DSCN6179_(resized).JPG
helmet.jpg
DSCN5573.jpg
DSCN5570.jpg
Hal_Jordan_Orange_Lantern_001.jpg
bfg0021.jpg
giphy.gif
DSCN5156 (Large).JPG
There are 456 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.
#201 9 years ago

l13.jpgl13.jpg

The underside of the playfield is complete Just the ball eject to sort out once I've got time to sort it into place along with the autolaunch and the manual plunger.

Loaded the playfield back into the cabinet.

l12.jpgl12.jpg

Now it's time to tidy up the bomb site that our main table has been for the last week or two.

#202 9 years ago

Wow Mark, this is great progress! Congrats on getting it all back together. I'm really excited to see it lit up! So where'd you send your wife while you had all that on on the dining room table. Some place warm, I hope

Dan

#203 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

We have a dozen guests on Christmas Day that need to sit around it.....

How good are they with a soldering iron?

1 week later
#204 9 years ago

I finished work for the holidays yesterday, so I'm hoping to get this back up and running over the next few days. Got the ball trough sorted out and the outhole kicker back on, along with the kickback and some of the ball guides. Tomorrow I'm going to do the topside soldering (coils, flashers) while I can still get to them, then hopefully the rest will go back together quite quickly...

t1.jpgt1.jpg

#205 9 years ago

I tried a red spring on my F-14 and any time I plunged the ball I felt like I was going to plunge it through the back of the pin. I ended up putting in a new standard one again.

#206 9 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I ended up putting in a new standard one again.

I might well do the same, I'll see how it feels. I put a red one on because it matches the powdercoat (Actually not true, it was the only one in my box of spares).

#207 9 years ago

Flasher sockets and solenoids all wired up. All the ball guides and rails are also back on now, and I've been testing the GI with an external power supply just to check the wiring. With a bit of luck the playfield might be all done tomorrow.....

t2.jpgt2.jpg

#208 9 years ago

Didn't do anything with the playfield topside today, but I have reconnected the playfield wiring and worked through the backbox wiring. I've removed the wiring for the alphanumeric displays and the sound, that decluttered things a bit - the looms were separate so no cutting involved and I can always put them back one day if need be. Still need to tidy up the wiring a little, but it's up and running.

So with the boards installed, crossed fingers and power on. GI lit up as expected, no bangs or flashes or blown fuses.

t4.jpgt4.jpg

Inside the backbox, only one original board On the left is the P-ROC, next to which is the Sys11 / P-ROC driver board. Top right is a Rottendog power supply (the original was toasty). Bottom right is one of Inkochnito's (Peter Koch) bridge boards. In my F-14 the bridge rectifiers and huge smoothing capacitor for the controlled lamps were the original 1987 vintage ones, and I'd never installed the extra 2 fuses that Williams forgot. Peters board takes care of replacing the rectifiers, capacitor and putting the 2 fuses in. So the only original board is the flipper power supply! I also fitted a new fuse block to replace the somewhat corroded ones that were in there.

t3.jpgt3.jpg

More details on the bridge board are here if you missed Peter's original thread..

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bridge-board-available-for-williams-games

#209 9 years ago

Cut the 12v red LED strip to some suitable lengths, soldered wires to them and put some heat shrink on to insulate them. These will be used in "stealth mode" or something similar - the GI will switch off and some or all of these strips will be lit instead. It should be a bit like the "Condition Green" effect on Space Station.

t5.jpgt5.jpg

#210 9 years ago

This thread rocks! I love the radar effect and that beautiful playfield.

#211 9 years ago

Installed all the LED strips and connected them up for a test. The effect isn't as red as this photo makes out, and once the plastics are all fitted it should be a little more subtle. That said when this happens in the game I'll probably switch the radar "ring" to red and all the RGBs too....

t7.jpgt7.jpg

I also found a little time to start putting some more back on the playfield. We have a slingshot! The plastics are a new set that I bought from CPR some long time back and was keeping for a day like today! I'll hang on to the old ones as spares as they're in pretty good condition.

t6.jpgt6.jpg

Anyone know how to get the riveted parts out of the plastics and refitted to the new ones without breaking anything? Hmmm......

#212 9 years ago

I am so excited for you and this thread. You seem so unexcited in your posts. I'm starting to wonder if I'm more excited for you to finish this project that you are. Stealth mode is fantastic and is really going to add a great touch to your SS machine.

#213 9 years ago

I am excited, but I'm English, so I'm supposed to be a little more "reserved", right?

I guess it's just been a long multi-month slog to get this far which is enough to sap the energy a little. I've had enough of screws, wires, drilling, more wires, skinned knuckles, more wires etc This is only my second playfield swap (I did a Funhouse before) and this was *way* harder especially with all the drilling. I also keep losing stuff - I bought a ton of parts over the last couple of years and put them "somewhere safe" where I will easily find them later. We all know how that works, right? Took me an hour to find those new plastics, and I gave up trying to find the new blue star posts and bought some more. Of course I then found the others in the box with my gas soldering iron. How on earth did they end up in there?

I just want it to be back together now and running, so I can play the original game via pinmame and get moving forward with the new Second Sortie code. I've got a bunch of ideas to try out in the code, but don't want to try it out in the virtual machine any more, I want the real one!!

So no worries, I'm really looking forward to getting this working and can't wait to post the first videos of the current SS software running on this beauty!!!!!! Not long now

#214 9 years ago

Such a fascinating project, I check in each day to see if there's a new update! Looking forward to seeing how the new code shapes up.

#215 9 years ago

Now you can see why I left the trough eject and the shooter lane switch until last. F-14 has auto-launch!!

It's kinda cosy getting it all into place, and I had to reverse the little bracket that the shooter lane switch is on, but it's all looking good. I might need to remove a few windings from the coil if it's not strong enough (or connect it to the flipper power instead of regular solenoid voltage) as the ball has to be plunged a long way, but we'll see how that works once the game is up and running. I'm sure this and a few other things will need some fine-tuning.

So that's all the mechanicals done!! Now back to the playfield topside....

t10.jpgt10.jpg
t11.jpgt11.jpg
t12.jpgt12.jpg

#216 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Now you can see why I left the trough eject and the shooter lane switch until last. F-14 has auto-launch!!

Steve Richie would be proud. I heard his one regret in life is omitting an auto-launch from F-14. Finally after all these years it becomes reality.

In all seriousness, very VERY cool addition Mark. F-14 practically begs for an auto-launch. Why was one not implemented back in the day? Were auto-launches not invented in the late 80's?

#217 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

It's kinda cosy getting it all into place, and I had to reverse the little bracket that the shooter lane switch is on, but it's all looking good. I might need to remove a few windings from the coil if it's not strong enough (or connect it to the flipper power instead of regular solenoid voltage) as the ball has to be plunged a long way, but we'll see how that works once the game is up and running. I'm sure this and a few other things will need some fine-tuning.
So that's all the mechanicals done!! Now back to the playfield topside....

Look forward to seeing how the coil and plunger mech works, as it's the same addition i added to my whirlwind rewrite. I have noticed though that its not as powerful as i thought it would be, so am interested to see how it works in other games. The fitting is close isn't it

IMG_2727.jpgIMG_2727.jpg

#218 9 years ago

Great work Mark!

Because all 3 of use are using autolaunchers in our System 11 projects, here is a picture of my Earthshaker Aftershock autolauncher! Yes, I know it is not hooked up in the pictures.

20131226_164923.jpg20131226_164923.jpg

20131226_164933.jpg20131226_164933.jpg

#219 9 years ago

If I add MB to Bad Cats, it'll be four games with autolaunch though mine will use a release into the playfield so I won't quite be needing to tackle the issue you are with tight spaces.

#220 9 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Were auto-launches not invented in the late 80's?

I'm not sure which machine had the first autolaunch, I guess sometime late 1980s. I'm really looking forward to using mine - ball save is one obvious item, and then being able to start a multiball at any time will be the real kicker (so to speak).

I have mine connected to the one spare driver on the F-14. The P-ROC interface board has another 8 drivers of which I'll use some for the LED strips, leaving a few others in case I think of something..

This is likely my last update for the year, got prep for Christmas Day to get done tomorrow, then on Saturday we're off to Germany to visit the in-laws until the New Year. Not much left to do though, at least from the machine point of view. Here's a cracker of a photo, those new plastics look really cool.... (and yes, I know the playfield needs a wipe below the flippers!)

t14.jpgt14.jpg

#221 9 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

I have noticed though that its not as powerful as i thought it would be, so am interested to see how it works in other games.

Yeah. On the F-14 I've got to get the ball launched up the wireform and all the way to the top left of the playfield, so it's going to need a good kick. Chances are I'll end up removing a few turns on the coil, or connecting it to the 50v flipper power (or both). We'll soon see (and thanks to Jim and Scott for the inspiration to fit the autolauncher to mine).

Happy Holidays all

#222 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Anyone know how to get the riveted parts out of the plastics and refitted to the new ones without breaking anything? Hmmm......

Those pieces are actually crimped into the original plastic which is hard to duplicate. To remove them from the old plastic, I insert a soldering iron into the metal piece and warm it until it can rotate. This in turn heats the surrounding plastic. Once that plastic is warm enough the piece can be pulled out. I think some reverse the process to insert into the new plastic, but I grind the edges of the crimp back a little so that they can simply be inserted into the new plastic. Since most if not all are held in place with hardware they won't come loose.

#223 9 years ago

Wow, this is quite the amazing project!

#224 9 years ago

Damn... Those white stand-up targets are so.... white. You are really inspiring me to swap mine out. Merry Christmas Mark! Safe travels.

#225 9 years ago

Centaur probably had the first autolaunch, and a cool one at that. Diner used the same sort of mech.

#226 9 years ago

Hey Snux,

You must seriously consider adding this to the soundtrack. It would fit perfectly before the start of multiball

1 week later
#227 9 years ago
Quoted from JoelOmatik:

You must seriously consider adding this to the soundtrack.

Hmm. I'd need to add a "family" setting, not sure how appropriate that is for my 11 and 13 year old sons. At least at home; I'm sure they here worse at school from time to time

#228 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Hmm. I'd need to add a "family" setting, not sure how appropriate that is for my 11 and 13 year old sons. At least at home; I'm sure they here worse at school from time to time

I'm sure they would love it. Not sure if they wouldn't parrot it back at a bad time though.

#229 9 years ago

So, while I was away for New Year, I remembered that I'd bought a set of plastic protectors for my F14. Spent around an hour looking for them just now. Found them in the CPR bag containing the other plastics. See - I can put things in a sensible place sometimes. I might not always look in the right place, but at least I'd thought about it originally

So, plan for tomorrow is to finish populating the playfield and see if we can get some flipping going on. Watch this space

#230 9 years ago
Quoted from Cheddar:

Not sure if they wouldn't parrot it back at a bad time though.

Yeah, like next time my parents are here for dinner

#231 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Yeah. On the F-14 I've got to get the ball launched up the wireform and all the way to the top left of the playfield, so it's going to need a good kick. Chances are I'll end up removing a few turns on the coil, or connecting it to the 50v flipper power (or both). We'll soon see (and thanks to Jim and Scott for the inspiration to fit the autolauncher to mine).
Happy Holidays all

I altered my setup to use a 50v coil feed and it's much, much better. I had forgotten whirlwind uses 25v for some general coils feeds aswell as flashers. Originally, I had connected up to the nearest coil which was the ball eject. Handily the slingshots are 50v fed so it was an easy change.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#232 9 years ago

Connected up some more of the playfield to check the wiring before I continue. Got me some things to sort out

No matrix switches at all are registering with the P-ROC. I suspect that's wiring related somewhere, will need to check the continuity. Direct switches from the coin door are fine.

Some lamps are coming on together. That'll be due to a missed or reversed diode somewhere I suspect, maybe not too surprising given that all the sockets and diodes are new. I need to fix the switch matrix first though, since at the moment I can't step through the single lamp test to work out what's going on!

Time for a coffee and the break out the meter.....

#233 9 years ago
Quoted from applejuice:

Handily the slingshots are 50v fed so it was an easy change.

Most of the F14 coils are 34v, but some also run 50v. My nearest take-off for 50v will be the right flipper.

#234 9 years ago

Ha!

The switch matrix works much better if you don't swap the row and column connectors by mistake

Got a few switches out, that might be because I don't have the ramps and wireforms yet, so some of the switches are not in the matrix yet, so there could be a break that way. More coffee.....

#235 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

The switch matrix works much better if you don't swap the row and column connectors by mistake

Can't say that I have never made silly mistakes like that (well... actually more than once, though I tend to forget them... or at least I try to ). Good to see that problem is solved

#236 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Most of the F14 coils are 34v, but some also run 50v. My nearest take-off for 50v will be the right flipper.

Save yourself the time and hassle and just go straight to the 50v feed for it...

#237 9 years ago

So, we have lamps and switches working.

Found an unattached wire in one of the switch columns, that got them all working. Couple of the rollover switches needed a little adjustment, now working fine.

Lamps - found 3 next to each other where I'd soldered the wires to the wrong end of the diode. Fixed that and that stopped the "double blink" issue. Found 3 lamps that weren't working didn't have a bulb in (Doh). Found 2 others where a wire had come adrift. So they're all working fine now.

Ran through a coil/flasher test and they all seem good, the autolaunch is even kicking on the "unused" driver which is good too.

GI wouldn't switch off in test, found that I had a connector trapped underneath the driver board, so freed that up and connected it, all good.

On the subject of GI, can someone tell me why I forgot to install the pop bumper lamp socket? I've got back ache from leaning in at some stupid angle trying to fish those through and get them soldered up. Done now though.

Something I'm going to need to work on is making some changes to pinmame to drive those RGB lamps via the Arduino. The Arduino code I already wrote should do the job just fine, I just need to persuade pinmame to talk to it and drive the lamps white when needed. But that's software, for later.

Now I'm going to start fitting the rest of the playfield back on.... getting close !!!!

#238 9 years ago

Done for today. Didn't get it finished as sorting out the lamps and switches took longer than I expected, but made good progress. Got some more plastics fitted and the first 2 powdercoated habitrails. One took some persuasion as the holes I drilled seem to be a couple of mm off, but sorted it out in the end.

Picture so far.... I have one of the LED bumper rings from Comet Pinball in the bumper, I think it looks good. I also have one of the foil bumper decals for F14 but haven't decided if I want to fit it yet.

tp3.jpgtp3.jpg

Will have to wait and see if I get time tomorrow to do some more. Son has a football (soccer) match in the morning, then my wife has a list of "things to attend to"

Moving on

#239 9 years ago

Son's match was postponed, got my "things" attended to so had some more time. The playfield hardware is finished

I still need to do some tweaking here and there.... the upper divertor is binding sometimes and a number of switches need a little adjustment. I've also misplaced the wire gate from the ball trough so need to make a new one, at the moment the ball bounces back into the outhole all the time. The clear plastics on the right I didn't mount yet either.

I've got two of the F14 plastic ramps. One is in reasonable condition but is a bit warped. The other isn't warped but the lamp sockets are corroded and unfortunately they're riveted in. Hopefully someone might make new ramps someday (looking at you Mr Freeplay!).

Next steps (apart from sorting out the divertor and switches) is to mount the Arduino under the apron and connect it to the RGB lamps so we can get those up and running. I'm really looking forward to when this gets to the point that it's 100% software and doesn't involve a pile of tools and parts and screws etc.

Here's a photo of the playfield finished up as it looks at the moment - I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel now - yayyyyy

tp4.jpgtp4.jpg

#240 9 years ago

Beautiful! Love the work you've done. Something to keep in the back of your mind if you are interested. I have F-14 on my short list for new ramps. Ramps will be either transparent blue or transparent red. I envision a lighting mod for mine that mimics running landing lights for the multi-ball locks.

#241 9 years ago

The one thing, and I'm really nitpiking here, that I dislike about F-14 is the Yagov sticker. To me it just always looks crooked. I know it is because the divertor ramp is slanted, but it just bothers me to no end.

This is on all F-14's, not just Snux's.

Post edited by FiftyQuid

#242 9 years ago

Are you going to add the sticker mods? They're really nice looking, I'm about to order the RH set for mine!

#243 9 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I know it is because the divertor ramp is slanted

Actually, the other ramp I have isn't slanted at the end, so I assumed that the one I've fitted is a little warped. But the other ramp has cruddy lamp sockets so I decided to live with the slant for now rather than lamps that will come and go. Might change my mind later though, we'll see.

Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Are you going to add the sticker mods?

Maybe. On the ramp I quite like being able to see the ball, and on the right side now I've got those nice red rails it would be a shame to cover them up.

Quoted from Freeplay40:

I have F-14 on my short list for new ramps

Thought I'd read that somewhere. I know early days, but are you thinking of selling it with all that hardware on, or letting folks transfer it over? The 6 lamps are riveted on, as are the 3 metal pieces that the wireforms screw on to, plus all the wiring for the lamps and switches.

Why thank you !

#244 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Thought I'd read that somewhere. I know early days, but are you thinking of selling it with all that hardware on, or letting folks transfer it over? The 6 lamps are riveted on, as are the 3 metal pieces that the wireforms screw on to, plus all the wiring for the lamps and switches.

A lot to figure out. I did sell the Space Station ramp in a plug and play version, but the F-14 ramp is, as you pointed out, a bit complex. What I did with the High Speed ramp was to offer assembly service where purchasers would send me the parts and I would attach them. I may do that here as well. Not a huge deal for domestic purchasers, but may be a hassle for international shipping.

#245 9 years ago

Your game is coming along nicely, I can't wait to see it flipping. Great Job!

#246 9 years ago

Going to try and get the Arduino and those LED segment displays mounted under the apron today. Whilst working getting the playfield mechanics adjusted I blew a couple of fuses and found that I don't have any spare, so I can play with the "pretty" stuff while waiting for some more to come in the post.

Ah, the RGB colour model

Been chewing on some simplification to the hook between the game code and the controlled RGB lamps via the Arduino. While I was in there, I added the missing "simple" colours which come from the simple colour mixing.

May I present to you - Red, Green, Blue, White, Yellow, Cyan and Magenta.

rgb.jpgrgb.jpg

In this picture the yellow looks a little orange and the white a touch pink, but in person they're correct

#247 9 years ago

You're going to have the first WOZ version of F-14 in the world Snux! Somewhere over the rainbow!

#248 9 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Somewhere over the rainbow!

Could be Actually, I'm not sure if I'll use all those colours except maybe in attract mode, but they're available if I want to use them.

I also just wired up my first test of everything connected to the Arduino and doing stuff at the same time. That's 16 RGB playfield inserts, one 16 RGB ring running the "radar sweep" effect, plus a couple of the segmented LED displays running counters at different speeds. It's all running just fine, so the single Arduino mounted under the apron will do the trick. Yay

#249 9 years ago

Wow, this is very cool. I could see this being handy for having layers of modes and indicating which layer the player has completed -- similar to how the new Stern Star Trek does with that pyramid. Not sure about the whole Rainbow... Maybe you could have a mode where you shoot Willy Wonka and his glass elevator out of the sky!

Dan

#250 9 years ago

Looking real nice!!!!!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 456 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-second-sortie-information-and-on-going-development/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.