(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,101 posts
  • 325 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 day ago by schwism
  • Topic is favorited by 132 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,228 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200110_193532 (resized).jpg
20190901_211820 (resized).jpg
1EA22D7A-15F5-48A8-9CB3-5A0267C24B13 (resized).jpeg
81714E56-1F69-4BDF-956C-A29D4F0B0C18 (resized).jpeg
C46D21B3-C043-48BA-8411-40ED33A6193B (resized).jpeg
Screen Shot 2019-11-27 at 12.20.15 PM (resized).png
0A1FAC8F-F8B7-4022-A2F9-427D30D0E3B0 (resized).jpeg
20191026_193510 (resized).jpg
20191025_220604 (resized).jpg
20191025_220544 (resized).jpg
881B8B42-A93A-4236-8EDC-44DD76BB744F (resized).jpeg
02979AB8-B113-40D4-B71A-E29C2AB9CE66 (resized).jpeg
8F68FF0E-4EC1-42C7-8750-6F3C786179CA (resized).jpeg
F66A765B-6CD5-4CEB-9C94-8321AC303173 (resized).jpeg
625D4BB7-2C1C-49E1-8FC6-856F6C0B01E9 (resized).jpeg
DC33FB5C-B7C1-4208-B6A3-6DAE1D0AFC13 (resized).jpeg

There are 4101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 83.
#51 6 years ago

Great to see so many others that enjoy this game. This is my first of hopefully many machines but, this one is defiantly not going anywhere. Just upgraded with LEDs and it really makes the faded blue inserts pop. My machine came with a mismatch spinner that never worked well and finally broke and fell off. I'm wondering if any of you know where i can get a replacement. I've searched the usual sites (Marco, pinball life, and pinball resource) and can't find one. I know I can get the decals on ebay but not the actual spinner part. And just because I'm curious: Does anyone know what game this spinner came from. This was the one that came with my machine.

thanks.

20131030_182359.jpg
#52 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

Wow, good salesman - I've seen you on every F-14 thread!! If your sticker was a little more afforable I think you'd sell more (I'd buy one.....).

Plus its die cut, working in the print industry that's not cheap either.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from adaman25:

Great to see so many others that enjoy this game. This is my first of hopefully many machines but, this one is defiantly not going anywhere. Just upgraded with LEDs and it really makes the faded blue inserts pop. My machine came with a mismatch spinner that never worked well and finally broke and fell off. I'm wondering if any of you know where i can get a replacement. I've searched the usual sites (Marco, pinball life, and pinball resource) and can't find one. I know I can get the decals on ebay but not the actual spinner part. And just because I'm curious: Does anyone know what game this spinner came from. This was the one that came with my machine.
thanks.

20131030_182359.jpg 2 MB

No idea where that came from... but it kind of looks like lex luthor!

#54 6 years ago

Thought I would add mine here as well - recently finished a rebuild/restore with LED.

IMG_0254 [800x600].JPG
IMG_0255 [800x600].JPG

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

This aint no cheap sticker. Your paying for the quality that will last for decades.

Ok, ok, so I'M the cheap one!!!

#57 6 years ago
Quoted from adaman25:

My machine came with a mismatch spinner that never worked well and finally broke and fell off. I'm wondering if any of you know where i can get a replacement.

Here you go: http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TG-1019-554

My game had a bally spinner with stickers on it, that also eventually broke off. Not sure why Bay Area doesn't associate this one with F-14, as Marco lists it for Bugs Bunny, Harley, and F-14.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

Here you go: http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=BAA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TG-1019-554

My game had a bally spinner with stickers on it, that also eventually broke off. Not sure why Bay Area doesn't associate this one with F-14, as Marco lists it for Bugs Bunny, Harley, and F-14.

sadly it says out of stock

#59 6 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

sadly it says out of stock

Man - so sorry. I feel your pain though. It took me a surprisingly long time to find one, which is crazy since they made so many of those games.

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from LouMatt:

Man - so sorry. I feel your pain though. It took me a surprisingly long time to find one, which is crazy since they made so many of those games.

Mines actually ok and in place, its the other guy that we need to feel sorry for.

#62 6 years ago

Thanks for finding this for me. Price is a little high but hell, at least it's in stock.

I'm still curious what game my spinner came from.

#63 6 years ago

Ok, ok, so I'M the cheap one!!!

Yeah Nate....quit being so damn cheap!!! I got one on mine.....get it done kid!!

#64 6 years ago

@Pinball Nate : I indeed received some comments about the high price of the sticker, but you need to keep in mind that it's not an average bumper sticker. The dimensions is not only quite big, but I make sure to print it on the best vinyl available. Believe it or not my markup is not that big. Keep in mind that as soon as I can find a way to reduce time and cost I will adjust the selling price accordingly. Thank you for your interest in my product, It's always appreciated.

Ok, so everyone thinks I'm cheap, was wondering if this site might be helpful to you - maybe lower the cost??

http://stickerobot.com/

Check it out.

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from adaman25:

Does anyone know what game this spinner came from.

Atari superman 1979

as.jpg

#66 6 years ago

Ok, so now we've drooled over the machine like the latest pin-up, how about some discussion about game-play? I'm trying to rack up a good sized score for my bro to beat before he comes down to get his pinball. Anyway, I have finally noticed that you can keep the ball in play and spell multiple Tom Cat's to progressively light the 3 locks before actually locking a ball - that way if/when you drain, when you plunge, you will actually be plunging 3 times and easily locking the balls - saving you from having to shoot the lock on the upper right-hand side. (Which I've found out you can actually backhand with success from the right flipper.....).

I'm set-up to spell Tom Cat again before multi-ball starts - and haven't gotten that yet after two weeks! But I like that, keeps me interested!

Sooo, the multiple locks idea seems to be a good one - the Yagov shot doesn't seem to be all that difficult, but I usually avoid that, have not logged ever kill yet -- is it easier to shoot a kill from the center targets?

-Nate

#67 6 years ago

Sooo, the multiple locks idea seems to be a good one - the Yagov shot doesn't seem to be all that difficult, but I usually avoid that, have not logged ever kill yet -- is it easier to shoot a kill from the center targets?
-Nate

Nate, glad to see you're having fun with the machine. I'm with you. I never bother locking the ball until all 3 lights are lit.

The Yagov shot isn't that hard IMO. I usually try to go for that whenever the ball is on the bottom half of the playfield - unless one of the bonus lights are lit. In that case, I try to advance the bonus and save the Yagov for next time. In most games, I can get an extra ball by hitting the Yagov kicker 7 times to light extra ball then hit it once more. I like backhanding the shot off the left flipper. Sometimes I'll lose a ball trying for the extra ball (it's a wash in that case). But, often I come out ahead.

I always try to relight the Rescue whenever it's used. I've gotten pretty proficient, but occasionally mistime or, worse, hit the bumper post in the middle and drain sdtm. Whenever I ignore the unlit rescue, inevitably, it'll drain there.

I also always try to light the Rip Off by hitting TOMCAT one more time after the signal lights are going. I can usually catch that same ball on my left flipper and it gives me a few calm moments to try for the safe landing before the rest of the balls start coming at me.

I love my machine, but selling it to make room for JP that I already have in my basement. ebay.com link

#68 6 years ago

To score points don't forget the bonus multiplier, it really does help and add up.

You want that fighter jackpot, if you don't get it during your game you wont have a high score.

Lighting the spinner is good for some points too, and dont forget that combo shot when you go down an intlane and shoot yagov or the lock.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from practicalsteve:

To score points don't forget the bonus multiplier, it really does help and add up.
You want that fighter jackpot, if you don't get it during your game you wont have a high score.
Lighting the spinner is good for some points too, and dont forget that combo shot when you go down an intlane and shoot yagov or the lock.

So the bonus multiplier increases when you hit the lighted "123456"?? I think that's it? What's the "fighter jackpot?"

Forgot about the combo shots, I will give those a try as well.

Thanks guys, so far I've only gotten 920,000 on 5 balls(!) - does everyone have this machine on 5? I'm a 3-baller but I think this game really cries for 5.

Nate

#70 6 years ago

3 balls only....on every machine!! One more than you have....you have to earn any extra balls.

#71 6 years ago

Fighter jackpot is 3 safe landings (right upper saucer) during multi ball. It's about 700k I think. Each safe landing lights the blue bulb next to the 3 red Tomcat bulbs.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from JeffA:

Fighter jackpot is 3 safe landings (right upper saucer) during multi ball. It's about 700k I think. Each safe landing lights the blue bulb next to the 3 red Tomcat bulbs.

Thanks! I'm working on it!!

Yeah, I know, I grew up with 3 balls - ummmm, I mean.......

#73 6 years ago

Bonus multipliers are achieved by hitting the loop shot when lit. The left inlane will light the right loop for bonus multiplier and vice versa.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from zippydapinhead:

Atari superman 1979

as.jpg 103 KB

Thanks. I guess I never realized there was a superman pinball.

#75 6 years ago

my f14...i begin a swap of my restored playfield.

f14 003.JPG f14 006.JPG
#76 6 years ago

Are pf still available?

Also, on my F14 the out lanes seem to *always be lit for a Kill shot at the center target, this seems kind of odd for it to be lit all the time - what makes the "kill" outlane light, or is it a setting where these are timed or something............?

#77 6 years ago

Any F14 owners in or near the southeast US looking to sell their games? I have a buddy who's looking for one.

#78 6 years ago
Quoted from Dreg604:

Can't help but to share the same feeling about this huge classic. I was madly in love with it and it still pains me that I had to part with it. It's has the best feedback a machine can provide. I thought that maybe the sticker mod I made for it could be of some interest for a few of you.
Ebay link
Cheers everyone and keep on bashing Yagov for me!

I purchased one of your stickers a few months ago via eBay - I'm very happy with it!

Thanks again,

Justin

#79 6 years ago

Are pf still available?
Also, on my F14 the out lanes seem to *always be lit for a Kill shot at the center target, this seems kind of odd for it to be lit all the time - what makes the "kill" outlane light, or is it a setting where these are timed or something............?

It's kinda crazy, but nos playfields have been showing up on eBay for the past 1-1.5 months. The auctions usually end up around $1100

#80 6 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

It's kinda crazy, but nos playfields have been showing up on eBay for the past 1-1.5 months. The auctions usually end up around $1100

That's to crazy of a price for me.

#81 6 years ago

I am usually a total purist with my games, but if CPR made a mirrored backglass for F-14 like they did with Whirlwind, I would buy one immediately. The F-14 logo has so much potential to look awesome with mirroring.

Anyone else interested?

-BB

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

I am usually a total purist with my games, but if CPR made a mirrored backglass for F-14 like they did with Whirlwind, I would buy one immediately. The F-14 logo has so much potential to look awesome with mirroring.
Anyone else interested?
-BB

I'd definitely buy one. I really hope they do this.

#83 6 years ago

cpr is suppose to made a backglass for 14? its a rumor?

#84 6 years ago

Just finished up reinstalling the red flashers on the upper part of the playfield, light show is back to the way it should be. F-14 light show is so good. Nice and bright with new LED flashers.

#85 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Just finished up reinstalling the red flashers on the upper part of the playfield, light show is back to the way it should be. F-14 light show is so good. Nice and bright with new LED flashers.

How do the LED flashers work with the game?

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from Dreg604:

Hmm I do have some problem pasting the correct link for the auction page. Strange. Here's ta working one, I hope.
Ebay link
I must admit I'm always a bit uncomfortable at doing this kind of promotion, but maybe someday I wish I could live with selling such mod. So I need to start somewhere.
@Pinball Nate : I indeed received some comments about the high price of the sticker, but you need to keep in mind that it's not an average bumper sticker. The dimensions is not only quite big, but I make sure to print it on the best vinyl available. Believe it or not my markup is not that big. Keep in mind that as soon as I can find a way to reduce time and cost I will adjust the selling price accordingly. Thank you for your interest in my product, It's always appreciated.

I looked at this closely, and felt it was worth it. It not only looks like it belongs, but it pops an area that is pretty dull. Well done, mine should be here any day now.

#87 6 years ago

Just got mine last night! It was a win/win because I didn't have the plastic shield on top, so used this decal for a templet and made one. The colors match nicely with the playing field.

Now...do I upgrade to LED's? Do you guys go all white or do you match the playing field? Suggestions?

PB131334.JPG PB131335.JPG
#88 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

How do the LED flashers work with the game?

The flashers work great, but you do have to remove the warming circuit resistors to make them work properly. Otherwise you will have partially lit flashers all of the time. There was a service bulletin that removed the two red flashers in the upper part of the playfield. Those are the two that I reinstalled and wired it back to original form.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

Now...do I upgrade to LED's? Do you guys go all white or do you match the playing field? Suggestions?

I'd use corresponding LED color to match the inserts, most likely the inserts are faded, so you'll improve the color of the inserts by using red or blue LED bulbs.

#90 6 years ago

Good to know...thanks Nate!

#91 6 years ago

Just did a count for LED replacement:
INSERTS
7 Orange
20 Red
19 White
15 Blue
1 Green
Backglass: 29
and 20 whites for the top of the playing field
Going to keep the old flashers.

This is my only "modern" machine. The other 5 are EM's so I want this one to really pop!
Thanks guys for your help.
Joe

#92 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

The flashers work great, but you do have to remove the warming circuit resistors to make them work properly. Otherwise you will have partially lit flashers all of the time. There was a service bulletin that removed the two red flashers in the upper part of the playfield. Those are the two that I reinstalled and wired it back to original form.

That's what I thought. I have the same early model and have to make some time to add those 2 flashers. Thanks

#93 6 years ago
Quoted from jodini:

Just got mine last night! It was a win/win because I didn't have the plastic shield on top, so used this decal for a templet and made one. The colors match nicely with the playing field.

PB131334.JPG 3 MB

PB131335.JPG 3 MB

I've found that Comet Pinball Crystal Fan Shape LED's look really nice under the pop caps. Give them a try, you only need one. lol

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

That's what I thought. I have the same early model and have to make some time to add those 2 flashers. Thanks

Basically you are just going to reverse what the service bulletin had operators do back in the day. I was lucky that the wires that were removed were long enough below the playfield to just solder them back on the new light sockets. Before I knew there was a service bulletin to change the lights I started pulling my hair out trying to figure out why one of the flashers was not working when it was supposed to in the solenoid test.

#95 6 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Basically you are just going to reverse what the service bulletin had operators do back in the day. I was lucky that the wires that were removed were long enough below the playfield to just solder them back on the new light sockets. Before I knew there was a service bulletin to change the lights I started pulling my hair out trying to figure out why one of the flashers was not working when it was supposed to in the solenoid test.

Yup.

#96 6 years ago

checked the mailbox 5 minutes after posting and it was there
Installed on my proto (well, proto according to the factory roms and extra flashers) Looks like it belongs. I'll probably buy another for my regular version.

#97 6 years ago

Flashers work great and you do not have to remove the warming resistors IF you leave incandescent in the backboard of the PF to load down the circuit.

Here is my F-14 in attract mode. Sometime when I get the chance I'll take a vid out with it in OMFGMYEYES when it goes into multiball.

#98 6 years ago

Here is a vid of how to back out the old service bulletin and put your missing flashers back in.

#99 6 years ago

i did it and it work!! its a must.

#100 6 years ago

Finally got aroun to installing a small F14 on the playfield; I drilled a hole in the bottom, and screwed one end of a straightened paperclip into it. The other end I simply wrapped around a screw on the pf - looks good! Now to find a reasonably priced MIG....

Also installed a spotlight with a white LED thinking it would really illuminate that damn dark upper pf, but I was really disappointed, not much light at all - are the unfrosted bulbs better??

Here's some pics of both....

f141.jpg f143.jpg f142.jpg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.00
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bokchito, OK
Trade
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 50.00
There are 4101 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 83.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside