(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,106 posts
  • 325 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 hours ago by BertoDRINK1
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,235 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20200120_185319_HDR (resized).jpg
20200120_185310 (resized).jpg
20200120_185038 (resized).jpg
20200120_185229 (resized).jpg
20200120_185630 (resized).jpg
20200110_193532 (resized).jpg
20190901_211820 (resized).jpg
1EA22D7A-15F5-48A8-9CB3-5A0267C24B13 (resized).jpeg
81714E56-1F69-4BDF-956C-A29D4F0B0C18 (resized).jpeg
C46D21B3-C043-48BA-8411-40ED33A6193B (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.20.15 PM (resized).png
0A1FAC8F-F8B7-4022-A2F9-427D30D0E3B0 (resized).jpeg
20191026_193510 (resized).jpg
20191025_220604 (resized).jpg

There are 4106 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 83.
#251 5 years ago

graystarsfan1:

This works, and is very affordable, don't know the actual scale, but the plane measurements are included, anything around that size is good....

amazon.com link »

#252 5 years ago

1/144 scale is just about perfect for this.

#253 5 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll check for those.

#254 5 years ago

Here's mine. Great details on these. ebay.com link » Maisto Tailwinds Grumman F 14 Tomcat

65399-i.jpg
65402-i.jpg

#255 5 years ago

My pop-bumper has stopped working. The coil works, I think it's just not sensitive. Is there a quick way to fix, or do I need to completly take apart?

#256 5 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

My pop-bumper has stopped working. The coil works, I think it's just not sensitive. Is there a quick way to fix, or do I need to completly take apart?

No, you don't have to completely take it apart, but if the mechs are really dirty it will help.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers

#257 5 years ago

Topgun according to Tarantino:

#258 5 years ago

I, unfortunately, exited the club last week. It became an issue of space. I look forward to the next F-14 I pick up in my pinball journey.

YOU CAN'T WIN!!!!

#259 5 years ago

I have a chance to pick up a F-14 what are they worth ?

#261 5 years ago

Condition, condition, condition.

Middling = $1100
Good = $1400
Nice = $1500-$1700
HUO = $2K and up

ballpark

#262 5 years ago

The other day I got all my GI lights changed to LED, wow does it pop. Also, changed all the flashers on the back since a couple were out. But since its such a tough job to do, made sure to change them all. Took ramps all off to get all the GI changed out. One flasher is still out on the right side so we have to figure out why its still not working. Fun fun fun.

F14-1-47.jpg

F14-2-581.jpg

#263 5 years ago

And here is my buddy playing the machine after we made all the above changes! Love this game!

#264 5 years ago

Hey, did that "crazy" guy doing the flying planes mod ever finish yet?? Here's one for you - smoke machine activates when you hit the Yagov kicker!!! Ka-Boom...!!

#265 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Hey, did that "crazy" guy doing the flying planes mod ever finish yet??

Yes, I finished the moving plane mod. Three more to go. The shaker motors are almost done, then new sounds, and another moving toy surprise.

#266 5 years ago
Quoted from graystarsfan1:

One flasher is still out on the right side so we have to figure out why its still not working.

Probably a ceramic resistor. 6 little boards(5 under the playfield, 1 behind the backglass GI) hold 4 ceramic resistors(2 small, 2 large) look for a missing large resistor that either fell off or a broken leg.

#267 5 years ago

That's really cool how did you make the plane move

#268 5 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

Probably a ceramic resistor. 6 little boards(5 under the playfield, 1 behind the backglass GI) hold 4 ceramic resistors(2 small, 2 large) look for a missing large resistor that either fell off or a broken leg.

Thanks. I'll look for this. I'll let you know what I find!

#269 5 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

Yes, I finished the moving plane mod. Three more to go. The shaker motors are almost done, then new sounds, and another moving toy surprise.

Excellent!!! Love it. Looks like you have a little piston pushing the plane along the wireform.......excellent idea!!!

#270 5 years ago

I joined the club! My 1st pin!

There are a few things I want to work on right away;

1) Display issue. One of the numeric displays broke during transport.
2) There are a few places where screws are missing or seem out of place that I'd like to replace.
3) White beacon is yellow aged. Anyone try Retrobrite on these before?
4) Pop bumper isn't very sensitive so I'd like to investigate it.

I can't wait to start tinkering on this game!

F-14.jpg
#271 5 years ago

New CPR plastics are coming end of summer again, if this hasn't been covered here already.

#272 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I joined the club! My 1st pin!
There are a few things I want to work on right away;
1) Display issue. One of the numeric displays broke during transport.
2) There are a few places where screws are missing or seem out of place that I'd like to replace.
3) White beacon is yellow aged. Anyone try Retrobrite on these before?
4) Pop bumper isn't very sensitive so I'd like to investigate it.
I can't wait to start tinkering on this game!

Welcome! Sounds like you have a great start to begin working away! I also need to adjust my pop bumper. Enjoy!

#273 5 years ago

I'm getting ready to do a high end restore on 2 of these. Has anyone located new playfield inserts? Not decals but the large wedge shaped blue and red inserts. I know Illinois Pinball had these awhile back. I've emailed them but do not expect to hear back.

#274 5 years ago

Bundy, there was a discussion that the WOZ pin uses the same chevron plastics, don't know if that helps at all.......

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

New CPR plastics are coming end of summer again, if this hasn't been covered here already.

Cool, thanks for the heads up

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Bundy, there was a discussion that the WOZ pin uses the same chevron plastics, don't know if that helps at all.......

Thanks still catching up a bit. I'd rather use the right colors than a white insert. I found red at pinball factory but not blue.

#277 5 years ago

Hi guys, hoping you can help me out. I wasn't sure where to put this so I'm just adding it into the club area. I'm still a rookie in the forums and I find it a bit hard finding my way still.

I've been going over my F-14. Things look good, but there are a few tiny bits I'd like to fix before my OCD overtakes me. I need some hardware. I wasn't sure how to measure these without one of those caliper micrometer gauges. I need to know the sizes for the following as they are missing on my pin;

missingscrews.png

#278 5 years ago
Quoted from eabundy:

Thanks still catching up a bit. I'd rather use the right colors than a white insert. I found red at pinball factory but not blue.

There are bound to be some available once the repro playfields are done, which is soon I hope.

#279 5 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

Thanks for the heads up.

Quoted from Fifty:

Hi guys, hoping you can help me out. I wasn't sure where to put this so I'm just adding it into the club area. I'm still a rookie in the forums and I find it a bit hard finding my way still.
I've been going over my F-14. Things look good, but there are a few tiny bits I'd like to fix before my OCD overtakes me. I need some hardware. I wasn't sure how to measure these without one of those caliper micrometer gauges. I need to know the sizes for the following as they are missing on my pin;

missingscrews.png 535 KB

Someone else may want to verify, but the screw on the shooter lane should be a #6 screw, the one on the pop bumper IIRC is a #4 screw and the post thread on the sling shot should be a #6 - 32 machine screw/nut. You should be able to pick up a screw size gauge at Lowes or other home improvement store (or just take a sample in and use theirs).

#280 5 years ago

Thanks LongJohns. Any idea what the length of the #6 screw is on the shooter lane? I can't use a screw size gauge as I don't have another screw for comparison in this area. It looks like a torx screw. Is it?

For the jet bumper, I can get the length from the remaining screw and look at the #4's.

The slingshot needs the nylon acorn nut. #6-32 you say? Thanks. I'll hit Home Depot tonight and see what they have.

================================================================

One last question for everyone in this thread; Are the PF plastics supposed to move? For example, the plastics covering my slingshots move. Not a lot, but I didn't expect them to move at all. What is the norm?

#281 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

One last question for everyone in this thread; Are the PF plastics supposed to move? For example, the plastics covering my slingshots move. Not a lot, but I didn't expect them to move at all. What is the norm?

They should be snug but shouldnt move. You dont want them overly tight though as you want a little give in case of ball contact.

#282 5 years ago

Another update. Another toy

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

They should be snug but shouldnt move. You dont want them overly tight though as you want a little give in case of ball contact.

That's what I thought. Mind are overly loose. I'll be tightening them up.

Quoted from Industen:

Another update. Another toy
ยป YouTube video

Kewl! What did you use to make it spin?

#284 5 years ago

New to the club and to the pinball side of the hobby. Just got a project game from Diz (great guy!) this past weekend. There are some really great looking games in this thread and these pictures really give me something to strive for.

Here is what I'm starting with. Solid game overall, but non-working. My plan is to get a nice, clean, working, player's game. I've already dove right in and am very excited to be learning the ropes with the pins.

Thanks for posting all these great pics and ideas.

DSC03439.jpg DSC03443.jpg DSC03479-483.jpg DSC03465.JPG
#285 5 years ago

Is there every any problems with light from the beacons shining on the back glass? In the process of reproducing the entire beacon mechanism and was wondering if it was worth my time to completely cover the beacon holes in the top of the backbox with the mount base? F-14 Beacon CAD.jpg

#286 5 years ago
Quoted from Ghoen:

Is there every any problems with light from the beacons shining on the back glass? In the process of reproducing the entire beacon mechanism and was wondering if it was worth my time to completely cover the beacon holes in the top of the backbox with the mount base?

Yes, the light does shine down on the translite. I haven't bothered to put anything to block it though.

Do you want me to take a pic of what it looks like? (I can try, im a terrible photographer normally, but throw darkness in, and I might as well be drawing a pic of it).

#287 5 years ago
Quoted from Ghoen:

Is there every any problems with light from the beacons shining on the back glass?

Most definitely there is. However the bright shiny lights take your eyes away from the translite anyway. There is significant bleed downward, and vise versa, you can see the lights from the back board through the domes (problem with having a split level house--I notice stuff like that)

I suspect leaving the holes are a good thing for added heat reduction both out of the backbox and even though somewhat backwards, out of the domes -- as it spins the heat can go down. I don't know, I'm a computer software engineer not thermodynamic engineer

#288 5 years ago
Quoted from Pac-Fan:

Dammit man, I'm a computer software engineer not thermodynamic engineer

Fixed it to be more bones-ish.

#289 5 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

New to the club and to the pinball side of the hobby. Just got a project game from Diz (great guy!) this past weekend. There are some really great looking games in this thread and these pictures really give me something to strive for.
Here is what I'm starting with. Solid game overall, but non-working. My plan is to get a nice, clean, working, player's game. I've already dove right in and am very excited to be learning the ropes with the pins.
Thanks for posting all these great pics and ideas.

Looks pretty good. The mylar is still stuck to the playfield which means the arrowheads haven't come loose or warped on you. I see some broken plastics, but other than that you look to be in good shape.

How is your display? Are all four working? Let me know because I'm looking for one.

DSC03439.jpg 146 KB

DSC03443.jpg 184 KB

DSC03479-483.jpg 142 KB

DSC03465.JPG 271 KB

#290 5 years ago

FiftyQuid - I would have to measure mine - now that I think about it, it could be a long #4 on the shooter lane. I will check tonight is I remember.

Light bleed - yes, as other mentioned there is. I just cut some black poster board to cover the holes and stapled to the wood.

#291 5 years ago

Add one more to the club. Now hurry up and make those repro playfields, PPS!

Steve

#292 5 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

FiftyQuid - I would have to measure mine - now that I think about it, it could be a long #4 on the shooter lane. I will check tonight is I remember.

Thank you. I would really appreciate it.

#293 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Looks pretty good. The mylar is still stuck to the playfield which means the arrowheads haven't come loose or warped on you. I see some broken plastics, but other than that you look to be in good shape.

How is your display? Are all four working? Let me know because I'm looking for one.

Thanks. I don't plan on attempting to remove the Mylar, just going to leave it and clean up the playfield with Novus once I (hopefully) get the game working.

Not sure about the displays since I haven't gotten it powered up yet. They look like they were replaced at some point, though. I'm doing a cap kit on the power supply and just finished the remote battery mod on the mpu.

#294 5 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

Thanks. I don't plan on attempting to remove the Mylar, just going to leave it and clean up the playfield with Novus once I (hopefully) get the game working.
Not sure about the displays since I haven't gotten it powered up yet. They look like they were replaced at some point, though. I'm doing a cap kit on the power supply and just finished the remote battery mod on the mpu.

I'm the same. I'm leaving the mylar on the playfield for now. I have plans to polish and that's it. Mylar removal will come next year once I'm a bit more comfortable with game. I'm just replacing rubbers, bulbs, and cleaning up all the mech. dust. Man, that crap gets everywhere.

#295 5 years ago
Quoted from Ghoen:

Is there every any problems with light from the beacons shining on the back glass?

Yep. On mine I used thin tin flashing slid in on the underside between the beacon mounts and the inner top of the head..

#296 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

missingscrews.png 535 KB

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but the one on the shooter lane is 1/2" long.

Cheers,

#297 5 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Sorry for not getting back sooner, but the one on the shooter lane is 1/2" long.
Cheers,

Just to clarify, it is a #6-32 x 1/2"? Is it a screw or bolt?

#298 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Just to clarify, it is a #6-32 x 1/2"? Is it a screw or bolt?

#6 screw (the 32 would only apply if it was a bolt as that is the thread pitch).

#299 5 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

#6 screw (the 32 would only apply if it was a bolt as that is the thread pitch).

Thank you sir! I'm off to Lowe's.

#300 5 years ago

Scored 15,812,690 tonight. Good enough for 2nd place on pinside's F-14 high scores it seems.
My 2nd time rolling over the display in my last dozen attempts. Normal outlanes, normal tilt, default settings with 3 balls. 4th high score on my machine is now at 9.1 million.
I think it's time to set this game up to tournament standards?

I should probably try to film my next high score game too, so that I have some undeniable proof.
Does nobody else here do bank shots off of the center standup targets?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bokchito, OK
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
There are 4106 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 83.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside