(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,758 posts
  • 378 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by rx2006je
  • Topic is favorited by 154 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,508 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpg
20210110_195245 (resized).jpg
20210110_195353 (resized).jpg
20210110_195307 (resized).jpg
480A3330-007E-4E10-BFA3-4094DF1F0E1B (resized).jpeg
E54AD256-B689-4E51-843D-D9F19DA10C59 (resized).jpeg
20210108_075016 (resized).jpg
2f1d972a9176ffd72b27f72afa8767d3f1d6ff09.png (resized).png
20210102_121137 (Medium) (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
A35F95A4-2810-41AA-9C30-BA3EADC91A82 (resized).jpeg
79174736-1506-49BB-AD2E-107540AB897C (resized).jpeg
B77116F5-7EA6-4EAA-81B4-7CA79C7749C9 (resized).jpeg
3E2F27C7-1F03-41EF-8DA6-09D9BCC5A9E5 (resized).jpeg
4290FB39-834B-487F-9CE1-BE841C574C08 (resized).jpeg
8928F5DB-F206-445F-8B24-C7271C3F18A9 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 4758 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 96.
#4651 63 days ago
Quoted from bowtech:

I know she's just a player's condition game but those lock bar holes bug the shit out if me. What do you guys used to cover them?
[quoted image]

Find a wood dowel that fits in the holes and glue it in there. A little epoxy wood filler can fill in the gaps. You’ll need to sand it and try to match the red as close as you can and just mask and paint all the red on the front.

#4652 61 days ago

Help!
Most of the time a ball ejected from the right eject hits the rubber and does NOT go through the orbit, this is getting very frustrating... has anyone seen this or know how to adjust the eject properly? Left side works perfect every time, only an issue on the right.
Thanks in advance

Did you ever figure out this eject problem you were having five years ago? I have the exact same problem. I could not see where anybody ever answered your post.

#4653 61 days ago

Are you writhing about the center kickers?
If so, I would check the kicker fulcrums, the angle of the kicker head against the ball...

#4654 61 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Are you writhing about the center kickers?
If so, I would check the kicker fulcrums, the angle of the kicker head against the ball...

Yes the upper right center ejector shoots the ball into the flyby orbit post half the time. It needs to be adjusted to shoot the ball slightly more to the right. Is there a way to adjust the kicker fulcrum? I have an mp4 video of what it's doing. I just could not figure out how to attach it here.

#4655 61 days ago
Quoted from T2F14:

Is there a way to adjust the kicker fulcrum?

If it's similar to a kicker arm you bend it or twist the head to adjust the trajectory. It might also be very worn (slop in the side to side motion) so adjustment might not work.

Alternately, is the rubber on the post its hitting too fat?

They might be ball guides that will help guide it out as well - I haven't been under the center section of my F-14 PF in a long time so don't know for sure. I do know it sucks when the ball doesn't do what you expect....

#4656 61 days ago

Mine did that as well. It was a bent kicker arm in my case
Even after I replaced it did take some experimenting to get it consistent
Good luck

#4657 60 days ago

Thanks all. Spent the afternoon playing with bending the arm. It is now working most of the time. There is a ton of play in the spacer in the kicker arm. So my next Quest is going to be looking for that kicker arm.

#4658 60 days ago

Finally got around to cleaning up this junk.

IMG_20201115_115412664 (resized).jpgIMG_20201115_155245836 (resized).jpg

This resistor board is under the flashers on the right mid playfield. Is it the one for them? Tested everything and the machine looks to be working fine. All three flashers are going off although the blue one less often than the others.

#4659 60 days ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

[quoted image][quoted image]
This resistor board is under the flashers on the right mid playfield. Is it the one for them? Tested everything and the machine looks to be working fine. All three flashers are going off although the blue one less often than the others.

Note: Mount resistor board with mini post rubber bumper...
------ it acts like a shock absorber and helps keep the resistors from breaking.

#4660 59 days ago

Thanks for the tip. Had not thought of that

#4661 58 days ago

I’m shopping out an F14 for a buddy and I noticed the left inlane guide on his game is very different from the photos for this game that I found on Pinside.

The photos below are of his game with the inlane guide circled in red. It only has one screw holding it in place and it just does not look correct when compared to the other photo.

Is this a hack? Maybe a sample game? I don’t know much about the game, just shopping it out for a friend.

Thanks!

CA27D0DE-CEF3-4A75-9ECC-5A1451E8D9FD (resized).jpegFDD37705-9D93-461E-A4D5-9343D68829A9 (resized).png
#4662 58 days ago

Can someone post a picture of a close-up of the lower right flipper assembly with the coil and all the connections? I’ve been having an issue where my lower right flipper is horribly weak and can’t seem to figure out what’s going on. I thought it was may be a diode issue but I have since proven that wrong. However I have now found a loose wire I’m not sure where it connects. Thanks

#4663 58 days ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

How do you know which block resistors to put in? I have one board that is missing one of the shorter block resistors and I am assuming it’s the same rating as one of the other shorter ones but I’m not 100% sure

#4664 58 days ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

I have one board that is missing one of the shorter block resistors

330 ohm, 7 watt.

#4665 58 days ago

Does anyone have a wire form shooter ramp they are interested in selling? I am talking about number 26, part 12-6710 in the attached screenshot from the manual.

My F-14 pinball shooter ramp that has a broken weld and is missing half of a semicircle that holds it together at the point of ball entry. Photos attached. Also it is missing one of the bolts that holds it on to the playfield.

At this point I'm trying to figure out if it's better to find someone to fabricate, weld and re chrome my wire ramp or just buy one from someone who is parting out a machine.

Screenshot_20201117-090035_Drive (resized).jpg20201118_085215_001 (resized).jpg20201118_084214 (resized).jpg
#4666 58 days ago
Quoted from Peruman:

I’m shopping out an F14 for a buddy and I noticed the left inlane guide on his game is very different from the photos for this game that I found on Pinside.
The photos below are of his game with the inlane guide circled in red. It only has one screw holding it in place and it just does not look correct when compared to the other photo.
Is this a hack? Maybe a sample game? I don’t know much about the game, just shopping it out for a friend.
Thanks!

I think just one screw on that lane guide is the correct / main production version and I believe they are the same as HS uses: http://www.passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames/AndyHS2.jpg These replacements from Cliffy are awesome BTW.

#4667 58 days ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Here's mine. I don't know the scale, but it's about 4".

Hi guys, just bought a F-14 which is a little bit beaten. Where can I download the plastic templates and stickers so I can print it locally?

#4668 58 days ago
Quoted from Peruman:

Is this a hack? Maybe a sample game?

Quoted from Peruman:

Thanks!

Do you have pictures of the rest of the game? Take pictures of the top area and center kickout.

#4669 58 days ago
Quoted from Mazzucatto:

Hi guys, just bought a F-14 which is a little bit beaten. Where can I download the plastic templates and stickers so I can print it locally?

Which ones do you need? I made some files for insert decals. please PM me if you would like to have those.

#4670 58 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

Do you have pictures of the rest of the game? Take pictures of the top area and center kickout.

This is the full playfield of the game I’m shopping out.

30C9CB6A-5C68-4142-A3C4-9C011E826C2D (resized).jpeg
#4671 57 days ago
Quoted from Peruman:

This is the full playfield of the game I’m shopping out.
[quoted image]

Oh Yea! that's a sample game!
It might still have the over the top explosion software that Williams toned back after
many complaints.

#4672 57 days ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Can someone post a picture of a close-up of the lower right flipper assembly with the coil and all the connections? I’ve been having an issue where my lower right flipper is horribly weak and can’t seem to figure out what’s going on. I thought it was may be a diode issue but I have since proven that wrong. However I have now found a loose wire I’m not sure where it connects. Thanks

Bump on this. Could someone please throw up a pic of the flipper assembly of the lower right flipper? Thx

#4674 57 days ago

And if you have not seen this, It is a great thread to follow!! Did both my F-14 and Space Station!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#4675 57 days ago

This might help

IMG_0757 (resized).JPG
#4676 57 days ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Bump on this. Could someone please throw up a pic of the flipper assembly of the lower right flipper? Thx

And this:
pasted_image (resized).png

#4677 56 days ago

Much better than mine!

#4678 56 days ago
Quoted from vec-tor:

And this:
[quoted image]

Thx. Appreciate it. I really need to see how the switches are wired

#4679 53 days ago

So looking for some thoughts from you guys. My lower right flipper is horribly weak. I have tested the diode‘s and don’t believe there is a problem. And today I tried swapping coils with the left and right coil switching places and the lower right flipper is weaker than ever. Anyone have any ideas what could cause this. It seems the hold is fine it’s just the initial engage that has zero power.

#4680 53 days ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

So looking for some thoughts from you guys. My lower right flipper is horribly weak. I have tested the diode‘s and don’t believe there is a problem. And today I tried swapping coils with the left and right coil switching places and the lower right flipper is weaker than ever. Anyone have any ideas what could cause this. It seems the hold is fine it’s just the initial engage that has zero power.

E.O.S. switch.

#4681 48 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I could do this later if you like, would you want to buy a board that has all the parts installed or would you like to wire each separately.

It would be awesome if you could do that

As i am located in europe, buying anything from the states is quite a hassle, and expensive with extra customs fees and so on.

So i was thinking of doing it separately for each. Perhaps using s little bread board or something.

Thanks for all of your help Grumpy! You're a real asset to this hobby and community!!

2 weeks later
#4682 33 days ago

Here is our new member post and introduction i guess. Just bought the family our first ever pinball machine. Looked at several before landing on the F-14 itself. This F-14 or seems to be the best of the 3 f-14's we looked at. Sorry for the bulb glare in the pictures.

The cabinet seems like it is pretty sweet overall.
Boards and components seem good so far.
No corrosion around batteries.
LEDS installed in everything except for the flashers. (future project ---will search previous posts on this forum for knowledge).
Beacons work (small squeak gonna get belts and clean).
Playfield seems pretty decent for wear and such, it has what seems to be typical insert pealing and finish cracking.
back glass is not original it is a piece of glass with a plastic like sheet attached to it. Looks okay.

Here is where I could use some experienced advise, pry a lot more but maybe we can start here.

Flippers are due to get freshened up. My plan is to rebuild all four. new sleeves bushings and everything in the kits. Thoughts on using the external spring rather than the one around the plunger? if so anyone have a part number for that external spring.
As part of the flipper rebuild (which began due to the top left flipper getting hung up once in a while not going back to the home position) my playfield does not have any positioning holes behind the flippers. Seen that before?

Behind the lower flippers is there supposed to be metal guide rails in the two small holes shown in the picture?

On occasion when I shoot a ball into the center targets it takes and jumps off the field and bounces all over. i have ordered a little foam blocks for behind the target along with a set of padded targets. Any other advise on how to correct to keep from damaging the playfield? are they weak targets.?

Opinion -thinking about using black legs with a red pen stripe or do you think chrome would look better?

And yes I have a little experience with electrical, but from what i have read in the previous forum pages i have lots and lots to learn. lol

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Johnnny

located in Nebraska

IMG_1107 (resized).JPGIMG_1108 (resized).JPGIMG_1102 (resized).JPGIMG_1101 (resized).JPGIMG_1099 (resized).JPGIMG_1094 (resized).JPGIMG_1093 (resized).JPGMYUU8924 (resized).JPG
#4683 32 days ago
Quoted from Johnnny:

Here is our new member post and introduction i guess. Just bought the family our first ever pinball machine. Looked at several before landing on the F-14 itself. This F-14 or seems to be the best of the 3 f-14's we looked at. Sorry for the bulb glare in the pictures.
LEDS installed in everything except for the flashers. (future project ---will search previous posts on this forum for knowledge).
Playfield seems pretty decent for wear and such, it has what seems to be typical insert pealing and finish cracking.
back glass is not original it is a piece of glass with a plastic like sheet attached to it. Looks okay.
Here is where I could use some experienced advise, pry a lot more but maybe we can start here.
Flippers are due to get freshened up. My plan is to rebuild all four. new sleeves bushings and everything in the kits. Thoughts on using the external spring rather than the one around the plunger? if so anyone have a part number for that external spring.
As part of the flipper rebuild (which began due to the top left flipper getting hung up once in a while not going back to the home position) my playfield does not have any positioning holes behind the flippers. Seen that before?
Behind the lower flippers is there supposed to be metal guide rails in the two small holes shown in the picture?
On occasion when I shoot a ball into the center targets it takes and jumps off the field and bounces all over. i have ordered a little foam blocks for behind the target along with a set of padded targets. Any other advise on how to correct to keep from damaging the playfield? are they weak targets.?
Opinion -thinking about using black legs with a red pen stripe or do you think chrome would look better?
And yes I have a little experience with electrical, but from what i have read in the previous forum pages i have lots and lots to learn. lol
Johnnny
located in Nebraska[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks Great!

#4684 32 days ago
Quoted from Johnnny:

Johnnny
located in Nebraska[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

For the flipper rebuild parts see Vid's Guide to Upgrading / Rebilding Flippers at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers#post-284651. I used this guide and the rebuild is so much better.

#4685 32 days ago
Quoted from T2F14:

For the flipper rebuild parts see Vid's Guide to Upgrading / Rebilding Flippers at https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers#post-284651. I used this guide and the rebuild is so much better.

I will definitely study that guide. Thank you! any idea where to get the spring? is that just a spring used on a fliptronic?

Johnnny

#4687 32 days ago

Thank you. That what i'll order.

Any opinion on my ball launch question." On occasion when I shoot a ball into the center targets it takes and jumps off the field and bounces all over. i have ordered a little foam blocks for behind the target along with a set of padded targets. Any other advise on how to correct to keep from damaging the playfield? are they weak targets.?"

Thanks again cant wait to start working on my F-14

Johnnny

#4688 32 days ago
Quoted from Johnnny:

Johnnny

Congratulations on your first game and welcome to the forum/club.

Yes, you are missing the "biff bars" that go in those holes. It won't really affect gameplay as they are primarily there to prevent bangbacks which no one should be doing on your game more than once anyway. Can probably find replacments somewhere though I will say I've never looked for them.

I think custom black / red legs or just standard stainless would look great since you have stainless trim and lockbar already. Since yours are already black I say have fun doing the custom look.

F14 came with a translite, not a true backglass so that's factory and okay unless it's badly faded, ripped, etc. in which case it's pretty simple to replace.

When you re-build the flippers just us a straight edge to align them with the ball guide and you'll be in good shape.

Stopping airballs from hard hits to those center targets is tough to do because they are so close to the flippers. Some softer target backing foam may help but since your playfield already has the typical wear in this game I don't think I'd be overly worried about that.

#4689 31 days ago
Quoted from Johnnny:

riding on the coattails of bobukcat's post I decided to try and find them.
I found some similar wire guides on this page from Marco. https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=wire+guide

If nothing is suitable at Marco contact Steve at The Pinball Resource. I'm sure he can help you. http://www.pbresource.com/

I just recently acquired an F-14 myself. It's still apart because I had to take the back box off to get it upstairs. I'm still waiting on some help to get the cabinet upstairs so I decided to put the playfield protector that came with it on. This game is a good memory for me as I used to play it on the weekends at a bar near NAS Miramar back in 88-91 when I was attached to VF-124 Gunfighters.
The game is being turned into a tribute somewhat to my old squadron.
This is my official post entering this thread. I have questions on my game but will save them for another day.
r/
Mike

#4690 31 days ago

Still trying to diagnose what I think is a diode issue. Does anyone have any tips on tracing these. Here's the symptoms:

- Like many others... it randomly kicks a locked ball out giving an unintentional 2 ball multiball.
- I see to get several random kills while the ball is in play, no where near registering a kill.
- I have a set of flashers in the back box that if you tap on the playfield or make any bump or bang on the lower cabinet they will flicker or even lock on. Doesn't seem to be as sensitive if you bang around the head. No reaction if I wiggle the wires in the head so I'm certain it's an issue in the cabinet.

I've looked at the diodes on the flippers often... can't see an issue here... but this game has thousands of diodes. Just can't seem to trace it.

Few other issues I'm having
- Randomly a ball will begin with just sound. No music.
- Question... what's the easiest way to scrape these old insert decals off? I have a decal pkg for it... but these things are horrible to get off. I think that's my small list.

#4691 31 days ago

I bought plastic razor blades to remove the old graphics

amazon.com link »

I used the gel goo gone and let it sit on the graphics for a bit then a lot of scraping to clean them all up. Finished up by polishing the inserts using high grit sand paper. Worked out pretty good but was a ton of work. The plastic scrapers are also great for cleaning the mylar adhesive off the playfield without scratching it. You will go through a lot of plastic razor blades but I still have probably 20 left out of the 100 that came in the kit.

#4692 31 days ago
Quoted from pintibo:

Which ones do you need? I made some files for insert decals. please PM me if you would like to have those.

I would sure like to look at what you made. Looking into lazer printing some then airbrushing clear over em.

Thanks

#4693 29 days ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

- Randomly a ball will begin with just sound. No music.

Mine started doing the same thing

#4694 29 days ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Mine started doing the same thing

Mine did it two nights ago. Freaked me out. Hasn't done it since but was definitely weird not hearing that awesome music

#4695 29 days ago

It doesn't do it everytime but it does do it.if I turn it off and on or just drain the ball it works fine.it also on rare occasions will start up fine then lose the music mid ball then work fine after draining.

#4696 29 days ago

Any chance those of you with the intermittent sound issues are all running Rottendog boards?:

#4697 29 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Any chance those of you with the intermittent sound issues are all running Rottendog boards?:

I have that issue. Mine has a rottendog MPU board and the original audio board

#4698 29 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Pretty sure mine are all original

#4699 29 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Haven't looked since having it. I'll check what's in there later

#4700 28 days ago

While waiting for flipper parts new treasures arrive.

IMG_1158 (resized).jpgIMG_1159 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
2,300 (OBO)
Sale Pending!
Cleveland, OH
$ 12.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 85.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 17.00
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 50.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, OH
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 4758 posts in this topic. You are on page 94 of 96.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside