(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,925 posts
  • 314 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 hours ago by treborlicec
  • Topic is favorited by 125 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,183 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

ps (resized).PNG
F-14 - Retrofitting the Proto-Flasher.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_20190914_160428 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190914_161732 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190913_213654 (resized).jpg
20190910_181003 (resized).jpg
20190910_180957 (resized).jpg
20190910_180948 (resized).jpg
20190910_180940 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190907_235527922 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190907_235508173 (resized).jpg
DSCN1716 (resized).JPG
DSCN1715 (resized).JPG
DSCN1717 (resized).JPG
156768031170411418622777935734 (resized).jpg
IMG_20190903_121130817 (resized).jpg

There are 3925 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 79.
#3901 6 days ago

Got my beacon motor installed today as the final piece to mine. Gotta clean and oil the outside beacons I guess. It's squeaking a tad when the rotate.

#3902 6 days ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Good Afternoon. I had posted an issue I was having with the 6 flashers at the back of the playfield several months ago, and with the gracious help from @Grumpy, and several others, I was able to fix them by tracking down, a couple of bad resistors, and replacing those resisitor boards. Which brings me to today. 2 quit working again, and I've determined the lamp sockets in that back circuit board are bad. I decided to replace all the sockets with new ones, so I removed them from the board then started looking for new ones. I cant find any exactly like the originals. On the originals, there was no mounting bracket, and the terminals pointed straight down and were soldered directly to the board. I was able to find the ones in the attached pictures, but Im curious what you guys who know what you're doing would do. Would you bend the terminals down, and snip them to a thinner width to fit in the holes in the board, and solder them in? Or do I need to find the correct lamp socket. Unfortunately, the originals have been tossed. Nobody has replacement boards, and I can't find a used one.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are you sure they aren't fixable? I've had lots of luck using a wire brush chucked into my drill and cleaning out old sockets to make them have good contact again.

#3903 6 days ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Are you sure they aren't fixable? I've had lots of luck using a wire brush chucked into my drill and cleaning out old sockets to make them have good contact again.

Unfortunately, they got tossed. I left them near some things that were headed to the trash, and they got tossed. However, the fiber insulators were cracked and pieces were falling out.

#3904 6 days ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Im curious what you guys who know what you're doing would do.

I'm not saying that I have tried this, but I would cut off the mounting bracket. Then I would solder on a piece of wire for each lead to the board. Then epoxy the socket to the board lining up the center pin to the hole in the board. Hold It straight until dry. Then solder the wires to the socket tabs.

#3905 6 days ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I'm not saying that I have tried this, but I would cut off the mounting bracket. Then I would solder on a piece of wire for each lead to the board. Then epoxy the socket to the board lining up the center pin to the hole in the board. Hold It straight until dry. Then solder the wires to the socket tabs.

That's a great idea! Thank you Grumpy!

#3906 6 days ago
Quoted from treborlicec:

Got my beacon motor installed today as the final piece to mine. Gotta clean and oil the outside beacons I guess. It's squeaking a tad when the rotate.

Never even thought about doing this. Mine squeal quite a bit too. Good idea.

#3907 5 days ago

I wonder the likelihood of F-14 getting a hardtop. I’ve not seen anything mentioned from OutsideEdge about it, but I’m sorta holding out hope that one will be made. My F-14 needs one and I can’t spend the cash for a new playfield.

What do you guys think? Pipe dream?

#3909 4 days ago
Quoted from chadryan44:

I wonder the likelihood of F-14 getting a hardtop. I’ve not seen anything mentioned from OutsideEdge about it, but I’m sorta holding out hope that one will be made. My F-14 needs one and I can’t spend the cash for a new playfield.
What do you guys think? Pipe dream?

Never hurts to email them and inquire. Im sure the club would like to know if its a future possibility.

If your playfield is that bad there's always the option of just selling yours and waiting on a good one. That's what I did. 2 years later I found one that had been clearcoated and abandoned because the guy left the GI bulbs in the game when he cleared it and it basically glued the bulbs into the sockets permanently.

I still need to solder a bunch of new sockets in as I find the time. But my playfield is gorgeous and 100% better than my first F14.

#3910 4 days ago

Theres always the possibility of a really nice repro playfield. Top quality work:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demand-check-f14-tom-cat/page/9

#3911 4 days ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Never hurts to email them and inquire. Im sure the club would like to know if its a future possibility.
If your playfield is that bad there's always the option of just selling yours and waiting on a good one. That's what I did. 2 years later I found one that had been clearcoated and abandoned because the guy left the GI bulbs in the game when he cleared it and it basically glued the bulbs into the sockets permanently.
I still need to solder a bunch of new sockets in as I find the time. But my playfield is gorgeous and 100% better than my first F14.

Yeah, I'm sure they're bombarded with emails of "When will you produce a hardtop for [my game]", but if we never contact them they will never know if demand exists.

Quoted from Phantasize:

Theres always the possibility of a really nice repro playfield. Top quality work:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demand-check-f14-tom-cat/page/9

I don't doubt the quality of Peter's work one bit! He and I did exchange some emails, but the price for his gorgeous replacement playfield is more than I can afford at the present. One of his playfields would be amazing, no doubt.

#3912 3 days ago

F-14 Tomcat with no displays. It would boot and play fine with display unplugged. 5 flashes with it plugged in on the diag LED followed by 10 flashes of the reset LED.

Replaced shorted 6557 with new 15031 as per the online guide, and installed a temporary 0.25a breaker since I didn't have a fuse. Powered on and immediately smoked something in the upper right corner on the main board. I have ~95vac at the fuse holder. Nothing looks burnt where the smoke came from.

It now doesn't boot at all even though the LEDs are normal (with display disconnected). Any guidance is appreciated. Would like to not have to call in the professional.

IMG_20190913_213654 (resized).jpgIMG_20190914_160428 (resized).jpgIMG_20190914_161732 (resized).jpg
#3913 1 day ago

Hello guys,

I was already often asked if I can write a manual how to refit the prototype flashers back into the F-14 Tomcat.
So I decided to translate my German description.
I will upload the PDF later this evening.

Regards
Averell

#3914 1 day ago

cpr now has F-14 Real Backglass with Custom Mirroring available!
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/f14glass/

#3915 1 day ago

Here's a short description how to reinstall the proto flasher in your F-14 Tomcat.

F-14 - Retrofitting the Proto-Flasher.pdf

#3916 1 day ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Unfortunately, they got tossed. I left them near some things that were headed to the trash, and they got tossed.

If all else fails, I have a spare light board. Hit me up if you think you’ll need it.

#3917 1 day ago
Quoted from Shabazz18:

F-14 Tomcat with no displays. It would boot and play fine with display unplugged. 5 flashes with it plugged in on the diag LED followed by 10 flashes of the reset LED.
Replaced shorted 6557 with new 15031 as per the online guide, and installed a temporary 0.25a breaker since I didn't have a fuse. Powered on and immediately smoked something in the upper right corner on the main board. I have ~95vac at the fuse holder. Nothing looks burnt where the smoke came from.
It now doesn't boot at all even though the LEDs are normal (with display disconnected). Any guidance is appreciated. Would like to not have to call in the professional.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Are all your other test point voltages within range? I'd suggest you start a thread on this in the SS Tech section and you'll probably get Grumpy and some of the other Sys 11 gurus to help you out with it.

#3918 1 day ago
Quoted from cletus:

If all else fails, I have a spare light board. Hit me up if you think you’ll need it.

Thank you for the offer cletus , but I got her up and running! I really appreciate it though.

#3919 1 day ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Are all your other test point voltages within range? I'd suggest you start a thread on this in the SS Tech section and you'll probably get Grumpy and some of the other Sys 11 gurus to help you out with it.

He installed the wrong transistor. He should have installed a 15030. I'm not sure what else is damaged too.

#3920 1 day ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

He installed the wrong transistor. He should have installed a 15030. I'm not sure what else is damaged too.

Ah yes, the old PNP'd when you really should have NPN'd!

#3921 1 day ago
Quoted from Shabazz18:

Replaced shorted 6557 with new 15031

You should have used a MJE15030 not a MJE15031.
The power supply needs to be recapped too.
The next time you work on the power supply only connect this one connector. Then power on the game and check for the correct outputs on the power supply first before connecting the CPU board.
When done let us know what you got.

ps (resized).PNG
#3922 1 day ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

I got her up and running! I really appreciate it though.

Did the epoxy job work?

#3923 14 hours ago

My bottom right Player 4 display is out. Im assuming probably outgassed. Is it worth trying to find another standard williams numeric 7 digit display and soldering it in? Or should I bite the bullet and go with the LED before the others follow suit? Opinions?

#3924 11 hours ago

LED

#3925 9 hours ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

My bottom right Player 4 display is out. Im assuming probably outgassed. Is it worth trying to find another standard williams numeric 7 digit display and soldering it in? Or should I bite the bullet and go with the LED before the others follow suit? Opinions?

If you go LED, I'd be interested in your old one as parts. Lemme know. Thanks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 221.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
1,400 (Firm)
Sale Pending!
Carlisle, PA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
€ 3.70
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, OH
Machine - For Sale
Olive Branch, MS
There are 3925 posts in this topic. You are on page 79 of 79.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside