(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,596 posts
  • 469 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 14 hours ago by pb456
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
20240415_204854.jpg
2024-04-1520.55.50581660535718955564.jpg
IMG_5273 (resized).jpeg
20240412_180621.jpg
IMG_6898 (resized).jpg
IMG_6899 (resized).jpg
F-14 red legs (resized).jpg
25 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
pinside.beb8aa6ea670a2343b9c15463e46ada2dea4ae8f.jpg
20240323_184048.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 112.
#4451 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

I'm the club but need some repair help. The out lanes and in lane switches do not register a good friend and knowledgeable pinhead thought it might be the diode on the left inlane switch so I replaced it but made no changes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Forgot to note both slings work.

I just did this on mine with the help of another more experienced pinhead.

Refer to switch matrix and note that sling switches are not the playfield upright switches, but the end of stroke switches for the sling plunger (wire colors). Slings will still fire even if switch column is out, but will not register points.

I'd bet your whole column 8 is out, including left flipper eos.

Long story short i replaced transistor q46 after confirming it failed continuity test and that did the trick. Confused the hell out of me for awhile
Screenshot_20200624-152854.pngScreenshot_20200624-152854.png

#4452 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

I just did this on mine with the help of another more experienced pinhead.
Refer to switch matrix and note that sling switches are not the playfield upright switches, but the end of stroke switches for the sling plunger (wire colors). Slings will still fire even if switch column is out, but will not register points.
I'd bet your whole column 8 is out, including left flipper eos.
Long story short i replaced transistor q46 after confirming it failed continuity test and that did the trick. Confused the hell out of me for awhile
[quoted image]

Thank you very much, 2 questions, where did you aquire the transistor? And any shot of sharing a picture of where that is?

#4453 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Thank you very much, 2 questions, where did you aquire the transistor? And any shot of sharing a picture of where that is?

Before you go changing transistors make sure it's not just a broken wire at one of the switches in that column, remembering that they are not necessarily wired in in the order they are shown in the matrix. Trace that Green-Grey wire between all the switches in the column using a meter if possible because sometime the break can be very hard to see. A quick test is to see if any other switch in that column registers in switch test, if they do it's not the transistor.

#4454 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Before you go changing transistors make sure it's not just a broken wire at one of the switches in that column, remembering that they are not necessarily wired in in the order they are shown in the matrix. Trace that Green-Grey wire between all the switches in the column using a meter if possible because sometime the break can be very hard to see. A quick test is to see if any other switch in that column registers in switch test, if they do it's not the transistor.

I think you're on to something with the transistor....

20200624_185850 (resized).jpg20200624_185850 (resized).jpg
#4455 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

[quoted image]

2n3904 is what you want. Yeah lol mine didn't look like that and it was still bad.

Bobukcat is correct in his advice to first ensure wiring is good prior to replacing transistor. Switch test is also important to verify all switches in column are not registering.
I just jumped to it because this is to the T what I experienced not two weeks ago.

#4456 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

2n3904 is what you want. Yeah lol mine didn't look like that and it was still bad.
Bobukcat is correct in his advice to first ensure wiring is good prior to replacing transistor. Switch test is also important to verify all switches in column are not registering.
I just jumped to it because this is to the T what I experienced not two weeks ago.

So when I first got into this addiction I started out with a Taxi and High Speed. Long story short I had some issues with them. A cool local repair guy came out and repaired them and showed me some tricks. He left me some new parts in case I had issues. He left me transistor 2n4401 k27. They looked the same so I cobled it in there and everything seems to work. Will this be an issue since it's not the number you suggested? Only issue is the left inlane switch still doesn't register but the rest now work.

#4457 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

[quoted image]

Shattered, shadoobie!

#4458 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

So when I first got into this addiction I started out with a Taxi and High Speed. Long story short I had some issues with them. A cool local repair guy came out and repaired them and showed me some tricks. He left me some new parts in case I had issues. He left me transistor 2n4401 k27. They looked the same so I cobled it in there and everything seems to work. Will this be an issue since it's not the number you suggested? Only issue is the left inlane switch still doesn't register but the rest now work.

I have no clue. I really don't know a ton, the guy I got it from said it is only used as an on off pass and not for voltage, so maybe? Someone that knows more would probably be able to give you a better idea.

#4459 3 years ago
Quoted from Thunder90:

I have no clue. I really don't know a ton, the guy I got it from said it is only used as an on off pass and not for voltage, so maybe? Someone that knows more would probably be able to give you a better idea.

Thanks, not my field of specialty either. Like I said things started working again other that that left inlane switch.

#4460 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

2n4401 is a suitable replacement as you can see that things are working except that switch. You probably have a broken wire on it or near it, possibly it shorted to a high voltage switch / coil and that's what caused it to blow up dramatically like that. Switch test mode and an ohm meter (not with the game on) are your friend in this instance. First check for a broken wire as I suggested before, if you don't find a broken wire test / clean the actual switch to see if the contacts are good or possibly dirty.

#4461 3 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

2n4401 is a suitable replacement as you can see that things are working except that switch. You probably have a broken wire on it or near it, possibly it shorted to a high voltage switch / coil and that's what caused it to blow up dramatically like that. Switch test mode and an ohm meter (not with the game on) are your friend in this instance. First check for a broken wire as I suggested before, if you don't find a broken wire test / clean the actual switch to see if the contacts are good or possibly dirty.

Thanks, I'll do that in the morning. I started looking for broken wires first as that was the easiest but may have over looked them. I will definitely ohm them too.

On a side note anyone know what pieces I should order for the translite frame I have? The bottom piece is good but he cobbled the side and top with tape.

#4462 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Thanks, I'll do that in the morning. I started looking for broken wires first as that was the easiest but may have over looked them. I will definitely ohm them too.
On a side note anyone know what pieces I should order for the translite frame I have? The bottom piece is good but he cobbled the side and top with tape.

I'd just leave it as is. I had a hell of a time getting trim to fit mine correctly. If you really want to go the extra mile though... Theres a run of GORGEOUS mirror backglass available. I'd 100% rather have a glass than translite... maybe christmas this year.

https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/f14glass/

#4463 3 years ago

Can anyone using a translite measure the clear plexiglass portion please. My is cracked and I left my measurements on a piece of paper. Only problem is the game and paper are both 2 hours away my jat my buddies house and I would like to try to cut a new piece and take it with me when I go back this weekend. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#4464 3 years ago

I have the clear flasher domes in the back, a clear center topper dome, individual 44 sockets for the inserts, a 4 digit serial number that starts with 9, and a 554 model number.

Now my question is, can I order the less expensive late model display from X-Pin and flip the headers to the other side of the board to ensure a flush fit? Here is my speaker panel. I don't have the manual to check the original display's part number. I sold the original 7 years ago and no longer have the photos.

DSC_0284 (resized).JPGDSC_0284 (resized).JPG
#4465 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Now my question is, can I order the less expensive late model display

I have a early display I can sell you.

IMG_20200628_182920 (resized).jpgIMG_20200628_182920 (resized).jpg
#4466 3 years ago

Socks optional?

#4467 3 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Socks optional?

He was clearly sliding around in them to produce that blurry photo.

#4468 3 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Socks optional?

At least they are clean.

#4469 3 years ago

Thanks but this game is going on location 24/7 and I think it has high voltage issues anyway. I don't mind buying LED displays that don't burn in or outgas but $199 for a late display vs. $289 for an early display is kind of crazy if I can flip the connectors on a late display and drill mounting holes for a good fit. My understanding is the LED blocks don't stick out as far as the original glass, severely limiting viewing angles unless the LED display can sit more flush with the speaker panel.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-production-f14-display-help

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-displays-difference-between-early-and-late-production

#4470 3 years ago

What does the right inlane combo to the Yagov kicker do? Left to launch does launch bonus, but can't figure out what the opposite does.

#4471 3 years ago

Right inlane to center target when lit advances kill towards yagov extra ball

#4472 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Right inlane to center target when lit advances kill towards yagov extra ball

Right, but what does right inline to kicker do? It gives the same light indications as the launch bonus, so I'd assume the kicker does something as well?

#4473 3 years ago

Isn’t the kicker on the left?

#4474 3 years ago

Right inlane combo to kicker

#4475 3 years ago

Hello everyone.

I recently had to replace the MPU with one of the new Rottendog boards with the integrated sound daughter board. The audio is kind of bad. The voices are very scratchy and distorted and the music volume is way too low.

Does anyone know how this can be changed? In particular the music. It basically is missing the soundtrack if you don't want the callouts deafening you.

The cabinet has a good speaker upgrade, so that is not the problem.

#4476 3 years ago

The audio issue is probably emulation of the Harris CVSD sound decoder chip. This is difficult to get working properly in software. Unfortunately that aspect may not be fixable.

#4477 3 years ago

This has probably been mentioned, but I just upgraded my flippers to an external spring and hot diggity dog what an improvement! So much snappier. Makes the upper playfield way hotter and an already fast game faster.

I attached the springs to the bracket screws, but will likely drill holes in the bracket as per Vid's guide just because it looks cleaner.

IMG_20200706_171525.jpgIMG_20200706_171525.jpg
#4478 3 years ago

Hello folks, I got a thread started. I got 10 flashes on the MPU and I changed out U27, then tried disconnecting the connectors all except 1J17 and still get 10 flashes. Any help would be appreciated.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-sys-11a-10-diagnostic-flashes#post-5733260

#4479 3 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

Hello folks, I got a thread started. I got 10 flashes on the MPU and I changed out U27, then tried disconnecting the connectors all except 1J17 and still get 10 flashes. Any help would be appreciated.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-sys-11a-10-diagnostic-flashes#post-5733260

I just responded in your thread too but that board needs major, professional help to clean up and resolve the damage from leaking batteries. Good luck!

#4480 3 years ago

I sent the board off to be worked on. Thank you for you help.

I need to know what size these screws are. It holds the wire forms in place to the ramp. Tried using PPS but it's a pain in the butt.

20200709_175623 (resized).jpg20200709_175623 (resized).jpg
#4481 3 years ago

Im in the club

662A66C7-73B3-49D1-8761-38297D3624B1 (resized).jpeg662A66C7-73B3-49D1-8761-38297D3624B1 (resized).jpeg89EBA928-89F9-4947-9E33-69D5C32EE9D6 (resized).jpeg89EBA928-89F9-4947-9E33-69D5C32EE9D6 (resized).jpeg
#4482 3 years ago

I forgot to post the obligatory "I joined the Club" response. So, there it is, I guess. Non-working just a few days ago but I've got everything but the third display and the 08C flashers working. I've got a plan for the display that requires parts but currently stumped on the radar flashers. I'll probably post up a thread after looking through the 90 pages here for more info first.

#4483 3 years ago

What is the most recent Rom Update?

#4484 3 years ago

So the ball won't reset after a drain and I think I found the problem. Can anyone take pictures and show me how this should go together please?

20200717_201434 (resized).jpg20200717_201434 (resized).jpg20200717_201440 (resized).jpg20200717_201440 (resized).jpg20200717_201445 (resized).jpg20200717_201445 (resized).jpg
#4485 3 years ago

There you go, don't know what that plastic piece is in the last pic though.

IMG_0897 (resized).JPGIMG_0897 (resized).JPGIMG_0900 (resized).JPGIMG_0900 (resized).JPG
#4486 3 years ago
Quoted from chipleader:

There you go, don't know what that plastic piece is in the last pic though.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you very much

#4487 3 years ago

That last picture looks like the start button.

#4488 3 years ago

Anyone know the part number for the actual spinner? Mine has a wobbly arm that doesn't let it spin too will and will actually block the ball at times.

#4489 3 years ago

I have successfully used 50181 / A-7861
Not sure if this is the original part number

#4490 3 years ago
Quoted from harig:

I have successfully used 50181 / A-7861
Not sure if this is the original part number

can I ask where you purchased it from?

#4491 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

What is the most recent Rom Update?

L-1. From an era when they had enough time to finish the software before release.

There are a couple unofficial ones related to tournaments - one with a fixed jackpot value for all players, one with 8 digit 2x16 display update, one with a proc/dmd, probably others.

#4492 3 years ago

Sure: pinballshop.nl...so maybe not the best option for you due to shipping costs.

Printed the decals for the spinner on my own

#4493 3 years ago

Working on another F14 for a friend. This fuse keeps blowing on startup. No transistors on his rottendog board look bad or toasty. All coils on purple/yellow arent working. Flippers are working fine.

Where should I start hunting? All diodes on these coils look intact... no obvious burnt coils. I have a fuse breaker on the way to help diagnose this without wasting a bunch of fuses.

15955308449991400793298481287298 (resized).jpg15955308449991400793298481287298 (resized).jpg
#4494 3 years ago

Just curious, why is there a UTP cable running through the backbox?

#4495 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Working on another F14 for a friend. This fuse keeps blowing on startup. No transistors on his rottendog board look bad or toasty. All coils on purple/yellow arent working. Flippers are working fine.
Where should I start hunting? All diodes on these coils look intact... no obvious burnt coils. I have a fuse breaker on the way to help diagnose this without wasting a bunch of fuses.
[quoted image]

I'd start by testing the drive transistors for all those coils, I suspect you'll find one shorted. If none test shorted the breaker will help you determine which one is locking on at power up, if it isn't that you'll need to check the diodes and coils for a short.

#4496 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

[quoted image]

You have to use a multimeter to determine if a part is good/bad. Just looking at it will not answer many questions.
Check voltages too, just remember in many cases once you "just look at a friends ****" you usually own all future issues as "you touched it.. must be your fault". Electronics is not hard, but a good understanding in it is better than poking around blindly.

#4497 3 years ago
Quoted from centre-drain:

just remember in many cases once you "just look at a friends ****" you usually own all future issues as "you touched it.. must be your fault".

Respectfully, I disagree, and if anyone ever drops that line on me I'll tell them to drop my number too. Anyone who owns a pinball machine for more than about 12 seconds should very quickly realize that things break all.the.damn.time. At any given moment there seems to always be some stupid quirk with every machine I own or play.

I get what you're saying, people expect a lot of things, but I know Flash personally and he isn't doing this as some sort of high priced service, he's doing it because he can't help but try to assist people who truly don't have any idea what the hell they're doing. And I assure you, he's not just blindly poking around, either...

Kind of a crappy unnecessary response post to him if you ask me, but you do you.

#4498 3 years ago
Quoted from centre-drain:

You have to use a multimeter to determine if a part is good/bad. Just looking at it will not answer many questions.
Check voltages too, just remember in many cases once you "just look at a friends ****" you usually own all future issues as "you touched it.. must be your fault". Electronics is not hard, but a good understanding in it is better than poking around blindly.

All coils have been ohmed out reading 0.00 ohms. In my experience with original boards 99% of the time a blown transistor has obvious damage and ive swapped out many of them. Never worked with rottendog before and my post was more of a curiosity on how other people find their issues. Maybe theres a faster way than what I know of.

I suppose I will pull the board out and test each transistor one at a time to verify one isnt just out of range.

#4499 3 years ago
Quoted from koen12344:

Just curious, why is there a UTP cable running through the backbox?

A previous owner has soldered the GI wires directly to the lower right on power supply. So another owner put a small bus bar on the right presumably to be able to unplug them. It's a bit of a hack job in places.

15956008469544062544948337342970 (resized).jpg15956008469544062544948337342970 (resized).jpg
#4500 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Where should I start hunting?

You need to test the mosfets for the 50 volt coils, coils with the purple/yellow power wire.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 90 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/90 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.