(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,188 posts
  • 328 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by locksmith
  • Topic is favorited by 136 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,275 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

C344F412-2E77-462E-8A9C-D523631BE138 (resized).jpeg
60C74E1C-053D-47F0-BE8B-7EFB6E4FCB03 (resized).jpeg
75F6DB20-575B-41ED-9435-127D63AB0338 (resized).jpeg
20200215_213806 (resized).jpg
20200216_005031 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200216_113435 (resized).jpg
received_514543235869037 (resized).jpeg
received_563204501074318 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200215_211952 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200211_132926442 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200211_132945029 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200211_102447_2 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200208_175708 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200207_203640 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200207_190857 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200207_193404 (resized).jpg

There are 4188 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 84.
#151 6 years ago

Some of you have been asking for it. So, since this may be of interest for some of them, I'm just letting you know that I produce a new batch of my custom stickers for the F-14.

ebay.com link » F 14 Tomcat Williams Pinball Machine Yagov Sticker Decal Mod

Cheers!

#152 6 years ago
Quoted from Dreg604:

Some of you have been asking for it. So, since this may be of interest for some of them, I'm just letting you know that I produce a new batch of my custom stickers for the F-14.
ebay.com link » F 14 Tomcat Williams Pinball Machine Yagov Sticker Decal Mod
Cheers!

Thanks. I bought one a bit ago.

#153 6 years ago
Quoted from RoachOverlord:

One thing that I've always had a problem with on my machine is the Yagov kicker. For some reason it gets caught in a loop and just keeps kicking over and over. Any idea what could be causing this? Right now I've just got it turned off, but I don't like having a signature feature of the game disabled.

well if its firing over and over it sounds like the switch it too tight obviously its triggering the coil so youll need to add some gap or readjust the switch sound like it is getting triggered by the firing of the kicker becouse its too tight.

1 week later
#154 6 years ago

F-14 fell out of the Top 100! Yagov going down!!!!

Question: Who here has replaced playfield flashers with LED colored flashers (They kind that have 5-6 LEDs nested on the bulb. Anyone? Curious to know the results...

#155 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

F-14 fell out of the Top 100! Yagov going down!!!!
Question: Who here has replaced playfield flashers with LED colored flashers (They kind that have 5-6 LEDs nested on the bulb. Anyone? Curious to know the results...

If you do you have to take the warming resistors out of the game or the leds will be on all the time.

#156 6 years ago

Interesting.

Is that true of all pins, or just sys 11?

#157 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

what is Planetary ? he work with cpr?

Planetary Pinball owns the Williams Pinball/Bally Pinball property rights; Classic Playfield Reproductions is a licensed supplier. I own two F-14 Tomcats-one complete (except for it's power supply board), the second is boardless, displayless waif that I paid WAYYYY too much for at an auction several years back (it also needs a ramp-anybody got a good one for sale?!?) Both need work on their beacons ( machine No. 2's is missing): am working on replacing them with modern LED-type beacons...wish me luck with that!

#158 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

what is Planetary ? he work with cpr?

Planetary Pinball owns the Williams Pinball/Bally Pinball property rights; Classic Playfield Reproductions is a licensed supplier. I own two F-14 Tomcats-one complete (except for it's power supply board), the second is boardless, displayless waif that I paid WAYYYY too much for at an auction several years back (it also needs a ramp-anybody got a good one for sale?!?) Both need work on their beacons ( machine No. 2's is missing): am working on replacing them with modern LED-type beacons...wish me luck with that!

#159 6 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I replaced some, not all, of my flashers with colored led ones. Just the ones on the right side, the two on top above the arch, and the one on the left. I got really nice results. I never removed the warming resistors and they work fine, but that may just mean my resistors are no good. It is taken apart at the moment for cleaning but I plan on shooting a video when its all back together and I will share it.

#160 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

If you do you have to take the warming resistors out of the game or the leds will be on all the time.

Ohhhhh I could be wrong on that.

#161 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Ohhhhh I could be wrong on that.

I am not 100% sure either, I think if you maybe only do some but not all of the flashers it helps. Color matched flashers look amazing in this game, but they are also beyond bright.

#162 6 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

I replaced some, not all, of my flashers with colored led ones. Just the ones on the right side, the two on top above the arch, and the one on the left. I got really nice results. I never removed the warming resistors and they work fine, but that may just mean my resistors are no good. It is taken apart at the moment for cleaning but I plan on shooting a video when its all back together and I will share it.

I was thinking the flashers in the backbox might look cool if mixed with white, yellow, and red.

#163 6 years ago

I just posted this thread for a new Technical Chart for F-14, in case anyone would like a copy..

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-technical-chart-attached

Mark

2 weeks later
#164 6 years ago

I just noticed that there are 4 black knobs on the back of the speaker panel that screw off the score display board that have wedge bulbs in them . They are obviously there to illuminate the Williams Pinball #1 in the World but they dont work even after changing the bulbs. Again, i didnt even know they were there. Any ideas ?

#165 6 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I just noticed that there are 4 black knobs on the back of the speaker panel that screw off the score display board that have wedge bulbs in them . They are obviously there to illuminate the Williams Pinball #1 in the World but they dont work even after changing the bulbs. Again, i didnt even know they were there. Any ideas ?

That was an early machine they didnt use the lights on the display board so if they dont work its normal.

#166 6 years ago

Thanks hellfire. My my F14 is an early model. Why would they put them in there with the bulbs if they didnt use them ? Was that panel produced for other games that did ?
Any ideas on how they could be hooked up ?
Might look cool !

#167 6 years ago

Looking for the clear plastics, and both wire gates for my project machine (it came un-assembled in a box full of baggies and seller didn't supply these). Separate post below with details. Thanks!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wtb-3-clear-plastics-for-f-14-tomcat-or-full-clear-repro-set-lr-kick-gates

#168 6 years ago

Someone is selling most of what your looking for on ebay . They are used and going fairly cheap.

#169 6 years ago

I'm replacing the spinner on my F14 with a new one(old one broke). Got new spinner decals and after looking at many photos I noticed that some people have the jet fighter pointing upwards and some have it pointing downwards. Anyone know what position it was in when new ? Not a big deal but just curious.

#170 6 years ago

Also, the new spinner is unpainted metal. Before i paint it does anyone know what the original spinner color was around the decal ? Online photos show some black, some white and some blue.

#171 6 years ago

Superbee - I have an F-14 and the Williams flyer for the game. I usually check the flyer for some of these details. Doesn't mean its 100% accurate as things may have changed after the flyer was printed. My flyer shows a black spinner but it doesn't show the decal. I checked my machine and it has a black spinner and the decal has blue background with a black fighter plane pointed up and to the right. The decal covers nearly all of the spinner and there is only a small border of black that shows on the decal side. I can't say if mine is original or not since I was not the first owner! Checking a picture on ipdb.org shows the decal with a blue background and black fighter pointed up and to the right same as mine.

Don't know if this helps you but I hope so.

Al

#172 6 years ago

Thanks Charleston,
Its always nice to be able to keep little things like this as original looking as possible .

#173 6 years ago

I think I have a board on the way out. I can handle working on the mechanical parts of my machine. But board work is greek to me. The replay high score just keeps getting lower regardless of how many times it is hit. Also the exit kicker from the middle ramp only fires for multiball, or end of game. If there is a ball in the cradle and another ball gets diverted down the middle ramp the bull wont kick out before the new ball enters the cradle.
Any suggestions? Or is it time for me to call my local pinball handyman?

#174 5 years ago

Wondering if anyone would have an extra one of these plastics i could buy? My plastics are in pretty good shape except for this one which was broken in half and glued . Aurora-20140227-00327.jpg

#175 5 years ago

another question for all you Tomcat owners. Has anyone replaced any of the playfield plastics with the rivets ?
Some of the domes are riveted onto the clear plastics that i want to change and i know a regular rivet and rivet gun wont work .

#176 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

another question for all you Tomcat owners. Has anyone replaced any of the playfield plastics with the rivets ?
Some of the domes are riveted onto the clear plastics that i want to change and i know a regular rivet and rivet gun wont work .

In the past I've used a small stainless steel screw with one of those little nylon locking nuts underneath. Not quite "stock", but nice and easy and looks fine to me.

#177 5 years ago

Quick question. Does the pop number get more powerful as to the speed at which it launches the ball as the difficulty of the game increases. Saw the f-14 at the ohio show and that pop bumper was moving a whole lot faster than mine. Thought it was due to the fact that I have mine set on easiest skill level

Anyone confirm??

Thanks

George

#178 5 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Quick question. Does the pop number get more powerful as to the speed at which it launches the ball as the difficulty of the game increases. Saw the f-14 at the ohio show and that pop bumper was moving a whole lot faster than mine. Thought it was due to the fact that I have mine set on easiest skill level
Anyone confirm??
Thanks
George

On earlier System 11 machines like Tomcat, the machine has no direct control over the firing of the bumper when it's being played. When the ball touches the "skirt" on the bumper, it closes the little "spoon" switch underneath and that causes the bumper to be fired directly via a direct switch on the MPU. If yours is not as quick as you'd like, I'd suggest adjusting the switch underneath the bumper that is activated by the skirt to make the gap a little smaller, which means it will activate sooner and be more sensitive. Don't over do it though.

#179 5 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

On earlier System 11 machines like Tomcat, the machine has no direct control over the firing of the bumper when it's being played. When the ball touches the "skirt" on the bumper, it closes the little "spoon" switch underneath and that causes the bumper to be fired directly via a direct switch on the MPU. If yours is not as quick as you'd like, I'd suggest adjusting the switch underneath the bumper that is activated by the skirt to make the gap a little smaller, which means it will activate sooner and be more sensitive. Don't over do it though.

Hi

Switch seems to be working just fine, just a lot less intensity of the pop bumper than the one I saw last eve.

Not sure this is a switch issue

G

#180 5 years ago

I am looking to buy my first pin and I want it to be F14. I have cash. I want a good players machine, one that I can play for a while, then after playing it a bunch, shop it out. If anyone lives in DFW area and has one to sell, please let me know. Thanks.

#181 5 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Hi
Switch seems to be working just fine, just a lot less intensity of the pop bumper than the one I saw last eve.
Not sure this is a switch issue
G

Mine had the same problem. I'd recommend actuating the pop bumper by hand and see if you can feel any friction or resistance. If you can, fix it! You might have to disassemble and clean it, or replace a part...

#182 5 years ago
Quoted from GPS:

Anyone confirm??
Thanks
George

You might want to check the coil in the pop bumper to make sure it is the correct coil. If it is and you still want more power you can remove some windings from the coil to reduce its resistance and increase the power. However, don't over do it.

#183 5 years ago

Anyone have a source for the blue play field domes? Mine are somewhat faded and I would like to replace them - however I can only find ones that are not smooth along the sides.

#184 5 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

Anyone have a source for the blue play field domes? Mine are somewhat faded and I would like to replace them - however I can only find ones that are not smooth along the sides.

These? LD-03-8149-10.jpg You will need to drill out the rivets and re-rivet them since they didn't use scerws on them I don't think. I don't think that you be able to find them without the ribbing on the sides like the originals.

$1.25 each: (25% off 5+)
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=309

$1.35 each:
http://www.pbresource.com/lampcov.html

$1.50 each: ($1.25 3+)
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8149-10

$2.50 each (OOS):
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LD-03-8149-10

#185 5 years ago

ok, question for all you Tomcat players out there? Im very good at this game but my brother is even better . wanna know why ? No matter how much i tell myself not too i keep going for the center kill after lighting the side light kills to advance the alpha /bravo etc kills to light extra ball and ultimately center drain and he resists the urge !!! Why cant i stop doing this ??????? lol

#186 5 years ago
Quoted from Pac-Fan:

These? You will need to drill out the rivets and re-rivet them since they didn't use scerws on them I don't think. I don't think that you be able to find them without the ribbing on the sides like the originals.
$1.25 each: (25% off 5+)
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=309
$1.35 each:
http://www.pbresource.com/lampcov.html
$1.50 each: ($1.25 3+)
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8149-10
$2.50 each (OOS):
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=LD-03-8149-10
LD-03-8149-10.jpg 2 KB

Hi - thanks, but I have seen those and they are not the correct ones. The ones lists do not have the smooth sides to them as the OEM ones. The other option is to replace them all so that they all have the same 'textured' sides.

#187 5 years ago

Ok, im thinking of getting a couple of diecast planes to mod my F14. Im going to use one F14 Tomcat (obviously) and i want to use one russian MIG fighter jet. Does anyone know what MIG would have been used around the same time the F14 was the big boy for the USA ?

#188 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Ok, im thinking of getting a couple of diecast planes to mod my F14. Im going to use one f14 tomcat (obviously) and i want to use one russian MIG fighter jet. Does anyone know what MIG would have been used around the same time the F14 was the big boy for the USA ?

MiG-25. The Russian planes on the playfield and backglass are also MiG-25s.

#189 5 years ago

Thank you sir !!

#190 5 years ago

What clear bumper topper will fit on top of the bumper. Are they all standard? A link would be great.

#191 5 years ago

What do you mean by a clear bumper topper ?

#192 5 years ago

Instead of the red cap. I would like a clear one instead.

#193 5 years ago

Yes all the williams style clear cap do fit you can use a variety of colors.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

ok, question for all you Tomcat players out there? Im very good at this game but my brother is even better . wanna know why ? No matter how much i tell myself not too i keep going for the center kill after lighting the side light kills to advance the alpha /bravo etc kills to light extra ball and ultimately center drain and he resists the urge !!! Why cant i stop doing this ??????? lol

Avoid the center kills, tell yourself this will most definitely be your demise. I pass/cradle to the right flipper and blast Yagov repeatedly for kills to get to extra ball right from the beginning of the game, get the ball up top and shoot the advance multiplier, try to "work the upper playfield loop shot", by then my locks are usually all lit - lock up all the balls and go for multiball, fighter bonuses.

#195 5 years ago

Thats the problem wayout, I know how to play it and what i should do but i just cant seem to stop going for that easy but deadly center kill ! lol

#196 5 years ago
Quoted from seatownpinhead:

I think I have a board on the way out. I can handle working on the mechanical parts of my machine. But board work is greek to me. The replay high score just keeps getting lower regardless of how many times it is hit. Also the exit kicker from the middle ramp only fires for multiball, or end of game. If there is a ball in the cradle and another ball gets diverted down the middle ramp the bull wont kick out before the new ball enters the cradle.
Any suggestions? Or is it time for me to call my local pinball handyman?

Did not notice if you got a response yet... Don't know off hand what to tell you about your high score but as far as the balls doubling up without firing, that is likely just a switch issue. In the wire frames that direct the balls, you will see a switch in each of them. You need to be sure that the ball actuates that switch when it flies by. Had the same issue on mine.

#197 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

I know how to play it and what i should do but i just cant seem to stop going for that easy but deadly center kill ! lol

I almost always shoot it & seldom drain. You just need to glance the outside edge of either target. Takes a little practice, but you'll get there.

#198 5 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

I almost always shoot it & seldom drain. You just need to glance the outside edge of either target. Takes a little practice, but you'll get there.

Yeah, i always try to glance . The point im trying to make is that my brother just refuses to ever shoot for it ...period, and he gets great scores. I just cant seem to resist that easy kill and it always kills me ! lol

#199 5 years ago

I have a early machine which has the older ROM. Which ROM version do you guys like? Is the only difference the multiball "spot" in the code? Also I notice newer speech/sound updated ROMS. Did this add anything to the game?

#200 5 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

Is the only difference the multiball "spot" in the code? Also I notice newer speech/sound updated ROMS. Did this add anything to the game?

I have a L1 chips in. Im also interested if there are any real differences in the newer roms ?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
There are 4188 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 84.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside