(Topic ID: 114421)

F2K coils work in test, not in game play

By bobnatlanta

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

This is giving me fits. Fuses are good, and I've checked continuity on the power side from coil to coil, and it's good.

If I start a game, a ball is served, but only the drain kicker and flippers work. None of the other coils will fire. What am I missing?

Thanks!!
Bob

#2 9 years ago
Quoted from bobnatlanta:

This is giving me fits. Fuses are good, and I've checked continuity on the power side from coil to coil, and it's good.
If I start a game, a ball is served, but only the drain kicker and flippers work. None of the other coils will fire. What am I missing?
Thanks!!
Bob

Ball count issue im guessing. make sure all the lock switches and trough switches work properly.

#3 9 years ago

The trough switches register in test, but none of the switches that control solenoids - other than the trough switch - register. Sounds like switch matrix...?

#4 9 years ago

Bump - any thoughts on this? I'm at a loss...

#5 9 years ago

Check your connectors, test continuity from switch to connector going to MPU.

#6 9 years ago

So - the problem coils speak to the MPU via J2, pins 8-15. I found no problems with continuity between the switches and the female pins, though I did learn that the wire colors in the game do not match those in the manual. I then tested the switch matrix using the method described in Clay's guide, jumpering J2 1 and 2 to J2 8-15 and J3 9-16 with the game in switch test. This lead me to the critical error, which was indeed a continuity problem. The wire for MPU J2, pin 2 was among many that had been chewed by mice. I'd spliced them together using crimp connectors, and this one was not done properly, with the crimp connecting with insulation instead of bare wire. I corrected the crimp, and the game came to life. I've still got some minor issues, but I'll probably be playing the game tonight.

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. Pinside rocks!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Crown Point, IN
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 125.00
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Melbourne Beach, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
arcade-cabinets.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f2k-coils-work-in-test-not-in-game-play and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.