(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,117 posts
  • 325 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 hour ago by C0untDeM0net
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,242 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

f-14 (resized).PNG
Williams_1987_F_14_Tomcat_PS.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_20200125_151942729 (resized).jpg
DSCN1658 (resized).JPG
DSCN1525 (resized).JPG
DSCN1576 (resized).JPG
DSCN1518 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20200120_185319_HDR (resized).jpg
20200120_185310 (resized).jpg
20200120_185038 (resized).jpg
20200120_185229 (resized).jpg
20200120_185630 (resized).jpg
20200110_193532 (resized).jpg
20190901_211820 (resized).jpg

There are 4117 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 83.
#302 5 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

Scored 15,812,690 tonight. Good enough for 2nd place on pinside's F-14 high scores it seems.
My 2nd time rolling over the display in my last dozen attempts. Normal outlanes, normal tilt, default settings with 3 balls. 4th high score on my machine is now at 9.1 million.
I think it's time to set this game up to tournament standards?
I should probably try to film my next high score game too, so that I have some undeniable proof.
Does nobody else here do bank shots off of the center standup targets?

Damn man. I can't even get close to that.

#303 5 years ago

Does anyone know the size of these post? I've got a couple broken ones.

1. Post that hold the rails near the pop bumper
2. Post near the left TOM targets.

post.jpg

TOM-post.jpg

#304 5 years ago

Just got my home built beacon assembled and tested! Here is my project thread. http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-beacon-reproduction

#305 5 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

Probably a ceramic resistor. 6 little boards(5 under the playfield, 1 behind the backglass GI) hold 4 ceramic resistors(2 small, 2 large) look for a missing large resistor that either fell off or a broken leg.

Hey sure enough. Missing a large ceramic resistor. My buddy had an extra one, soldered it in the board and sure enough the right flasher that wasn't working now is. Thanks for your help!

#306 5 years ago

I thought a few of you might be interested in this. My white beacon was pretty dirty. I guess all the years of smoke and florescent lighting took their toll on it. Like most of the white beacons out there mine was yellowed. So being the internet savvy guy I am I took a look on YouTube for a solution. I ended up finding "Salon Care 40" and decided to give this a try.

Here are the before and after photos. I think you can figure out which is the before and which is the after. This is after one treatment with Salon Care 40 and sitting in the bright sun for about 8 hours. I tried a second treatment, but I didn't find it helped any further. The difference was definitely noticeable, but less impressive than I had hoped. High expectations I guess.

sidebyside.png

Please ignore the Spider-man colouring book. It was the only white paper I could find for contrast.

#307 5 years ago

Looks good. You have some scratches on the top of your domes too?

I did the same thing this weekend, too. I used Hydrogen Peroxide and OxyClean, though. Cleaned up the other domes and polished the reflectors also Too bad I couldn't do much with the gouges on the top of the domes.

beacons.jpg
#308 5 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Looks good. You have some scratches on the top of your domes too?
I did the same thing this weekend, too. I used Hydrogen Peroxide and OxyClean, though. Cleaned up the other domes and polished the reflectors also Too bad I couldn't do much with the gouges on the top of the domes.

beacons.jpg 53 KB

Yep. I guess it's from people slamming the backbox up without checking the clearance.

Hydrogen Peroxide is usually rated around 3%. This Salon Care 40 stuff is about 12% hydrogen peroxide. If you want to try it it's about 9 bucks for a 32oz. bottle.

#309 5 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Scored 15,812,690 tonight

Dang, with every setting on EX Easy (but still 3 balls), the best I can do was 5,001,000 something.

#310 5 years ago

You guys would laugh at my high scores. I blame the jet bumper for not being sensitive enough for my liking.

#311 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

You guys would laugh at my high scores. I blame the jet bumper for not being sensitive enough for my liking.

Neither is mine, but the pop bumper doesn't have much to do with good scores imho. I've gotten pretty good at bank shots to yagov & the launch. When you can hit the launch from either flipper during multiball, high scores get easier.

#312 5 years ago

That was just my lame excuse for sucking.

#313 5 years ago

I thought I would come to you F14 guys to get some input. I know the inserts on F14 are notorious for raising and I have the same problem on BSD. How do you guys deal with inserts that have raised and chipped when there are no replacements? Do you sand their face's down until their are flat and put on new decals?

#314 5 years ago

On my F14 that already had the mylar removed (and then someone stupidly recoated with an oil based urethane that then yellowed that I had to scrape off), I was able to almost fully level each insert with just a blow drier set on medium, held up to the insert from the front for about 1 minute, then push with my thumb for about 5 seconds while the glue was still soft; rinse and repeat--multiple times.

I never got them perfect, but a LOT better than they were. Originally some edges were up almost the thickness of a dime above the playfield. I was able to get them to about a sheet of paper, perhaps 2 in spots, level in other. The rest of the playfield is not perfect so I didn't need to get the inserts perfect, just a lot better.

#315 5 years ago
Quoted from Pac-Fan:

On my F14 that already had the mylar removed (and then someone stupidly recoated with an oil based urethane that then yellowed that I had to scrape off), I was able to almost fully level each insert with just a blow drier set on medium, held up to the insert from the front for about 1 minute, then push with my thumb for about 5 seconds while the glue was still soft; rinse and repeat--multiple times.
I never got them perfect, but a LOT better than they were. Originally some edges were up almost the thickness of a dime above the playfield. I was able to get them to about a sheet of paper, perhaps 2 in spots, level in other. The rest of the playfield is not perfect so I didn't need to get the inserts perfect, just a lot better.

how do you deal with them being chipped though? I am tempted to just fill in the chips with acrylic but I know it isn't going to look right, it is just going to be smoother. I don't know what a good fix is. From what I have seen online, people tell you not to take out inserts if there are no replacements because if they crack while you are taking them out, you are SOL.

#316 5 years ago

Does anyone know how many blue star posts are on an F-14 PF? I'm placing an order through pinballlife and I figure I'll order the posts at the same time (to justify shipping costs to Canada).

Has anyone done a full audit of the star posts on F-14?

How many blue?
How many red mini posts?
How many narrow posts?
Blah, blah, blah… ?

#317 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Does anyone know how many blue star posts are on an F-14 PF? I'm placing an order through pinballlife and I figure I'll order the posts at the same time (to justify shipping costs to Canada).
Has anyone done a full audit of the star posts on F-14?
How many blue?
How many red mini posts?
How many narrow posts?
Blah, blah, blah… ?</blockquote

I just replaced mine. There are a total of eight blue star posts. Three each for the kickers one on the right side and one on the ramp at the top. While they are pretty much hidden I had several that were cracked and all of them were faded.

Al

#318 5 years ago

I was able to find my specific post part number from this Instruction Manual, (page 46 for playfield posts)

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/804/Williams_1987_F_14_Tomcat_Full_Manual.pdf

#319 5 years ago

Thanks to you both!

Quoted from StrangelovePhD:

I thought I would come to you F14 guys to get some input. I know the inserts on F14 are notorious for raising and I have the same problem on BSD. How do you guys deal with inserts that have raised and chipped when there are no replacements? Do you sand their face's down until their are flat and put on new decals?

I saw a thread a few weeks ago about a guy that flattened them using a heatgun, and some pieces of metal with a clamp. The idea was to remove the insert, place it inbetween the metal and then heat the metal with the heatgun while tightening up the clamp. I wish I could find that damn thread. The results were quite good.

I'm thinking it was a high speed restoration, but I can't find it!

#320 5 years ago

[EDIT] Double post.

Post edited by FiftyQuid: double post

#321 5 years ago

Finally got around to filming a decent round. 98% of my points came on ball one. Skip to 4:30 if you want to see the meat of the game. I want to check the pitch of my pin as I know it could/should be faster, but left my digital level at a friends house when I delivered a game to him recently. Pretty sure my F-14 has at least a 6 degree pitch but I want to take it to 7. (Will elevate the pitch when I get my level back.) Also have a couple of switches that need tweaking. Anyway, here's my gameplay for what it's worth.

#322 5 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Honestly the from post on your TOM plastic would be better upgraded to a regular star post then you can take the current front post and use it to replace the broken one.
other than that I believe its a through hole post 10-24 with 6-32 top inside threads Marco used to have them.

#323 5 years ago

Put leds in the backbox last night.

f14ledbackglass.jpg
#324 5 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Put leds in the backbox last night.

That looks really good! Can you post a picture without the translite so we can see what you put where?

thanks!

#325 5 years ago

Thanks. Sure, I'll snap a pic when I get home later.

I used a combination of Cointaker's super brights and frosted.

#326 5 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

That looks really good! Can you post a picture without the translite so we can see what you put where?
thanks!

+ 1

#327 5 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

Finally got around to filming a decent round. 98% of my points came on ball one. Skip to 4:30 if you want to see the meat of the game. I want to check the pitch of my pin as I know it could/should be faster, but left my digital level at a friends house when I delivered a game to him recently. Pretty sure my F-14 has at least a 6 degree pitch but I want to take it to 7. (Will elevate the pitch when I get my level back.) Also have a couple of switches that need tweaking. Anyway, here's my gameplay for what it's worth.
» YouTube video

I'm not able to bank the ball into the launch with the right flipper like you can in this video. I'm aiming at the same spot, but the white rescue target on my machine sticks out further. So I either clip the right side of the rescue target or just slide past it but the angle is then wrong. I didn't realise the target was so out of place. It looks fine, but maybe it needs to be pushed towards the middle a bit?

#328 5 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

an you post a picture without the translite so we can see what you put where?

thanks!

Here is a pic without translite...

ledbackglass.jpg
#329 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I'm not able to bank the ball into the launch with the right flipper like you can in this video. I'm aiming at the same spot, but the white rescue target on my machine sticks out further. So I either clip the right side of the rescue target or just slide past it but the angle is then wrong. I didn't realise the target was so out of place. It looks fine, but maybe it needs to be pushed towards the middle a bit?

You got me to thinking. From the top of the playfield, the length of that slot made me wonder if these two targets were adjustable inwards or outwards. I lifted the pf & took this photo from underneath. Looks like only one way to mount these without physically drilling more holes?
Remove & check the condition of your targets. I had some damaged ones on a High Speed that leaned to one side until I replaced them.

100_3216.JPG
#330 5 years ago

When a target is leaning one way or the other or just mildly out of line it is usually because one of the two rivets on the underside that holds it vertical, have popped out.

When that happens you get this...

IMG_20130327_134705_874.jpg

#331 5 years ago

Thanks for the pics guys. My right target isn't that far over. It seems both of mine are bent slightly over to the right. I'll have to take a closer look. It's a little to dark in the room to check under the PF.

#332 5 years ago

Your cover definitely looks whiter than mine. I didn't read up on the Salon Care 40 stuff and used regular hydrogen peroxide. Made a thread awhile back.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/took-some-yellow-out-of-my-f-14-clear-beacon

Quoted from Fifty:

I thought a few of you might be interested in this. My white beacon was pretty dirty. I guess all the years of smoke and florescent lighting took their toll on it. Like most of the white beacons out there mine was yellowed. So being the internet savvy guy I am I took a look on YouTube for a solution. I ended up finding "Salon Care 40" and decided to give this a try.
Here are the before and after photos. I think you can figure out which is the before and which is the after. This is after one treatment with Salon Care 40 and sitting in the bright sun for about 8 hours. I tried a second treatment, but I didn't find it helped any further. The difference was definitely noticeable, but less impressive than I had hoped. High expectations I guess.

Please ignore the Spider-Man colouring book. It was the only white paper I could find for contrast.

sidebyside.png 518 KB

#333 5 years ago
Quoted from Geocab:

Your cover definitely looks whiter than mine. I didn't read up on the Salon Care 40 stuff and used regular hydrogen peroxide. Made a thread awhile back.
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/took-some-yellow-out-of-my-f-14-clear-beacon

I was into the retrogaming (still am) scene. The same stuff is used to get old Nintendo's and Famicom's back to their original white.

#334 5 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

When a target is leaning one way or the other or just mildly out of line it is usually because one of the two rivets on the underside that holds it vertical, have popped out.

On my former High Speed, no rivets were missing. The plastic target had a crack/split in it below the playfield because of so much abuse. Glue didn't help so I just bought a new target assembly.

#336 5 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

» YouTube video

SPeD66 are you hitting the no. 5 target here to bank the Launch shot? I am by no means a pinball wizard, but I'd like to consider myself above novice. I repeatedly attempted this shot tonight. Out of 30 attempts I made it up the Launch once.

I think I'm hitting the ricochet area you are, but when the ball bounces off the no. 5 target and heads over to the Launch ramp it just hits the far right side wall and then bounces off the back of the upper right flipper. The one shot where the ball made it all the way didn't have any of the velocity that your shots having off the bounce. Mine just trickled up the Launch and barely landed in the up kicker. Any tips for a above novice player? Please don't say practise. I just want to make this shot.

#337 5 years ago

I'm no pinball wizard either. I'm just getting pretty good at playing the titles I actually own.

Quoted from Fifty:

I think I'm hitting the ricochet area you are, but when the ball bounces off the no. 5 target and heads over to the Launch ramp it just hits the far right side wall and then bounces off the back of the upper right flipper.

Every machine is a little different. Try aiming lower/higher than the #5 target & see what works for you. When you succeed, take note of where the sweet spot is for your game. Also, I can just nick the edge of the right-center target & have the ball make it to the launch. Very satisfying shot when I relight the kickback & land in the launch all in one motion. And don't forget, you should be able to do bank shots for Yagov kills as well. Quick way to earn an extra ball.

Some other things to consider, which you can ignore if already addressed. Make sure your game is level! Have you waxed the playfield lately? Are your targets in good shape with good foam behind each? It sort of sounds like your targets might be absorbing too much of the balls energy & slowing the ball down.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=410
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=313

#338 5 years ago

Ah... yes. Target foam. I had forgotten all about that. My foam is practically non-existent. Glad you mentioned it because I was racking my brain out and getting frustrated.

Thank you for the link(s), but I've actually already ordered some replacement foam. My order from Pinball Life should be arriving this week.

Once I have the foam installed I'll report back.

#339 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Ah... yes. Target foam. I had forgotten all about that. My foam is practically non-existent. Glad you mentioned it because I was racking my brain out and getting frustrated.
Thank you for the link(s), but I've actually already ordered some replacement foam. My order from Pinball Life should be arriving this week.
Once I have the foam installed I'll report back.

They sell basicly the same foam a Home Depot by the roll

#340 5 years ago
Quoted from 0geist0:

They sell basicly the same foam a Home Depot by the roll

Home Depot up here in Canada is limited. I've lucked out a few times, but many times I strike out.

I needed to order some stuff from Pinball Life so I added the foam when I did. I'm paying $40 for shipping so I wanted to get as much into the box as I could.

#341 5 years ago

If I went to Home Depot, does it matter the thickness and density of the foam?

#342 5 years ago

Does anyone have any cool jet bumper mods? I've seen the multi-led bumper mod, but I was wondering if there were any other ideas out there. I like the old 70's style pins that had the stars on the bumper caps. Like this;

Flicker_Cap_Set.jpg

I was thinking of having a decal made up for it. Maybe a hammer and sicle or the Mig star;

630px-URSS-Russian_aviation_red_star.svg.png

#343 5 years ago

Hello guys its looks like I will joining the club picking up an F-14 this weekend

#344 5 years ago

I have always eyeballed F14 but have never played one - other than half working at auctions.
Looking forward to 2:30pm today when I can join this club.

#345 5 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Found an answer for my own question: The post that holds both rails:

Part number 02-4036-1

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4036-1

#346 5 years ago

So is it normal for the sound to be scratchy?
I am so used to the new stern sound and my machine sounds muffled.

#347 5 years ago

Sound shouldnt be muffled and scratchy, check rom sockets and pins for corrosion and wear, also might need to recap the sound section as well on the MPU and sound board.

#348 5 years ago

Is there a good vid with correct sound on youtube? cant seem to find one

#349 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Is there a good vid with correct sound on youtube? cant seem to find one

This is a pretty good example:

#350 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

I have always eyeballed F14 but have never played one - other than half working at auctions.
Looking forward to 2:30pm today when I can join this club.

When it's dialed in and fully working it's great (except when it kicks your butt hard)

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
There are 4117 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 83.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside