(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,106 posts
  • 325 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by BertoDRINK1
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,235 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20200120_185319_HDR (resized).jpg
20200120_185310 (resized).jpg
20200120_185038 (resized).jpg
20200120_185229 (resized).jpg
20200120_185630 (resized).jpg
20200110_193532 (resized).jpg
20190901_211820 (resized).jpg
1EA22D7A-15F5-48A8-9CB3-5A0267C24B13 (resized).jpeg
81714E56-1F69-4BDF-956C-A29D4F0B0C18 (resized).jpeg
C46D21B3-C043-48BA-8411-40ED33A6193B (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.20.15 PM (resized).png
0A1FAC8F-F8B7-4022-A2F9-427D30D0E3B0 (resized).jpeg
20191026_193510 (resized).jpg
20191025_220604 (resized).jpg

There are 4106 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 83.
#101 6 years ago

good idea! but try to change your led for incandesant bulb.

#102 6 years ago

Can anyone help with an issue I am having with a F14 I just picked up. I plan to let a friend borrow it over the holidays.

On the F14 when the ball is launched if you do not hit it with the upper flipper does it drain? After launch the ball travels around the top and down the other side. It always drains if you do not hit it with a top flipper it goes straight down the middle. Is this common?

TIA, Bob

#103 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

good idea! but try to change your led for incandesant bulb.

Ok, I'm gonna try that - it'll still be ok with an incandescent because I tapped onto an existing GI?? Thanks.

#104 6 years ago

Bob,
With the ball drain, I would say yes...it is common if you don't hit the ball with the upper left flipper.

I love this machine with the LEDs! Here's a vid of my son playing. Next time, I'm going to get a stand for the camera! Sorry!

#105 6 years ago

Thanks for the info, I noticed in your video at 0:25 the upper right flipper did not hit the ball and the ball hit the right lower flipper. Mine will drain down the center every time. It looks like a pain to adjust due to removal of playfield stuff but I plan to look into it today. I do not want to give someone their first pin and have a drain issue because it could turn the 3 boys off pinball.

Thanks

#106 6 years ago

Bob, sounds like the table isn't level....

#107 6 years ago

WOW...good eye! It seems like sometimes it goes down the drain...but like 27dnast said, it might just have to be leveled.

#108 6 years ago

Actually, it drains from either side so probably not a level issue. I will try to sdjust the rails, hopefully I will not have to take the ramps off. I will post my results...

#109 6 years ago

Big_Bob,
I was just playing my machine again and noticed that when it goes around the upper ramps it normally grazes the sides of the upper flippers before it exists the ramp...enough where it can effect the drain. You might want to check the position of those and make sure they are not "toed" out but slightly toed in. Just a thought.

#110 6 years ago

Are most slingshot rubbers the 2 3/4 size?? Need to replace F14's.

Also, what is the size of the upper rubber right in the center of the upper targets (the one that the bumper bounces the ball off of)?

Also, anyone tried the flasher LED's in this game for the backbox?

Thanks.

#111 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Also, anyone tried the flasher LED's in this game for the backbox?

Yes, my entire game is LED. The flashers in the backbox look good, I'm even thinking about trying colored flashers back there, yellow or orange, to enhance the "explosion" effect.

#112 6 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

Bob,
With the ball drain, I would say yes...it is common if you don't hit the ball with the upper left flipper.
I love this machine with the LEDs! Here's a vid of my son playing. Next time, I'm going to get a stand for the camera! Sorry!
ยป YouTube video

Damm, that's weird. My F14 is set up with a CC Hollywood just to the left of it as well. What are the odds? Of course I am missing the other games around it...

As for LED's - I installed matching colors in the inserts, GI is using frosted cool whites - I tried using colors, but I didn't like the way the 'other' colors were washed out/over powered on the plastics. In the back box I used some blues in the bottom right to highlight the water and under the left wing, a couple of orange in the top right explosion with the rest cool whites.

Left standard bulbs for the flashers as it is well bright enough for me now - have considered them especially since my blue domes have faded some and so far I have found an exact replacement as the ones that are available are ribbed on the sides.

Thinking of adding some of the mirrored sides - I think the black chrome ones should looks cool, but undecided.

#113 6 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

In the back box I used some blues in the bottom right to highlight the water

Ohh, I hadn't thought of that! Good idea!

#114 6 years ago

LongJohns...that is spooky! I hate to say it but I do love that Hollywood....lots of stuff to hit and spin! Good game!

I also have standard bulbs for the flashers. For the price....I think they work fine!

#115 6 years ago

Thanks for the LED tips re: flashers, I want to try some orange/red to highlight the explosion....

2 3/4 slingshot rubbers - is that the right size?? Also still need the top rubber measurement - thanks!

#116 6 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Yes, my entire game is LED. The flashers in the backbox look good, I'm even thinking about trying colored flashers back there, yellow or orange, to enhance the "explosion" effect.

I installed 2 red and 2 yellow flashers in the backbox to make the explosion pop, it really looks good!

#117 6 years ago

Mine was a HUO that I bought disassembled. Other than some screws, it was all there. A friend was getting rid of a worn playfield and I got the playfield wiring harness and all of the screws to use. Another friend had a trashed game and let me borrow it to take it apart to see how they went together (I had most of it figured out, but there were some parts at the end that were confusing). I used the mylar stickers to fix the playfield insert graphics that has come off and the previous owner had already put in a LED display. The game is awesome and the cabinet is amazing. I need to take pictures!

#118 6 years ago

Here is the color LED's I am using in the back box:

IMG_0380 [800x600]-696.JPG

IMG_0383 [800x600].JPG

IMG_0381 [800x600]-731.JPG

#119 6 years ago

COPYCAT!

#120 6 years ago

:p

What is even odder is that we both also have a Dodge City as well (still trying to fix mine - waiting on some parts).

#121 6 years ago

I just found that early F-14's like mine have white flasher domes on the back of the playfield. Newer ones were changed to red. Anyone every seen both in action and have a favorite? Thinking of doing mine in red/white/blue.

#122 6 years ago

Seen both and the red is better. I have white like yours and when they get going it's hard to concentrate on the game they're so bright. I've been thinking going the same route as you. I did that with my Space Shuttle and really like it.

#123 6 years ago

So glad I just got back in this club !!! Got mine from FATDIRK, its a prototype unit in incredible shape. I will never make that same mistake again, its home...............

#124 6 years ago

Drain issue turned out to be upper flipper adjustment as Jodini suggested. They looked perfect but touched the ball slightly.

I decided to let the homeowner borrow a T2 instead so I will post this for sale with delivery to the Winston-Salem auction.

Bob

#125 6 years ago

what is your favorite color for your flasher on the back panel playfield? red or clear?

#126 6 years ago

Red - red - red.

Would also be cool to have Red - White n Blue!!

#127 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

what is your favorite color for your flasher on the back panel playfield? red or clear?

Red. I have never played the game with 6 clear flashers on the back panel, I have the one with red flashers. Knowing how bright those flashers are with the other 8 flashers on the pf I would have to say red. Sometimes I have spots in front of my eyes now. Next I will need to play the game before I drink my Goslings Black Seal Rum. I know it won't be near as much fun though. lol.

#128 6 years ago

010.JPGI went with alternating white and blue flashers in the back used 1156 automotive led bulbs they arent as bright and the other led flashers and add nice color to the game008-32.JPG

Kinda hard to get some good pics of the flashers going off lol

1 week later
#129 6 years ago

Well I'm going to have to leave the club, sold mine today.

#130 6 years ago

Well you dont realy have to own one to be here lol
Its not a owners only club.

2 weeks later
#131 6 years ago

if the ball stuck on this place, we must make a gate like that, the holes are already made, I do not know why Williams d ont put a gate in factory and drill the hole... fete fanie 006.JPG

fete fanie 010.JPG fete fanie 009.JPG
#132 6 years ago

my swap is done!all insert removed,sanded,new sticker,finitech-3000 clearcoat.plastic set protector.

fete fanie 020.JPG fete fanie 024.JPG fete fanie 028.JPG fete fanie 032.JPG fete fanie 013.JPG fete fanie 017.JPG
#134 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

my swap is done!all insert removed,sanded,new sticker,finitech-3000 clearcoat.plastic set protector

Your F14 makes me look forward to doing my machine in the future, yours turned out pretty nice

#135 6 years ago

thanks! if cpr made a playfield for this machine he can sell a lot...

#136 6 years ago

Playfield looks excellent pinballfan!! My bro just picked-up his F14 over the Christmas holiday - I really enjoyed it, will have to add this to the collection sometime.

#137 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

thanks! if cpr made a playfield for this machine he can sell a lot...

I recall a post where Planetary made mention that they will have a repro playfield around Feb - have to wait and see...

BTW nice work on yours.

#138 6 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

if the ball stuck on this place, we must make a gate like that, the holes are already made, I do not know why Williams d ont put a gate in factory and drill the hole...

I just doubled up the rubber when that was happening. Problem solved.

#139 6 years ago

So this is a weird quirk: the "flight insurance" feature only seems to work on the last ball (ball 5 on my game, since that's the way they were in the good ol' days...). I've looked through the adjustments menu, and it's entirely possible that I'm just missing something, but I can't really tell what if anything I can do to change it so that it works on every ball. Plenty of times when you get a drain within 5 seconds that it would be nice to have that little reprieve...

Unrelated question: has anybody out there considered swapping out some of the lower playfield spot targets for banks of drop targets? It looks like the openings in the PF are the same size as the one on my PinBot's drop bank...seems like it might make those lower targets more compelling to shoot for. The upper area I wouldn't mess with as I think ths spots are part of how that setup works, but I wonder if drops were planned and then replaced as is so often the case in the design phase...

#140 6 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

So this is a weird quirk: the "flight insurance" feature only seems to work on the last ball (ball 5 on my game, since that's the way they were in the good ol' days...). I've looked through the adjustments menu, and it's entirely possible that I'm just missing something, but I can't really tell what if anything I can do to change it so that it works on every ball. Plenty of times when you get a drain within 5 seconds that it would be nice to have that little reprieve...

It only works on the last ball, you cannot set it to work on other balls. I looked into it when I got mine as well as my friends tend to drain instantly on this game.

#141 6 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

I recall a post where Planetary made mention that they will have a repro playfield around Feb - have to wait and see..

Yes. Repro playfields are coming.

#142 6 years ago

@practicalsteve: That's really weird. I believe you, but this is a quote from Steve Ritchie on IPDB:

"F-14 had a first-ever kickback device that fired the ball straight back at the flippers at very high speed, called the Jagov Kicker. F-14 was the first game with "Autosave", which meant the player could have the ball back if it drained prematurely [at the start of a ball], was shot down between the flippers by the Jagov Kicker, or drained during the onset of multiball, etc."

Seems like he at least *intended* for it to work the way we have come to expect on contemporary DMD games...or maybe it's just a case of faulty recall?

#143 6 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

F-14 had a first-ever kickback device that fired the ball straight back at the flippers at very high speed, called the Jagov Kicker. F-14 was the first game with "Autosave", which meant the player could have the ball back if it drained prematurely [at the start of a ball], was shot down between the flippers by the Jagov Kicker, or drained during the onset of multiball, etc."

hmmmmmm, maybe there is a feature adjustment I have not found that corrects this. I know there is an "easy" setting for the Yagov Kicker, maybe that turns the autosave on for a few seconds if you drain out of it? Maybe there are other settings for the multi ball as well.....

Ok I just went and double checked and this was what I found. Adjustment 40 is for the flight insurance threshold where it states that you can adjust the time it is lit, and that it is lit for the last ball only. But sethbenjamin was right as well. In adjustment 45 for the Yagov Kicker a couple of the easy options give you a free "insurance" or extra ball if it drains right out of it. Nothing about multi ball though.

#144 6 years ago

Cool, I'll check that out tomorrow. Would be nice to have a little bit of leeway during multiball, but then again, part of what makes the game so good is that it's really hard. If you clean up every time, it would get boring.

No word on drop targets? Somewhere along the line I saw that some people had done the same mod to Firepower, that's what put the idea in my head.

#145 6 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Yes. Repro playfields are coming.

Ben, start saving up yer quarters!!!

#146 6 years ago

what is Planetary ? he work with cpr?

2 weeks later
#147 6 years ago

Hey all. Bought an F-14 Tomcat as my first pin in November. Picked it up from Seattle Pinball Museum. What a fun machine! Now having a few problems I'm trying to figure out to start having fun again!

#148 6 years ago
Quoted from drsmooth:

Hey all. Bought an F-14 Tomcat as my first pin in November. Picked it up from Seattle Pinball Museum. What a fun machine! Now having a few problems I'm trying to figure out to start having fun again!

Tell us if you need help......

#149 6 years ago

These are some nice Tomcats. I'm thinking about adding LEDs to mine. Already has some in the backbox (guy I bought it from added them), but none on the playfield.

One thing that I've always had a problem with on my machine is the Yagov kicker. For some reason it gets caught in a loop and just keeps kicking over and over. Any idea what could be causing this? Right now I've just got it turned off, but I don't like having a signature feature of the game disabled.

#150 6 years ago
Quoted from RoachOverlord:

These are some nice Tomcats. I'm thinking about adding LEDs to mine. Already has some in the backbox (guy I bought it from added them), but none on the playfield.
One thing that I've always had a problem with on my machine is the Yagov kicker. For some reason it gets caught in a loop and just keeps kicking over and over. Any idea what could be causing this? Right now I've just got it turned off, but I don't like having a signature feature of the game disabled.

Diode on the switch may be cracked, switch may be bad or getting hung up on side of slot, bad transistor or driver chip.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 36.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 79.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
There are 4106 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 83.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside