(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,079 posts
  • 322 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,223 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.20.15 PM (resized).png
0A1FAC8F-F8B7-4022-A2F9-427D30D0E3B0 (resized).jpeg
20191026_193510 (resized).jpg
20191025_220604 (resized).jpg
20191025_220544 (resized).jpg
881B8B42-A93A-4236-8EDC-44DD76BB744F (resized).jpeg
02979AB8-B113-40D4-B71A-E29C2AB9CE66 (resized).jpeg
8F68FF0E-4EC1-42C7-8750-6F3C786179CA (resized).jpeg
F66A765B-6CD5-4CEB-9C94-8321AC303173 (resized).jpeg
625D4BB7-2C1C-49E1-8FC6-856F6C0B01E9 (resized).jpeg
DC33FB5C-B7C1-4208-B6A3-6DAE1D0AFC13 (resized).jpeg
B0F64912-39F5-416C-A94D-58595E0350CB (resized).jpeg
04E3C15C-A6E5-48F6-8CCD-00EFCAA125B7 (resized).jpeg
20191012_085151 (resized).jpg
20191012_085132 (resized).jpg
CF00E10A-4C10-4798-9161-2DFFF008B890 (resized).jpeg

There are 4079 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 82.
#2751 2 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

How is this?
Better?

It doesn't count unless the glass is on.

#2752 2 years ago
Quoted from Travish:

It doesn't count unless the glass is on.

Windows Paint allows for super high score even with glass on!

#2753 2 years ago

White lower flippers and yellow upper ones - my OCD is kicking into high gear.

#2754 2 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

White lower flippers and yellow upper ones - my OCD is kicking into high gear.

Yes! and that was on purpose. I think my therapy is working.

#2755 2 years ago

How is this?
Better?

Man that's so good the machine popped an extra digit! Nice

#2756 2 years ago

I noticed that the font is different on your second photo of your score. How did you do that?

#2757 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I noticed that the font is different on your second photo of your score. How did you do that?

That is his new LED display!

#2758 2 years ago

It only shows that font for the best players. You gotta play better to see that.

#2759 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That is his new LED display!

Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

It only shows that font for the best players. You gotta play better to see that.

Sorry, am i missing something ? lol Is there new displays for system 11 ?

#2760 2 years ago

He photoshopped it essentially

#2761 2 years ago

Ahhh... Got it.

#2762 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Ahhh... Got it.

lol..
Perhaps I should have said "Windows 10 Paint program" to be more clear.
Cheers!

#2763 2 years ago

lol..
Perhaps I should have said "Windows 10 Paint program" to be more clear.
Cheers!

You caught the BEE sleeping!
That won't happen again.

#2764 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You caught the BEE sleeping!
That won't happen again.

Damn straight Grump !!

#2765 2 years ago

Is it better to use decals or stencils for the cabinet?

#2766 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Is it better to use decals or stencils for the cabinet?

Decals are easier to do and stencils are more authentic as that was what they were originally but a lot more work. All depends on what your looking for.

#2767 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Decals are easier to do and stencils are more authentic as that was what they were originally but a lot more work. All depends on what your looking for.

I don't mind the extra work... It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I'll be ordering a stencil kit from Pinball Pimp. The 1st order will be for a Eight Ball Deluxe, then F14, Firepower & Embryon. F14 Firepower have a lot of planking.

#2768 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

I don't mind the extra work... It will be interesting to see how it turns out. I'll be ordering a stencil kit from Pinball Pimp. The 1st order will be for a Eight Ball Deluxe, then F14, Firepower & Embryon. F14 Firepower have a lot of planking.

Sorry to inform you, but I tried to go the route of stencils for F-14 but nobody makes them. So, to be or not to be.
See my thread:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/twistedpinscom-is-a-ripoff
Also,
I wouldn't say stencils are more work. If you want your decals to look good, you have to do a lot of prep work or every tiny flaw will show through.

Added over 2 years ago: Pinball Pimp now makes stencils for F-14 Tomcat.

#2769 2 years ago

Can any one tell me why my F-14 sometimes locks two balls in the left or right center eject? It usually happens on the left side. I checked and re-checked all the habitrail switches and trough switches with ball in switch test and they always work fine and I already eliminated the red crimp connectors and soldered wires directly to micro switch tabs. Also, all solenoids are functioning in coil test correctly.

#2770 2 years ago

Here is mine with decals if the stencils you can not find. My first resto so please learn from my mistakes! I got my decals from marco.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-resto

#2771 2 years ago

Count me in

IMG_6082 (resized).JPG

IMG_6084 (resized).JPG

IMG_6085 (resized).JPG

IMG_6086 (resized).JPG

IMG_6087 (resized).JPG

IMG_6088 (resized).JPG

IMG_6301 (resized).JPG

#2772 2 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Here is mine with decals if the stencils you can not find. My first resto so please learn from my mistakes! I got my decals from marco.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-resto

I called Marco & they no longer have them. Does anyone else sell them? Thanks

#2773 2 years ago

Try planetary pinball.

#2775 2 years ago

Any help for my question above?
Thanks

#2776 2 years ago

I'm no help for you styles! Mine is still in pieces.

#2777 2 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I'm no help for you styles! Mine is still in pieces.

The fun is yet to come !

#2778 2 years ago

Any help for my question above?
Thanks

Do you mean that 2 balls may both go to the left eject. And other times 2 balls may go in the right eject. Does the first ball lock correctly in the lower right lock before they lock in the left- right eject. You may have a flaky diode or switch on any or all 3 lock switches.

#2779 2 years ago

Are you asking why sometimes it locks 1 ball other times 2?when you complete tomcat once it locks 1 ball if you complete tomcat twice before locking or losing a ball it will lock 2.

#2780 2 years ago

So I noticed the little bar in town had 2 pinball machines and last time I was in they only had 1. So I found time to stop in and see what it was and lo and behold it was F-14. And probably the darkest,dimmest,hardest F-14 I ever played. Well after about eight games I was finally getting my eyes adjusted to the game and finally got the multi-ball and when them flasher started going off the whole bar just stopped and looked to see what was going on and the bartender was like holy shit nobody's ever done that before. And the sad thing was my score still wasn't high enough to beat the default high scores.

#2781 2 years ago

Thanks for the link.

There is quite a bit of planking on all sides of the cabinet. Would I need to fill the lines in before applying the decals to achieve a really nice/smooth look?

#2782 2 years ago

Lets see a pic scamp.

#2783 2 years ago

I heard that pinball pimp F-14 Tomcat stencil sets will be available shortly.

#2784 2 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Lets see a pic scamp.

20170909_185304 (resized).jpg

#2785 2 years ago

That's going to take sanding, skim coat of filler and more sanding. You WONT be happy after you spend the time money and effort if the art looks bad. Prep work is the most important part.

#2786 2 years ago

Exactly what Travish said. You will want to get some good paint stripper to take that off. Unless you have a good filter on your sander and a good respirator. They used lead paint during those times still for pinball machines. I used Zinsser strip fast, worked like a dream!!! Use old paint brush and lather moderately heavy wait 10 to 12 minutes and plastic puddy knife it right off of there!!!

#2788 2 years ago

First pin, and extremely excited to be part of an active community with a deep knowledge base.

Relevant theme for me, although that career path didn't pan out.

IMG_7394 (resized).JPG

IMG_7399 (resized).JPG

IMG_0188 (resized).JPG

#2789 2 years ago

Awesome game. Welcome to the club and yes there are some amazingly knowledgeable and helpful people here for sure. I'm still trying to land 3 balls during multiball to see what happens. Definitely a one more game type of game for me. Enjoy.

#2790 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Do you mean that 2 balls may both go to the left eject. And other times 2 balls may go in the right eject. Does the first ball lock correctly in the lower right lock before they lock in the left- right eject. You may have a flaky diode or switch on any or all 3 lock switches.

Yes.
Oh, it figures!

#2791 2 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

Are you asking why sometimes it locks 1 ball other times 2?when you complete tomcat once it locks 1 ball if you complete tomcat twice before locking or losing a ball it will lock 2.

It locks two balls in the same trough at the same time. Mostly on the left but sometimes on the right.

#2792 2 years ago

It locks two ball in the same trough. Mostly on the left but sometimes on the right.

But does this happen after you lock the first ball?

#2793 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

OK,
I'll have to play some more to verify this GRUMP.

#2794 2 years ago

You rule grumpy.. always there to help.

#2795 2 years ago

I second that!

#2796 2 years ago
Quoted from Puffdanny:

So I noticed the little bar in town had 2 pinball machines and last time I was in they only had 1. So I found time to stop in and see what it was and lo and behold it was F-14. And probably the darkest,dimmest,hardest F-14 I ever played. Well after about eight games I was finally getting my eyes adjusted to the game and finally got the multi-ball and when them flasher started going off the whole bar just stopped and looked to see what was going on and the bartender was like holy shit nobody's ever done that before. And the sad thing was my score still wasn't high enough to beat the default high scores.

That's because these kids today don't know what a Pinball machine is!

#2797 2 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

I second that!

I third it!

#2798 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

OK GRUMPY,
I had two red diverter lights lit and after my ball drained, I launched next ball and it locked in the left center trough. Then the next ball I launched also went into the left center trough (two balls there now). No ball was in, or went to the far right lock and no ball in the right center lock. Then, there they sit for quite a while before machine kicks them out. Hitting flippers does nothing to release the balls.

#2799 2 years ago
Quoted from scampcamp:

Thanks for the link.
There is quite a bit of planking on all sides of the cabinet. Would I need to fill the lines in before applying the decals to achieve a really nice/smooth look?

Yes, the surface needs to be totally smooth and flat.

I followed this procedure very close (see link below and click on restorations then Cactus Canyon then Cabinet). I used one coat of this poly instead of the 3 coats he used (less work) and odor. (This is to prep the cabinet for decal).

0121 (resized).jpg
He removes a decal, but I used citrus paint remover to remove the paint. It works great and no odor or toxic fumes (can do inside). **Make sure you wear rubber gloves or your hands will burn and be stained for a month!**

I rented a nice sander for this and did the sanding outside.

http://www.webring.org/l/rd?ring=pinball;id=120;url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Erobertwinter%2Ecom%2Fpinball%2Findex%2Ehtml

#2800 2 years ago

Also, use J-B Weld 8257 KwikWood Wood Repair Epoxy for corner repairs. It is hard and will not beak off like wood putty.

I also used the dry method for installing decal. He uses the wet method. Dry is easy and less messy. Just watch some YouTube videos on Dry Method for installing decals. Make sure you install front decal first and align the side decals properly with the front.

epoxy (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
York, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 50.00
€ 3.70
$ 17.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 4079 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 82.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside