(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,596 posts
  • 469 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by pb456
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
20240415_204854.jpg
2024-04-1520.55.50581660535718955564.jpg
IMG_5273 (resized).jpeg
20240412_180621.jpg
IMG_6898 (resized).jpg
IMG_6899 (resized).jpg
F-14 red legs (resized).jpg
25 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
pinside.beb8aa6ea670a2343b9c15463e46ada2dea4ae8f.jpg
20240323_184048.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 112.
#3651 5 years ago

This gate. This freaking gate. Either the switch is gapped just enough to get closed by the super dinky leaf switch, or it’s contacts are just closed. It it’s gapped properly, it just sticks up like this the first time it’s touched. What’s the trick?

EBAD255C-60ED-4A04-841E-2F339C25811B (resized).jpegEBAD255C-60ED-4A04-841E-2F339C25811B (resized).jpeg
#3652 5 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

This gate. This freaking gate. Either the switch is gapped just enough to get closed by the super dinky leaf switch, or it’s contacts are just closed. It it’s gapped properly, it just sticks up like this the first time it’s touched. What’s the trick?
[quoted image]

Mine was doing this on the opposite side. And the trick was to bend the wire link to the switch. Mine is open now, but just bend the wire end back to the main drop from the gate.

WIN_20190131_06_15_33_Pro (resized).jpgWIN_20190131_06_15_33_Pro (resized).jpg
#3653 5 years ago

https://www.pinballlife.com/britecaps-evo-pop-bumper-lighting.html

Sorry - the last few days have been pretty busy and I've only gotten to check in once. Here's a pic of my machine with the brite cap installed. Lucky me, I turned it on and got just the GI because the capacitor on my board apparently isn't holding a charge anymore... Hello Adjustment failure - time to install the NVRAM finally.

20190131_131501 (resized).jpg20190131_131501 (resized).jpg20190131_131516 (resized).jpg20190131_131516 (resized).jpg
#3654 5 years ago

Has anyone here scanned the half dot section of the playfield to make a water slide decal? I'm doing a playfield restore and I don't have access to a scanner for two decals. If someone could make me some decals I will gladly pay you for them. Even if I could get the file of the scan I could get a hobby place to print it off for me.

Thank you,
Waderade812

#3655 5 years ago

This is the fuse for the beacons ?
My beacons were , all of sudden , having trouble rotating. The band was spinning but the beacons got tight. I could barely rotate them by hand. I took the beacons,off they activated in attack mode then lights and motor went dead..
I assume it was the fuse

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3656 5 years ago

I am guessing this isn’t the correct beacon rotating post either ..?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3657 5 years ago

What a beacon mess..
Does anyone have the circled parts ?
If so please let me know
Thanks

126530FE-4AED-45E0-B63F-2C7D7038AF64 (resized).jpeg126530FE-4AED-45E0-B63F-2C7D7038AF64 (resized).jpeg
#3658 5 years ago

You could just buy a new one.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1027-tilted-pinball/01127-reproduction-f14-beacon

Thanks, statictrance, I just ordered one along with a couple NVRAM battery replacement boards. F-14 already has one but I'd like to be completely battery-free some day!

#3659 5 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

I’m having some issues. Mine does one of these three things upon boot-up:
1. Loud beep and displays IRQ FAILURE.
2. Just plays garbage or random sounds.
3. Boots, but when playing it automatically locks the first two balls when launched, and the third ball is perpetually locked if I capture it.
Any ideas?

Wanted to follow up on my own post. Finally had time to mess with this a little. I noticed that the symptoms changed the longer the game was on, occasionally booting completely into a game.
This morning I checked 5v and found it at 2.9v. I pulled the PS board, reflowed the solder on almost the entire board, plugged it back in and boots up perfectly now.

The game is now playable except for one issue, which is quite frustrating to get to:
If you achieve multiball, it releases the 3 locked balls, but it will not kick the 4th ball up. It has to go into search mode and then it kicks it up (so the coil is working). It makes the call out for a successful landing, so I know the switch is working. But it won’t kick up the ball.

#3660 5 years ago

Here is a video of the issue I’m having in the last post. I can’t find any errors in the switch tests either, and I’ve tried plenty of combinations to mimic this problem.

#3661 5 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Here is a video of the issue I’m having in the last post. I can’t find any errors in the switch tests either, and I’ve tried plenty of combinations to mimic this problem.

After fighting this problem for wat too long, I finally fixed it tonight. I ran out of ideas for what could possibly be causing such a strange problem. I replaced both roms (U26, U27), and it is now working perfectly. The old Roms were original and even said “proto” on them since it’s an early game.

#3662 5 years ago

My beacon was having trouble rotating. It wasn’t the motor but mechanical with the beacons. As I was trying to figure out the issue, it was in attract mode , beacon on and trying to spin. Then the lights and motor lost power. Rest of the game functions normally
I assumed it was a fuse but after checking they are all good.
Would the relay be the next place to check?

#3663 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I assumed it was a fuse

You did check the single fuse holder next to the relay in the back box.

#3664 5 years ago

Yes. That was the first fuse I checked. Hoped it was that one

If the relay went bad would there be no power to motor and lights?

#3665 5 years ago

I took all the fuses out on the power supply. They tested fine and when I put them back... now the beacon power comes on. Don’t understand that..

#3666 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I took all the fuses out on the power supply. They tested fine and when I put them back... now the beacon power comes on. Don’t understand that..

Bad connection on the fuse clips / cold solder joint?

#3667 5 years ago

Does anyone collect the F-14 squadron patches from the US Air Force? Was thinking of making a frame of various patches to hang beside my F-14. Be interested to see some photos if you have them framed. Thanks.

#3668 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

Does anyone collect the F-14 squadron patches from the US Air Force? Was thinking of making a frame of various patches to hang beside my F-14. Be interested to see some photos if you have them framed. Thanks.

I believe the F-14 was used only by the Navy, but there should still be patches out there...

#3669 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Bad connection on the fuse clips / cold solder joint?

I guess I will see how long it functions..If goes out right away again I will check the fuse clips and solder joints
thanks

#3670 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballjah:

http://www.anft.net/f-14/f14-squadron.htm

#3671 5 years ago

Thanks very much. Will try to put a nice frame together with various patches.

#3672 5 years ago

Has anyone put a 23-850 on the pop bumper ? I rebuilt mine but it still seems so mellow..

#3673 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Has anyone put a 23-850 on the pop bumper ? I rebuilt mine but it still seems so mellow..

You wont be able to tell the difference. A pop by itself is always going to be mellow.

#3674 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You wont be able to tell the difference. A pop by itself is always going to be mellow.

Thanks. That saved me wasted time.

#3675 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Thanks. That saved me wasted time.

Add a high current driver, then change the pop power to 50 volts. That may wake it up a bit.

#3676 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Add a high current driver, then change the pop power to 50 volts. That may wake it up a bit.

It looks like the high current driver board is easy install. What’s is entailed in changing the pop power to 50?

#3677 5 years ago

Not hard at all. I recommend switching the power from the divertors to the pop. This also solves the blacken CPU sindrome. Most games came with 75 volts on the divertors ( purple/yellow) which is too high and 25 volts (red/white) on the pop which is too low. If you buy a high current driver board you will have a clean install but will have to make two IDC connectors to finish the install. This will cost @ 35.00 dollars. This can also be done with a TIP 36 and 220 ohm resistor for @ 7.00 dollars, just not as pretty.

#3678 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Not hard at all. I recommend switching the power from the divertors to the pop. This also solves the blacken CPU sindrome. Most games came with 75 volts on the divertors ( purple/yellow) which is too high and 25 volts (red/white) on the pop which is too low. If you buy a high current driver board you will have a clean install but will have to make two IDC connectors to finish the install. This will cost @ 35.00 dollars. This can also be done with a TIP 36 and 220 ohm resistor for @ 7.00 dollars, just not as pretty.

Is there a link you can post that would show the idc connectors? For knowing which wires to goto the correct spots..
I will double check, I think when I looked before my diverters had the lower voltage wires..
Thanks again

#3679 5 years ago

No links for this as I just do this for my own pins. But if people are interested I can do something with some pictures.

#3680 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

No links for this as I just do this for my own pins. But if people are interested I can do something with some pictures.

I ordered the boArd from a pinsider(eBay)..
When/if you get some time a couple photos would be great..?
I’d like to see that pop bumper have a little more umph..
Appreciate the help and suggestions

#3681 5 years ago

Can someone tell me which direction the diode on the plumb bob tilt goes? Is the banded side connected to the wire or the metal bracket of the plumb bob assembly? Mine only registers on my switch test when I short it at the wire(bypassing the diode), so I was curious if it’s on there backwards.

#3682 5 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Can someone tell me which direction the diode on the plumb bob tilt goes?

The white striped wire connects to the non banded side of the diode.

Can also be a bad diode to.

#3683 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The white striped wire connects to the non banded side of the diode.
Can also be a bad diode to.

Thanks! Somehow it’s on there backwards. I know it’s not bad because I just replaced it...unfortunately I replaced it in the same direction it already was. Might account for why I was getting phantom tilts occasionally, which is why I was checking it in the first place.

#3684 5 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Might account for why I was getting phantom tilts occasionally

This is more of a common problem then you know. SCR6 has been know for phantom tilting before.

#3685 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

When/if you get some time a couple photos would be great..?

You will need a 5 and a 6 pin .156 IDC connector and 2 key pins.

_High_Current_Driver_Board (resized).JPG_High_Current_Driver_Board (resized).JPG
#3686 5 years ago

That stuff I do have ..
Ty

#3687 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

That stuff I do have ..

Mount the board with J-2 facing the coil. Remove the wires and diode from the pop coil. Connect pins one and five of J-2 to the coil. Doesn't matter which way they go because the diode is on the driver board now. Connect the 75 volt purple/yellow wire to J-1 pin 5. Connect a ground wire to J-1 pin 1, this can be gotten from the ground of a near by snubber relay board or a ground from a resistor board. Lastly connect the blue/yellow that was connected to the pop coil to J-1 pin 4. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!!!

resistor board (resized).jpgresistor board (resized).jpgsnubber relay (resized).jpgsnubber relay (resized).jpg
#3688 5 years ago

Thank you. That does seem straight forward..one probably silly question. I will have to check, but if my diverter has already been connected with the red white wires, where should I get the purple wire from?

#3689 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

where should I get the purple wire from?

On either side of the pop coil is the left and right center eject coils, both of these should have a purple/yellow power wire on them. Just add on to one of these.

#3690 5 years ago

Does anyone make available the target decals in print shop for free? Thanks.

#3691 5 years ago

Are replacement playfields available for this game?

#3693 5 years ago

They did one run a couple years ago so if you look / ask around you may be able to find someone who has decided not to do the swap / sold the game / etc. willing to sell.

#3694 5 years ago

Xpin is running a batch of blue displays for early version F-14. Get in contact with them if you are interested. I believe he is also doing the mounting brackets for them.
[email protected] o m
He said he is loading blocks on friday and if interested to get in touch with him.

#3695 5 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Xpin is running a batch of blue displays for early version F-14. Get in contact with them if you are interested. I believe he is also doing the mounting brackets for them.
[email protected] o m
He said he is loading blocks on friday and if interested to get in touch with him.

Based on mine . I can vouch for how great it looks.

20190208_172737 (resized).jpg20190208_172737 (resized).jpg
#3696 5 years ago

Hello, everybody,

in the course of a troubleshooting I want to update the ROMs U26 and U27 on a F-14 Tomcat.
The reason is that the device is not playable after an extensive troubleshooting and a previous short circuit.
The assumption is obvious that the ROM bricks might have been damaged or are not compatible at all (unlikely).
The CPU was checked by our highly appreciated colleague "Flipperwerk" and tested without a doubt as flawless.
The status of the ROMs is "Proto" and clearly assigned with various stickers.
Is it sufficient in this case, if the ROM blocks U26 and U27 are burned to the current state L1, or is there more behind it, which must be adapted or changed?
So are the stones U4, U19, U21 and U22 identical in content?

regards
Averell

#3697 5 years ago

Question for the F-14 crew. I picked this game up a while back and am getting around to getting it back to 100%. I know it’s an early production game by the clear top beacon and white flasher row, but no X in the serial numbers. In the upper right corner of the playfield most machines I see a clear piece covering the ramp diverters. On mine, it has an F14 sticker, etc. Is this a mod or was this from the factory?

09D39A88-0482-4603-8A36-723D9710804B (resized).jpeg09D39A88-0482-4603-8A36-723D9710804B (resized).jpeg
#3698 5 years ago
Quoted from Dallas_Pin:

Question for the F-14 crew. I picked this game up a while back and am getting around to getting it back to 100%. I know it’s an early production game by the clear top beacon and white flasher row, but no X in the serial numbers. In the upper right corner of the playfield most machines I see a clear piece covering the ramp diverters. On mine, it has an F14 sticker, etc. Is this a mod or was this from the factory?
[quoted image]

Its an add on. dreg604 makes them.

#3699 5 years ago

Awesome; thank you

#3700 5 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is more of a common problem then you know. SCR6 has been know for phantom tilting before.

You’re probably right. I thought turning that diode around would work, but I got another phantom tilt last night. Time to replace SCR6.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

There are 5,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/74?hl=pinballjah and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.