(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,596 posts
  • 469 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 28 hours ago by pb456
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
20240415_204854.jpg
2024-04-1520.55.50581660535718955564.jpg
IMG_5273 (resized).jpeg
20240412_180621.jpg
IMG_6898 (resized).jpg
IMG_6899 (resized).jpg
F-14 red legs (resized).jpg
25 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
pinside.beb8aa6ea670a2343b9c15463e46ada2dea4ae8f.jpg
20240323_184048.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 112.
#3251 6 years ago

There are some fixes that can be done to insure this doesn't happen again.

#3252 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

That makes a lot of sense. My buddy who owns the game said it was working great, had his grandkids over and all of sudden the game wasn't working.

Why I didn't pro create..

#3253 6 years ago

Hey Grumpy, any way to modify the pin to prevent this from happening ? Been lucky so far but would rather not play with fate.

#3254 6 years ago

I am thinking I will need this to. I have a rottendog board though, so did they fix this issue?

#3255 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

There are some fixes that can be done to insure this doesn't happen again.

I would appreciate to know what these fixes are. I am also think he might have one or more bad coils.

#3256 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Hey Grumpy, any way to modify the pin to prevent this from happening ?

Yes, Q-77 and Q-79 on the CPU board can be replaced with a TIP 102 transistor as they are 60% stronger then the factory TIP122. You can remove the ramp and diverters, disassemble it, clean and lubricate all moving parts and replace both coil sleeves. Adjust it according to the Williams service bulletin. http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/804/Williams_1987_F_14_Tomcat_Service_Bulletin_no_number_undated_to_resolve_binding_diverter_gate_assembly.pdf

You can install a inline fuse for each of the diverter coils on the power wire, 1 amp slow blow fuse. You can add snubber relays for the coils to remove all the stress from the transistor and place it on the relay. You can add a high current driver (TIP 36c) for each coil, this is a higher wattage transistor to take the place of the snubber relay. And the last thing you can do is to remove the high voltage (75 volts) from the two coils and wire them with low voltage (32 volts) from the pop bumper coil.

You only need to do one of the last three items, After this it will never melt down again.

#3257 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I am also think he might have one or more bad coils.

Your friends pin will need at least.....

2 diverter coils (AL-26-1500-02)
2 coil diodes (1n4007)
2 driver transistors (TIP 102)
2 predriver transistors (2n4401)
2 zener diodes (1n4735a)
1 2.5 slow blow fuse
2 1 amp slow blow fuses
2 fuse holders
After all these items are replaced then it will need to be tested to be sure nothing else is smoked.

#3258 6 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I have a rottendog board though, so did they fix this issue?

RD boards use mosfets (25 amp max) for drivers instead of TIP122 (5 amp max) transistors to control coils. So this means that the CPU problem is fixed, but now you have the capacity to really cook that coil until the 2.5 amp fuse burns. So I would still put a 1 amp slow blow fuse on each of the diverter coils, then you will not even ruin the coil. Pictured is a fuse holder that crimps on to the power wire just like any butt connector, since there is not a lot of room under the hood of F-14 these are easy to install (2 minutes) on the wire.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#3259 6 years ago

Will deff check those out. You got a link for them?

#3260 6 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Will deff check those out. You got a link for them?

ebay.com link: i

#3261 6 years ago

Wow thanks for the insight GRUMPY much appreciated!

#3262 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It is a poor design....

I'm headed over to check out mine that's having what sounds like a similar issue - let my old nieghbor borrow it while getting my new house all settled in. They have two kids, one around eight that's pretty hyper... Multiple short plunges seem highly possible and this will be something I look at right away.

Thanks for explaining - I really feel like I've learned something valuable to tuck away for a rainy day

#3263 6 years ago

So I would still put a 1 amp slow blow fuse on each of the diverter coils, then you will not even ruin the coil.

I have a Rottendog Board so I shall do this!
Thanks again GRUMPY.

#3265 6 years ago

I'm back up and mostly running I'm still missing the lower half of the back box lights (entire string)but the flasher is no longer locked on.no tips on the back box lights yet,i want to do a little fiddling around and see if I can figure it out on my own.

#3266 6 years ago

Look what came in the mail today! Many thanks to SUPERBEE. I wanted to buy it but he said no, then I offered to pay the shipping and then just silence. Then he says it's in the mail This must be why they call him SUPERBEE because he's a SUPER hell of a nice guy.
Thanks again, now PLAY BALL!

1523584622161207187084 (resized).jpg1523584622161207187084 (resized).jpg

#3267 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Look what came in the mail today! Many thanks to SUPERBEE. I wanted to buy it but he said no, then I offered to pay the shipping and then just silence. Then he says it's in the mail This must be why they call him SUPERBEE because he's a SUPER hell of a nice guy.
Thanks again, now PLAY BALL!

My pleasure Grumpy. The least i could do considering all the help you have provided me and so many others countless times here. I know its not perfect but hopefully better than the one you had.

#3268 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Your friends pin will need at least.....
2 diverter coils (AL-26-1500-02)
2 coil diodes (1n4007)
2 zener diodes (1n4735a)
1 2.5 slow blow fuse
2 1 amp slow blow fuses
2 fuse holders
After all these items are replaced then it will need to be tested to be sure nothing else is smoked.

I will get on top of this, thanks so much for the help!

#3269 6 years ago

If I am purchasing a replacement board I can skip purchasing these right?2
coil diodes (1n4007)
2 zener diodes (1n4735a)

#3270 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

If I am purchasing a replacement board I can skip purchasing these right?2
coil diodes (1n4007)
2 zener diodes (1n4735a)

You can skip all but the two diodes as these go on the new coils, sometimes when you buy a new coil it comes with a diode and sometimes not.

#3271 6 years ago

Thanks Grumpy.

#3272 6 years ago

Hey everyone lot of good info being handed out on this thread . Would anyone like to help me out on a issue . So My F-14 in test mode coils all fire like they should when I go into switch test the pop bumper fires the left sling and vice versa Right sling does nothing . Hope its something simple or at least with yall help I wont be going in circles . Thanks

#3273 6 years ago

This game is new to me just got a couple weeks ago been a work in progress bought as a project

#3274 6 years ago

Start with the simple things first. Did you check under the playfield for any broken wires or possibly something touching near the sling posiibly grounding out the circuit ? Do you have power at the coil ?

#3275 6 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

been a work in progress bought as a project

Take a pic of connector 1J18 so I can see the wire colors on this connector.

#3276 6 years ago

Been putting in some hours on F14. Here is a video of a game with a new Cointaker premium LED kit. I used the non-ghosting for the inserts and the frosted cool bulbs for the GI. Flashers are still incandescent. The game has a repro playfield and repro plastics. I will be working on a coin door rebuild next.

#3277 6 years ago

Very nice gearhead !

#3278 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Take a pic of connector 1J18 so I can see the wire colors on this connector.

Now you have the real deal helping you . He will get you back up and running for sure.

#3279 6 years ago

I'm going to be back home and in the game room real soon. Pictures soon

I have been under the hood quite a bit and can't
find anything broken or shorting out !

#3280 6 years ago

After I found the pin 1j18 notice that somebody had plugged it in 1pen off so I move the plug down one pin everything works great thanks so much

#3281 6 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

After I found the pin 1j18 notice that somebody had plugged it in 1pen off so I move the plug down one pin everything works great thanks so much

Easy peasy lemon squeezey.

#3282 6 years ago

Yep u the man.

#3283 6 years ago

Nice gearhead!

#3284 6 years ago
Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Been putting in some hours on F14. Here is a video of a game with a new Cointaker premium LED kit. I used the non-ghosting for the inserts and the frosted cool bulbs for the GI. Flashers are still incandescent. The game has a repro playfield and repro plastics. I will be working on a coin door rebuild next.
» YouTube video

Looks great!

#3285 6 years ago
Quoted from trimoto:

Yup, Grumpy will quickly help you find your way nine times out of ten. (said 9 of 10 cause i dont want Grump to get an inflated ego ! )

#3286 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Yup, Grumpy will quickly help you find your way nine times out of ten. (said 9 of 10 cause i dont want Grump to get an inflated ego ! )

#3287 6 years ago

Hail to the King!!

a58615679ca1ca4e1fbac719610725954aafdd50 (resized).pnga58615679ca1ca4e1fbac719610725954aafdd50 (resized).png

#3290 6 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Hail to the King!!

I wish I had that much hair on my head!

#3291 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Yes, Q-77 and Q-79 on the CPU board can be replaced with a TIP 102 transistor as they are 60% stronger then the factory TIP122. You can remove the ramp and diverters, disassemble it, clean and lubricate all moving parts and replace both coil sleeves. Adjust it according to the Williams service bulletin. http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/804/Williams_1987_F_14_Tomcat_Service_Bulletin_no_number_undated_to_resolve_binding_diverter_gate_assembly.pdf
You can install a inline fuse for each of the diverter coils on the power wire, 1 amp slow blow fuse. You can add snubber relays for the coils to remove all the stress from the transistor and place it on the relay. You can add a high current driver (TIP 36c) for each coil, this is a higher wattage transistor to take the place of the snubber relay. And the last thing you can do is to remove the high voltage (75 volts) from the two coils and wire them with low voltage (32 volts) from the pop bumper coil.
You only need to do one of the last three items, After this it will never melt down again.

In this post Grumpy says to replace both coil sleeves. I am looking at the manual and it doesn't list coil sleeves under the Launch ramp diverter assembly on page 44?

#3292 6 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

In this post Grumpy says to replace both coil sleeves.

These are standard length coil sleeves.

https://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=89

#3293 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I wish I had that much hair on my head!

Oh god me too !! lol

#3294 6 years ago

Just joined the f14 club. I got one for 500 bucks. It's on pretty good shape. Everything seems to be working on it. But I have one issue that I can seem to figure out. The right sling isn't working. I have checked the wires. Replaced the coil as the other one was melted. I have pulled the board looking for fried transitors and tips. I don't see anything wrong or nothing obvious. And help would be amazing.

#3295 6 years ago

Hmmm, melted coil. I'd backtrack from there. Which board part, diode, wire goes with it?

Also, did you run the test diagnostic?

#3296 6 years ago

I burned out the pop-up bumper coil in F-14. I replaced the 23-800-03 coil and adjusted the switch so that it won't happen again. But it looks like the coil is no longer getting power. I looked under the playfield I didn't see any blown fuses. Does anybody know what specific fuse powers this? I have schematics and can go to those if no one is sure. Thanks!

15243519151002081930148 (resized).jpg15243519151002081930148 (resized).jpg

#3297 6 years ago

Figured mine out. Reflowed all of the pins and repeated the u 55 and u56 chips. Seems to work now. Now to figure out why I don't have any switches working in colum 7.

#3298 6 years ago
Quoted from Jon9508:

Figured mine out. Reflowed all of the pins and repeated the u 55 and u56 chips. Seems to work now. Now to figure out why I don't have any switches working in colum 7.

My first step would be to figure out if it's the MPU or the playfield by testing the MPU without the playfield attached: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Switch_Matrix_Row_and_Column_Testing

#3299 6 years ago
Quoted from ajfclark:

My first step would be to figure out if it's the MPU or the playfield by testing the MPU without the playfield attached: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Switch_Matrix_Row_and_Column_Testing

Thanks. That helped out a lot. I was on the mpu board. Ending up being q42. Luckily I had a few laying around.

#3300 6 years ago
Quoted from SerendipitySail:

But it looks like the coil is no longer getting power.

With the P/F up there is a fuse in the lower right side. 2.5 sb fuse.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
There are 5,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 66 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/66?hl=ajfclark and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.