(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,101 posts
  • 325 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by schwism
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,228 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200110_193532 (resized).jpg
20190901_211820 (resized).jpg
1EA22D7A-15F5-48A8-9CB3-5A0267C24B13 (resized).jpeg
81714E56-1F69-4BDF-956C-A29D4F0B0C18 (resized).jpeg
C46D21B3-C043-48BA-8411-40ED33A6193B (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.20.15 PM (resized).png
0A1FAC8F-F8B7-4022-A2F9-427D30D0E3B0 (resized).jpeg
20191026_193510 (resized).jpg
20191025_220604 (resized).jpg
20191025_220544 (resized).jpg
881B8B42-A93A-4236-8EDC-44DD76BB744F (resized).jpeg
02979AB8-B113-40D4-B71A-E29C2AB9CE66 (resized).jpeg
8F68FF0E-4EC1-42C7-8750-6F3C786179CA (resized).jpeg
F66A765B-6CD5-4CEB-9C94-8321AC303173 (resized).jpeg
625D4BB7-2C1C-49E1-8FC6-856F6C0B01E9 (resized).jpeg
DC33FB5C-B7C1-4208-B6A3-6DAE1D0AFC13 (resized).jpeg

There are 4101 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 83.
#401 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Yes, and you should get explosion sounds.

Thanks. Trying to track down some issues.

My right eject and right flipper coils are causing one of my GI 5amp fuses to blow. Could that be a snubber issue?

Also the lower flashers for #2 and #3 are not flashing, but the corresponding flashers in the row at the back of the game work. Checked resistors and non are missing or loose.

#402 5 years ago

In the process of shopping mine out.

image-506.jpg
#403 5 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Thanks. Trying to track down some issues.
My right eject and right flipper coils are causing one of my GI 5amp fuses to blow. Could that be a snubber issue?

Your welcome. The 5A GI fuses are only protecting branch GI circuits. Coils firing causing the fuses to blow: likely either miswiring or short between GI (probably a socket) and coil circuit.

Quoted from mbott1701:

Also the lower flashers for #2 and #3 are not flashing, but the corresponding flashers in the row at the back of the game work. Checked resistors and non are missing or loose.

The other flasher working tell you flasher power is good. Make sure flasher power is getting to the flasher sockets. Do the corresponding solenoids 02A and 03A work? If they work and power is getting to the flasher, then all you have is wiring/flasher resistor board and socket that could be the problem. Besides checking the resistors on the flasher boards, the connections to them are often a problem with wires breaking the solder from heat over time. Check the wires where they enter those boards and reflow them. Look for possible broken traces too.

#404 5 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

And if they haven't fallen off, check the solder. They can indeed get hot enough (or rattled enough) to desolder themselves but they don't always fall off.
The click you are hearing is the A/C select coil, switching over to allow the flashers to fire instead of the coils. Odd you don't hear it on #6 and #7, but check the resistors first. There are no other relays involved with those flashers, snubber boards are only used on coils....

All,

Thanks for the advice. Already checked that all resistors are in place. Will check solder connections on the resistor boards. Also, ordered a couple new snubber boards to replace where those two flasher wires terminate. Will update once I have some time this weekend.

#405 5 years ago
Quoted from ViperMX:

All,
Thanks for the advice. Already checked that all resistors are in place. Will check solder connections on the resistor boards. Also, ordered a couple new snubber boards to replace where those two flasher wires terminate. Will update once I have some time this weekend.

If you haven't, replace the flasher 89 bulbs with new ones. If new bulbs don't work, check for loose wires. Next I would check transistors for each flasher.

#406 5 years ago

FYI, for anyone ordering a replacement pop bumper cap, either the F-14 manual is wrong, or Marco has the part number listed incorrectly. According to the manual, the pop bumper cap p/n is;

03-7444-9

If you punch this number into the Marco search you get an opaque red pop bumper cap;
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7444-9

The proper p/n on Marco is;
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8254-9

I would have to guess the manual is correct and that Marco is wrong, but who knows? Either way, I'm stuck with a pop bumper cap I'll never use because I had a 3rd party order it for me that was not familiar with F-14.

BTW, PinballLife has the proper transparent cap as well;
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=327

They list the part number for the transparent cap as 03-8254-9 as well. Odd.

F-14 originally came with a transparent bumper cap right? I wonder why it's listed incorrectly in the F-14 manual from ipdb.org?

Lesson learned for me, I'll be ordering my own parts from now on.

#407 5 years ago

Thanks again for you help, wayout. Flashers are back online. Still trying to track down the short with the GI circuit.

I had replaced the upper flipper coil, but checked my wiring against the pictures I took before making the swap and it's wired up as it was before. I didn't do anything with the right eject coil. No sockets making contact with anything they shouldn't be as far as I can tell.

#408 5 years ago

F-14 is sold. I'm leaving this club and joining the Starship Troopers club.

#409 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

yagov2.jpg

#410 5 years ago

[EDIT] Found my answer back a few posts. Thank you.

#411 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Whoever got this F14 from Wolfmarsh just got an amazing machine. That thing is sooooo beautiful.

#412 5 years ago
Quoted from graystarsfan1:

Whoever got this F14 from Wolfmarsh just got an amazing machine. That thing is sooooo beautiful.

It was another pinsider, but I'll let him say it if he wants to.

I knew it was going to a guy who would be able to appreciate it, so I feel like in the end I let it go for a pretty good number. It's time for someone else to enjoy her company.

#413 5 years ago

Garage painted! Matching walls to rest of house, flat black for ceiling, figuring to line pins on each side started with some Steve Ritchie HS, and F14! HS2 will be beside the F14 so Ritchie trio here...my F14, LEDs, Pinballpro, new plastics etc, playfield is still pretty decent this game is so fast I love it....used some headlight lens restorer on the domes worked great!IMG_0250.JPGIMG_0253.JPGIMG_0254.JPG

#414 5 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Garage painted! Matching walls to rest of house, flat black for ceiling, figuring to line pins on each side started with some Steve Ritchie HS, and F14! HS2 will be beside the F14 so Ritchie trio here...my F14, LEDs, Pinballpro, new plastics etc, playfield is still pretty decent this game is so fast I love it....used some headlight lens restorer on the domes worked great!

Great looking game. I must comment though: You probably need to leave some ambient lighting on in the room to play it well. I am getting up in years and a well lit F-14 gets difficult to play in the dark

#415 5 years ago

I think I love F-14 just for the 3 beacons alone.
I seriously love them.
Love the fast paced play of this game.

#416 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

my F14, LEDs, Pinballpro, new plastics etc, playfield is still pretty decent this game is so fast I love it....used some headlight lens restorer on the domes worked great!

Looks sweet. I like how you kept the red and blue them at the slings and apron. How do you like the Pinball pro speakers in the Tomcat? Was thinking about getting them.

#417 5 years ago

Sorry, meant to quote volkdrive.

#418 5 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Looks sweet. I like how you kept the red and blue them at the slings and apron. How do you like the Pinball pro speakers in the Tomcat? Was thinking about getting them.

Your quote is what I quoted off Volkdrive's quote, just to be clear. His is the game with Pinball pro speakers. I have stock speakers and a 100W sub and it sounds great, BTW.

#419 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

I have stock speakers and a 100W sub and it sounds great, BTW

What brand of sub did you put in there? My stock speakers sound, I dunno, tinny and crackle so I was thinking about replacing them or at least do a cap kit on the audio board.

#420 5 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

What brand of sub did you put in there? My stock speakers sound, I dunno, tinny and crackle so I was thinking about replacing them or at least do a cap kit on the audio board.

It's an older model Optimus 100 watt subwoofer. I found it at a flea market. The seller said it worked and wanted 10 bucks for it, so I took the gamble. It works fine for a pin. I soldered the audio feed directly to the speaker terminals to the high power input on the sub and ran AC power for it tapped after the game power switch so the sub turns on with the game power. Both cables run through a corner of the rear cabinet floor vents and the sub sits under the game.

You'll probably want to clean up the crackle first and then add in a sub. Check your local garage sales and flea markets, I see stuff like this all the time. It doesn't need to be extravagant for pinball.

#421 5 years ago

Me again, this time I'm replacing some plunger parts. I took the plunger apart. Now I'm putting it back together. There is a plunger sleeve that came with the new parts. Mine didn't have one. How is this installed?

#422 5 years ago

It gets inserted from the inside. The lip will be inside the game.

#423 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It gets inserted from the inside. The lip will be inside the game.

That made the most sense, but I wanted to double-check. Thank you!

#424 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Does anyone have any cool jet bumper mods? I've seen the multi-led bumper mod, but I was wondering if there were any other ideas out there. I like the old 70's style pins that had the stars on the bumper caps. Like this;

Quoted from Fifty:

I was thinking of having a decal made up for it. Maybe a hammer and sicle or the Mig star;

Hey FiftyQuid, I was messing around with this idea recently. I thought the Tomcat fighter patch logo would be better than a Russian icon. I tried different materials and ended up printing on transparent adhesive label sheets.

bumper1.jpg

bumper2.jpg

bumper3.jpg

#425 5 years ago

That looks pretty badass! I have to get one of those LED bumper caps. PinballLife is sold out right now.

Is that installed on the under side of the cap? I really like the idea. Transparent print looks good and subtle. I think I like the look of it better with the center light/LED unlit. The middle bulb sort of wrecks it. Maybe the lighting could be softened?

All in all, I think it looks very good. Nice work!

#426 5 years ago

The label is on the top, but I put a piece of white vinyl under the top to help the image be more view-able. ...Also to help soften that center led, buy yeah, that center led might have to go. It's part of the led bumper cap unit so, I'd either have to disable it or cover it.

#427 5 years ago

Hi guys, I've started shopping the upper PF. I'm replacing my flippers due to the build up of crud on them. They won't come clean. Anyway, I went to change the upper left flipper and noticed it has a clear piece of plastic on top of it. Is this normal? Seems weird to me. I don't know what purpose it would serve.

20140628_205720.jpg

#428 5 years ago

Hmm, ya know mine had the same style for that upper left flipper, the only one that had the extra plastic piece on it. Not sure if it serves a functional purpose or not.

#429 5 years ago

Never seen that before. Can't think of any reason for it to be there.

#430 5 years ago

Mine had that as well, it was probably for some kind of ball hang ups or something.

I didn't bother putting that on the new flipper I installed, it's not been a problem.

#431 5 years ago

Thanks guys. Asthetically it looks like crap, even though I didn't notice it until now. Odd thing is, it doesn't have the Williams logo on it like the other 3 flippers. I'll remove it and toss the plastic into my parts bin.

#432 5 years ago

*Double post*

Same flipper. I've removed it. There was a washer installed under it. This is the only flipper on the PF that had a washer under it. Are they supposed to have washers under them, or is this flipper the anomaly again?

#433 5 years ago

Mine had the washer on that upper left flipper too. I replace the flipper bat but did not reuse the washer. Game is playing fine without it as far as I can tell. What is your serial number, Fifty?

#434 5 years ago

#435 5 years ago

My game is 106717. Wonder if it was just the later runs had this certain upper left flipper configuration?

#436 5 years ago

Maybe. I haven't noticed anything else out of the ordinary.

#437 5 years ago

yeah, thats odd. I have an older machine and it never had anything like that on it. I have since done a complete flipper rebuild on my mine and works great without any of that stuff.

#438 5 years ago

Did the obligatory jet mod to the Tomcat.

F-14 over the upper right flipper, with color changing spotlight. ..also added a wingman with leds.

mod1.png

Pair of F-14 jets.

General Yagov's Mig-29. I put LED's on the missile pods and wired them into the extra ball lamp.

Yagov's Mig-29 with leds

Short videos of them...

#439 5 years ago

Great job on the LED jet! Looks like you also illuminated the "Kill Yagov" sticker there behind it.

Excellent!

#440 5 years ago

Sick! That looks sweet! I cannot wait until I'm done shopping my F-14 so I can get to this fun stuff! How did you mount the jets? Where did you buy those jets from? They look very clean. Do the wings open on the F-14?

I'm hoping to buy an F-14 and hook it up to a motor. I want the wings to be open during normal play. When the Release light is triggered I want the wings to close. Basically I want closed wings as long as the beacons are spinning.

#441 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Sick! That looks sweet! I cannot wait until I'm done shopping my F-14 so I can get to this fun stuff! How did you mount the jets? Where did you buy those jets from? They look very clean. Do the wings open on the F-14?
I'm hoping to buy an F-14 and hook it up to a motor. I want the wings to be open during normal play. When the Release light is triggered I want the wings to close. Basically I want closed wings as long as the beacons are spinning.

Sounds to me like you've got a lot of work ahead of you

#442 5 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Sounds to me like you've got a lot of work ahead of you

I'm almost there. The entire PF is cleaned and waxed now. I just have to reassemble everything. I'm wondering if I should wait and place an order for a few things first though. I want to make a lighting modification to the Yagov Kicker which requires swapping out some wiring under the black plastic. Since I'm doing that, I'm wondering if I should do the wiring to put back the two original flashers that were service recalled at the same time.

If I wait, then I can't reassemble anything as the black plastic (by the divertor) pretty much holds everything together. One thing leads to another in the world of pinball.

#443 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Great job on the LED jet! Looks like you also illuminated the "Kill Yagov" sticker there behind it

Thanks! No, it's just the light reflecting from my color changing spot on the Mig jet. I did get one of Ghoen's acrylic signs, but haven't decided if I'm going to use it or not yet.

Quoted from Fifty:

Sick! That looks sweet! ! How did you mount the jets? Where did you buy those jets from? They look very clean. Do the wings open on the F-14?

Thanks, Fifty. I used 16 gauge, black hobby wire. Attached one end to the jet's stand mounting hole, then the other end I bent and put around the screw holding the plastics. I got the jets from eBay, the are of the postage stamp series 1/100 scale. They are actually about 1/144 I think. The wings are fixed on the F-14. Your plan sounds pretty cool and ambitious! Look forward to seeing how it turns out.

Quoted from Fifty:

'm wondering if I should do the wiring to put back the two original flashers that were service recalled at the same time.

I did this when I had the playfield out and disassembled, seemed like the best time and you can get to things easier so it makes the job go smoothing, at least it did for me.

#444 5 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Thanks, Fifty. I used 16 gauge, black hobby wire. Attached one end to the jet's stand mounting hole, then the other end I bent and put around the screw holding the plastics.

Do you have a pic of this?

#445 5 years ago

Not the best pics, but you get the idea. I used heat shrink for the Mig, since the wires run down the mounting wire.

jet1.jpg

jet2.jpg

#446 5 years ago

Looks pretty clean. Nice install.

Mind sharing your eBay link? I wouldn't mind knowing which models you purchased as these are more to my liking.

#448 5 years ago

Thank you!

Guys, F-14 has a ton of stand up target switches. The target faces on some of mine are warped. The one side sticks out further than the other. Do any of you have a trick to get them flat again?

#449 5 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Did the obligatory jet mod to the Tomcat.
F-14 over the upper right flipper, with color changing spotlight.

Looks great. However, does the plane block the view of the flipper.

#450 5 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

does the plane block the view of the flipper.

Thanks. No, I don't think so. I haven't had any issues of not seeing the ball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Iowa City, IA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 17.00
There are 4101 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 83.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside