(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,596 posts
  • 469 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 hours ago by pb456
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
20240415_204854.jpg
2024-04-1520.55.50581660535718955564.jpg
IMG_5273 (resized).jpeg
20240412_180621.jpg
IMG_6898 (resized).jpg
IMG_6899 (resized).jpg
F-14 red legs (resized).jpg
25 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
pinside.beb8aa6ea670a2343b9c15463e46ada2dea4ae8f.jpg
20240323_184048.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 112.
#2801 6 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

I had two red diverter lights lit and after my ball drained, I launched next ball and it locked in the left center trough.

This ball should have went into right eject.

Then the next ball I launched also went into the left center trough (two balls there now).

This is correct, but you need to figure out why the first ball didn't go into the right eject.

there they sit for quite a while before machine kicks them out.

The game has lost where a ball is and does a ball search, kicks them out and you play a 2 ball multiball.

I think you need to check switch #21,#20 and #30.

#2802 6 years ago

OK GRUMP. I'll get on it.
Thanks again!

#2803 6 years ago

Styles is deff correct on the lining up of the decals. I did not do so well on that part. I did end up using the dry method on the rest of my decals as I was not happy with the wet. Just take your time and be mindful of looking for air bubbles. Have lots of light so you can get different views of decal while you do it. Will help with seeing the bubbles in decal.

#2804 6 years ago

IMG_0615 (resized).JPGIMG_0615 (resized).JPG

#2805 6 years ago

I'm so rooting for you StylesBitchly to get your f14 working 100%. Grumpy got 2 of my machines back on the road and life has never been so good.the wife hasn't complained about pinball machines in the living room since and has even caught that 1 more game feeling.
Grumpy is better than a marriage counselor !!

#2806 6 years ago

I've fallen and I can't get up!

63926d43c8252fbc455574651fff19eaafbf0bcf (resized).jpg63926d43c8252fbc455574651fff19eaafbf0bcf (resized).jpg

#2807 6 years ago

Best attract mode ever on this pin. Rocks the whole house every time.

#2808 6 years ago

FN comedians!

#2809 6 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Styles is deff correct on the lining up of the decals. I did not do so well on that part. I did end up using the dry method on the rest of my decals as I was not happy with the wet. Just take your time and be mindful of looking for air bubbles. Have lots of light so you can get different views of decal while you do it. Will help with seeing the bubbles in decal.

The front red block and side red block should match up evenly, but mine didn't either. Just match other side to this side so it's uniform and it looks fine. The factory decal registration is off.
Also, use a squeegee or some kind of straight edge tool with a flat edge to apply decal.

#2810 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I'm so rooting for you StylesBitchly to get your f14 working 100%. Grumpy got 2 of my machines back on the road and life has never been so good.the wife hasn't complained about pinball machines in the living room since and has even caught that 1 more game feeling.
Grumpy is better than a marriage counselor !!

LOL!!
Hear that GRUMP! So this means I can put pinball machines in the living room too!

9557f419f3e1 (resized).jpg9557f419f3e1 (resized).jpg

#2811 6 years ago

Well, today I played a whole bunch of F-14 and guess what? I discovered that the out-hole kicker had a broken spring. For some reason, it usually reset ok, but every now and then it wouldn't. This would explain why the computer was loosing track of the balls. After fixing it, I have not had the two-ball multi-ball experience again. I will just have to wait and see. Not going to count chickens before they hatch....again!
Thanks for the tip GRUMPY!

#2812 6 years ago

Count me NOW!

xchicken-eggs-baby-chick-in-shell.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-kG0Nv3nci (resized).jpgxchicken-eggs-baby-chick-in-shell.jpg.pagespeed.ic.-kG0Nv3nci (resized).jpg

#2813 6 years ago

Oh, and one more thing I figured out!
I decided to adjust my pop bumper again to get it even more sensitive. I wound up machine gunning it and blowing the lower playfield 2.5 amp fuse again. Only this time I was prepared. I had blown the U-11 logic chip on my Rottendog MPU board last time I did this, so I replaced the 2.5 amp SLOW BLOW with a 2.5 amp FAST BLOW. My U-11 chip still works. So apparently, you need to change this fuse if you install a Rottendog MPU board.
Cheers!

#2814 6 years ago

Is that your real living room? Totally digging the gnomes and shag ottoman.

#2815 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

Is that your real living room? Totally digging the gnomes and shag ottoman.

No, my machines are down in my walk out basement.
I don't think my wife would allow machines in the living room.

#2816 6 years ago

I have one in mine that is supposed to move, but I have procrastinated for like 3 or so months hopping she will finally give up. It helps that she plays probably as much if not more. You should try you never know.

#2817 6 years ago

I have 6 in my living room and the only reason I'm thinking of relocating to the basement us I can only fit about 8 in the living room and I'm not stopping at 8.

#2818 6 years ago

Can't stop won't stop.

#2819 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

I have 6 in my living room and the only reason I'm thinking of relocating to the basement us I can only fit about 8 in the living room and I'm not stopping at 8.

My "living room" is in the master bedroom and the living room is the "game room".
If you moved your stuff to the basement it will start moving back up again. You have to have at least one for ambiance.

#2820 6 years ago

I would leave 3 at all time in the living room. Caribbean Cruise under the TV and one on each side of the TV,it fits 2 and a cocktail perfect and was the original plan.I'll probably go back to that and start a basement game room for company and keep them out of the upstairs.

#2821 6 years ago

I have them everywhere
Just everywhere.. lol

#2822 6 years ago
Quoted from Buzz:

I have one in mine that is supposed to move, but I have procrastinated for like 3 or so months hopping she will finally give up. It helps that she plays probably as much if not more. You should try you never know.

Dude!
You are my hero with that game room of yours! You wife is definitely cool!

#2823 6 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

You Detroit dudes are BADASS!

"If you know how many pinball machines you own, you don't have enough."

c77e5d669a7d276f7e719438c8418d346367ceb8 (resized).jpgc77e5d669a7d276f7e719438c8418d346367ceb8 (resized).jpg

#2824 6 years ago

I'll use a mirrors to simulate a larger collection

#2825 6 years ago

Looking to get some parts from PBL. Making a list, If any of you happen to have the flipper fidelity speakers, I need to know which one to get. Thanks!

#2826 6 years ago

F-14 Stencils are DONE and they are Bad-Ass! Here is the LINK to buy!

http://pinballpimpstencils.com/?page_id=4063

#2827 6 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Looking to get some parts from PBL. Making a list, If any of you happen to have the flipper fidelity speakers, I need to know which one to get. Thanks!

Don't know about Flipper Fidelity, but Pinball Pro makes one for System 11. These are what I have. I didn't bother with the sub woofer. I don't think you need it. The audio fidelity is just not there in these old games to support it.
http://pinballpro.net/shop/williams-system-11-backbox-speaker-kit-tr-11/

If you want to replace the woofer, I used this one and it works great. Pyramid WX65X 6.5" sub woofer.
https://www.parts-express.com/pyramid-wx65x-6-1-2-white-poly-woofer--290-270

Also, I had problems with the sound cutting out when I first bought the machine. It turned out to be a bad volume pot. I installed a 10k ohm at first and it was too sensitive to adjust the volume. I reinstalled a 5k ohm and it works perfectly. This is an audio taper pot.
https://www.parts-express.com/5k-audio-taper-potentiometer-1-4-shaft--023-608?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

#2828 6 years ago

Do any of you guys have a problem with F-14 pop bumper contacts not staying put? I keep adjusting it for max sensitivity and it works well for a day or two and then becomes insensitive again. I am bending the large metal bar that is supposed to hold the leaf in position, but it still moves out of position. Is there a proper way to bend this bar so it stays put?
Thanks.

#2829 6 years ago

Are the switch stack screws tight?

#2830 6 years ago

I have the pinball pro speakers with the upgraded sub.the speakers sound good but the sub sounds like total shit in f14.being an older game there isn't much of a bass track therefore there's not much signal to the sub for it to do much.I wish I would of saved my money and just did the backbox speakers.the sub sounds much better in my WW.

#2831 6 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

Are the switch stack screws tight?

Yes, very tight and with lock washers. The entire switch stack is brand new. The skirt pin is centered and not pressing but just touching. I used the flashlight from above trick. I know it's the contacts spreading out. I just can't believe the thick support leaf is not holding steady, but it isn't.
Also FYI, I originally bought the pop bumper switch stack assembly from Pinball Life and it is junk. I later bought the one from Marco Specialties and it's much better quality (same size as original). The Pinball Life one is shorter in length and height and also has a black spoon which sucks for centering skirt pin (can't see through it).

#2832 6 years ago

Can any one tell me why these are lighting up as I spin the motor manually? No the machine is not plugged in and these are the 1251 leds.

13EA52AA-8F7A-4C2B-B5D3-7D5EF2FBD579 (resized).jpeg13EA52AA-8F7A-4C2B-B5D3-7D5EF2FBD579 (resized).jpeg

96894672-927F-42AC-98AE-26AE1F5D1D56 (resized).jpeg96894672-927F-42AC-98AE-26AE1F5D1D56 (resized).jpeg

#2833 6 years ago

When you spin a motor manually it becomes a generator which can be enough power for leds

#2834 6 years ago

I was kinda thinking that! Something I remember from high school. But man, thatโ€™s been so long ago!!!

#2835 6 years ago

Take care of the switching, these three lamps for the beacons are working in series connection but on alternating current!

#2836 6 years ago

Yes, very tight and with lock washers. The entire switch stack is brand new. The skirt pin is centered and not pressing but just touching. I used the flashlight from above trick. I know it's the contacts spreading out. I just can't believe the thick support leaf is not holding steady, but it isn't.
Also FYI, I originally bought the pop bumper switch stack assembly from Pinball Life and it is junk. I later bought the one from Marco Specialties and it's much better quality (same size as original). The Pinball Life one is shorter in length and height and also has a black spoon which sucks for centering skirt pin (can't see through it).

It sounds like the adjustment tab is not as strong as it should be. Instead of bending the whole thing forward to make the contacts tighter try to use a pair of small needle-nose pliers and bend the end of the adjustment tab forward at an angle. This may help to maintain a more consistent gap.

#2837 6 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

It sounds like the adjustment tab is not as strong as it should be. Instead of bending the whole thing forward to make the contacts tighter try to use a pair of small needle-nose pliers and bend the end of the adjustment tab forward at an angle. This may help to maintain a more consistent gap.

Good idea!
I tried bending it at the base with needle nose pliers and haven't had time to play it long enough to see if that will work, but if not, I will try your idea next.
Thanks!

#2838 6 years ago

Anyone know what TOP SECRET: Multi-Ball Special at bottom means?

F14_600dpi (resized).pngF14_600dpi (resized).png

#2839 6 years ago

I donโ€™t know, but I hope to find out!

#2840 6 years ago

Not sure, I think if all balls during released multi-ball were landed again... you will get free play?

#2841 6 years ago

Ok couple questions for the group,
What is the proper solinoid for the diverters?
I am putting led lights in this and thought I saw something on the light pcb boards. The one I took a pic of is a dandy!

2855FDC8-1DEA-4029-A829-E0934A9628B0 (resized).jpeg2855FDC8-1DEA-4029-A829-E0934A9628B0 (resized).jpeg

1C0092B0-DC2F-4093-B2DF-63D9F044E2A1 (resized).jpeg1C0092B0-DC2F-4093-B2DF-63D9F044E2A1 (resized).jpeg

#2842 6 years ago

That resistor board is scary.
As to your other question SS 5 and 6.

#2843 6 years ago

You have corn fused me!

#2844 6 years ago

SS = Special Solenoid # 5 and 6 .

#2845 6 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

What is the proper solinoid for the diverters?

Oh did you mean the coil size and type? Both are the same, AL-26-1500-02

#2846 6 years ago

Anyone know what TOP SECRET: Multi-Ball Special at bottom means?

During multiball you have to hit EACH tomcat target, all six upper and all six lower (they no longer count both upper/lower letters with one hit) and that will light the outlane for special.

Quoted from Averell:

Not sure, I think if all balls during released multi-ball were landed again... you will get free play?

3 landings earns you a jackpot, multiple jackpots can be earned during the same multiball. Once landed, the balls feed to the kickouts and are released back into play.

#2847 6 years ago
Quoted from gutz:

During multiball you have to hit EACH tomcat target, all six upper and all six lower (they no longer count both upper/lower letters with one hit) and that will light the outlane for special.

3 landings earns you a jackpot, multiple jackpots can be earned during the same multiball. Once landed, the balls feed to the kickouts and are released back into play.

Well in that case. I would have a better chance of running for President and winning! I still haven't landed all three balls!. Two, but not three. Only beat the computer 2nd high score just barely. I may have it set too steep. I need to cut a 7 degree wood jig so I know how to set the angle properly. Is there a better way to do this?
Then again, maybe I just suck!

#2849 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

These work for this.
ebay.com link ยป Digital Inclinometer Spirit Level Box Protractor Angle Finder Gauge Meter Bevel

Awesome!
I shall order one!
Even if the ebay seller goes by the name of snakewang2005.
Thanks again GRUMPY!!
Added over 6 years ago: Well, the Digital Inclinometer came in and I had my F-14 set to 7.8 degrees. Also discovered the front was slightly off level left to right. I now have played dozens of games on it and it plays much better. Actually averaging much better scores and it's more fun to play. I finally got it dialed in perfectly. What a great game! I also noticed that having the pop bumper set to high sensitivity makes all the difference in the upper playfield action. This is an absolute must for F-14 !!
Thanks again GRUMPY!
Added over 6 years ago: 7 degrees is plenty steep. Any more would make this game too hard IMO.

Added over 6 years ago: 7 degrees is the correct angle from the manual.

#2850 6 years ago

I hope this question isn't two newbie but I had a guy go through my MPU board and he said it would be a good idea to test all the coils before I turn the game on. Do I do this by basically putting the meter on ohms and making sure it's above 3.9 or so? Thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/57 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.