(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,056 posts
  • 321 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 days ago by FLASHBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 130 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,221 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191026_193510 (resized).jpg
20191025_220604 (resized).jpg
20191025_220544 (resized).jpg
881B8B42-A93A-4236-8EDC-44DD76BB744F (resized).jpeg
02979AB8-B113-40D4-B71A-E29C2AB9CE66 (resized).jpeg
8F68FF0E-4EC1-42C7-8750-6F3C786179CA (resized).jpeg
F66A765B-6CD5-4CEB-9C94-8321AC303173 (resized).jpeg
625D4BB7-2C1C-49E1-8FC6-856F6C0B01E9 (resized).jpeg
DC33FB5C-B7C1-4208-B6A3-6DAE1D0AFC13 (resized).jpeg
B0F64912-39F5-416C-A94D-58595E0350CB (resized).jpeg
04E3C15C-A6E5-48F6-8CCD-00EFCAA125B7 (resized).jpeg
20191012_085151 (resized).jpg
20191012_085132 (resized).jpg
CF00E10A-4C10-4798-9161-2DFFF008B890 (resized).jpeg
E4019B06-32CC-47F0-A397-2CF464E2F494 (resized).jpeg
20191004_014053 (resized).jpg

There are 4056 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 82.
#2051 2 years ago

Take a pic when your done and I can double check it before you power it back up.

#2052 2 years ago

Picked up a fair condition f14 a few weeks back. I am in need of sling plastics as they are both destroyed. Anyone have a decent used set for sale? I'd buy a whole new set as some of the others are warped, but I don't think the overall condition warrants the investment. Thanks.

#2053 2 years ago

Im a professional vinyl installer and decided to try wrapping my F14 in yellow to see what it looks like. The Getaway beside it is powdercoated but i wanted to try vinyl on the F14 first before deciding if i liked it in yellow. What do you think ? IMG_20161122_225321 (resized).jpg

#2054 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

What do you think ?

1 No vote.

#2055 2 years ago

I think red would look better than yellow. I probably prefer the original look though.

#2056 2 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

I think red would look better than yellow. I probably prefer the original look though.

Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, not sure what i want to go with. My daughter says blue but i dont think so. Thats why i went with vinyl for now. Easy to change. It actually looks kinda cool in person but i dont know ??? lol Any other opinions on this or other colors based on F14 color scheme ?

#2057 2 years ago

I dig that yellow.. Gives it a nice color pop. How does that vinyl feel to the touch?

#2058 2 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I dig that yellow.. Gives it a nice color pop. How does that vinyl feel to the touch?

Thanks. Its funny, i was wondering about the feel also. The vinyl actually feels really cool. Gives you this slight feel of grip if that makes sense.

#2059 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

My daughter says blue but i dont think so

I'm with her.

#2060 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

I'm with her.

Traitor !! lol ill maybe give blue a shot and see how it looks .

#2061 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

maybe give blue a shot

Match the blue in the lower right of the translite. Also semigloss please. If it looks as good as I (and your daughter) think, I might do this to my pin.

#2062 2 years ago

The yellow doesn't look right to me either. I bet it looks good from a side view where your not able to see the blue playfield and translite. I think the red would go much better with it. Not so sure about the blue either.

#2063 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

My daughter says blue

I made a picture for you.....
00e574658807f34ab2cb2441711db0cc42dbbb68 (resized).jpg

#2064 2 years ago
Quoted from Shiny_balls:

I made a picture for you....

That's awesome. Thank you. Not sure I like it blue. Can you do red for me?

#2065 2 years ago

Red powdercoat:
6 caption=""]

IMG_20161022_163902 (resized).jpg

#2066 2 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

That's awesome. Thank you. Not sure I like it blue. Can you do red for me?

Sure buddy, I think Damagenic's picture is better than mine
00e574658807f34ab2cb2441711db0cc42dbbb68[1] (resized).jpg

#2067 2 years ago

Now I'm really not sure what I like lol. Would you do me one more solid Shiny_balls and do one in black for me when ytou have a min? . Thinking that might be the trick.

#2068 2 years ago

Maybe sky blue or baby blue?
...the color shinyball done looks more like purple to me. maybe it's just my computer

#2069 2 years ago

OK I seem to have everything working, LED flashers etc except for the two flashers in the back box due to the fact my NEW weller soldering iron melted the tip in half while I was soldering connections for another project and haven't tried to swap wires around. Lowes doesn't carry replacement tips but at least the iron came with two other tips that look like small spoons, will have to order from weller.

My next job is the rotating beacon. Never worked since motor was MIA when I bought it a few weeks ago. Fabricated standoffs at 13/16", installed new belts, new bulbs in beacons #1683, with new motor and pulleys. Connected wires to motor that were cut off earlier sometime from the quick disconnect connector, but I'm not sure if it matters which one gets connected to either motor wire since nothing was marked and I can't tell if the motor is polarity specific. Checking voltage at either connection reads 18volts when the game is turned on so I say the slow blow fuse is fine. I thought I read that it requires 28volts to operate the motor and light the bulbs but nothing seems to happen. I tried the light system test and nothing happened, any help would be great. Not sure when they come on, I'd assume during attraction mode and multi ball, but nothing seems to happen if I just let the game be, it does all of the speech and flashes on the play field, just not the rotating beacons on the back box.

#2070 2 years ago

Ok, here's black....
black (resized).jpg

Actual paint on plane?
ghost gray (resized).jpg

Your daughter will love it....
Yikes! lol just kidding
pink (resized).jpg

#2071 2 years ago

Wow, that pink is awesome!! Hahaha. I'm really digging the black now that I see it. What do you guys all think?

#2072 2 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

My next job is the rotating beacon.

This is AC power so no polarity issues when connecting the motor. Turn this on in coil test and retest with meter set to AC volts.

#2073 2 years ago

Dark blue with black legs?

#2074 2 years ago

Black does look good.....

#2075 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

Hmmm.. shiny_balls?

#2076 2 years ago

I know who is the "go to" man now if I have problems I can't figure out on my Tomcat

#2077 2 years ago

It could end up looking like a 300lb black eye.

#2078 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That would be a great tie in color to pick up the back glass

#2079 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

This is AC power so no polarity issues when connecting the motor. Turn this on in coil test and retest with meter set to AC volts.

Had 14 VAC the whole time. Never heard anything click when at solenoid test 16 for the dome lights/rotating beacons.

#2080 2 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Had 14 VAC the whole time.

When measuring AC volts you need to measure across both sides of the transformer coil and not to the ground braid. But since you got 14 volts AC its most likely fine. With game on take a jumper and connect it to the ground braid and touch it to the metal tab of Q-6 on the MPU board. This should make the lights come on and rotate.

#2081 2 years ago

With the jumper in place, the lights came on and the motor rotated but very jittery, maybe lack of voltage? I installed male and female connectors on the wire/motor. Could help it move a bit, maybe binding through the hole, not sure.

#2082 2 years ago

If the belts are to tight it causes problems. While they are in the backbox just pull (stretch)them a couple inches and release. If you want to test the power again, there is a 4 pin molex connector that has a red, brown, and two white/blue wires in it. With the game on put your test leads in the blue/white wires and it should be @ 32 VAC.

#2083 2 years ago

I don't have my needle inserts for the wires, but by putting one connector of my fluke on either side of the relay circuit board those two white and blue wires go to, I get 30 VAC

#2084 2 years ago

U10 PIA failure just popped up on the screen after turning on the game, no idea what that is. Restarted it it was fine.

#2085 2 years ago

Looked at the board and U10 seems fine, odd, first time I saw that. Tried to push it in, no idea if it moved.

#2086 2 years ago

That's good.

Quoted from jetmechinnc:Tried to push it in, no idea if it moved.

Does it have a socket, if so its been replaced before. Now to fix the beacon transistor Q-6. Do you have a logic probe?

#2087 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

That's good.

Does it have a socket, if so its been replaced before. Now to fix the beacon transistor Q-6. Do you have a logic probe?

No. just a fluke volt meter. Not sure if the avionics shop at work has one either.

#2088 2 years ago

Can always order one. Seem cheap online. maybe batteries plus has one?

#2089 2 years ago

First off are you capable of replacing a transistor or an IC chip? If you are then a logic probe is something you should have in you tool box.

#2090 2 years ago

Never have so Id say no. My specialty is grease monkey on aircraft with limited spark chasing beyond running wires and adding environmental splices and using a voltmeter.

#2091 2 years ago

Can you find a junk circuit board to play with? Check out Terry B soldering guide that he post here, its a must.

#2092 2 years ago

So you think I need to replace Q6? Not the relay at the circuit board below the motor? I think my friend Travis is good at soldering, etc. He has rebuilt several games and pinballs. I can ask him.

#2093 2 years ago

If I was to guess I would replace Q-2 and Q-6. Also when I replace TIP122, I use TIP102 as they are more robust.

#2094 2 years ago
Quoted from jetmechinnc:

Not the relay at the circuit board below the motor?

When you grounded the tab on Q-6 and the motor and lights came on, this checked the wiring, the relay and motor and bulbs. The only thing left is the CPU board.

#2095 2 years ago

OK great, I'll first see if my friend Travis has them, otherwise I'll order some TIP 102 from Maro. Have to get creative on other things to order so I don't just pay $10 ship for $3 in parts, lol. Thanks again for the help and Happy Thanksgiving!

Jason

#2096 2 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

Red powdercoat:
6 caption=""]

Beautiful game. What do you guys value this F14? I have a playfield coming for mine and I'm trying to figure out how crazy I want to go with fixing it up.

#2097 2 years ago

Fixin to see alot of nice F-14's start to pop up.

#2098 2 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Beautiful game. What do you guys value this F14? I have a playfield coming for mine and I'm trying to figure out how crazy I want to go with fixing it up.

Yeah. I have a pf coming too. This was a complete beater. Been working on it for awhile. Tough to say what someone might pay for a really nice one.

#2099 2 years ago
Quoted from damageinc55:

. Tough to say what someone might pay for a really nice one

They will never command big money. Just too many of them made.

1 week later
#2100 2 years ago

Except for the fact that most machines out there will still have a crapola playfield and the high end restored ones will be worth something after all. I wouldn't expect more than $3500 though.
I have invested far too much to get back all my money. In addition to a new repro playfield, I installed a new Rottendog CPU driver board and power source and knocker assembly. Also will install a playfield protector and rebuld flippers and pop bumper assembly. New legs and leveling feet and cabinet protectors, lift channel and translite framing, volume pot, ribbon cables, all LED lighting, star posts, Cliffy inlane blades, spinner assembly, playfield glass, rubbers, balls etc. The machine came with a Pinscore display and new plastic set which I installed. Many more improvements as well. So I expect to loose money on this one. I guess it's a labor of love.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
$ 221.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 14.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
There are 4056 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 82.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside