.

I've also added the money Paypalled by a handful of Pinsiders.

You can go to the following link and check out Team G's progress. We are currently in the lead! KICK ASS!!!!!

https://www2.jdrf.org/site/TR/Walk/MinnesotaChapter4316?fr_id=7536&pg=entry

#141 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

And now you made my wife cry. She's a bit of a softy though.

I can't thank you enough, Iceman!

#142 5 years ago

I also just received $1000 from another Pinsider that was bidding.

That's a current total of $3490 donated by fellow Pinsiders.

THANK YOU!

#143 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

iceman, you rock!!!!

#144 5 years ago

Mad respect for everyone donating.

#145 5 years ago

I've sent Troy's shipping info to all those who have donated non-custom prizes.

For those who offered up custom or choices, Troy will be contacted you himself.

#146 5 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Mad respect for everyone donating.

Quoted from fxdwg:

as a diabetic dad myself, with two sons that are diabetics... I was simply waiting in the shadows!!!

You guys made Kayte cry this morning... what a great group of people.

HUGE THANKS to everyone that helped do this. No words... just, wow. Just a whole lot of good people out there.

#147 5 years ago
    Quoted from SpookyCharlie:

Just a whole lot of good people out there.

You'd be one of them too, Chuck. And you wonder why I make you custom PinFoots?

#148 5 years ago
    Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

And now you made my wife cry. She's a bit of a softy though.
    I can't thank you enough, Iceman!

Hey Bryan there is no need to thank me. And I'm glad your wife is happy especially! Your grandchild looks like a great kid and trooper

My brother had a heart attack last year and found out he had diabetes, so did my father at 79. For us older stiffs its not good but you plow through it, for the kids, it really does break your heart to see any child suffer.

Anything we can do for our children and grandchildren who are suffering from whatever issues they might be experiencing we should do it if we are blessed to be able to, in whatever form.

So congrats to you guys and carry on the fantastic effort!

#149 5 years ago

@bryan_kelly

In my day job I get to interact with many leading diabetes researchers (or their minions) across the globe. There is tons going on to cure, prevent, and treat (or manage) diabetes and it is a very rewarding field to work in.

Specific to managing diabetes... The Dexcom you're grandson is using is a wonderful and amazing thing... If I may be so bold I'd suggest Gordon's parents follow the bi-hormonal artificial pancreas pump development. It's not approved for use but I expect it will be within a few years. These pumps have me excited and I believe they will leapfrog the Dexcom he's using today... the key reason is that they have the ability to infuse both insulin (to lower glucose) and glucagon (to prevent hypoglycemia). As such, the control algorithm can be significantly more aggressive at maintaining the glucose levels on the lower side of the desired healthy zone (which is better) b/c they don't have to "worry" about pushing them too low into hypoglycemia. This is viable since they can counter hypoglycemia directly versus having to rely on the human body or external management. Turning that into a real-world example... when Gordon's sleeping you should have fewer alarms and be able to sleep through the night more confidently that hypoglycemia won't occur! Longer term... by managing glucose levels more aggressively it should also slow down development of side-effects and ultimately extend life expectancy!!!

One example of this technology can be found at https://www.betabionics.org/videos-and-podcasts (I'm sure there are others but I've seen data and presentations on this and it's stuck with me...)

There's tons more going on... but what I discussed above is real today and should be available in the near future (I hope).

#150 5 years ago

since I didn't end up winning anything, I donated $250 this morning. I figured it's for a great cause

I think that @ the pinball explosion party, we should see if we can get bryan to drink a [real] beer and have people donate for that

There are 164 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 4.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fa-ugliest-set-of-pinfoots-ever-made/page/3?hl=jenniebear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.