(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,034 posts
  • 319 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,213 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DC33FB5C-B7C1-4208-B6A3-6DAE1D0AFC13 (resized).jpeg
B0F64912-39F5-416C-A94D-58595E0350CB (resized).jpeg
04E3C15C-A6E5-48F6-8CCD-00EFCAA125B7 (resized).jpeg
20191012_085151 (resized).jpg
20191012_085132 (resized).jpg
CF00E10A-4C10-4798-9161-2DFFF008B890 (resized).jpeg
E4019B06-32CC-47F0-A397-2CF464E2F494 (resized).jpeg
20191004_014053 (resized).jpg
20191004_013502 (resized).jpg
20191004_011436 (resized).jpg
20191004_014737 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191001_131447764 (resized).jpg
schematic (resized).png
IMG_20190930_222458467 (resized).jpg
20190929_100507 (resized).jpg
347DC393-1BDA-471B-AFB3-BE504785D530 (resized).jpeg

There are 4034 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 81.
#4002 9 days ago

Just joined the club tonight! The game has a bad mpu but I have a a spare one.

Does anyone know where I could get the ROMs needed for U26,U27, U22, and U21?

#4003 8 days ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Does anyone know where I could get the ROMs needed for U26,U27, U22, and U21?

In the Pinside marketplace, of course!

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1083-matt-s-basement-arcade/by-game/164-f-14-tomcat

#4004 6 days ago

Just got my CPR mirrored back glass! Not cheap but wow it is beautiful and well done in person! Time to put my stock one up for sale and time for some powder coating!
CF00E10A-4C10-4798-9161-2DFFF008B890 (resized).jpegE4019B06-32CC-47F0-A397-2CF464E2F494 (resized).jpeg

#4005 6 days ago

Nice machine...

#4006 5 days ago

Wanted to post some pics of my custom paint still in process. All that is left is to create some custom numbering and emblems. I also have a reproduction grummond VIN tag coming and I think I'll probably copy the sn and model numbers from the Williams tag onto it and mount it on the front.

20191012_085132 (resized).jpg20191012_085151 (resized).jpg
#4007 5 days ago

Installed back glass, what a difference. Had to install brighter led bulbs to get the light through.

04E3C15C-A6E5-48F6-8CCD-00EFCAA125B7 (resized).jpeg
#4008 5 days ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Installed back glass, what a difference. Had to install brighter led bulbs to get the light through.[quoted image]

I’m assuming that’s the CPR backglass. Looks amazing. I’m picking up a really nice F-14 tomorrow and am tempted to order a backglass from CPR.

#4009 5 days ago

It is. The lines, colours are so sharp. The lightning bolt in upper left is very clear and well done too.

#4010 5 days ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

It is. The lines, colours are so sharp. The lightning bolt in upper left is very clear and well done too.

I don’t think I can resist. Thanks for the pics and thoughts!

#4011 5 days ago

Jdoz2 - the ROMs are all freely available on IPDB. Burn them yourself or get a friend to help

#4012 3 days ago

I am almost done restoring my F-14 and installed a new plastics set. I am looking for the metal Z-brackets that mount to the right hand side clear plastics. My copy did not have the clear plastics on it when I bought it.

If anyone has the brackets from a parts game or a template so I can make mine it would be appreciated.

Cheers!

#4013 3 days ago

I am looking for a F-14 translite+glass+trim that's ready to install if anyone is looking to sell their extra one after installing a BG.

#4014 3 days ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I am looking for a F-14 translite+glass+trim that's ready to install if anyone is looking to sell their extra one after installing a BG.

I can part with my glass and translite. The trim I need to reuse. My translite was NOS when I installed it back in March of this year. Looks mint. Pinball Life has the plastic trim set, but if it’s a big deal for you to buy a ready to install piece, I can order myself a new set, too. PM me if you’re interested.

#4015 3 days ago

Quick question before I have time to dive in.

My f14 on route. You hit start and the coils fire except the ball through to push a ball into the shooter lane. In coil test the game fires both trough coils fine.

I’ll look into a switch test, I’m just not used to the sys11’s menu system to test and diagnose....time to fix Munsters...

#4016 3 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Quick question before I have time to dive in.
My f14 on route. You hit start and the coils fire except the ball through to push a ball into the shooter lane. In coil test the game fires both trough coils fine.
I’ll look into a switch test, I’m just not used to the sys11’s menu system to test and diagnose....time to fix Munsters...

Sounds like its looking for a missing ball that's not in the trough.

#4017 3 days ago

That’s what I thought.

I found the switch level and switch edge test, the trough switches all show a different switch when triggered. Like shooter lane is top left loop. The manual says it could be a column and row mixing.. but I took a video. It is odd. All troughs show a different switch but that switch it shows acts just fine in test. I physically looked at all the switches and they seem good solder wise and working.

#4018 3 days ago

I just picked up a really nice F-14 yesterday. It has LEDs under the playfield but not behind the translite. The guy I bought it from said he thought LEDs behind the translite were too bright. What are everyone’s thoughts? Should I leave it as is or put LEDs behind the translite? Thanks in advance.

#4019 3 days ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I just picked up a really nice F-14 yesterday. It has LEDs under the playfield but not behind the translite. The guy I bought it from said he thought LEDs behind the translite were too bright. What are everyone’s thoughts? Should I leave it as is or put LEDs behind the translite? Thanks in advance.

I think warm white or sunlight frosted would be good. Have warm white frosted in mine. Definitely don't color puke it.

#4020 3 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

That’s what I thought.
I found the switch level and switch edge test, the trough switches all show a different switch when triggered. Like shooter lane is top left loop. The manual says it could be a column and row mixing.. but I took a video. It is odd. All troughs show a different switch but that switch it shows acts just fine in test. I physically looked at all the switches and they seem good solder wise and working.

Here is an example

#4021 3 days ago

Were all the balls in the trough durning that test? Maybe you have a switch shorted to ground? Do all the same switches display on test? Which ones?

#4022 3 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Here is an example

I'd use the diode and jumper method to find out if the problem is on the board or on the playfield then go from there. Good luck!

#4023 3 days ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

Were all the balls in the trough durning that test? Maybe you have a switch shorted to ground? Do all the same switches display on test? Which ones?

They were in and out. When in, they don’t trigger anything on the test read outs. When out, I triggered the switches with my fingers and they showed the different switches being triggered.

All the switches I tried displayed, but only the trough and shooter lane show weird results.

I visually inspected all the switches I could and all seem fine. I tugged on wires and diodes and didn’t see any broke.

#4024 3 days ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

I'd use the diode and jumper method to find out if the problem is on the board or on the playfield then go from there. Good luck!

Is that the one in the manual? Where you unplug a plug and do a jumper test?

My worry is board, and I just had the boards worked on.... ugh pinball

#4025 3 days ago

Would anyone mind measuring the length of the camlock arm (pawl?) in the backbox? I just sold my tomcat and realized the backbox was missing the actual lock arm. I put one in that was a bit too long so I'd like to point the guy in the direction of the proper length lock.

#4026 3 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Where you unplug a plug and do a jumper test?

Unplug J-8 and J-10 from the CPU board. Then put the game back into switch test. You should see no switches show up on the display. If you do see switch numbers on the display you have a CPU problem.

#4027 2 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Unplug J-8 and J-10 from the CPU board. Then put the game back into switch test. You should see no switches show up on the display. If you do see switch numbers on the display you have a CPU problem.

I’ll give that a shot. thanks

#4028 1 day ago

I’m far from an experienced restorer of pins, so does anyone have any suggestions for how to best restore the sides of the back box? You can see the sides of the cabinet are pretty clean. Are there stencils available? Decals? Thanks for any suggestions.

B0F64912-39F5-416C-A94D-58595E0350CB (resized).jpegDC33FB5C-B7C1-4208-B6A3-6DAE1D0AFC13 (resized).jpeg
#4029 1 day ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’m far from an experienced restorer of pins, so does anyone have any suggestions for how to best restore the sides of the back box? You can see the sides of the cabinet are pretty clean. Are there stencils available? Decals? Thanks for any suggestions.[quoted image][quoted image]

Spread your other two machines at least 30" apart, put f14 in the gap and push it into the lineup.

#4030 9 hours ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

J10 and j8 unplugged. In switch edge and switch level tests. No switches pop up on the displays

Edit
I take that as a good sign my boards aren’t bad, but now it’s finding out why a random part of a column and a row are showing a different switch in test

#4031 7 hours ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’m far from an experienced restorer of pins, so does anyone have any suggestions for how to best restore the sides of the back box? You can see the sides of the cabinet are pretty clean. Are there stencils available? Decals? Thanks for any suggestions.[quoted image][quoted image]

Decals available. I’m trying to remember where though, they also had an alternate color scheme.

#4032 6 hours ago
Quoted from northvibe:

but now it’s finding out why a random part of a column and a row are showing a different switch in test

Spend ten minutes and just look over all the lamp sockets, ensure that none have gotten bent into a switch blade or diode.
Look at all switch diodes and wires to ensure nothing is shorting out a diode and all switches are open.

#4033 2 hours ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Spend ten minutes and just look over all the lamp sockets, ensure that none have gotten bent into a switch blade or diode.
Look at all switch diodes and wires to ensure nothing is shorting out a diode and all switches are open.

The dreaded long look ya I’ll have to go tomorrow with daylight. Always a fun time when it’s on route thanks for the tips! I’m gone a week for work so I’d love to have this work while I’m gone... I’ll just look over all switches and see if something fell or is loose

#4034 2 hours ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The dreaded long look ya

Post some pics so a bunch of eyes can look too.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Greenfield, WI
$ 221.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Canfield, OH
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 4034 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 81.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside