(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,615 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 hours ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5342 (resized).jpeg
20240421_172524.jpg
20240421_172419.jpg
20240421_172459.jpg
20240421_172410.jpg
sample (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5330 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240421_191638_All PDF Reader (resized).jpg
20240420_160918.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
20240415_204854.jpg
2024-04-1520.55.50581660535718955564.jpg
IMG_5273 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 113.
#1001 9 years ago

Red White and Blue flasher lamps. Finally!

IMG_4249.JPGIMG_4249.JPG
#1002 9 years ago
Quoted from kilmarnock1350:

Zippy, where did you put the Flex LEDs?? I can only see the 4 LEDs installed between TOMCAT.

those are flex led's, hard to tell in the pic, but they are angled towards the pop bumper

#1003 9 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

those are flex led's, hard to tell in the pic, but they are angled towards the pop bumper

Aren't they hard on the eyes? just curious. Going to put some in mine, assumed I'd use the standard coin taker frosted...

thoughts?

#1004 9 years ago

Some have mentioned it's a lamp matrix issue, some have mentioned using non-ghosting LEDs.
Are coin taker non-ghosting LEDs the same brightness as the regular super bright?
Thoughts appreciated on how ya'll solved this problem. It's ANNOYING!

I used Cointaker premiums (non-ghosting) in my F-14 and have no problems with inserts ghosting. When I used the CT regulars/supers in Taxi's inserts - very bad ghosting. I could have bought premiums, but instead I decided to just put regular incandescent bulbs back in that game. The premiums are a brighter, for sure.

#1005 9 years ago

Aren't they hard on the eyes? just curious.

That's why I used Flex LED's, so I could angle them away from my eyes.

#1006 9 years ago

Shopping my F-14 now. Looking for a couple of plastics.
1. 554-22 LITES FLYBY------down by flippers
2. 554-12-----has 3 cutouts for red-white-and blue flashers
If you have some of the various clear ones that are not yellowed too bad available, let me know the plastic # and price.

PM me with what you have and price including shipping to 55973

#1007 9 years ago

I have for sale a nice F-14 TOMCAT pinball machine.
It is actually listed in the Pinside Market:
https://pinside.com/pinball/market/ad/17719

Robert

2.JPG2.JPG 3.JPG3.JPG 4.JPG4.JPG 20.JPG20.JPG 21.JPG21.JPG 11.JPG11.JPG
#1008 9 years ago

Pro Tip: When you have your F14 playfield on the rotisserie and stripped down, replace your GI bulbs...

Being an imbecile, I waited until the playfield was reassembled and back in the cabinet to start my LED upgrade. Only then did I notice that most of the GI is stapled down.

Now I get to take the thing apart again. So much for putting it on the market this weekend.

I'm beginning to think that Yagov is right about winning.

#1009 9 years ago
Quoted from Lame33:

Pro Tip: When you have your F14 playfield on the rotisserie and stripped down, replace your GI bulbs...

It's tricky...I did mine back in November, but the single LED bulbs I used were pretty inadequate to the task. I'm gradually phasing out the G.I. bulbs in favor of LED strips on the underside of the plastics. Especially in the upper playfield, since the plastics cover areas that are open on either side, the strips can provide nice, even illumination over the playfield.

It's all really subjective. Some people are sticklers for keeping things original; myself, I'm pretty into tweaking the lighting design - it's all reversible, after all. But yeah, anything you can do while the game is on the rotisserie should probably be done then...live and learn...

#1010 9 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

It's tricky...I did mine back in November, but the single LED bulbs I used were pretty inadequate to the task. I'm gradually phasing out the G.I. bulbs in favor of LED strips on the underside of the plastics. Especially in the upper playfield, since the plastics cover areas that are open on either side, the strips can provide nice, even illumination over the playfield.
It's all really subjective. Some people are sticklers for keeping things original; myself, I'm pretty into tweaking the lighting design - it's all reversible, after all. But yeah, anything you can do while the game is on the rotisserie should probably be done then...live and learn...

Hope to see some after pics of the LED strips for GI.

This is interesting, and I may do it to eliminate the 'cold' spots.

#1011 9 years ago

Oh no!!!! Flipper broke in 1/2. Kind of funny except we can't play pinball the rest of the weekend!

So, it's time to make my first parts order. Funny enough I was just asking my son if he would be cool with some flipper rebuild kits for his birthday then SNAP...There goes the flippe (not that its related to a rebuild). Anyway, I've noticed after literally 100's of games since getting his / my first machine that the flipper action has been getting weaker. I've read the rebuild guides and all but I'm still not sure what causes this "weakness". It's not too bad but noticeable to me that when the ball is coming down with some momentum and I "bat" the ball it just doesn't have the same pop it did a few hundred games ago (yet enough to snap a flipper!?!?). So I'm thinking I'll just do a rebuild while I replace the flipper anyway. Questions:

- Is there a preferred vendor / anyone sponsor this great site? Seems like pinball life is popular.
- Is there a full replacement all inclusive prebuilt upgrade option for F-14 flipper mechanisms? I know I can get the simple rebuild kit but I need to flip my diodes which are on the wrong side and all and if I'm doing it all anyway I'm thinking it might just be easier to replace all in one assembly.
- What specifically would cause the lack of "pop"? They return fine and shoot fine when the ball is rolling down the slot gently.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#1012 9 years ago

Has anyone decoded how the fighter jackpot is calculated. Played 1000's of games on this, probably 100 fighter jackpots and most are between 700 and 800 thousand.

Just hit one that was just over 1 million. NEVER seen this.

#1013 9 years ago
Quoted from Hess:

I've noticed after literally 100's of games since getting his / my first machine that the flipper action has been getting weaker. I've read the rebuild guides and all but I'm still not sure what causes this "weakness".

That could be any number of things or any combination of those things. Here are a few of the power robbers that I have seen.
1. Damaged and worn out plungers with mushroomed out ends rubbing in the coil sleeves. Also the coil stops get that way to the point of being hard to get out of the coil.
2. Burnt EOS switches and flipper cabinet switches as well. This resistance can cause a voltage loss and reduce the performance of the flippers.
3. Conical return springs (if you rig still has them) can be weak, broken, or just damaging the flipper link because they are a lousy design.
4. Flipper bushings can be worn (egg shaped bore) even very slightly, causing poor performance.
5. Coils can be breaking down internally and causing weakness.

Everything here is covered very well in vid1900's flipper rebuild thread. Esp. the first several pages. Read and re-read it. Then give it a try. It's not too hard to do with that info. If you run into trouble, just post it to the thread, and you will get help from pinsiders..Good luck

#1014 9 years ago
Quoted from Hess:

- Is there a preferred vendor / anyone sponsor this great site? Seems like pinball life is popular.
- Is there a full replacement all inclusive prebuilt upgrade option for F-14 flipper mechanisms? I know I can get the simple rebuild kit but I need to flip my diodes which are on the wrong side and all and if I'm doing it all anyway I'm thinking it might just be easier to replace all in one assembly.
- What specifically would cause the lack of "pop"? They return fine and shoot fine when the ball is rolling down the slot gently.

I get most of my Sys 11 parts from Marco Specialties.

These are the bats:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=tomcat&S_CAT1=PLFD-FLIP-BAT

These are the flipper kits:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=tomcat&S_CAT1=PLFD-FLIP-KIT

Kits do not come with cabinet switches or bushings, so I would strongly recommend ordering those:
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/SW-1010A-13
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7568

Replace all that, and you'll likely solve all your flipper "pop" problems.

#1015 9 years ago

Sorry guys I'm leaving the club I sold my F-14 to make some room for a new st pro. I will stop back by at times and see what's happing I have enjoyed it

#1016 9 years ago
Quoted from Hess:

Go with this. No more crappy conical springs.

http://www.actionpinball.com/parts.php?item=FLASSY1_R

#1017 9 years ago

I'm going to look at one tomorrow, its looks nice but I have to try it first. If it looks good then I'm finally in two clubs, this one and the System 11 club. Long time coming.

#1018 9 years ago

Post deleted

#1019 9 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

I'm going to look at one tomorrow, its looks nice but I have to try it first. If it looks good then I'm finally in two clubs, this one and the System 11 club. Long time coming.

if your going to look at that F14 in Oshawa , let me know how the Gorgar he is selling looks

#1020 9 years ago

Has anyone decoded how the fighter jackpot is calculated. Played 1000's of games on this, probably 100 fighter jackpots and most are between 700 and 800 thousand.
Just hit one that was just over 1 million. NEVER seen this.

The time I got a million plus jackpot I had all 4 balls in play. I dunno if that makes a difference but it was the only thing that stood out to me.

#1021 9 years ago

So a kit like this would replace the conical springs with the Fliptronics style springs? I've noticed lately that my flippers are getting weak, so I guess it's time to do a rebuild.

#1023 9 years ago

I replaced my space shuttle with these and huge difference. Planning on also doing my F24 soon. If i recall, the only thing you need to use from your old flippers are the large yellow caps.

#1024 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Planning on also doing my F24 soon.

78694_front.jpg78694_front.jpg
#1025 9 years ago

Anybody need red domes? I have 4 extra... no charge, just tell me where to send them.

IMG_4262.JPG (Click image to enlarge)

PM sent

#1026 9 years ago

I'm in. What a great playing pin.

#1027 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

SUPERBEE said:

Planning on also doing my F24 soon.

ooops. meant F14 lol

#1028 9 years ago

What is the yellow component in this picture? The end is broke off, and no way to solder it back on (Red Wire)... but the game and flipper plays fine.

Thoughts?

IMG_4266.JPGIMG_4266.JPG
#1029 9 years ago

Its a capacitor. It helps keep the switch from getting pitted prematurely. You should replace it.

#1030 9 years ago

Hey guys, I am looking to replace my back flasher domes, as I have an early run with the clear domes. I couldn't find the domes in the manual, so I wasn't sure which to replace them with. Will these work?

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8149-10
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8149-9

#1031 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

Hey guys, I am looking to replace my back flasher domes, as I have an early run with the clear domes. I couldn't find the domes in the manual, so I wasn't sure which to replace them with. Will these work?

These are the wrong shape I believe. The ones in the back have a wider diameter. They would work, but you'll have a gap.

#1032 9 years ago

Hmm I guess I will have to keep looking. It would be a lot easier if Williams would have had the product number in the manual.

#1033 9 years ago

All of the flipper rebuild kits have a single EOS switch but my main flipper has this double stacked switch? What does the secondary switch do? Do I order a rebuild then also get this? Can't seem to find the same switch with the triangle on it.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#1034 9 years ago

Edited for my misinformation

#1035 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

The secondary switch activates the upper flippers. Usually you can just stack the switches together.

Hmmm. So the cabinet switches are doubles (assuming secondary are uppers) AND the flipper EOS switches are doubles to activate the uppers (?) and the uppers have a single EOS. Seems odd to me. Are there screws to stack them? Would I reuse the triangle spacer? I wouldn't think so.

#1036 9 years ago
Quoted from Hess:

Hmmm. So the cabinet switches are doubles (assuming secondary are uppers) AND the flipper EOS switches are doubles to activate the uppers (?) and the uppers have a single EOS. Seems odd to me. Are there screws to stack them? Would I reuse the triangle spacer? I wouldn't think so.

After reading... I think I was definitely wrong. Apparently I don't know anything about the cabinet flipper switches. I believe the second switch on the flipper coils is for the lane change/high score initials.

#1037 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

Just did mine.

use these: http://pbresource.com/lampcov.html

Identical size/mount etc.

#1038 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

I believe the second switch on the flipper coils is for the lane change/high score initials.

That's correct. If you are rebuilding the flippers, you can just pull the old switch stack apart and transfer over the secondary switch if it's usable.

#1039 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

That's correct. If you are rebuilding the flippers, you can just pull the old switch stack apart and transfer over the secondary switch if it's usable.

All makes sense now. Thanks guys.

#1040 9 years ago

My outlane kickback is intermittently weak. Some games it shoots the balls to the upper half, and other games it will barely make it out of the gate. I probably need to realign the kicker, but the rubber tip also has some chunks taken out of it so I'm going to replace that.

Does anybody have a link for the rubber tip part on Marco, PinballLife, etc? I have searched both sites but I wasn't able to find anything.

#1041 9 years ago

I don't see it in the manual. This looks like the one you need though;
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-6306-2

It's best to take it apart and compare. I see this one as well. It's possible Williams used a VUK kicker for the outlane;
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/565-0029-01

#1042 9 years ago

FiftyQuid has it right with the first one. According to the F14 manual, the complete kickback assembly is a-11041-1. I found online a manual for something else that uses the same, and the plunger part is A-6306-2

#1043 9 years ago

Ah, I figured the tip would be replaceable like a rubber. Thanks for the help!

#1044 9 years ago

Ordered the sticker set there was one with several more than just the top left one. Here's the link, I apologize if its already in here.

ebay.com link: itm

1.jpg1.jpg 2.jpg2.jpg 3.jpg3.jpg 4.jpg4.jpg 5.jpg5.jpg 6.jpg6.jpg 7.jpg7.jpg 8.jpg8.jpg
#1045 9 years ago

Looking good!. Yeah, they are nice decals. I did the left side about a year ago and the right side about 4 mnths ago. I think it really improves the look of the game.

#1046 9 years ago

Hey guys, I am having issues with the upper ball gate/spinner switch rods falling off the wire forms. Can I get a few people to snap some pictures of the switch rods on their upper gates and spinners. All three of mine are open ended and do not curl around in a loop to hold on to the wire form. I am not sure if mine are correct. I am considering bending them in a loop around the wireform. I am also missing the majority of my spinner washers, but I don't want to make a marco order right now and pay their shitty shipping fees.

20150311_012542.jpg20150311_012542.jpg

#1047 9 years ago
Quoted from Gorno:

Hey guys, I am having issues with the upper ball gate/spinner switch rods falling off the wire forms.

That's an easy fix I think..... they look like they're upside down. The end you have over the spinner wireform should be hooked into the little hole on the switch under the playfield.

This picture isn't Tomcat one, but the idea is the same....

http://funwithbonus.com/wp-content/uploads/spinner.jpg

#1048 9 years ago

I am psyched to get those right hand decals on my F-14, those are gorgeous. And, once you have an opaque sticker on those plastics, you can add LED strips underneath to brighten up the game a bit!

#1049 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

That's an easy fix I think..... they look like they're upside down. The end you have over the spinner wireform should be hooked into the little hole on the switch under the playfield.
This picture isn't Tomcat one, but the idea is the same....
http://funwithbonus.com/wp-content/uploads/spinner.jpg

Thanks Snux. I checked the bottom of the switch it does have the loop. I guess the previous owner must have put them all together backwards

#1050 9 years ago

The stickers really do fit the game well. At first I was unsure, but now I can't image the pin without them. As a bonus, my right side clear plastics had yellowed slightly. No normal person would have even noticed it, but I noticed it all the time! I tried to sun bleach them back to white, but it didn't work. So covering them up made me one happy camper.

If you are concerned that you won't be able to see the ball going up the habit trails as you pull the plunger - don't. You can still see the ball plenty.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 5,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 113.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/21 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.