(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,126 posts
  • 326 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by mccorn
  • Topic is favorited by 133 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,245 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

f-144 (resized).PNG
IMG_20200126_150001942 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200126_135940471 (resized).png
f-14 (resized).PNG
Williams_1987_F_14_Tomcat_PS.pdf (PDF preview)
IMG_20200125_151942729 (resized).jpg
DSCN1658 (resized).JPG
DSCN1525 (resized).JPG
DSCN1576 (resized).JPG
DSCN1518 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20200120_185319_HDR (resized).jpg
20200120_185310 (resized).jpg
20200120_185038 (resized).jpg
20200120_185229 (resized).jpg

There are 4126 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 83.
#2351 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

If this is 156 milivolts than it's good. Then you will need to replace Q-70 (2n4401) and Q-71 (TIP102) and the diode (1n4007) on the coil.

I've pull the diode of the coil and it was a 1n4001 & I have a brand new 1n4007 diodes, is that still compatible?

#2352 2 years ago
Quoted from raplaka75:

is that still compatible?

It's a higher voltage rating for the same price, use these on all coils and switches and power supplies.

#2353 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

It's a higher voltage rating for the same price, use these on all coils and switches and power supplies.

Ok, I wanted to let you know that I've tested the ohms on the coils and it reads 4.2

#2354 2 years ago
Quoted from PanaPinResto:

I'm looking for a scan of an f-14 playfield. I'm in the middle of a playfield restore and need to make some decals. Any help would b awesome.

I have a file with the waterslide decals on some hard drive somewhere - I got them from Vid, who I imagine will be a happy to send them along to you if I can't turn them up quickly.

How's your restoration coming along? I have an F-14 that plays great, but the inserts are lifting through the mylar so a restoration is likely in the future. I'd be very interested to hear about what worked well, what was harder than you thought, etc. Did you replace your inserts?

#2355 2 years ago
Quoted from raplaka75:

I've tested the ohms on the coils and it reads 4.2

Sounds great do you know which way to install a diode?

#2356 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Sounds great do you know which way to install a diode?

Yes I can solder it back on the same way I took off the old one (with the stripe on the diode going in one direction)

#2357 2 years ago
Quoted from raplaka75:

Yes I can solder it back on the same way I took off

How do you know the last person installed it correctly?

#2358 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

How do you know the last person installed it correctly?

Yeah that's true.....LOL

#2359 2 years ago

You install a diode with the band facing the power wire. The power wire is shown on page 59 of the manual. It will be red or red/white wire.

#2360 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You install a diode with the band facing the power wire. The power wire is shown on page 59 of the manual. It will be red or red/white wire.

I've installed the diode but I didn't connect the J19 plug in or I did not install the new fuse yet. I've tested the DC & AC at the fuse holder and the readings are DC 38.6 & AC jumps from 0.8 and 6.88 in abstract mode, am I doing that correctly?

#2361 2 years ago
Quoted from raplaka75:

and the readings are DC 38.6

This is almost 30% increase in power. Plug in J19, install a new fuse and turn on power and test it.

#2362 2 years ago

I must give gredit to GRUMPY !!! He is so patient and has taught us all so many things !! Just want to say thanks again GRUMP !! You are such an asset to the pinball community !!

#2363 2 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

I have a file with the waterslide decals on some hard drive somewhere - I got them from Vid, who I imagine will be a happy to send them along to you if I can't turn them up quickly.
How's your restoration coming along? I have an F-14 that plays great, but the inserts are lifting through the mylar so a restoration is likely in the future. I'd be very interested to hear about what worked well, what was harder than you thought, etc. Did you replace your inserts?

I have the insert decals already. I needed a PF scan for other text and black lines. Things like "line of Death", white text between flippers and the three areas of pixelated dots. Also may use decals to clean up the pilots at the top of the PF.
The restoration just started but it's going great. I've prepped the PF, painted the blue, red and yellow already. It looks great. I'm clearing this weekend and then I'll do the remaining colors and decals. Followed by a final clear. Shouldn't be long now. My biggest obstacle will be the decals. I'm not sure what to do about the white text on red. I can paint the whole area white and place a red decal but matching the color will be tough on a laser printer. Plus I know little about photo editing and the like. Here's a pic of my progress.

image (resized).jpg

#2365 2 years ago

?? Yes please ??

#2366 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is almost 30% increase in power. Plug in J19, install a new fuse and turn on power and test it.

IT WORKS, IT WORKS, ITS WORKS!!!!!!! Thank you soo much Grumpy for your knowledge and patience with me on getting this back up and running again, you are that dude! I wish I can buy you a case of beer or something...LOL

#2367 2 years ago
Quoted from raplaka75:

IT WORKS, IT WORKS, ITS WORKS!!!!!!!

#2368 2 years ago

I needed a PF scan for other text and black lines. Things like "line of Death", white text between flippers and the three areas of pixelated dots. Also may use decals to clean up the pilots at the top of the PF.

I'd ask Vid; he talks about using playfield scans of F-14 at least once in his pf restoration thread.
Nice work so far - I did my first pf restoration this winter, a Rollergames they needed a little bit of everything. I found the work really satisfying.
Are you thinking of putting down a layer of white over the bare wood upper section, to increase the reflectivity under the plastics?

#2369 2 years ago

I'm not sure what to do about the white text on red.

You might be surprised to see how easy it is to do touch ups using a paint pen. I used a Molotow pen to redo keylining and worn insert printing that wasn't so bad as to need a decal replacement on rollergames and couldn't believe how well it worked. If you spray clear first, you can use the pen and simply wipe it off if you aren't happy with the result. Not that you'd want to try to re-write text by hand, but if you're just touching up worn spots, it could work out well for you.

#2370 2 years ago

I'd ask Vid; he talks about using playfield scans of F-14 at least once in his pf restoration thread.
Nice work so far - I did my first pf restoration this winter, a Rollergames they needed a little bit of everything. I found the work really satisfying.
Are you thinking of putting down a layer of white over the bare wood upper section, to increase the reflectivity under the plastics?

I asked several people now but now one can find them. It's much more difficult to trace out this artwork from a pic of a bad playfield.

#2371 2 years ago

You might be surprised to see how easy it is to do touch ups using a paint pen. I used a Molotow pen to redo keylining and worn insert printing that wasn't so bad as to need a decal replacement on rollergames and couldn't believe how well it worked. If you spray clear first, you can use the pen and simply wipe it off if you aren't happy with the result. Not that you'd want to try to re-write text by hand, but if you're just touching up worn spots, it could work out well for you.

I've been meaning to put one in my cart to try out. Maybe I'll order one now. Thanks

#2372 2 years ago

If you can wait until next week, I can scan the areas you are looking for on my new uninstalled playfield.

#2373 2 years ago
Quoted from shicketmaster:

If you can wait until next week, I can scan the areas you are looking for on my new uninstalled playfield.

Yes, please
I need both pilots and all the white text.
I'll send you a pm.

#2374 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I must give gredit to GRUMPY !!! He is so patient and has taught us all so many things !! Just want to say thanks again GRUMP !! You are such an asset to the pinball community !!

Indeed he is!

#2375 2 years ago
Quoted from RyThom:

I used Comet's 1 and 2 LED frosted bulbs (warm white, though the 2-LEDs are more blue-y) with two 2-SMD frosted bulbs (sunlight) at the F-14's nose.
The photo may not do it justice, but by layering the bulbs of varying brightness, it looks like the foreground plane is about to fly off of the translite!

Nice job! I may need to change to those Comets in the positions you mention, I like your clean bright look.
Here's my before and after (the lower right two [off wing and in the air] are CoinTaker color-changers).

After:
F-14-graphic-newLEDs12132013-cFNL (resized).jpg
Before, as it arrived:
F-14-head-beforeAnyLEDs-c (resized).jpg

#2376 2 years ago

I've installed the flame lamps in the two spots near the jet exhaust and am happy with the flickering orange result. I wish the lamps were lined up just a bit better with the exhaust but I like the dynamic appearance.

#2377 2 years ago

Can someone please post me a close up photo of the center pop bumper coil wiring for an F14? I could also use a photo of the upper right corner of the PC board. Thanks

#2378 2 years ago
Quoted from PARKER12345:

photo of the center pop bumper coil wiring for an F14?

Do you need a pic or is this good enough... Red/white power wire... Blue/yellow control wire... Band on diode faces toward the power wire.

Quoted from PARKER12345:upper right corner of the PC board.

Which board?

#2379 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Band on diode faces toward the power wire.

Banded side of diode always faces the power wire.. one of the first things GRUMPY drilled into my lack of knowledge head !

#2380 2 years ago

Now my F-14 is equipped with a new Power Bridge and fused rectifiers.
This little circuit is developed by Peter Koch and prevents burning wires caused by damaged solenoids.
Of course the pinball machine is better protected against fire hazards.

1 (resized).jpg

2 (resized).jpg

#2381 2 years ago

Why leave the monster capacitor in the machine. Granted, I don't really like getting near that thing.

#2382 2 years ago

I also installed this very very usefull board and kicked the capacitor out.
Avarell loves the look of this bomb

the boards are great, the price is great ... if I see what other people aski here for moddings , and this is not a toy. It is a usefull part to prevent your machine from burning down ...

#2383 2 years ago

Yes, TomDK is right,
I love that mega capacitor... now it's out of function but I leave it at it's place.
And it's not as dangerous as it might be, the voltage is 25 only.
Take a look at the smaller one right on the bottom - that's really bad if you touch it!

#2384 2 years ago

I purchased the replacement 3W motor for the beacons. I was able to fix the original motor as suggested as the wire was cut. It kicks on but the teeth are so stripped they don't bite so had to get the replacement. I've read the varying success here and for me the center beacon works but adding a second causes it to struggle. Any tips on getting all three with this motor? Alignment issue? Replace some parts in the pulleys? At least with the one working the effect is somewhat there.

#2385 2 years ago

No solution possible with that weak Motor, for F-14 you have to use 8W replacement. 3W works on Getaway only!

#2386 2 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

Any tips on getting all three with this motor?

Find out if its a power issue first by removing the 3 lamps and retesting.

#2387 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

So very true.
In one night (Last night), he had me build a power connector from an old PC power supply and a 9 pin IDC connector so I could power up a customers F14 board on my dining room table and test my 7402 IC chip.
Truly a man who goes above and beyond the call of duty here.
Thanks Grumpy.
I will be driving the board back over to install tonight if the weather holds out.

#2388 2 years ago

Seems like nobody has the 8W only the 3W so I had to try that one.

I will try it without the lamps later in the week and see what results.

I must agree GRUMPY is an amazing resource. When he is involved helping someone I have to read it all. He's what Pinside is about to me.

#2389 2 years ago

Been working on my pf restoration. I needed to make some decals so I took the last week to teach myself how. They look great on the monitor. Hopefully they will print just as nice. All I need is the black and light blue but I figured for practice I'd complete all the colors. First one took two days. The second took two hours.

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

#2390 2 years ago

Nice work !!

#2391 2 years ago

Oh man, can you upload the files? I don't think I need to decal over the whole characters outright on mine, but to be able to use some of those details could be really helpful (I'm amassing a file of F-14 playfield details!)

#2392 2 years ago

Oh man, can you upload the files? I don't think I need to decal over the whole characters outright on mine, but to be able to use some of those details could be really helpful (I'm amassing a file of F-14 playfield details!)

I don't need the whole characters either. Mostly just the black lines. I made it in inkscape and each color is in a different layer. This way you can turn on the colors you don't need or turn them white so they don't print. This weekend I'm going to print them and make sure I have the size and perspective right. When I do I'll post them somewhere. I made these off of photos so they may need some adjustment. I really need f-14 pf scans to make things easier.

#2393 2 years ago

Been working on my pf restoration. I needed to make some decals so I took the last week to teach myself how. They look great on the monitor. Hopefully they will print just as nice. All I need is the black and light blue but I figured for practice I'd complete all the colors. First one took two days. The second took two hours.

Impressive...most impressive.

#2394 2 years ago

I really need f-14 pf scans to make things easier.

Did you try writing to Vid? I'm pretty sure he has F-14 playfield scans.

#2395 2 years ago

Did you try writing to Vid? I'm pretty sure he has F-14 playfield scans.

I've asked everyone I thought may have them and no one can find them at the moment. All the artwork I make for F-14 I'll post somewhere. This way it's more acessable to anyone who doesn't have a proper scanner and a new playfield handy.
Are there any legal problems with scanning playfield artwork and sharing it with friends for personal use? Can't be right? I've seen in a couple threads about scans phrases like "people don't like it when you pass scans of artwork around" or if you keep asking for scans your going to get a cease and desist letter". Are people really scared to share a scan? Is this why I can't find one?

#2396 2 years ago

Are there any legal problems with scanning playfield artwork and sharing it with friends for personal use?

I doubt it but if at all possible, im sure Rick will find a way !

#2397 2 years ago

Left the club today. Farewell, dear F-14.
Keep 'em flyin' fellas.

#2398 2 years ago

Are there any legal problems with scanning playfield artwork and sharing it with friends for personal use? Can't be right?

There is no legal reason for anybody ever to object to sharing scans for the purpose of restoration. A legal case could be made if you were creating *for the purpose of resale* a reproduction playfield or playfield overlay decal or some such thing. But if your intention is to recreate an image in order to restore an existing game, a cease and desist letter would be
entirely out of line. The Williams intellectual property owners apparently want everybody to be afraid to do damn near anything, but in a case like this I'm firmly in the realm of "it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission". We are hobbyists, for god's sake. Let's enjoy our hobby.

#2399 2 years ago

There is no legal reason for anybody ever to object to sharing scans for the purpose of restoration. A legal case could be made if you were creating *for the purpose of resale* a reproduction playfield or playfield overlay decal or some such thing. But if your intention is to recreate an image in order to restore an existing game, a cease and desist letter would be
entirely out of line. The Williams intellectual property owners apparently want everybody to be afraid to do damn near anything, but in a case like this I'm firmly in the realm of "it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission". We are hobbyists, for god's sake. Let's enjoy our hobby.

I completely agree !! But like i said, If Rick can find a way to kill it legally ... he will !!

#2400 2 years ago

It would be pretty neat if he dedicated as much energy to making more products available to the community as he does to hurting the hobby.
I try to avoid ordering from them when possible.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Louisville, KY
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
€ 3.70
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
There are 4126 posts in this topic. You are on page 48 of 83.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside