(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,615 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 43 hours ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5342 (resized).jpeg
20240421_172524.jpg
20240421_172419.jpg
20240421_172459.jpg
20240421_172410.jpg
sample (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5330 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240421_191638_All PDF Reader (resized).jpg
20240420_160918.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
20240415_204854.jpg
2024-04-1520.55.50581660535718955564.jpg
IMG_5273 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 113.
#201 10 years ago

Just picked up an F-14. Can anyone provide up close pictures of how the speaker panel cover attaches? The top section was glued and it's no longer holding. I'd like to fix it the OEM way.

I'm used to seeing H-trim above the display/speaker board to hold the cover in place. My trim piece is Z-shaped and bolted in place on the backside. There's no ledge up front to go over the speaker panel cover. Make sense?

#202 10 years ago
Quoted from IceCreamMan:

Just picked up an F-14. Can anyone provide up close pictures of how the speaker panel cover attaches? The top section was glued and it's no longer holding. I'd like to fix it the OEM way.
I'm used to seeing H-trim above the display/speaker board to hold the cover in place. My trim piece is Z-shaped and bolted in place on the backside. There's no ledge up front to go over the speaker panel cover. Make sense?

I am pretty sure mine has the H-trim along the top of the speaker panel.

#204 10 years ago

Mine had the Z type, with no lip on the front and the panel is glued. Check the IPDB entry for the machine, there is some mention there of different types :

http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=804

I suspect what you have is original.

#205 10 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Mine had the Z type, with no lip on the front and the panel is glued. Check the IPDB entry for the machine, there is some mention there of different types :
http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=804
I suspect what you have is original.

Yes, looks to be an original, early production model. I'll go ahead and reattach the speaker panel with adhesive as this sounds like they way it was originally done in production.

1 week later
#206 10 years ago

Playfield with left-hand ball trap area sticker modification, and Russian MIG jet model over kicker lane.......

f14.jpgf14.jpg

#207 10 years ago

Looks great !! Im going to be doing a Mig and F14 model mod to mine shortly. Just need to find the time to build the models !!

#208 10 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Looks great !! Im going to be doing a Mig and F14 model mod to mine shortly. Just need to find the time to build the models !!

Yeah, tell me about it!!!

Couldn't find a cheap enough cast iron MIG, there is a decent F14, which is also installed up near the top right flipper.......

-Nate

#209 10 years ago

Don't make the models, they are cheap enough on Ebay/Amazon and the correct scale..

http://smile.amazon.com/Hot-Wings-Planes-F-14-Tomcat/dp/B000V1RB46

DSC00889.JPGDSC00889.JPGDSC00888.JPGDSC00888.JPG

#210 10 years ago

Finally shopped it out and have it working 100%. Added the extra flashers back in. This game is a great system 11. So fast and unforgiving.

IMG_20140409_170901.jpgIMG_20140409_170901.jpg

#211 10 years ago

looks awesome, Ill have to post photos of mine soon once i get the new pop bumper cap on

#212 10 years ago

Has anyone placed a Shaker in F-14?

#213 10 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Has anyone placed a Shaker in F-14?

I haven't yet, but I have the shaker and a PIG2. I'm hoping to tackle this project along with my Firepower playfield swap this summer.

#214 10 years ago

I bought some 1/200 scale Herpa die-cast planes for my machine, but I haven't decided where to put them yet.

tmp_IMG_20140412_175717-1403152952.jpgtmp_IMG_20140412_175717-1403152952.jpg

#215 10 years ago

I placed two shakers in mine(both go off at the same time). I only wanted them for the center rescue targets when hit. The two motors(12v) I used were $10 total. The relay board was about $15. Since I just need a quick on/off I went simple with this. I have other controllers for more advance stuff but I don't want overkill. It works awesome for $25!

I am also adding new sounds and a F-14 fighter (similar to the above pic) which will actually take off when you launch the ball (outside the cab on the side rail). Goes about 18 inches up the field then resets when the next ball hits the drain switch. Almost done and will post a video when finished. It will be unique for sure.

I bought smaller diecast for the playfield. I think the one I am now using for the launch is a little bit out of proportion to the field.

#216 10 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

I am also adding new sounds and a F-14 fighter (similar to the above pic) which will actually take off when you launch the ball (outside the cab on the side rail). Goes about 18 inches up the field then resets when the next ball hits the drain switch. Almost done and will post a video when finished. It will be unique for sure.

That sounds pretty sweet.....I'd love to have that one mine.

#217 10 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

I placed two shakers in mine(both go off at the same time). I only wanted them for the center rescue targets when hit. The two motors(12v) I used were $10 total. The relay board was about $15. Since I just need a quick on/off I went simple with this. I have other controllers for more advance stuff but I don't want overkill. It works awesome for $25!

Do you have a detailed how- to on that? sounds cool!

#218 10 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Ditto.

#219 10 years ago

i agree , want some love on this !

#220 10 years ago

Great game. I don't have the game but would enjoy it in the collection one day.

#221 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Great game. I don't have the game but would enjoy it in the collection one day.

I have F14 and Space Shuttle in my collection at the moment and hope to have more but now that i have my F14 working top notch it would never leave my collection !

#222 10 years ago

I just used a simple 12v relay board. You power the board with 12v and it outputs 12v to the motor. I added a couple of switches to the underside of the playfield. When these push down the ones that were added push down with it turning on the motor. This is a little bit time consuming if you are going to wire more then a couple.

I thought this was the simple choice. Took only 5min.

The sounds and switched jet taking off mod are going through a controller. 2 triggers. One at launch switch which starts the routine then one on the drain switch which interrupts the routine to return back to starting position. This way the jet knows when the next ball launches. We all know the ball time of this game

I can add 24 different sounds. 8 on takeoff switch, 8 on drain switch, 8 when the machine is idle. So far I only have a few effect sounds, but I would like to use them all eventually. Any ideas on sound?

#223 10 years ago

Just bought my F-14 yesterday finally!!!! I'm locked on....

#224 10 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

Any ideas on sound?

Definitely play Kenny Loggin's Danger Zone when ball is in trough waiting to fire.

#225 10 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

Definitely play Kenny Loggin's Danger Zone when ball is in trough waiting to fire.

That was my first.

#226 10 years ago

I also have a few "negative" quotes from Top Gun that are on the drain switch. Three of them. Need some themed music on idle. Only have around 6 of 28 total mp3's. First suggestions get into the game.

#227 10 years ago
Quoted from graystarsfan1:

Just bought my F-14 yesterday finally!!!! I'm locked on....

Hey great for you! Where did you find it?

I placed a little F-14 on the top PF today. It looks good but it needs a light. I'll be doing a LED upgrade soon, I need to find a way to brighten the top flipper area.

f14-on-f14.JPGf14-on-f14.JPG

#228 10 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I need to find a way to brighten the top flipper area.

I added flex led's by the stand up targets and tied them into the GI. Does the trick nicely.
flex-leds.jpgflex-leds.jpg

#229 10 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Hey great for you! Where did you find it?
I placed a little F-14 on the top PF today. It looks good but it needs a light. I'll be doing a LED upgrade soon, I need to find a way to brighten the top flipper area.

I found one in Austin. Man, that F-14 looks awesome! I was gonna get two jets like that and place them inside. I'm stoked to shop this out and LED it. This game will NEVER leave my home.

#230 10 years ago

I added flex led's by the stand up targets and tied them into the GI. Does the trick nicely.

That looks nice. Please be specific, I see cointaker has many Flex LEDs to choose from. Are yours white or blue and how many did you install? Great job!

#231 10 years ago

sorry... my reply was in your quote.

#232 10 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

That looks nice. Please be specific, I see cointaker has many Flex LEDs to choose from. Are yours white or blue and how many did you install? Great job!

Two red on left and two blue on right.

#233 10 years ago

hey guys...anyone have mirror blades on their F-14? I wanted to get some but really don't know who has them...

#234 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

hey guys...anyone have mirror blades on their F-14? I wanted to get some but really don't know who has them...

That would be cool but after looking at my machine i honestly dont think there is enough room between the playfield and sides.

#235 10 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

That would be cool but after looking at my machine i honestly dont think there is enough room between the playfield and sides.

on my Creature it was tight..but once they are in and have a little felt on the sides of the PF it fits fine. I have an e-mail into pinballmirrors.com to see if they have something for the sys 11 games....I will post back after I hear from them...

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

on my Creature it was tight..but once they are in and have a little felt on the sides of the PF it fits fine. I have an e-mail into pinballmirrors.com to see if they have something for the sys 11 games....I will post back after I hear from them...

cool !

#237 10 years ago

Also found a pinsider that was making these and in one of his posts, he mentions doing a set for Sys 11 games...we will see....

#238 10 years ago

Don't think mirror blades would be worth it on F14, the entire right-hand side is just about covered with all the "hardware?" Would look cool with some type of "sky and clouds" sticker along the sides!!

Heck, somebody has to have one of those LED'd bumper caps - seems the absolutely simplest way to light that dark upper pf area?......

Hmmm, sound, how about some nice rocket launch effects??

#239 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Hmmm, sound, how about some nice rocket launch effects??

As soon as I have enough ceiling clearance for the topper, I'll work on it

aim-54-dvic454.jpgaim-54-dvic454.jpg

#240 10 years ago

Here is my topper... Well, actually ceiling-hanger... The machine already has a topper. I need to do some repair to the landing gear, I was doing some ceiling work and snapped the mono-filament...

DSC00740.JPGDSC00740.JPG

#241 10 years ago

Heck, somebody has to have one of those LED'd bumper caps - seems the absolutely simplest way to light that dark upper pf area?......

Ordered and on its way

#242 10 years ago

I put one in a year or so back. Ordered from Europe, glad Pinballife has them more local now.
It does help light things up, but the flex lights by the stand ups does more.

pop-ring.jpgpop-ring.jpg

#243 10 years ago

A little too big for the topper...but will be used for sure...
it's original and from the CAG's plane....if you look closely, you can see it in the picture....

f-14 cag.JPGf-14 cag.JPG f-14 aim.jpgf-14 aim.jpg
#244 10 years ago

Just put the newer style caps in. I really love these things. I will start a new thread on all the moving mods, shaker motor and sounds soon. I will dangle the carrot to keep you coming back. First up will probably be the moving jets.

IMG_20140414_165531-432.jpgIMG_20140414_165531-432.jpg

IMG_20140414_165600.jpgIMG_20140414_165600.jpg
#245 10 years ago

Need your opinions! I have all LEDs on the play field of my F-14 and I am thinking about doing the back box too. What recommendations do you have for frosted vs clear, Ultra bright or regular etc. Love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Al

#246 10 years ago

Backbox: Frosted to diffuse light. I used cointaker and pinball bulbs frosted ones (appx 69c each after discounts). Went with cool whites on top and left to really bring out the blues, then warm whites on the remaining to bring out the reds/oranges from the explosions/reflections on the plane. (I did similar on my High Speed and Jokerz, a nice mix of CW/WW frosteds)

I am going to try the Comet singles as a few of mine have a hotter spot and overall it's a bit too bright over incandescents and want to tone it down just a tad in a few spots.

#247 10 years ago

Selling my F-14 Tomcat if anyone is interested. Just posted in Market place. PM me for information or more pics.

image-212.jpgimage-212.jpg
1 week later
#248 10 years ago

I'm thinking of getting one of the new lighted pop bumper caps. They look great. Thinking of doing blue since it might light up that upper area better. Anyone try a blue one yet? If so, could you post a pic. Curious to see how it looks compared to the red one.

#249 10 years ago

I just bought the red jewelled cap and i love it. I think blue would actually look pretty cool also !

#250 9 years ago

Whats the best size toy model to put in? I wanna do two if possible somewhere on the playfield. I see 1/200 is what someone said....Will that work for two of them?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

There are 5,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 113.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.