(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,615 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 17 hours ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5342 (resized).jpeg
20240421_172524.jpg
20240421_172419.jpg
20240421_172459.jpg
20240421_172410.jpg
sample (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5330 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240421_191638_All PDF Reader (resized).jpg
20240420_160918.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
20240415_204854.jpg
2024-04-1520.55.50581660535718955564.jpg
IMG_5273 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

534 posts in this topic match your search for posts by GRUMPY. You are on page 2 of 3.
#3326 5 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Ok Grumpy, I finally did all these fixes, one of the coils Marcos sent me was bad so I had to wait for a replacement. While I was waiting I hooked up the new Rottendog board and replaced one of the diverter coils and the game was perfect other then the upper diverter not working of course. I just received the replacement coil on Friday hooked it up today and when I turn on the game the upper diverter coil fires right away and sticks on, so I quickly turned off the machine. I felt the coil and it was very hot even after only being fired for 10 seconds. What switch is causing this upper diverter to stay fired?

What was wrong with the coil that you sent back?

#3329 5 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

It was shorting, when I checked for resistance it said 0 on my Multi metre

Did you have this connected and then tested with the new cpu? If you did then you blew up the driver on the new board. This will be a very important learning lesson for everyone in the club, always test new parts before you install them.

#3332 5 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

I'll just stick to fixing my own machines instead of fucking up other people's from now own!

This really isn't your fault, someone sold you a defective new part. You took it on good faith that it was good and installed it and pop goes the mosfet.

#3333 5 years ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

Wouldn't this fuse have saved the driver on the board?

Fuses are there to stop the wiring from catching fire and nothing more.

#3336 5 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

grumpy would the 1 amp SB fuse inline that you talked about earlier save damage to the CPU?

Most likely no, when you have a dead short on a circuit that is switch by a transistor the amperage will climb past the transistors maximum current and or wattage limits in a few milliseconds and a SB fuse will not blow for @ a half a second. But what is important is that the 1 amp fuse would limit the damage to just the driver transistor and there will not be any board trace damage, so it will be a simple repair and look good as new if done properly. What you need to remember is that coils do not just short and this is not a typical problem, so the only safeguard from this is to test all new parts before installation.

1 week later
#3350 5 years ago
Quoted from apc7654:

All the switches in the trough work correctly.

How did you test these switches?

Quoted from apc7654:when I add a jumper (shown in red) from the coil's BLU-VIO wire to the flipper button's ORG- VIO wire, and push the button, both upper and lower right coils fire.

Take a pic of the cabinet switch showing the wires.

#3352 5 years ago
Quoted from apc7654:

All the switches registered.

With the balls removed, does any switches show in switch test?

#3355 5 years ago
Quoted from apc7654:

Lower right flipper does not fire when button is pushed

When you add the jumper like you did before and start a game. Without pushing the flipper button, if you lift the lower right flipper up does it stay up?

#3356 5 years ago
Quoted from miatawnt2b:

and I assume that that hold coil functions off of the same EOS switch since the 11722's don't have their own EOS switch.

All flippers need to have there own EOS switch or they will melt. The upper flippers don't have any switch matrix switches.
What does each winding measure in ohms on the lower right coil?

#3360 5 years ago
Quoted from apc7654:

First I want to apologize for providing the wrong picture of the previous jumper configuration along with the results.

This makes a lot more sense now.

Quoted from apc7654:Does somehow this BLU-VIO wire from the coil go thru the CPU board before it goes back to the switch on the cabinet?

I think it comes from the flipper power supply to the p/f coil then back to the back box on the same harness but then U turns down into the cabinet to the switch and then returns to the backbox to the cpu flipper relay and then to ground. I can check later on mine if you like.

#3361 5 years ago
Quoted from miatawnt2b:

6.2 on main coil, 176 on hold coil

Nothing wrong there.

2 months later
#3400 5 years ago
Quoted from statictrance:

the upper diverter coil is still locking on. I'd assume the lower one is too

flippers stay engaged the entire time

These problems are related to a bad U-50 chip.

Any recommendation between testing for values on bench vs. in game logic for next step?

If you have a power supply from an old computer and the means to make a connector for J-17, then testing on the workbench is much easier then in the backbox.

Anyone have any pictures of their special solenoid fuses added?

I cut the thinner wire on the coil about two inches from the coil and install one of these. It takes only a minute to install.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3402 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

I was starting to worry

No worries, I'm just crazy busy in the summer months.

#3406 5 years ago

Thank you again for all the help!

Play Ball!

#3408 5 years ago
Quoted from Soapman:

Need to do a final sand and polish

So shiny!

#3413 5 years ago
Quoted from johnnycruzr:

Well, answered my question.
Got it all put back together without diodes, went into switch test, and nothing blew up!
I'm now about 30 games in, and still working perfect!

Nothing will blow up, but when you have a switch stuck closed or a shorted diode you will then have random score problems every time the spinner switch
closes.

#3415 5 years ago

You don't have to redo the switch stack. Just remove the correct wire from the switch and solder the diode so that its real close to the switch. Then solder the wire real close to the diode. Then slide a piece of clear tubing over the wire and diode.

#3417 5 years ago

You said a bad word! ∆∆∆∆

#3423 5 years ago
Quoted from GoneFishinLvMsg:

My other option is to order the later display and move the connectors to the other side. Cheaper, but it'll void the warranty and I really don't like soldering on a brand new board.

You lost me here, why would you have to move any connectors?

#3425 5 years ago
Quoted from Murph74:

The 3rd player display isn't working either, but I haven't gotten to trouble shoot much beyond re-seating the connectors which didn't help.

Does display #1, #2 and #4 work 100% correct. If so the display glass is bad and needs to be replaced.

Quoted from Murph74:

The puzzle right now is, after a few hours tracing wires and testing continuity, we finally got our 28vac to the top relay/snubber board via the white/blue wires. Not sure if the issue is the relay board itself or the red/brown wires, but looking for advice on testing and further troubleshooting.

With the game on check the red wire for 30 volts dc. If this is good then take a jumper wire connected to the ground braid and touch the other end to the brown wire, this will turn on the the relay. The motor should turn and the 3 lights should light. A pic of your wiring in the back box maybe helpful too. After you confirm that the relay works like this I will help you troubleshoot the CPU solenoid test issue.

#3426 5 years ago

LEDs are farther back than the displays on the original board, which creates a big gap between them and the speaker panel. If you move the connectors and a capacitor to the other side you can bring the board closer.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/early-model-f-14-display-question

I have an example of both style of boards in my parts, as I was going to change mine to an early version to get the bottom lamps to light the speaker panel. Neither factory board has the connectors reversed. There are size differences in both height and width from early to late. So the holes in the panel are different size too and the mounting brackets. The factory mounting brackets hold the display off of the panel so the connectors don't touch. He just didn't have the correct brackets to convert it to the later style. If you want to run the later version you need to make a new panel wood with the correct size opening and use the later brackets.

#3437 5 years ago
Quoted from Murph74:

Is there any reason or way to confirm the display is toast?

If you put the game in display test and lock it on the the number "8" so that all segments and all digits are lit. Then use a volt meter set to dc volts and the black lead stuck under the ground braid, use the red lead and check each pin on display 4 glass and compare to each pin of display 3 glass. If they read @ the same then you will be certain that the glass has out gassed.

#3442 5 years ago

Use these for the outside pair. Leave these off if using led flashers.

Use these for the inside pair.

#3444 5 years ago
Quoted from darcangeloel:

What is the correct color for the beacons? I think its Red, Clear, Blue but some people think instead of clear it should be yellow and other have told me instead of clear it should be white. I bought clear as I already had red and blue.

In AMERICA its red, white and blue!

#3446 5 years ago

Mine is a bit more golden then yellow, but I want a new white one!

#3453 5 years ago
Quoted from StylesBitchly:

Red Yellow Blue Song

I swear I could feel my IQ dropping by the second.

1 month later
#3509 5 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

Gonna go this route

Let me know if you need some help.

3 weeks later
#3536 5 years ago
Quoted from TicTacSeth:

I have a disconnected green/yellow wire on the right target, which looks like it may go to the green/yellow leaving the same switch, so just want to confirm that. Then on the left switch, a loose black wire that likely bridges the two targets, just need to see where it attaches to the right.

Green/yellow connects to the green/yellow wire.
Black wire connects to the green/yellow wire also.

Quoted from TicTacSeth:

TOM targets, the O and the M targets don’t register. Once again, a disconnected wire. This one is a yellow. It looks like the O side is still attached, so need to see where to connect on the T switch.

Yellow wire connects to the green/violet wire on the T target.

1 week later
#3548 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Anyone source the belts for the topper beacons from local places verse buying online? I just had to take apart and repair my beacon motor and im missing the belts. Would a place like Ace hardware or something similar carry something that would work? Couldnt find the dimensions in the manual but a third party site lists their replacements as 7 x 1/4 x 1/4 each.
https://littleshopofgames.com/shop/parts-by-game/parts-by-game-bally-williams/parts-by-game-bally-williams-f14-tomcat/f14-tomcat-beacon-drive-belt-20-9543/
EDIT: looks like my NAPA has the #252 o-rings in stock that was referenced earlier in this thread, i will give it a shot and report back.

John Deere will have them to but at a higher cost.

4 weeks later
#3558 5 years ago
Quoted from h8breed01:

Joined the club! Now just just to read through the 72 pages and see if any one answered the question white topper or clear...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/69#post-4544892

I will save you some reading.

1 month later
#3576 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Totally stumped. Wiring is correct. Driver transistor is good. The diverter will fire when I ground the transistor. But it just won't work in test or game.

Use your logic probe on U-49 pin 1 and pin 2 in coil test. Do you have pulses? Yes, the check U-50 pin 1, do you have pulses? Yes, then replace Q-76. Let me know what you find.

#3578 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

It’s a Rottendog board. So that would be U11 pin 14. Tests solid low.

This is a normal off state for a RD board.

Quoted from kermit24:

The input side (pin 6) is solid high.

What happens when you briefly ground J-18 pin 8?

Quoted from kermit24:

I actually tried another System 11 board in there with the same result for the diverter.

Where was this board from originally? It wouldn't supprize me if it's from a F-14. From what you describe, both boards are damaged in a similar manner.

#3582 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

If I ground the transistor, the diverter coil fires.

This is not the same as j-18 pin 8.

If was originally in an F-14 also.

You will have to install this board and troubleshoot it too.

#3592 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

The Rottendog board has a bad PIA (U_11D) that was causing the upper diverter to not work. Rottendog is back operational. The other board will be troubleshooting in a High Speed. Multiple special soloniods don’t fire so I’ll get out the logic probe again.

This is because you put it in a High Speed machine. If you want to run a 11a board in a 11 game you need to add a jumper on the back of the board.

#3594 5 years ago

Does anyone know if they changed some of the lamps over to 555s at some point or did Cointaker just screw up?

They change early in production.

I tried put in a few of the LED flashlamps and about half of them stay lit all the time,

This is because one of the warming resistor is good and one of them is bad. If you are going to run led flasher you will need to remove the outside resistors from every resistor board or remove the black ground wires and insulate.

If someone wouldn't mind running a coil test and see if anything on the pf flashes during the coil test for Flasher 10, that would be helpful.

These were removed from the P/F so they wouldn't short out against the targets.

Yep!

#3597 5 years ago

Have you cleaned the contacts with a dollar bill and some alcohol? If that doesn't help, the gold layer of the contact maybe worn thru or has been removed from improper cleaning in the past. Since you can't find a replacement switch assembly you can replace just the contacts on your switch assembly with new contacts from PBR.

Contact-SM-X

CU-Contact

Switch Contacts

We offer Contacts for the blades listed above.

The CONTACT-SM-X are a silver alloy- gold flashed for EM/SS use.

The CU-CONTACT are tungstein face, copper backed for high current applications.

Contact-SM-X
CU-Contact

$0.36ea
$0.40ea

#3600 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:I get balls bouncing back from launch saucer. Is it non standard stop? Or the guid wire you think
[quoted image]

I'm not sure if you have a early production machine or that someone just installed two posts in place of the correct part. But it should look like this.
( Pic blatantly stolen from another Pinsider).

9ad8993bb140e9abb90d4add74e3dcb78e0da956 (resized).jpg9ad8993bb140e9abb90d4add74e3dcb78e0da956 (resized).jpg
#3602 5 years ago

I think this is the part you would need.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/01-6933

1 week later
#3618 5 years ago
Quoted from InfiniteLives:

Has anyone put LED flashers in the back panel?

Quoted from cletus:

Totally overwhelming and amazing!

Me TOO!

1 week later
#3636 5 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

3 coats of clear, the works.

Its so shiny!

1 week later
#3663 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

I assumed it was a fuse

You did check the single fuse holder next to the relay in the back box.

#3673 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Has anyone put a 23-850 on the pop bumper ? I rebuilt mine but it still seems so mellow..

You wont be able to tell the difference. A pop by itself is always going to be mellow.

#3675 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

Thanks. That saved me wasted time.

Add a high current driver, then change the pop power to 50 volts. That may wake it up a bit.

#3677 5 years ago

Not hard at all. I recommend switching the power from the divertors to the pop. This also solves the blacken CPU sindrome. Most games came with 75 volts on the divertors ( purple/yellow) which is too high and 25 volts (red/white) on the pop which is too low. If you buy a high current driver board you will have a clean install but will have to make two IDC connectors to finish the install. This will cost @ 35.00 dollars. This can also be done with a TIP 36 and 220 ohm resistor for @ 7.00 dollars, just not as pretty.

#3679 5 years ago

No links for this as I just do this for my own pins. But if people are interested I can do something with some pictures.

#3682 5 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Can someone tell me which direction the diode on the plumb bob tilt goes?

The white striped wire connects to the non banded side of the diode.

Can also be a bad diode to.

#3684 5 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Might account for why I was getting phantom tilts occasionally

This is more of a common problem then you know. SCR6 has been know for phantom tilting before.

#3685 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

When/if you get some time a couple photos would be great..?

You will need a 5 and a 6 pin .156 IDC connector and 2 key pins.

_High_Current_Driver_Board (resized).JPG_High_Current_Driver_Board (resized).JPG
#3687 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

That stuff I do have ..

Mount the board with J-2 facing the coil. Remove the wires and diode from the pop coil. Connect pins one and five of J-2 to the coil. Doesn't matter which way they go because the diode is on the driver board now. Connect the 75 volt purple/yellow wire to J-1 pin 5. Connect a ground wire to J-1 pin 1, this can be gotten from the ground of a near by snubber relay board or a ground from a resistor board. Lastly connect the blue/yellow that was connected to the pop coil to J-1 pin 4. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!!!

resistor board (resized).jpgresistor board (resized).jpgsnubber relay (resized).jpgsnubber relay (resized).jpg
#3689 5 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

where should I get the purple wire from?

On either side of the pop coil is the left and right center eject coils, both of these should have a purple/yellow power wire on them. Just add on to one of these.

1 week later
#3706 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Could be a bad solder joint that fails when hot / warm or it could be a bad driver transistor that doesn't like to be warm anymore.

Or chip.

2 weeks later
#3743 5 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Can anyone tell me which resistor board(s) is for lights 03C and 04C?

Does the 03c and 04c flash bulbs on the playfield work? They are tied together with the bulbs on the backboard. Are you using LEDs or standard bulbs in the backboard?

#3744 5 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

looking at the matrix on the 1st page of the manual, well, like any of the other matrices, they leave me scratching my head.

Lots of good info on this page.

solenoid table (resized).PNGsolenoid table (resized).PNG
#3748 5 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

and YES, those are working. I remember them working when we were playing yesterday.

Ok, then there is nothing wrong with the resistor boards. You either have a bad bulb in each socket, a bad lamp socket or bad wiring to those 2 bulbs.

Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

I did not see anactual flasher test, but I'm going to go thru the diagnostics again because there has to be.

These are considered solenoids and not lamps, so run the solenoid test from the menu and you will see them work.

Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Was I correct in the thought about continuity in the resistors?

Yes if it had been a bad resistor board you could have tested each resistor for ohms. The larger resistor should be 5 ohms and the smaller warming resistor should read 330 ohms.

Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

actually pulling that board like you said waderade812 was pretty easy. Unfortunately, the bulbs are good, and the traces look good.

Did you look for a cracked solder joint where the lamp socket connects to the PCB board. Also a lot of the time a bulb filament will look fine, but when power is applied the cracked filament opens up and the bulb doesn't work. Best to replace them with a know working bulb and retest.

#3751 5 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Flasher 07C nothing anywhere, but I recall a Service Bulletin about that, will check that out.

Left out by the factory. But it can be reconnected if you want to.

Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

it appears 03C is not working on the back board, or the playfield. Will check resisitor boards

Look for the flasher board with the black/orange wire, check the resistance of the larger resistor closer to the blk/org wire.

Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

And either 9 or 10 isn't working. 2 out of the 4 flashers begind the translite arent working.

The resistor board for these 4 bulbs is behind the insert board. Follow the wire from the pair of non working bulbs to the flasher board to see which side of the board you need to test the resistor on.

#3756 5 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

So, is there anything wrong with soldering leads with insulated quick connects to the board while on my bench, then just removing the wires one at a time from the old board, putting connectors on those wires, then installing the new board in its place and plugging it in?

Quick answer is no, but most people will not understand why and think this is a hack of some sort. I think you should try soldering directly to the board first, you may find it's not as hard as you think it is. This is a good board to try on as the traces are larger and not so delicate. Adding some solder to the wire and the iron first will stop you from needing a third hand while connecting the wire. Also buy some solder flux to make the solder flow better.

#3758 5 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Ok, I'll give it a try. The board is brand new, with just a tiny hole where the wires are going to go, so I think I should put a small glob of solder on those holes first.

Yep, then while it's hot insert the wire into the hole, then remove the soldering iron while holding the wire still until it cools down.

1 month later
#3782 4 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Not sure what it triggers. But it belongs there.**

It is the score switch for the left kicker. Switch #57.

Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Also, noticed the pancake resistors on both flipper buttons look like they are toast.

These are capacitors for reducing the arc across the switch contacts.

#3784 4 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Seemed Odd that the right sling doesnt have a score switch also.

It should. It's switch #58 and has a white/red and green/grey wires on it.

#3786 4 years ago

Those should go to Yagov coil on top of the playfield.

#3788 4 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Is there anything I should check to figure out why all my coils work (flipper buttons and slings too) anytime the machine is on?

I could use some more info on what you have done to the machine. Was there any alkaline damage to the CPU board?

3 weeks later
#3801 4 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Is it possible my beacons are pulling power away from that VUK coil somehow?

Beacons are 26 vac and the VUK coil is 50 volts dc. But the VUK coil is turned on by a snubber relay, this relay is powered by B+ which comes from the same winding that power the beacons. I would check the connector 6P1 in the cabinet for a poor connection on the red wires. Then I would remove the snubber and look for cracked solder joints.

trans (resized).PNGtrans (resized).PNGcracked pins (resized).jpgcracked pins (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3815 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

So that fuse is the purple wire that goes to the coils affected, and the top plug of the flipper power board. However all the flippers work just fine.

The fuse with the purple/yellow wire is for the 50 volt coils.

#3819 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Is that fuse a 2.5amp

Yes, 2.5 slow blow.

#3820 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I launch the ball and it just goes around the ramp to the 3rd spot and runs to that lower right lock...then another ball comes out into the shooter lane and does the same. So 2 balls in the lower right lock.

Check the switch in the lower right ball lock.

2 months later
#3878 4 years ago
Quoted from C0untDeM0net:

I'm still going thru the schematic but I think this path might be display related. Anyone know anything about these boards and what that section is doing?

This is the special solenoid section. The jumper is on special solenoid #3.

1 week later
#3904 4 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

Im curious what you guys who know what you're doing would do.

I'm not saying that I have tried this, but I would cut off the mounting bracket. Then I would solder on a piece of wire for each lead to the board. Then epoxy the socket to the board lining up the center pin to the hole in the board. Hold It straight until dry. Then solder the wires to the socket tabs.

#3919 4 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Are all your other test point voltages within range? I'd suggest you start a thread on this in the SS Tech section and you'll probably get Grumpy and some of the other Sys 11 gurus to help you out with it.

He installed the wrong transistor. He should have installed a 15030. I'm not sure what else is damaged too.

#3921 4 years ago
Quoted from Shabazz18:

Replaced shorted 6557 with new 15031

You should have used a MJE15030 not a MJE15031.
The power supply needs to be recapped too.
The next time you work on the power supply only connect this one connector. Then power on the game and check for the correct outputs on the power supply first before connecting the CPU board.
When done let us know what you got.

ps (resized).PNGps (resized).PNG
#3922 4 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

I got her up and running! I really appreciate it though.

Did the epoxy job work?

#3928 4 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

so I'm taking my original board, and am in the process of attaching the new #89 sockets on the board. Except rather than epoxy, I got a solid carbide drill, and am drilling mounting holes in the board, making sure I'm not anywhere near traces, and will ise the bracket thats on the socket.

Sounds good, post pics when done.

Playball!

#3936 4 years ago

When it stops working, check the 5 volts on the power supply and on the CPU board. You may have some cracked header pins.

#3949 4 years ago

It looks like the part that is broken is not the EOS switch but a lane change switch used for entering your initials on a high score.

Correct, but in the manual it is labeled as EOS switch. It's not a lane change switch either as High Speed does have lane change lamps. But order a lane change switch for your replacement part.

Also on the other error with the left sling. Reading up it looks like the switch under the playfield is the scoring switch

It is under the play field, all switch matrix switches will have a diode on it. The other pair of switches are to fire the coil and have nothing to do with scoring points.

What I don't understand is that error states the switch is not working but I tested both firing switches with a poker and each one is firing the sling. Apparently they are wired together and they are firing so I'm not sure what to look for

You need the find the third switch under the play field. The switch maybe out of adjustment, dirty, has a bad diode or a broken wire.

Is there a 4th switch I'm not seeing for the sling?

No just 3 for each sling.

#3951 4 years ago
Quoted from Shabazz18:

Installed correct transistor. I now have good 5vdc and -100vdc, but no +100vdc.

You need to test ZR1, ZR2, D-3 and Q-2.

#3954 4 years ago

You can use 1n4001 diodes for all switches and all lamps, but not for coils. Williams switched to the green coils to stop target damage. Proto and early games were all blue coils. Your call on switching or not.

#3957 4 years ago

Do the upper flippers register in the switch test generally?

No, they don't have a lane change switches just EOS switches.

The right flipper eos cleaning did not resolve.

You can clean low voltage switches such as the lane change or the sling score switch, however EOS switches are high voltage tungsten contacts and must be filed to renew the surface. Tungsten is very hard and takes quite a bit of time to file it smooth.

flip (resized).PNGflip (resized).PNG
#3960 4 years ago

Oh ok, so it probably is that broken switch that is causing the eos error on the right flipper.

Correct.

Sounds like the Tungsten switches may be ok. How do you know when they go bad?

When the contacts are too thin to file. Always readjust the EOS switch after filing.

#3969 4 years ago

What is the next thing to look at for a non-functional switch?

You adjusted it to be closed when the flipper is up.
It's open at rest.
Did you test the diode.

#3974 4 years ago

I think I have another switch that is not functional but I have not had a warning yet.

This switch will not give the warning as the other switch did. It isn't programmed to give warnings as it not used normally.

I'm not sure which tilt that is on the switch matrix.

I marked it for you (red circle).

I wonder if that could have something to do with the right eos not working.

They both share a same wire (green/red) I would follow this wire looking for a break.

f-14 (resized).PNGf-14 (resized).PNG
#3982 4 years ago

I'm just not sure what to check.

Put the game in display test. Lock it so that all displays show the number eight. Then compare the voltage readings from each pin on the good display #4 to the to the dead display #3. If they read the same then the glass has out gassed. If the readings are different, then there is a problem on the display driver board.

#3987 4 years ago

I hate to ask but I've been looking all night and I can't find it.

Take the black lead and stick it under the ground braid in the back box. Set meter to DC volts. Probe each pin with the red lead.

it looks like 9 and 13 are the common?

Nope, this is for the comma on the display.

As best I can tell it looks like display 3 and 4 share a common power source from u9 with u6 driving the display of 3 and u2 driving 4.

The white circle is the +90 volts (pins 6,34), the black diamond is the -100 volts (pins 7,31). All of the rest of the pins are data signals and strobe signals.

#3991 4 years ago

tested the pins and apart from two pins on display 4 that showed 0 voltage and 3 showing 2 volts all other pins were quite close in value

With the number 8 locked on the displays, there should be a least 15 signals going to each display. If 1 or 2 signals were wrong the display wouldn't be a completely blank display. Unless the missing signals were the +90.00 or the negative 100.00 volts. So if those 4 pins are good and some of the other pin look good you should have something on the display. If you do replace this display with an led and want to sell the old one, give me a PM. I use the parts to repair pins in my local area.

#3993 4 years ago

Your numbers are exactly what I would expect. #3 display is bad. If you want to keep things on budget you can buy a new glass for 75.00 dollars and sent both to me and I can repair it for you. You just pay the shipping.

#3995 4 years ago

I suck at searching on ebay

Big Daddy's Enterprises has nos displays for 73.00 each.

1 week later
#4026 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Where you unplug a plug and do a jumper test?

Unplug J-8 and J-10 from the CPU board. Then put the game back into switch test. You should see no switches show up on the display. If you do see switch numbers on the display you have a CPU problem.

#4032 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

but now it’s finding out why a random part of a column and a row are showing a different switch in test

Spend ten minutes and just look over all the lamp sockets, ensure that none have gotten bent into a switch blade or diode.
Look at all switch diodes and wires to ensure nothing is shorting out a diode and all switches are open.

#4034 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The dreaded long look ya

Post some pics so a bunch of eyes can look too.

1 week later
#4048 4 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Spoke with a board repair, he thinks switch row1 logic is blown on the cpu board, gotta get it worked on again.

http://web.archive.org/web/20180126193546/http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_System_9_-_11#Switch_Matrix_Row_and_Column_Testing

Do this first.

3 weeks later
#4060 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

I swapped all my flashers to leds and can’t seem to get them to work. I removed the warming resistors to make them not lock on, but now they don’t flash ever.
I Must have misunderstood how to get the led flashers to work or is something else up?

Take a pic of the resistor board.

#4063 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Ok, will do. The resisters are removed on every board and the wires going to them are untouched from original

You need to have R-2 and R-3 installed on every resistor board.

#4065 4 years ago
Quoted from jdoz2:

Oh
Thank you!

Playball!

3 weeks later
#4074 4 years ago

I've seen two different versions out there.

I like the pinscore better.

#4077 4 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

any ideas what the issues could be?

Check the outputs of the power supply.

#4079 4 years ago
Quoted from Clizifer:

would the outputs affect the speakers?

It might, but you may also have multiple issues.

3 weeks later
#4089 4 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

Has anyone seen anything like this? My inclination is to desolder one end and see what happens.

There is a break in the purple/yellow wire daisy chain, so someone added this yellow wire to supply power back to the purple/yellow.

#4092 4 years ago
Quoted from schwism:

Grumpy, bear with me since I’m new to the SS world. If I understand this I should be looking for a break in the purple/yellow path and repair that. I can see that what was done was a quick and dirty solution. Is that correct?

Correct. If you need more help with this just ask.

#4095 4 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Both of the left sling switches work just fine during switch test and during gameplay.

This is the coil activation switch that is working.

Quoted from FLASHBALL:

I get a switch error for my left sling every time I power on my game.

This is the sling score switch that is not working. It is under the play field. May need to be cleaned, adjusted, have the diode replaced or may have a broken wire.

#4097 4 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Still having my left kickback and Jagov kicker firing randomly during gameplay

Look for a bad diode on the snubber relays.

#4099 4 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Playing perfect now. Thanks for the guidance!

Playball!!

2 weeks later
#4113 4 years ago

Looks like the bottom half of my GI just stopped working.

How about checking the fuse?

#4115 4 years ago

I would have thought that a blown fuse would cause all of it to go out and not just half. I don't see two fuses in the diagrams for GI.

There are 4 fuses for the GI. 2 for the playfield and 2 for the backbox. I high lighted them in the pic. You must remove them to test them.

#4118 4 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Awesome highlighting job grumpy
JK

It's the best I can do, as I'm old and stupid.

#4123 4 years ago

Still no lights on the bottom playfield or bottom backbox.

You need a new fuse holder, so much corrosion.

f-144 (resized).PNGf-144 (resized).PNG
#4130 4 years ago

Thanks for the help on this Grumpy.

Playball!

#4140 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

What else can I check?

Test the diodes.

#4152 4 years ago
Quoted from Geteos:

Good call, they were bad. Replaced the two and now I'm in business. Thanks!

Playball!

1 month later
#4206 4 years ago

I had already done the standard flipper rebuild so is there anything else I should be looking at?

Adjust the EOS to have more closed contact pressure.

#4209 4 years ago

I tried that but it didn't change anything.

Hard to tell but that doesn't look like a new EOS switch. Are the contacts clean?

#4211 4 years ago

I tried cleaning this one with a fine metal file but that didn't change anything either.

The contacts are made of tungsten and require a lot of filing to clean the surface. You need to also file the cabinet switch contacts for this flipper too.

#4214 4 years ago

One of the contacts on the EOS switch is missing

That makes it harder to file.

Vid's guide says the EOS distance should be 3.2 mm.

Use this ^^ number, or 1/8 inch for English measuring folks.

#4219 4 years ago

Mine look like the picture and between the contacts is 1.5mm

As you have seen 1/16 inch gap will work fine while new. But as parts wear this small gap will quickly disappear and either melt the fuse or coil. Setting it to 1/8 inch should get you one million flips and then replace the EOS switch and repeat. Easiest way to set the gap is using a 1/8 drill bit as a measuring device.

#4225 4 years ago
Quoted from bonez0607:

I plan to take a closer look this weekend to see if there's a quick fix, but thought I'd see if anyone else had experienced this issue.

Check for the rubber grommet, is it missing?

#4233 4 years ago
Quoted from bonez0607:

grumpy grommet appears to be intact[quoted image][quoted image]

Then either the plunger is worn/ the incorrect part or apron wasn't installed correctly.

#4239 4 years ago
Quoted from bonez0607:

It covers just a bit of the copyright notice.

The tab of the apron isn't going into this bracket fully. Make sure that the tab isn't bent and the face of the apron that the ball rolls against is 90 degrees with the top of the apron. You should be able to read the copyright/logo plus some black paint below it too.

gg (resized).jpggg (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#4278 4 years ago
Quoted from fisherdaman:

Any other recommendations?

Did you check the fuse just above the board that f-2 is on. In your pic it's hiding behind the red, orange and black wires.

#4299 4 years ago
Quoted from KSUWildcatFan:

Is there any way to buy replacement 'tube' pieces for these Williams switches?

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7007-14A

#4302 4 years ago
Quoted from harig:

Is that behaviour normal on those machines?

No, rebuild the power supply and retest.

2 weeks later
#4336 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I bought the remake white beacon that’s available and didn’t like it so switched to clear. The white isn’t as translucent as the blue and red so didn’t match IMO. My game also had the beacon wiring modified from parallel to series to reduce the brightness, but I’m a glutton for punishment so converted back.

Do the rectifier/LEDs mod and put on the shades.

#4338 3 years ago

So I need to source a replacement... Someday.

I can help with this if you like.

#4342 3 years ago

A friend has a new white one he would sell.

#4368 3 years ago

but I don't see any that are blown.

Check the single fuse above the flipper power supply.

#4370 3 years ago

I pulled the fuse and nothing else broke so that's a good sign.

Best to replace both the holder and the fuse.

#4376 3 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

ok, i give up, i tried responding twice but its only showing the quote and not the response.

That's what happens when your gone for 2 weeks.

#4381 3 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Your soo right ! lol

You got it fixed!

#4395 3 years ago

I guess I have a coil or something that is shorted?

Most likely the bridge rectifier is bad.

#4397 3 years ago

Which bridge rectifier am I looking for?

Nope, this one.

How do you test these?

Disconnect the output connector. Replace the fuse with any size fuse under 5 amp just for a test. Power up the game and see if the fuse still blows. If it blows replace the bridge rectifier.

az (resized).jpgaz (resized).jpg
#4408 3 years ago
Quoted from ChrisPINk25:

grumpy is more of a Coke guy

Put them together, Coke and Bacon on the side. Mmmmmmm!

#4409 3 years ago

Hope he likes crappy, poorly adjusted games if he's coming here though

Just like home!

#4413 3 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

How big is the fish you caught in your photo

Just a pike, she was 42 inches. Right out of my back yard.

#4419 3 years ago

Playball!!

#4427 3 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Spinner broke off yesterday,... can’t seem to find a replacement.... don’t look like the original decal...
[quoted image]

You can either buy new, or drill the spot welds and open it up and make a new wire for it. Or lastly you can just epoxy it back together and put on some correct stickers.

1 month later
#4465 3 years ago
Quoted from Crash:

Now my question is, can I order the less expensive late model display

I have a early display I can sell you.

IMG_20200628_182920 (resized).jpgIMG_20200628_182920 (resized).jpg
#4468 3 years ago
Quoted from heni1977:

Socks optional?

At least they are clean.

3 weeks later
#4500 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Where should I start hunting?

You need to test the mosfets for the 50 volt coils, coils with the purple/yellow power wire.

#4506 3 years ago

Q-1 is fine, the 500 ohms is the flipper relay coil your reading. Q-12 is bad and controls the upper diverter coil special solenoid #5.

1 month later
#4547 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Just installed this coil 2 weeks ago and noticed it binding tonight. Coil sleeve was stuck, tried replacing it and can't get a new one in. Is this coil junk?
[quoted image]

Where do the 2 green wires go? There should only be 1 control wire.

#4550 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

They have those wires running to both sides of the eos. The eos broke so I figured I would replace the coil while there. I also noticed today that the wire broke off the yellow resistor (?). Would that cook the coil?
[quoted image][quoted image]

If the EOS broke, the coil would cook while you cradle the ball.

#4554 3 years ago
Quoted from bowtech:

Ok. Thanks. I have another coil coming and a capacitor in a rebuild kit. We will see how it goes.

When you replace a EOS switch, it needs to be adjusted so it has an 1/8 inch gap when the flipper is in the up position. New switches are not preset.

#4556 3 years ago

Vid1900 did a great post on rebuilding flippers, he covers adjusting EOS switches in this guide.

1 week later
#4569 3 years ago
Quoted from Brewchap:

#post-5860537

I got a spinner that works in the Switch and Edge test modes, but will not work in the game

Do you have the dip switch settings correct for Williams game on the Rottendog board?

#4574 3 years ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

OOoo, that must be the brand new revision of Rottendog System 11 MPU?

Yep the new system 9-11 board. I haven't used one yet.

Quoted from Brewchap:

Hi Grumpy! No I don't have any dip switches on this MPU.[quoted image]

Well if there is nothing wrong with the board then I would try new game ROMs. Does anyone around you have a set you can try.

#4580 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

any common problems

Blown out speaker?
Bad wire between speaker and sound board?
Bad molex connector?
Cracked header pin on the sound board?

#4582 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Cracked header pin for the win!

Playball!!

#4585 3 years ago

anyone out there ever retrofit a newer F-14 display to an early production speaker panel? have a customer with a display board that had some really gnarly 'work' done to it' and he wants to buy a replacement... but would obviously rather use the cheaper mass produced one. i know the model works, cause i tested my later model wms display in it' just the standoffs are different spaced.

I have a working one I would sell.

3 weeks later
#4607 3 years ago
Quoted from bonez0607:

Is this the expected result with the LED flashers?

No.

Disconnect the molex connector going to the 6 lamp flasher board on the back board. Then rerun the flasher test to see if they work correctly now.

#4609 3 years ago

You need to remove the flasher board from the backboard and check it for a short.

Quoted from bonez0607:

would you mind explaining why that works?

If the negative side of the bulb socket touches another negative side of another socket, then both will light when either bulb is turned on. The circuit board behind the backboard has #1 thru #6 flasher in close proximity to each other and very poor bulb sockets. Another thing to look at is the polarity of the wiring for the bulb sockets that are not operating correctly. For flashers #1 thru #8 the positive wire is orange and any other flashers the positive wire is red.

Post a pic of the 6 flasher circuit board so I can see whats going on with it.

lamp (resized).jpglamp (resized).jpg
#4613 3 years ago

Yes this flasher socket is wired backwards.

#4614 3 years ago

The trace that is common to all the lamp sockets is the power wire. If you remove all the lamps from the board and test from the power to each lamp control wire, it should read infinite ohms.

Now if you are going to install leds in this board you need to look at the sockets to see if they are install correctly with the center terminal on the power wire trace.

fff (resized).jpgfff (resized).jpg
#4616 3 years ago
Quoted from bonez0607:

Also confirming I’m reading center correctly..

Yes this is correct.

Quoted from bonez0607:

got 0L (infinity?) on the multimeter

Correct.

#4618 3 years ago
Quoted from bonez0607:

Appears the backboard flashers are backwards as well...[quoted image]

With incandescent bulbs the polarity doesn't matter. Williams didn't care how they were connected.

#4620 3 years ago
Quoted from bonez0607:

It looks like the lights are now behaving as they should

Playball!!

For more led madness!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-beacon-diy-step-down-voltage-regulator

#4622 3 years ago
Quoted from bonez0607:

Slowly building up the courage to take it on

Easy peasy lemon squeezy!

1 week later
#4638 3 years ago
Quoted from topkat:

After a year of being tired with how weak my pop was, I finally followed the post by Grumpy (#3670 ish).
If you like how the pop plays in this video from pinburg, that’s how changing the the voltage strengths it
https://pinballvideos.com/v/2317
I like the extra movement....

Is that your game they are playing?

#4642 3 years ago
Quoted from harig:

I have to dig out that old post:
grumpy: what do you mean by ´...solves the blacken CPU syndrom..´ - what is that issue exactly?

I was referring to the melted TIPs on the CPU from the diverter coils locking on.

#4644 3 years ago
Quoted from harig:

...due to the fact they are powered with 50V(75V) instead of 25V what would be sufficient in that use case?
Is that what you initially meant?

Correct, most games the dirverters were powered by 50 volts and controlled by a TIP122. 25 volts is sufficient for proper operation. I give a better explanation in this earlier post.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/65#post-4332895

1 week later
#4647 3 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

My spinner works in test mode but I get no effect when it spins during game play (including with 1K lit). Switch level test shows the spinner is off at rest. Switch edge test detects every spin. Can you suggest a way to debug and fix this?

When you are testing during a game, did you launch a ball with the shooter rod?

#4649 3 years ago
Quoted from clempo:

That was easy. Thanks.

Playball!

#4650 3 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Anyone have a write-up of how to do it with a Tip36 C and resistor? Perhaps a small diagram, with the correct color coded wires?

I could do this later if you like, would you want to buy a board that has all the parts installed or would you like to wire each separately.

#4664 3 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

I have one board that is missing one of the shorter block resistors

330 ohm, 7 watt.

3 weeks later
1 week later
#4712 3 years ago
Quoted from cletus:

It still needs more. I'd love to add something bright that flashes in the yagov kicker lane when it kicks back.

Add a 12 volt led strip of what ever color you like. Connect the wires to the relay that fires the Yagov kicker. Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

#4718 3 years ago
Quoted from Acreacher:

Thanks for the link to the chart it will be useful. I understand that the differences are diode and sleeves, is there anywhere that specifies what is on each of the dash numbers. I have read the https://www.pinballmedic.net/coilchart.html and he talks about a suffix or a dash number but never gets into a decoder that can be used to understand what sleeves and/or diode changes there are. The tech chart you referenced matches the manual with the exception of the right lane eject. After looking, the table in the manual that the tech chart is from doesn't match page 46 for location of the solenoids and flashers. I would like to make sure I have the right sleeves and/or diodes on the coils I replace.
Scott

Not sure if you are trying to do a 100% accurate restore or just a good rebuild. Here are some things to keep in mind.

On this game all coils get diodes, I use 1N4007 as they are better then originals and can be used anywhere a 1N400x diode is used.
There are only 2 special coils ( AL-26-1500) for the divertors. The rest are common AE-23-800 coils.
Most sleeves are standard type and length except for flange sleeves which are listed in the manual.
All flipper coils get 2 diodes and are FL11630 lower and FL11722 upper except proto games which have 4 FL11630.

#4722 3 years ago
Quoted from Acreacher:

So just to make sure I understand I can pretty much use any AE-23-800 coil as long as I have the correct sleeve for the location.

Yes.

Quoted from Acreacher:

Should I switch out the diodes before I install the new coil to be on the safe side.

As I stated I like using 1N4007 diodes on my pins, so I would cut off the diode, then test my new diode, then test my new coil, and then install it in the machine. I have seen bad new parts and it seems to be getting more frequent these days.

Quoted from Acreacher:

I am pretty sure I have a few diodes left from when I hooked up my coil

Always good to have some on hand.

Quoted from Acreacher:

BTW Grumpy you were a life saver in that instance.

No problem.

For most coils you need this sleeve. https://www.pinballlife.com/1-34-coil-sleeve.html

For coils that need flanged sleeves I use these. Then cut to the length needed. https://www.pinballlife.com/2-1116-flanged-coil-sleeve.html

For most flipper coils I use these. https://www.pinballlife.com/2-316-coil-sleeve.html

1 week later
#4730 3 years ago
Quoted from rx2006je:

I have a r-1 rom in the machine now and want to change to the L-1 release rom. If I do so will it reset the high scores.

No.

#4738 3 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Would you replace the diode‘s on the coil or the diode‘s on the switch. Or all of them.

There are no diodes on the switches for the flippers. I would replace both diodes on the coil to start.

#4741 3 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Mine does. I’ll check if it’s the eos switch or the always closed one.

How about posting a pic of the flipper switches.

#4743 3 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Replaced the diodes on the lower left coil which I suspected may be the issue. Still doing it. I’ll replace the rest. But can confirm the lower flippers have a diode on the switches.

Those switches are lane change switches and are used to put your name in for the high score and have nothing to do with the flippers. The inner switch is the EOS or end of stroke switch for cutting the high power coil winding off when cradling the ball so the coil doesn't melt. The flipper switches are mounted in the cabinet and have capacitors mounted to them.

Now since you are having issues when the left flipper is pressed you would also need to replace the upper left flipper diodes too.

#4747 3 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Would changing the diodes on the kicker and pop bumper coils be the next step?

Check the 5 volts on test point #1 on the power supply.

How about a pic of SCR 6 on the CPU board.

#4754 3 years ago
Quoted from Pauz21:

Test point one. 4.9vdc.

4.9 volts is border line, maybe you could have someone play a multiball while you watch this test point to see if it drops lower under hard play.

Your SRC6 may have been replaced, hard to tell, but still looks very old. SRCs have resistors and capacitors inside. Its a known problem for the capacitors to fail causing erroneous switch closures like tilts. So we have been replacing this part with one with out the capacitors.

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=4609X-101-102

1 month later
#4763 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

is this normal when certain things happen during

Yes, this a normal sequence of the GI lights. If you don't want it to happen then disconnect the 2 wire connector next to the GI connector on the power supply.

Otherwise I can show you a different place to connect to for 6.3 volts that is always on when the game is on.

#4766 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

I would gladly take another location rather than modify existing setup.
Thank you for your assistance

Do you have the tools to crimp molex pins?

#4768 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

I do not. Was hoping harbor freight had a cheapy but they don't appear to.

I can make you one if you want. Where does the mod end up at?

#4770 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

It's the 6.3v tap converting to dc power, plugged in to the outlet strip that powers the mod, where I need this wire setup.

How about a pic of the connector on the 6.3 volt tap that you are using so I can make you a new one.

#4772 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

I'm using alligator clips from a harness Joe made clipped on to the coin insert lights

This is what I need a pic of.

#4775 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Sorry. I was already in too deep to turn back.

I think you took the long way around the block on this one.

May I make a small suggestion?

#4777 3 years ago

If the service outlet inside the cabinet were to turn on and off, then you would be able to plug in the power supply directly to the service outlet and do away without all the other stuff.

#4780 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

In my mind the only way to control the service outlet is to add an additional switch either exterior or interior.

Not so! If you are willing to unsolder a single wire and resolder it to a new spot, the service outlet will turn off and on with the factory on/off switch. No more opening of the coin door at all, no alligator clips, no power strips, no of that stuff.

#4781 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

This will work and accomplish everything you suggested.

True but not automatically.

#4783 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

Oh yeah, there's that way too.

So do you want to move this wire or use your remote AC socket?

#4786 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

If that is the same and saves you the time of re explaining this to me

It is the same principle, but the pictures were from a newer WPC game. If you want to do this just unplug your machine, unscrew the power box from the cabinet. Turn the power box over and snap a pic. I will show which wire to disconnect and where to reconnect it to.

Quoted from mikepmcs:

Thank you again for all your help.

Us veterans got to stick together! Semper Fi

#4788 3 years ago
Quoted from mikepmcs:

When I install my pinstadiums in the near future

Since you like to mod your F-14, and you want some pin stadiums for some more flash, maybe you should save some money and read this thread.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-flashers-not-working/page/2#post-2882054

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-tomcat-beacon-diy-step-down-voltage-regulator#post-3007261

#4791 3 years ago

UNPLUG THE MACHINE FIRST!

The service outlet black wire (yellow arrow) goes up to the fuse input terminal (red arrow) as does the 120 volt input. Unsolder the one black wire that comes from the service outlet at the fuse terminal. Leave the other black wire intact. Then crimp on a butt connector and @ 16 inches of 14 gauge black stranded wire to the service outlet wire that you removed from the fuse holder. Then poke this new wire out of the box at the green arrow. You will need to cut the zip ties off of the wires going to the on/off switch. Follow the original (constant power) black wire that comes out of the power box down to the switch, you are going to solder the new black wire to the (switched power) other black wire on the on/off switch. Add some new wire ties to hold the new wire to the old wires. Reinstall the red switch cover and screw the power box back in place. Plug in game and test the service outlet, it should be dead now. Turn on the game and the service outlet should be on now. Enjoy.

ccc (resized).jpgccc (resized).jpgpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngddd (resized).jpgddd (resized).jpg
1 week later
#4794 3 years ago

Sound board makes certain sounds, cpu makes certain sounds. First you need to find out which sounds are missing by doing the sound test.

#4803 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

11 and 13 are the same?

These are not the same, #11 is the song Anchors away, #13 is a clipped version of the beginning of Anchors away and a ending sound. You just need to listen to the sound longer to hear the difference.

Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Sound test skips 8 and 9

First 8 sounds from the CPU are labeled #0-#7, the next 8 sounds from the sound board are labeled #10-#17.

Quoted from FLASHBALL:

15 doesnt make a sound

This is your problem, there should be a sound heard for #15. Can be a lot of different things that are causing this issue, like bad ribbon cable, bad sound roms chips, bad pia chip, bad src resistor pack, cracked header pin solder, bad chip socket.

You could start by reversing both ends of the ribbon cable, retest, is the issue the same or not?

#4806 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Some of the caps look a little old

Old caps may stop all the sounds or make the sounds sound a bit off, but not affect only one sound.

Next you should see if your cpu is sending a trigger for sound #15 to the sound board.

#4808 3 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Will I need a logic probe to check this?

Yep.

2 months later
#4840 2 years ago
Quoted from raplaka75:

Yeah I did swap out a different mount & lamp and it was the same results

Test the diode that is connected to the lamp. If the diode is open both directions it is bad. Then replace it.

1 month later
#4890 2 years ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Seems that was likely the case, behind the MPU was evidence of previous extreme damage at the special solenoid drive transistors.
[quoted image]
I replaced the vairstor and tried power, both diverters locked on.
I pulled the MPU today and found the 2 diverter transistors were shorted. Installed 2 new tip102s in their place and popped the board back in. This time the lower diverter locked on. I probed the drive chip at U50 and sure enough its bad.
Tomorrow's project will be to remove U50(7402) socket, and replace.
[quoted image]
Hopefully this will get it back up and running again for my friend.

You should have replaced the predrivers too, and then tested.

2 weeks later
#4904 2 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

All playfield flashers are working. It’s just the three rotating topper strobes that aren’t working.

There is a fuse for just those lights and motor in the back box.

5 months later
#5006 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Can somebody explain to me how the snubber board system works?

The transistor on the CPU is not powerful enough to drive a 50 volt 23/800 coil. It will smoke! So Williams had the transistor turn on a snubber board which turns on the 50 volt coil.

A snubber board has a relay and a resistor/cap to suppress the spikes that happen when a coil fires.

Quoted from desertT1:

I am not getting any coils, and maybe no flashers as well

Flashers are not tied to the snubber boards, they are tied to the A/C relay and resistor boards. You have no power on the orange flasher wire because the A/C relay is in the A side for coils and not in the C side for flashers.

Quoted from desertT1:

I have 35V on the 28V and DRV tabs on the snubber boards, but 0V on the coils

You have a burnt fuse in the back box, this fuse powers all 50 volt coils.

#5008 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Since I have power at the fuse and the shooter lane coil works but seems to have it’s own ground I am guessing I am looking for a loose wire in the daisy chain of the items circled in white?

You either have a break on the 50 volt violet/yellow wire or you have a break on the 24 volt red/white wire on the snubber relays. Easy way to tell which is to put in coil test for one of the non working coils, then see if the relay is clicking.

#5016 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Anyone powder coat their wireforms? Maybe gloss black.

Flat black or grey would go with the military theme.

1 week later
#5018 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Squeaky beacons… anyone know how to fix?

Try a drop of CLP on each reflector shaft bushing.

#5022 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Where has this stuff been all my life? Curious what else it is good for

Cleaning and lubricating you gun of choice.

1 month later
#5066 2 years ago
Quoted from A1k71:

What do you think of the results?

Why did you stop there? Why not have them interact with the game?

1 week later
#5070 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

How could that be done?

Lets say you put a RGBW strip down each side of the bottom cabinet and you connect the positive wire from the strips to the red/white wire on the kicker coil. Then you can could connect a wire and diode to the driver terminal of a resistor board and the color of the strip you want to light. For example you could connect the R on the led strip to the solenoid #4 black/yellow driver terminal on the resistor board. The W on the led strip to solenoid #5 black/green driver terminal on the resistor board. And the B on the led strip to solenoid #6 black/blue driver terminal wire on the resistor board. On each of these wires add a diode with the band facing toward the resistor board driver terminal. Now when the game does the red/white/blue flasher sequence, the leds underneath will light red/white/blue also. Now after that you could hook another wire to the red and to the blue on the led strip, then add a diode on the end of each wire with the band facing away from the led strip, connect the other ends of the diode together and connect it the solenoid #8 black/grey driver terminal of the resistor board. Now when solenoid #8 lights it will give you both red and blue led strips together, this will be purple now. You can do any combination of colors you like, to any solenoid you like. I hope that make sense.

#5072 2 years ago
Quoted from Vahalas:

I’m running I to some problems with my beacons (the 4a sb fuse keeps blowing) and was hoping someone might know where to start the diagnostics.
* Everything was working fine prior to today.
* To start diagnosing I unplugged the motor so only the lights trigger when necessary. I started a game and locked all the balls and saw that the beacon lights were lit (for about a minute). After that they went out because the fuse blew.
* I checked the voltage at the fuse clip and it looks like it was around 16v when the beacons would have been active.
I ran out of 4amp sb fuses or I would have repeated the test with just the motor
Is it possible the beacon lamp sockets went bad and are drawing too many amps?
Thanks for any help!

Remove the 3 bulbs. Verifiy if they are the correct bulbs. Look at the filaments to make sure they are not melted causing a short. Do an ohm test on the two wires going to the bulbs. It should be an open circuit, if you read some continuity then you have a bad socket or something metalic has gotten into the socket causing a short.

#5075 2 years ago
Quoted from Vahalas:

Thanks to you both for the suggestions. I went ahead and pulled the assembly, removed all the bulbs, and tested each socket for continuity. Every socket had continuity from the center to the side of the socket, (and even to the bracket itself!) so it looks like every one went bad!
I’m guessing the insulator “rings” on the sockets finally dried up/went bad. Having it happen all at once seems odd but they’re all the same age.
Any way to salvage these by replacing the insulators? (Using some compressed air didn’t magically fix anything ).
I’m not opposed to trying to replace the sockets with something equivalent that operates using LED flashers if I have to (my game is definitely a player’s condition game). However, I would like to salvage as much of the original assembly as possible.

I don't think all 3 sockets are bad. They are wired in parallel and if one socket is shorted, all the sockets will seem shorted. Remove one wire from each socket and retest to find the bad one.

1 month later
#5084 1 year ago
Quoted from baltistyle:

Forgot to add that when jumpering the transistor, the pop bumper activates.

This means your problem is on the CPU board.

Quoted from baltistyle:

beacons spin but do not flash.

The bulbs are burnt out or a broken wire going up to the lamp sockets.

Quoted from baltistyle:

Resistor R94 that is connected to the center leg of the transistor driver gives tone during continuity on the board

Continuity to what? R-94 isn't the problem.

#5089 1 year ago

baltistyle Per the bulbs, they are not burnt out and bulbs were switched to test. The blue and white and white wire had been cut by a PO. I had reattached theses. I think this is due to the signal not going to the flashers from the cpu.

The motor and the 3 bulbs are turned on together from the relay board in the back box. Since the motor works, then the bulbs should also work uless you have a bad bulb or socket or bad wires.

What I cannot figure out is why there is continuity from the ground to the center leg of the transistor driver of that jet bumper

Cut the transistor off and retest for continuity. This will give you a better idea of which way to go.

#5091 1 year ago
Quoted from baltistyle:

Even after removing the transistor driver, transitor and resistor, there is continuity to the center hole in the pcb.

This points you toward the NOR chip.

Also when you replace the driver transistor you always replace the predriver transistor and the coil diode as a set.

#5094 1 year ago
Quoted from baltistyle:

Thank you. I will have to look that up but I think I know which you mean. Those parts were all replaced and are new together. The coil fires when jumped (not sure but I thought that still uses the coil diode.

The diode is to block voltage spikes going back on the power wire and causing damage to electronic components. Test firing coils by using a jumper to ground doesn't confirm that the diode is working correctly. Since they cost @ .07 cents I change them when a coil locks on as a set with the transistors.

#5098 1 year ago
Quoted from baltistyle:

have them on hand. will do. (will a 4001 suffice?
am I looking to replace u45 or u50 do you think?

No, you will need to have a 1n4003 or better.

1 week later
#5105 1 year ago
Quoted from Krmnnghia:

Could use some assistance on a possible purchase of a Tomcat tomorrow morning. Guy is asking $1000 and says it lights up but has a "missing ball error".
It looks fairly clean in the somewhat blurry pics i have seen. This would be my first Williams so any advice you could give would be super helpful. Seeing as these are going for the mid $2000's I think, $1000 may be steep for a non working machine. I know to check the main board around the battery area for leakage and board damage. Anything else specifically that would end up being very expensive for me later if I don't catch it before buying?
Is there a price I should be aiming for? Not a ton for sale on the site so hard to gauge. Thanks!

BUY IT!

1 month later
#5148 1 year ago
Quoted from NPO:

Nice!! Forgive my lack of knowledge: the stock motor runs off of VAC?

Yep, and so does the lamps.

#5151 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballboy:

Ok so I tested to see if power was getting to it there is no power, it has a brand new tested fuse and the relay seems to be working, is there a transistor it’s connected to that’s bad?

Then check the white/blue wires for ac power during solenoid test.

1 week later
#5155 1 year ago
Quoted from Kallek:

My next step will be also replacing the U49, would you guys agree

Yep.

#5158 1 year ago
Quoted from Homeslice666:

I'm having a small issue with a bulb mod and I'm stumped.
Converted beacons to 12V. I wasn't super impressed with Comet's 13SMD towers since they're a bit short.
I bought 12V 3 watt 80 SMD tower bulbs off Amazon. They fit the beacons much better since they are longer. They do not illuminate in the beacons at all but light fine in the backbox flasher circuit. That circuit still is all incandescent and has the warming resistors.
I'm not sure why they aren't working. If anyone has any ideas, let me know. Other than "they're random Amazon LEDs" of course!
amazon.com link »

So you added a bridge rectifier to the circuit? If yes then you're new LEDs are polarity sensitive and you need to reverse the positive and negative wires on the bridge rectifier.

#5162 1 year ago

I'm going to reverse the wires at the socket.

I would reverse the wire on the lights connector on the board.

Do my Comet LEDs have reverse polarity or are they not polarity sensitive?

They are not polarity sensitive.

#5163 1 year ago

I may change the resistor value if I can remember Ohms law.

It wont make that much of a difference with a led.

#5170 1 year ago
Quoted from Kallek:

Any suggestions? CPU?

Quoted from Kallek:

I also probed the U49 and all I get is hi’s except for the Vvc and ground which are low.

VCC, pin 14 needs to be a high, retest this since you replaced the chip.

#5176 1 year ago

I think you mean pin #6 = HI

Quoted from Kallek:

The resistors R103 and R109 are shorted to ground on each side but the resistors on the other coils such as R94, R100, R106 and R97 does show resistance on the lower leg, aprox .400 in diode test.

You are not testing the resistors correctly. Since you are using a logic probe to test the chip outputs, test both sides of the resistor with your logic probe.

Quoted from Kallek:

but they don’t react in coil test or in game mode. The coils are fireing when grounding the TIPs

So now you need to place the game in solenoid test and lock it on one of the diverters. Use your logic probe and test U-50 inputs and outputs for the circuit you are testing. Then test the base leg of the driver transistors. Let me know what you get.

#5177 1 year ago
Quoted from Charles_Kline:

My F-14 is missing the W speaker grills, someone installed bare perf steel. Does anyone have a set of W Speaker grills?
[quoted image]

Paint them black. Make a stencil of the Williams logo and give the grill a light coat of red paint.

#5179 1 year ago

Anyone running LED playfield flashers?

Yep. Love it.

3 weeks later
#5191 1 year ago
Quoted from Kallek:

Yes! Forgot one. In attract mode U50 shows
Pin
1 LO
2 HI
3 HI
4 LO
5 HI
6 HI
7 LO
8 HI
9 HI
10 LO
11 HI
12 LO
13 LO
14 HI

This is correct.

1 week later
#5214 1 year ago
Quoted from Kallek:

Great - have you seen the post #5184? Still having issues…

The attract mode inputs/outputs of U-50 are good, but your solenoid test shows that the outputs of U-50 are not pulsing in sync with the inputs.

The question is..... is U-50 bad or are the pull up resistors R-109/ R-103 bad. Most likely both resistors wont be bad at the same time.

U-50 (resized).PNGU-50 (resized).PNG
1 month later
#5242 1 year ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

Thanks for any help on fixing this. First pin, been a blast, but a few hiccups here and there

Read the manual, learn how to use the diagnostic tests.

Place game in switch test and then use the ball to test each switch. When doing a switch test wait for a least 3 confirmations on the display for only the single switch you are testing. Also remove all balls from game during the test. Do this and let us know what you get.

#5246 1 year ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

Switch Edge Test and placing balls into the "Locks" - R Center EJECT 06-23 L Center EJECT 06-22 Right Eject 06-21

Since this is switch edge test it is telling you the switch is working, but these types of switches need keep the switch activated when the ball is in the lock. So you should be using switch levels test instead, then when you place the ball into the lock it will show the switch on the display and repeat the same switch as long as the ball remains in place. If it only appears once then the ball is not holding the switch down correctly and the game will lose track of the ball and need to do a ball search to find it.

#5249 1 year ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

OK. So the Switch test that has the two "codes" that go back and forth incessantly between "TOP RT 05-48 SPINNER" And "SLAM 05-07 TILT" also confirmed the same switches were working in the locks through 3+ cycles. Of course, that is after the "TOP RT 05-48 SPINNER" And "SLAM 05-07 TILT" come up each cycle, then it singly confirms the L or R Center Ejects when ball is holding down the switch. Only to repeat the cycle.

The slam tilt is located on the inside of the coin door. Make sure its contacts are open. Same goes for the spinner switch, its contacts should be open. If both of these switches are open, then they should not show up during the test. If indeed they are open and still show up during the test then you may have a CPU issue. There was issues with SRC-6 that cause tilts during game play for no reason.

#5260 1 year ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Occasionally my background music will dissappear. Then re-appear at the start of a new game. I know this game has sound trouble if you start a game before the famous "bong" startup sound. This is not my issue. Its happening after the game has been on for a while. The bigdaddy capacitor kit for a sys11 sound board is only 17$... Should I shotgun and throw new capacitors in?
Or does anyone else have any ideas?

Starting at the sound board is a good idea. Most likely they need replacement anyway. No change, then do the caps on the CPU board.

1 month later
#5285 1 year ago
Quoted from Runnersamboy:

Installed anyPIN DMD+NVRAM F14 TOMCAT and when I power up nothing going on...help![quoted image]

You used the wrong chip, this chip can be used on later versions of system 11 CPUs.

ram (resized).PNGram (resized).PNG
#5288 1 year ago
Quoted from KingBW:

Any ideas what the issue is? GRUMPY?

These 4 lamps are on the same column, yellow/grey wire. I would look at the yellow/grey jumper wire on the 2nd and 3rd lamp sockets for a break.

#5292 1 year ago

The yellow jumper between lamp #2 and #3 needs to be replaced. It is broken internally.

jumper wire (resized).jpgjumper wire (resized).jpg
#5295 1 year ago
Quoted from TheClownpuncher:

I have a question that is probably obvious to you all but I can't figure it out.
How do I identify which snubber drives which solenoid? I'm having trouble with both the A and C side of Solenoid 6 and I don't hear clicking or anything between them. It seems to be the only one where everything is dead. I've already removed, tested and rebuilt all of the resistance boards so I think it's either a Snubber or one of the transistors on the CPU.
The other problem I'm having is the slings and pop are real weak. Not snappy at all like they are in other games I've owned.
Thanks in advance for any advice/training you can give.

Since both A and C side for solenoid #6 are not working, I would briefly ground the correct transistor metal tab to see if the snubber relay and coil work. If the snubber clicks or the coil fires then the wiring to the play field is good and you need to look at the cpu board. If you do not know how to ground a transistor or don't know how to find the correct transistor just let me know.

#5298 1 year ago

I haven't looked at the board yet, hopefully they are marked on there because the manual map/diagram is quite blurred when looking at transistors.

Here is a better pic and I highlighted the predriver transistor Q-19 and the driver transistor Q-23. The driver transistor is the larger of the two and has a metal back for heat dissipation. The metal is also tied to the collector lead internally. When working correctly the collector lead will go to ground potential when the cpu activates this circuit. You can fake this activation by using a jumper wire with clips, you connect one clip to ground (the ground braid in the back box or the metal back plane that the circuit boards are screwed to) and briefly touch to other clip to the metal tab on top of the driver transistor. When you do this you should hear the knocker pop each time you make contact with the jumper. If this works then you have a cpu board issue, if not then you have a wiring issue. Let me know what you find.

cpu (resized).PNGcpu (resized).PNGpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5301 1 year ago

Sorry it took me a couple of days to get to this. I grounded it and got nothing. Just to be sure I was doing it correctly, I did a couple of others and it worked on them. I tried it with the game on and in attract mode (which the knocker should have fired) and after starting a game (which a flasher should have lit) Didn't get anything.
So, I'm thinking, as you said, it's down in the playfield. I'd like to check the relay snubber board as I read there are problems with those but I just can't figure out which one is for #6.

OK, so there isn't a snubber relay for solenoid #6. Also starting a game and grounding the driver transistor will not light the flashers, it should have fired the knocker again. For the flashers to work you would have needed to ground the transistor for the A/C relay and the transistor for solenoid #6 at the same time.

Now to fix your issue, remove 1J-11 connector from the cpu board, find the grey/blue wire on this connector. Does it look damaged at the connection point or loose? If good then turn on the game and use you jumper connected to ground and touch it to the grey/blue wire. Does the knocker fire? If your jumper is too big to make contact with the metal on either side of the wire in the connector then get a paper clip and clip the jumper to the paper clip and use the end of the paper clip to touch the connector. If you still are not hearing the knocker, look to the upper right corner of the back box and see if both wires are still connected to the knocker coil. See if the plunger moves freely. Use a DMM set to DC volts and place the black test lead under the ground braid, use the red test lead and check both lugs of the coil for voltage. What did you read on each one?

1 week later
#5310 1 year ago

I fully removed it and grounded it and the knocker fired as advertised.

You got this now!

Playball!!

#5311 1 year ago

Can anyone guess as to why my high scores keep resetting?

Could the high score reset switch be stuck closed.

#5315 1 year ago

The orange wire(s) on the center fixture are a ground and attached to all the flasher fixtures elsewhere on the playfield.

The orange wires are C side 24 volt DC power.

My only question is the red wires on the ground lug of the left.

The red wire are 24 volts DC that is constant on.

The white striped wires are the ground wires.

So the yellow wire should be connected to the red wires to jumper power to the right lamp socket. Then the white wire that is not connected needs to go to the other lug on the lamp socket.

Remember someone disconnected this for a reason, so some testing maybe needed first.

2 weeks later
#5330 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Adding in the missing flashers on a later run. Followed the old video and used Vid’s guide too but they’re still not working. Can’t really see date but assume this is a later run as no wires were present. Even the cement resistor was never installed but installed one. Machine has all incandescent flashers.
Any thoughts of what I chair I’d be looking at?

Doesn't matter what the date is. Start with the basics. You should have power at the bulbs when the a/c relay is on. Use a voltmeter and check the power while you have the game on a/c coil test. The power should pulse on and off. If good then go to the resistor board and jumper the ground wire to the resistor lead, the bulb should pulse. Let me know what you get

#5333 1 year ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I was hoping you’d chime in Grumpy! I asked about age in case there was a software difference that doesn’t support it or something. I get no voltage at the bulbs.

So snap a pic of the wire you added to the A/C relay to power the bulbs.

#5336 1 year ago

Use a jumper and ground Q-7 transistor metal tab. Then test for power at the new bulbs on the brown/black wire.

#5338 1 year ago

Well your connections could be an issue or you have a bad wire.

#5341 1 year ago
Quoted from Bman:

Hello all, I recently picked up a F-14 and there are a couple wires under the playfield I can't seem to find in the manual. There is an orange wire that is spliced together on the left and right side under the playfield and a white/violet wire on the left and the white/violet wire is spliced on the right side. It is the long violet marking not the short one that I would expect on the switch matrix 1J10-2. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
I have the relay hanging down as I was checking a few things on it, so it will be re-mounted up under the playfield shortly.
Thanks in advance.[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks like solenoid #7 was disconnected. Check this out.

https://www.ipdb.org/files/804/Williams_1987_F_14_Tomcat_Service_Bulletin_41.pdf

1 week later
#5354 1 year ago
Quoted from HydrogenHuman:

It also had no spacers, which was throwing it off balance and grinding the light against the beacon.

The spacers can be made from any kind of tubing that fits over the screws, cut to length. 13/16 inches long.

3 weeks later
#5363 1 year ago
Quoted from Pike614:

Suddenly lost sounds 2,3,4 and 6 and 7 on the F14. During the testing mode, sounds can barely be heard if I turn volume to the max. Research suggests that my op-amps might be failing. Anyone have experience with this? Roms are all good and cables have been reseated to make sure food connections.

Very common problem as these boards age. Replace the op-amps on the cpu and retest. You may want to replace the electrolytic caps too since the board is out.

#5365 1 year ago
Quoted from Pike614:

Is there a picture as to which are the op-amps? I tries to read the schematics in the manual but print is too small.

u4 u5 (resized).pngu4 u5 (resized).png
#5370 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

If a transistor controls multiple flashers, and one of the bulbs is dead, will that cause all of the flashers to stop working?

Depends on the game, on F-14 bulbs are in parallel so if one bulb dies the rest will keep on working.

#5373 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

That means I either have an issue with the wiring, or one of the resistor boards under the playfield.

Also it could be a diode on the diode board.

#5375 1 year ago
Quoted from topkat:

Are those the resistors that look like a small plastic pipe?

Look at the big resistors on this type of board.

1 week later
#5381 1 year ago
Quoted from Shark875:

Just picked up a F14, needs some major love I am going to start breaking it down and cleaning it, replacing broken parts ect, Everything seems to be working fairly well, only issue I have is the (pop bumper) Launch is not working properly, when the ball goes into it, the machine stalls for 30+ seconds, I think the game is searching for the ball I am guessing before it pops it out. anyone ever encountered this issue? I posted some photos before I have touched anything, I'll send some more once the work begins.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Check and see if the switch is regestering in switch test when you shoot the ball into the ball poper.

1 week later
#5392 1 year ago

The vast majority of solenoids aren't working.

Why? Did you check for voltage at the non working solenoids?

Also, I noticed this...err...repair?. .

It's not a good looking repair, but it would work and they didn't have to remove the board to do it.

#5394 1 year ago

0.8V, pretty much on all of them.

Did you check for voltage at 3J3 pins 6,7,8?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
534 posts in this topic match your search for posts by GRUMPY. You are on page 2 of 3.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider GRUMPY.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/2?tu=GRUMPY and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.