(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,590 posts
  • 469 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by kasManiac
  • Topic is favorited by 206 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
20240415_204854.jpg
2024-04-1520.55.50581660535718955564.jpg
IMG_5273 (resized).jpeg
20240412_180621.jpg
IMG_6898 (resized).jpg
IMG_6899 (resized).jpg
F-14 red legs (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
25 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
pinside.beb8aa6ea670a2343b9c15463e46ada2dea4ae8f.jpg
20240323_184048.jpg
PXL_20240323_205150548 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,590 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 112.
#1851 7 years ago

Just to let you guys know I will be joining the club in a few days

#1852 7 years ago

welcome to the club! Its a great game.

#1853 7 years ago

Well. count me in. Have the F14 now for an year. My first pin and loving it, i am not that technical so a mechanic nearby is my man for solutions fortunately i do not need him often.

Recently after changing batteries there was an error and the F14 would not start. The battery-holder was broken and after replacing it was starting up again.

When i bought it the left slingshot was broken, after asking here on the forum member Scott send me an message he has one available (https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/sckurk) a day later Fedex stops at my house, Scott has send me the slingshot for free, can you believe that there are people like that? We need more of these people that help out other people without
self-interest

Now looking for an companion for the Tomcat, i think the Twister is the likely candidate. Real challenge to get me an good one out here in the Netherlands

#1854 7 years ago

Mine arrives the 13th!!

1 week later
#1855 7 years ago

Arrived today!
Had zero machines for a few months after I sold the ACDC, but now I have one again. And it's F14!!
43cdff81-e9f8-4d53-ab38-07c885e6c17a_(resized).jpg43cdff81-e9f8-4d53-ab38-07c885e6c17a_(resized).jpg
3526a6d4-14b3-4fd9-9890-14769f634678_(resized).jpg3526a6d4-14b3-4fd9-9890-14769f634678_(resized).jpg

#1857 7 years ago

Looks pretty nice!

#1858 7 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

Somebody did do a "divide by 10" ROM for this, that would mean you'd need to play for 10 times as long to roll it over

Yes, you will never roll over the Pinhacks version of the ROM

#1859 7 years ago

Anyone know where I can get this Rom?

#1860 7 years ago

PPS does not let modded ROMs be downloaded from the Net.

Read between the lines on this thread....

#1861 7 years ago

Got it. Thanks.

1 week later
#1862 7 years ago

Help needed! I have an F-14 Tomcat project on my workbench, and the big project element is that a previous owner hacked up the flasher boards and cut some flasher wiring entirely, so I have loose, cut wires all over the place and don't know where they go. It would help me greatly if someone could post or PM me detailed pictures of the underside of the playfield, especially the wiring related to the flasher boards and the snubber relays. Any help is appreciated!

#1864 7 years ago

Thanks, vid1900! Wow--there's a lot there to absorb there, but I'll study up this weekend. What a great resource. I know there are plenty of pix in the link provided above, but if anyone has pix of the playfield underside in small sections I can still use them in general.

#1865 7 years ago
Quoted from JOESCHALL:

Thanks, vid1900! Wow--there's a lot there to absorb there, but I'll study up this weekend. What a great resource. I know there are plenty of pix in the link provided above, but if anyone has pix of the playfield underside in small sections I can still use them in general.

100 high rez disassembly photos:

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/f-14-tomcat/gallery/shopout

#1866 7 years ago

Superb, vid1900. These will get me there for sure. Just what I need. Thank you!

#1867 7 years ago

And now, looking at the service bulletin you provided in the other link along with your pix, I can see that my machine is one of those where the operator cut the wires and removed the bulbs (by the number on my backbox at least, my game may have been #33 in production). This will make it much easier to fathom what happened to my wiring and to decide how to remedy it. Again, thanks a million. Now the "mess o' wires" is starting to make sense!

#1868 7 years ago

So having some issues on my buddys machine if anyone could take some time and snap me a couple pics of coil wiring and switch for the popbumper it would help alot

#1869 7 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

So having some issues on my buddys machine if anyone could take some time and snap me a couple pics of coil wiring and switch for the popbumper it would help alot

100 high rez disassembly photos:

https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/f-14-tomcat/gallery/shopout

#1870 7 years ago

Yeah i looked at those but im hoping for a couple close ups of coil and switch

#1871 7 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Yeah i looked at those but im hoping for a couple close ups of coil and switch

Did you click on them to zoom in?

9febec75ee86c49ba912bd4adef398c9c106d67a_(resized).jpg9febec75ee86c49ba912bd4adef398c9c106d67a_(resized).jpg

#1872 7 years ago

e1ef32362591dfa23632e56cefd6cbc65a0aa24d_(resized).jpge1ef32362591dfa23632e56cefd6cbc65a0aa24d_(resized).jpg

#1873 7 years ago

Problem is my buddy clipped wires and said it was one way ,we have 2 red and white wires going to positive on coil. but from those pics looks like one so need to see if i have it right

#1874 7 years ago
Quoted from Schabs81:

Problem is my buddy clipped wires and said it was one way ,we have 2 red and white wires going to positive on coil. but from those pics looks like one so need to see if i have it right

There are 2 Red/White wires daisy chaining power to the next coil.

#1875 7 years ago

Need a little help fellow F-14 owners... I just got an F-14 that is in great shape, however the left center target doesn't work. There is a a 1 1/2" yellow wire coming off the bottom of it. If someone could let me know where it goes, it would save me a lot of grief looking over the schematics. Thanks!

F-14_target_issue_(resized).jpgF-14_target_issue_(resized).jpg

Location_of_Target_Issue_F-14_(resized).jpgLocation_of_Target_Issue_F-14_(resized).jpg

#1876 7 years ago

IMG_1629_(resized).JPGIMG_1629_(resized).JPG

Together with green wires
e320908772d974d5d90a1dbeb8dcb8ace6a65b53_(resized).jpge320908772d974d5d90a1dbeb8dcb8ace6a65b53_(resized).jpg

#1877 7 years ago

Here's what I hope is a simple question: on my F-14, one time and one time ONLY have I ever had the SPECIAL outlane lights come on during a game. I was super excited when it happened, yet had no idea what I'd done to activate them. And then I drained SDTM and never got to see what happened next.
WHAT IS THE DEAL there?! I looked it up on IPDB and couldn't find anything. WEIRD.

#1878 7 years ago

Special is usually just a free game. I think if you spell tomcat during multiball SPECIAL will lit but I honestly have never bothered to put any thought into it.

#1879 7 years ago

You can change the "special" light to be qualified by various settings during multi-ball. Since mine has been setup as HUO with extra ball awards instead of free games for awards, it has not been a real interest for the 28 years that we have had it. Haven't thought about it much. But see the manual section for it below. We probably hit it a few times, but with multi-ball on this machine, you're just keeping balls in play that are rocketing at you.

DeleteMe_(resized).JPGDeleteMe_(resized).JPG

#1880 7 years ago

As far as the reward itself for the "special", that can be set to different things also. I have mine set for a extra ball. During the multi-ball, I'm concentrating more on getting all the landings.

DeleteMe_(resized).JPGDeleteMe_(resized).JPG

#1881 7 years ago

Jesus Christ, no *wonder* I only managed to light it once in 2 1/2 years! Getting 3 landings with at least 2 balls still in play is hard enough!

#1882 7 years ago
Quoted from Shiny_balls:

Together with green wires

THANKS Shiny_Balls! That was my guess, but I've guessed wrong in the past with dire consequences.

#1883 7 years ago

I'm in the middle of a restore, rebuilding the beacon assembly. When it gets triggered, the (new) motor isn't able to start the rotating. Only after i move it manually, they start up. I'm trying to find friction or anything that could be hindering the movement, but no luck.

Any tips on this? Thanks

#1884 7 years ago

I replaced my beacon motor and the rubber belts/bands when I reworked mine. It was sticking a little at the beginning. I messed with the pulleys a bit as my thoughts were that they were side loading a bit and after they were not used for 25+ years, there was likely some dust/dirt restricting it here and there. I pulled on the new belts/bands a to flex them a little so that they were maybe not as tight. That worked, but was still sticking from time-to-time. After it got used maybe 5 times or so, it worked a lot better. Not sure if that will help at all, but I had the same thing happen.

#1885 7 years ago

My new (about 1.5 years ago) beacon motor will still stick once in a while as well (not very often, but once every few months it seems) - it will start rotating on it's own though after about 1-2 seconds.

#1886 7 years ago

I'm selling my early run Tomcat in the "northeast for sale thread": it has all the early production trimmings: clear flashers, 5 working flashers near the top, clear domes, insullated lamps, early production scorecards, prom's marked Proto5, different sounds/attract modes & scoring, LED's and very clean for 1100

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

1 week later
#1887 7 years ago

Does anyone know the Part # and/or supplier for the rescue solenoid plunger on the lower left side of the F-14 Tomcat play field? Mine has a plastic tip on it which is chipped causing the ball to sometime come out erratically.

#1888 7 years ago

You can check with pinball life. They have a lot of options and may have one that will work.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=121&pg=1

#1889 7 years ago

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=639
I think this one should work for you. My space station has the same problem and I am going to replace it as well. F-14 should be really close in parts as they were made in the same year.

1 week later
#1891 7 years ago

Within my pop-bumper, the wedge light has a bad connection. The light does not work, but the pop is fine. Am I able to fix without removing the whole pop bumper?

pop-light_(resized).jpgpop-light_(resized).jpg

#1892 7 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

Within my pop-bumper, the wedge light has a bad connection. The light does not work, but the pop is fine. Am I able to fix without removing the whole pop bumper?

Yes, the lamp socket is the first thing you have to remove and the last thing to get put in when removing a pop bumper. All you have to do is go to bottom of playfield, remove the two wires going to socket, remove socket from top, insert new socket, and re-solder on the two wires on bottom...

You need sockets with wire pigtails...

077-5206-00_(resized).jpg077-5206-00_(resized).jpg

#1893 7 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-rebuilding-pop-bumpers#post-485877

1 week later
#1894 7 years ago

Does anyone have these pinblades installed on their F14? If so, can you post a couple of pics of them installed on the machine? Thanks!
http://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/#!product-page/c7zeb/7345d3e3-7920-f2a4-2ab1-b476e5a11660

1 week later
#1895 7 years ago

Hey Everyone, I'm about to go check out an F-14 Tomcat for sale tonight. I wanted to know if anyone has some advice on what to take a look at before I buy it (common wear spots, quick-to-go-bad electronics, etc...)

Thanks!

#1896 7 years ago
Quoted from Crater:

Hey Everyone, I'm about to go check out an F-14 Tomcat for sale tonight. I wanted to know if anyone has some advice on what to take a look at before I buy it (common wear spots, quick-to-go-bad electronics, etc...)
Thanks!

Look for raised inserts under the Mylar.

Look for cracked inserts.

Look for cracks in the welds of the 2 center wire ramps that launch the balls.

Check that the motor works that spins the beacons $$$

Check that both diverters work on the upper left plastic ramp.

Check for corrosion on the traces near the battery pack.

Check for broken plastics, especially around the upper loop (the skinny ones)

#1897 7 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Look for raised inserts under the Mylar.
Look for cracked inserts.
Look for cracks in the welds of the 2 center wire ramps that launch the balls.
Check that the motor works that spins the beacons $$$
Check that both diverters work on the upper left plastic ramp.
Check for corrosion on the traces near the battery pack.
Check for broken plastics, especially around the upper loop (the skinny ones)

Thanks a bunch for the tips! I didn't end up getting it because a few of the things you mentioned. It was tough to say no because I have been on the hunt for an F-14 for some time now, but the price and quality just didn't match up. I'm always up for a project, but only if the price is right. I guess the hunt continues...

2 weeks later
#1898 7 years ago

Unfortunately I need a new roof on my house. F-14 is going to help pay for it. Leaving this club (for now)...

#1899 7 years ago

Good luck...

Salute_F-14_(resized).jpgSalute_F-14_(resized).jpg

#1900 7 years ago

what is the best looking pop bumper cap?i d ont like original cap.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Flashinstinct

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,590 posts in this topic. You are on page 38 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/38?hl=crater and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.