(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,612 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 hours ago by slochar
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240421_172524.jpg
20240421_172419.jpg
20240421_172459.jpg
20240421_172410.jpg
sample (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5330 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240421_191638_All PDF Reader (resized).jpg
20240420_160918.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
20240415_204854.jpg
2024-04-1520.55.50581660535718955564.jpg
IMG_5273 (resized).jpeg
20240412_180621.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,612 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 113.
#3801 4 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Is it possible my beacons are pulling power away from that VUK coil somehow?

Beacons are 26 vac and the VUK coil is 50 volts dc. But the VUK coil is turned on by a snubber relay, this relay is powered by B+ which comes from the same winding that power the beacons. I would check the connector 6P1 in the cabinet for a poor connection on the red wires. Then I would remove the snubber and look for cracked solder joints.

trans (resized).PNGtrans (resized).PNGcracked pins (resized).jpgcracked pins (resized).jpg
#3802 4 years ago

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of the snubber board. It's almost certainly the culprit. When I removed it to check the solder joints, I found that it had been hacked pretty bad- one of the through hole pads was missing and it had a couple jumper wires connecting different sides of the relay. The relay itself had been replaced.
I just ordered a new board from pinballpcb.com. I'm hoping that does the trick.

I can't believe I didn't think of the beacons before as a possible connection. I played one game earlier where the ball got stuck in the VUK....I reached into the backbox, unplugged the beacon, and it fired instantly.

#3803 4 years ago

Just joined the club today! Game isn't fully working, so I'm excited to dig in. I'll have to find a pic.....

D3A9267A-773B-4AA6-93D6-A34234208BA9 (resized).jpegD3A9267A-773B-4AA6-93D6-A34234208BA9 (resized).jpeg
#3804 4 years ago

Does anybody have a high res scan of Hitman and Yag from the top of the PF? Mine are pretty worn.

#3805 4 years ago

Hey all, got a new F-14, so yay! Problem though, it only registers every other ball drain??? No joke, it is dialed in to every other drain, so it won’t pop another ball out to the shooter lane. And if I turn the game off on the one it is supposed to not register, and turn it on, it can’t find the ball. Not sure how it’s possible that it is such a consistent error, but that’s what’s happening. Anyone had this happen on theirs???

#3806 4 years ago

I'm in the process of repairing my playfield and I noticed that a few of my blue arrowheads have some hairline cracks. I've looked on marco and pinball life for them but can't seem to find replacements. Do they exist anywhere?

#3807 4 years ago

I ordered a complete set from planetary pinball supply. A little expensive with shipping and customs though...

https://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-F14-INSERTSET

#3808 4 years ago

WTB Anyone out there have any beacon domes they'd like to sell? Im looking for all 3 but ill take anything you've got. I'm aware marco sells them but i just don't want to pay $32 each for them!

beacondome (resized).jpgbeacondome (resized).jpg
#3809 4 years ago
Quoted from pinplayerinva:

WTB Anyone out there have any beacon domes they'd like to sell? Im looking for all 3 but ill take anything you've got. I'm aware marco sells them but i just don't want to pay $32 each for them![quoted image]

Following the answer on this, also interested. (even though mine also doesn’t have the lighting assembly)

#3810 4 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

I ordered a complete set from planetary pinball supply. A little expensive with shipping and customs though...
https://www.planetarypinball.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PPS-F14-INSERTSET

Great, thanks for the link. I ordered a set. Shipping to Canada wasn't too bad via regular mail, 13 bucks.

#3811 4 years ago
Quoted from pinplayerinva:

WTB Anyone out there have any beacon domes they'd like to sell? Im looking for all 3 but ill take anything you've got. I'm aware marco sells them but i just don't want to pay $32 each for them![quoted image]

PM sent.

#3812 4 years ago

Haven’t dug in too deep yet, need to order the manual, but anyone quick know what this is for? It’s blowing and for sure blows when I press start button

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3813 4 years ago

So that fuse is the purple wire that goes to the coils affected, and the top plug of the flipper power board. However all the flippers work just fine.

#3814 4 years ago

It may be the outhole coil that is blowing that fuse when it tries to put a ball in the shooter lane?

#3815 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

So that fuse is the purple wire that goes to the coils affected, and the top plug of the flipper power board. However all the flippers work just fine.

The fuse with the purple/yellow wire is for the 50 volt coils.

#3816 4 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Thank you for pointing me in the direction of the snubber board. It's almost certainly the culprit. When I removed it to check the solder joints, I found that it had been hacked pretty bad- one of the through hole pads was missing and it had a couple jumper wires connecting different sides of the relay. The relay itself had been replaced.
I just ordered a new board from pinballpcb.com. I'm hoping that does the trick.
I can't believe I didn't think of the beacons before as a possible connection. I played one game earlier where the ball got stuck in the VUK....I reached into the backbox, unplugged the beacon, and it fired instantly.

Just wanted to follow up on this in case anyone else ever has this particular issue. Again, my VUK wouldn't work specifically, and only, during multiball. It was the snubber board that was bad. I replaced it with one from Pinballpcb.com and the game is finally working 100%.

#3817 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

It may be the outhole coil that is blowing that fuse when it tries to put a ball in the shooter lane?

ahhh... I'll get more fuses. Is that fuse a 2.5amp? I think it is this fuse in the pic, in red. 2.5.

And I see that that ball shooter lane feeder coil could cause it. To test, should I just un-solder the coil or is there a better way to test that.

Quoted from GRUMPY:

The fuse with the purple/yellow wire is for the 50 volt coils.

Thanks! I was tracing wire all over last night and I'm glad you confirmed. I did read some of the pdf manual, but man I love the paper ones

Screen Shot 2019-06-14 at 1.50.17 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-06-14 at 1.50.17 PM (resized).png
#3818 4 years ago

HA! I just realized I should state the actual issue now that I messed with some stuff last night.

Currently. Power game up, attract mode and coin up works. I coin up, and press start, I hear some coils or things reset. I launch the ball and it just goes around the ramp to the 3rd spot and runs to that lower right lock...then another ball comes out into the shooter lane and does the same. So 2 balls in the lower right lock. Balls wont eject from lower right lock, middle two locks, upper right VUK, the upper left 2 ramp diverters or the kick back on the lower left.

#3819 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Is that fuse a 2.5amp

Yes, 2.5 slow blow.

#3820 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I launch the ball and it just goes around the ramp to the 3rd spot and runs to that lower right lock...then another ball comes out into the shooter lane and does the same. So 2 balls in the lower right lock.

Check the switch in the lower right ball lock.

#3821 4 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Check the switch in the lower right ball lock.

Yeah, all the switches seemed good. No continuity when open, I cleaned one, but all had continuity when closed. I will re-test again. If a switch was stuck though, wouldnt the coil fire and hold?

#3822 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Yeah, all the switches seemed good. No continuity when open, I cleaned one, but all had continuity when closed. I will re-test again. If a switch was stuck though, wouldnt the coil fire and hold?

Go into switch test mode. From there, press on the lower right lock switch to make sure it is registering. If it is, then go to solenoid test to make sure that solenoid is firing.

#3823 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Go into switch test mode. From there, press on the lower right lock switch to make sure it is registering. If it is, then go to solenoid test to make sure that solenoid is firing.

HA, I always forget old games have test modes. Thank you, I'll run switch tests.

#3824 4 years ago

This one might be an easy one to get help on.

It’s hard to get a picture of these, but the GI lighting under the playfield that goes up between the 1,2,3,4,5,6 targets, and the lower TOM CAT are out. Is that all controlled on one fuse? I have continuity. There were wires cut and stayed apart on the 1,2,3, so that side wasn’t working but the rest were. I tested touching the wire over and it did work before I soldered it. Now none of them work. Any thoughts?

I am also Still having issues where the ball drains, will kick it over to the switch, but the game doesn’t recognize the drain, and it happens exactly every other time a ball drains. So any help on this one would still be great!

DB184DA4-4152-4C97-99C8-CE256B17AF8F (resized).jpegDB184DA4-4152-4C97-99C8-CE256B17AF8F (resized).jpeg
#3825 4 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

This one might be an easy one to get help on.
It’s hard to get a picture of these, but the GI lighting under the playfield that goes up between the 1,2,3,4,5,6 targets, and the lower TOM CAT are out. Is that all controlled on one fuse? I have continuity. There were wires cut and stayed apart on the 1,2,3, so that side wasn’t working but the rest were. I tested touching the wire over and it did work before I soldered it. Now none of them work. Any thoughts?
I am also Still having issues where the ball drains, will kick it over to the switch, but the game doesn’t recognize the drain, and it happens exactly every other time a ball drains. So any help on this one would still be great![quoted image]

Solved, fuse didn’t look blown at all, but it was.
Solved the second issue too, cracked solder joint.

Last thing to solve is a weak pop bumper.

#3826 4 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Solved, fuse didn’t look blown at all, but it was.
Solved the second issue too, cracked solder joint.
Last thing to solve is a weak pop bumper.

Nice work. My pop bumper is less strong than any other game I have but I assume it is because of the tight confines it is in so as not to tear things apart with the ball. It should be a 23-800 which is used alot in this game and is less powerful than Walking Dead's 26-1200.

#3827 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Nice work. My pop bumper is less strong than any other game I have but I assume it is because of the tight confines it is in so as not to tear things apart with the ball. It should be a 23-800 which is used alot in this game and is less powerful than Walking Dead's 26-1200.

Ah, good to know. I thought it was there to bang the ball around the targets a bit more than it does. It’s not pushing the ball up to them that much.

3 weeks later
#3828 4 years ago

Anyone with a tape measure handy able to tell me how tall F14 is at the top of its beacons? I'm planning a basement and curious if it will fit under a soffit/bulkhead. Mine is disassembled and shrink-wrapped right now while I'm working on the space.

#3829 4 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Anyone with a tape measure handy able to tell me how tall F14 is at the top of its beacons? I'm planning a basement and curious if it will fit under a soffit/bulkhead. Mine is disassembled and shrink-wrapped right now while I'm working on the space.

82 inches will be comfortable.

IMG_20190709_183221755 (resized).jpgIMG_20190709_183221755 (resized).jpg
#3830 4 years ago

Thank you!

Edit: Wait a minute.... can we see that whole game? I've never seen one with a while backbox before!

#3831 4 years ago

I didn’t remember to do the switch tests. Ended up boxing up all the boards and shipping them out for repair. Pretty excited to get them back. I’ll be doing the rectifier board mod and reflowing solder on that other common issue board. Then the game “should” work!

#3832 4 years ago

Here it is. Along with my restoration thread. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/another-f-14

156275470794225957839 (resized).jpg156275470794225957839 (resized).jpg
#3833 4 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Thank you!
Edit: Wait a minute.... can we see that whole game? I've never seen one with a while backbox before!

*whispers* great white buffalo

#3834 4 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Ah, good to know. I thought it was there to bang the ball around the targets a bit more than it does. It’s not pushing the ball up to them that much.

You should be able to register TOM CAT targets from pop bumper bounces. Maybe replace sleeve and plunger in the coil?

#3835 4 years ago

Maybe this has already been addressed here someplace, but im having a strange problem with my left and right locks kicking a locked ball out while im still trying to release all three balls.

Switch test is only showing the trough switches. Even when I shake the machine around.

I seen a TNT video where Todd Tuckey suggested reflowing solder on all of the small relay boards to "eliminate odd elusive problems". I guess I'll start there and see if that yields any results.

Anyone experienced this one before?

1 week later
#3836 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me what the correct size is for the larger speaker (left side as you are facing the machine) in the backbox? Mine is completely torn and I really don't want to spend the $$$ on an upgrade kit. Is it a 5 1/4" speaker or a 6" speaker?

#3837 4 years ago

I received my remake play field from Germany today. It looks fantastic!!! I likely will not tackle the swap for a few years. Is there any expert advice on how to store this play field until then? Wrapped in paper or not? Laying flat under a bed or standing on its long side against a wall? Any thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

fullsizeoutput_1e4c (resized).jpegfullsizeoutput_1e4c (resized).jpegIMG_0876 (resized).JPGIMG_0876 (resized).JPG
#3838 4 years ago

SkaterVet you should post to the thread for the playfield. I know he said to let it cure for at least 30 days

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demand-check-f14-tom-cat/page/9#post-5095783

#3839 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

skatervet you should post to the thread for the playfield. I know he said to let it cure for at least 30 days
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/demand-check-f14-tom-cat/page/9#post-5095783

Ya, for sure cure and some say to rotate it every x days. Neo or kruz would be good guys to ask

#3840 4 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

skatervet you should post to the thread for the playfield. I know he said to let it cure for at least 30 days

Will do. Thanks.

2 weeks later
#3841 4 years ago

Hello all

New to the club and ready for takeoff

Did anyone here test if the paint on the F14 contains lead?

I am about to sand it down for a repaint.

#3842 4 years ago

I do believe it does! I used a paint stripper first, then sanded. If you don't do that, be sure to use a mask and shop vac to suck it up as you go.

#3843 4 years ago

Lead paint was outlawed in the US in 1977 or 1978. Tomcat was produced in 1987, so there should be no lead paint.

#3844 4 years ago

I ended up deciding on Comet sunlight for GI in the Tomcat. Still working on mylar removal at present. It is fully torn down on the topside otherwise. Then I have to reseat all the small triangular inserts. Every one of them is lifted up. Is there a resource for the few decals on the playfield, so I can print some out? The Jagov and Lock on are extremely faded on mine and the spinner is missing them completely. It is just black painted metal.

#3845 4 years ago

I spent a good 2 hours removing the glue on the upper PF area. Used magic eraser to clean up the non mylared areas and accidentally went a tad too rough and removed a little blue ink. Got the inserts as level as I could. Still a tiny bit proud of the PF, but they just wouldn't go down further so I'm guessing they were proud from the factory. I lost the A in the the TOMCAT inserts, also. Not bad for my first Sys 11 mylar removal. Now to tackle the lower PF. May the pinball gods be on my side.

#3846 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

the inserts as level as I could. Still a tiny bit proud of the PF, but they just wouldn't go down further

Curious, since I need to do the same - did you use heat from the bottom to loosen the glue and them tap them from the top or did you just tap them from the top?

#3847 4 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Curious, since I need to do the same - did you use heat from the bottom to loosen the glue and them tap them from the top or did you just tap them from the top?

Heated from the bottom, then super glue after tapping from the top. I bought a cheapie harbor freight heat gun. I actually put a small scorch mark on the bottom of the pf. Guess I held it too close. Used the lower setting after that mistake.

#3848 4 years ago

I was commissioned to a F-14 owner to design some custom target decals, so I thought I would make them available to the F-14 owners club.

For the design 20 targets, I used 3 different explosions and mirrored them for targets opposite each other. The two Migs with the reticles over them are for the two center white targets (these are period Migs to the pin's production and the reticle as based upon the ones used in Top Gun).

For construction, I print on a photo quality printer using OEM inks and ultragloss OEM photo paper. I then apply a clear gloss laminate on front, and use a thick clear 3M mounting tape on back. The thick mounting tape allows you to adhere right over the top of the target rivets and also provides some give upon impact. I've had a set I made in this way installed on my Getaway for nearly 3 years now, and they still look brand new. Once all of that is done, I use a 1" punch to cut out the circular targets.

The price is $40 (includes US shipping) for the full set. Please PM me if interested for purchasing details.

F-14 Targets.pngF-14 Targets.png
#3849 4 years ago

SOLD!
Parts - For Sale
Used, good condition - “F-14 Tomcat topper assembly Tested motor spins beacon move freely $125 shipped.”
2019-08-10
Morrisville, PA
Archived after: 11 days
Viewed: 86 times

topper main drive assembly listed in market place.

#3850 4 years ago

My boards are back! Excited to install and get this game rockin! Forgot to order the rectifier board but I’ll do that soon

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

There are 5,612 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 113.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/77?hl=phantasize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.