(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,596 posts
  • 469 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 13 hours ago by pb456
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
20240415_204854.jpg
2024-04-1520.55.50581660535718955564.jpg
IMG_5273 (resized).jpeg
20240412_180621.jpg
IMG_6898 (resized).jpg
IMG_6899 (resized).jpg
F-14 red legs (resized).jpg
25 (resized).JPG
image (resized).jpg
pinside.beb8aa6ea670a2343b9c15463e46ada2dea4ae8f.jpg
20240323_184048.jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 112.
#751 9 years ago

Id take it, but it says it ended with buy it now.

#752 9 years ago

Does anybody have a lead on replacement chevron inserts? My F-14 still has mylar, and I was always inclined to just leave it alone, but just realized that at least 2 of the red inserts are lifting. Still not sure if I should go into high gear restoring the game, or just leave it and hope for the best. The mylar is bubbling in those areas (and a couple others) but it doesn't affect gameplay at all. Thoughts?

#753 9 years ago

This is just me. But if the game plays fine I leave it be. Also if overall the game looks good leave it. A few little flaws that don't affect game play aren't worth the headache unless you want to go into full blow restore mode. Go big or go home....or just play and have fun!

#754 9 years ago

Ben, you don't have to replace the inserts - I believe WOZ uses one color so those are available, but the other color is not available. Just heat the inserts with a hair dryer and clamp them down, use some epoxy glue around the edges from beneath the playfield, and let dry.

From playing your table, the chevrons DO move the ball around a little bit but not that much - be warned, if you remove the mylar, you will spend a LOT of time removing the left over sticky mess on the playfield - also, mylar tends to hide planking so you may be faced with that also once the mylar is off..................my Taxi had planking underneath the mylar that was not noticeable when it was down, so I decided to re-mylar after touchups and water-slide decals over the inserts.......

#755 9 years ago
Quoted from sethbenjamin:

Does anybody have a lead on replacement chevron inserts?

Replacement chevrons will come up eventually from pps, or so Rick has told me. Sounds like you just need to heat up the raised ones with a hair dryer, push them back level, then set them with glue. Lots of tutorials on how to do that.

#756 9 years ago

My concern had to do with resetting them while still under the mylar. Seems like you could inadventently create a big mess that way.

Most likely I'll wait until replacement inserts are available before getting into it. I have to get another pin before then also, so I have at least 2 pins to play while restoring the other.

#757 9 years ago

I've got a bunch of chevron inserts still in my junk playfield, they're in reasonable condition but would likely need new decals as a minimum. If they're of any use and you need them I could try and get some out.

#758 9 years ago

Anybody see the used, faded, cracked chevron inserts out on Ebay for $75?

ebay.com link: williams f 14 tomcat pinball playfield plastic inserts red insert

cracked me up.

#759 9 years ago

Snux - I think I'm going to let it be a sign once new ones become available. If i'm going to go to the effort, I will want to make everything minty fresh!

Curbfeeler - yep. I laughed too.

How is it that we can't 3D print these sort of things by now?

#760 9 years ago

When I see listings or ads like that I feel tempted to sent the seller a message that reads simply:

"Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha...."

But then I feel bad.....and don't.

#761 9 years ago

Just went into town to print up some of agodfreys cards at Walgreens from post # 747. Got in the van, started it up, then opened up the envelope to take a look at the cards to see how they turned out. What song should come on 80's on 8? Kenny Loggins "Danger Zone". Just was a cool flashback moment.

Btw the cards look pretty awesome. Looking forward to trimming them up and putting them in my F-14 when I get back home.

#762 9 years ago

Sweet. Hope you like them. I think you might need to trim a little extra off than I left in black space. Also considering moving the rules a little to the right. But for less than a dollar (I think mine were 75¢) can't beat it!

Glad to hear they are going into homes and Kenny Loggins agrees!!

#763 9 years ago

Probably the best 82 cents I ever spent on a pin. Mr. Loggins would most likely agree.

DSCF4620.JPGDSCF4620.JPG
#764 9 years ago

Those are very cool. Did you laminate them?

#765 9 years ago
Quoted from Industen:

Those are very cool. Did you laminate them?

Nope, just trimmed them to size and put them in. Works just fine as they are on good photo grade paper. I would have put the clear plastic over them, but mine are a little discolored, so it looks way better without it.

#766 9 years ago

How is it that we can't 3D print these sort of things by now?

They can easily be CNC cut or even laser cut. Zitt did this very thing for his custom Star Trek Mirror Universe pin. In fact my buddy was going to cut me a batch. they would not be starburst, just solid color, 3/8 thick acrylic. But from all the plastics shops I checked, they would only order in the stock if I bought a 4x8 sheet. A 4x8 sheet of red and a 4x8 sheet of blue? What the heck would I do with 10,000 blue F-14 chevron plastics and another 10,000 red ones? Well, what would I do with 9,993 reds and 9,993 blues, I guess.

#768 9 years ago

I'd buy some!

#769 9 years ago

This may be a stupid question, but when changing the GI bulbs, do you do it from below the playfield like the insert bulbs?

#770 9 years ago

I used Pinball Bulbs LED's in my F14 (used frosted in GI as well) - couldn't be happier

#771 9 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

I used Pinball Bulbs LED's in my F14 (used frosted in GI as well) - couldn't be happier

Thanks, I really like the look of your game from the pics earlier in the thread.
Did you go with the non-ghosting option?

#772 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

This may be a stupid question, but when changing the GI bulbs, do you do it from below the playfield like the insert bulbs?

Depends on the bulb location. Some are easiest to replace from the topside of the PF, but there are quite a few where it's just easier to unscrew the socket and remove the bulb from underneath.

#773 9 years ago

Either way, it's far safer to do it with the game off.

I have changed a few easy to get to GI lamps, from the top, with the power on. However, if you have to go at it from the underside, especially if you have to remove the lamp socket, always power off first.

#774 9 years ago

Makes sense. And how do you change the diverter bulbs? I looked around but didn't find any obvious way of doing it.

#775 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

Makes sense. And how do you change the diverter bulbs? I looked around but didn't find any obvious way of doing it.

Just push down and twist and they should pop up and out.

#776 9 years ago

I'm having a few issues with my game.

1. Sound issue as the game warms up the back ground music gets distorted. (Someone suggested the ym3012 chip so I'm ordering a new one).

2. Extra segments in the displays. (Not sure what's going on there but a new LED display might be going into it if I can't figure it out).

3. Left center target switch 25 fault on power up. ( found green and yellow wire was removed and attached to right green and yellow wire on right target. I moved it back and now habitrail switches don't register. )

So my question. ...is there a green and yellow jumper wire from right switch to left switch ??? I'm thinking it was removed for some reason. I got 0 volts at the left green and yellow wire. I checked the cpu with a jumper on 1j10 and 1j8 and my rows and columns are good. Anyone want to take a pick of the wires under the two center targets? I would greatly appreciate it.

This what I have now. As a pose to both green and yellow on right switch when I got them game.
20141208_165255.jpg20141208_165255.jpg

#777 9 years ago

Mine has a wire between the two.

image-475.jpgimage-475.jpg
#778 9 years ago

Ahh Thanks so much. That wire was missing altogether. So the green wires are on the right with one wire going to the left. I kept coming back to the same switch thinking its got to be missing a jumper. But I didn't want to hook one up till it was verified. Didn't want to blow the switch matrix. lol

Thanks again.

#779 9 years ago

Well believe it or not...I actually found that little wire way in the back of the cabinet. Soldered it on and the first game I played, was the best game I ever had on it. I doubled my previous high score. I kept getting extra balls. Lol
If you can't read it, due to the extra segments its...7,904,090
20141208_203624.jpg20141208_203624.jpg

#780 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

These can be a pain in the ass, but they just untwist like the others. The divertor bulbs are the hardest ones to change, at least on my pin.

#781 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

Thanks, I really like the look of your game from the pics earlier in the thread.
Did you go with the non-ghosting option?

No, the only place I have noticed it being a problem is on the lock lights and then it seems to be only during attract mode.

rottenrobert1313 - first thing I would do is resolder the pin connections on your sound board and your display board. Then measure the power supply inputs on the board and make sure you are getting proper voltage.

Is the right display (or the lower ones for that matter) also affected with extra digits?

#782 9 years ago

I noticed on the score card "TOP SECRET: Multi-Ball special". Is there some super secret multiball mode I am missing out on?

#783 9 years ago
Quoted from koen12344:

I noticed on the score card "TOP SECRET: Multi-Ball special". Is there some super secret multiball mode I am missing out on?

It's not quite as fancy as that. During multiball, if you hit all the TOMCAT targets on the playfield (top and bottom), then the outlane SPECIAL will light. Or at least I'm pretty certain that's what it is.

#784 9 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

It's not quite as fancy as that. During multiball, if you hit all the TOMCAT targets on the playfield (top and bottom), then the outlane SPECIAL will light. Or at least I'm pretty certain that's what it is.

Yes that is correct.

#785 9 years ago

I really want to join the club.... Just need to find one!

#786 9 years ago

So what's the deal with LEDs in the flashers? I read that you either have to remove warming resistors or leave the 6 flashers in the backbox with incandescents.

I left the 6 backbox flashers intact and swapped the rest out with Comet 5 SMD flashers. Some of the flashers stay on all the time (2 behind the translite, 2 on the playfield, and a couple under the playfield), while the rest work properly. Why do some stay on and others don't?

#787 9 years ago
Quoted from LongJohns:

No, the only place I have noticed it being a problem is on the lock lights and then it seems to be only during attract mode.
rottenrobert1313 - first thing I would do is resolder the pin connections on your sound board and your display board. Then measure the power supply inputs on the board and make sure you are getting proper voltage.
Is the right display (or the lower ones for that matter) also affected with extra digits?

Thanks, I'll give it try. Just the uppers have the extra segments. But I'll resolder the pins and make sure there is isn't any solder bridges from pin to pin. Thanks

#788 9 years ago
Quoted from jeffpm:

So what's the deal with LEDs in the flashers? I read that you either have to remove warming resistors or leave the 6 flashers in the backbox with incandescents.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/removing-warming-resistors

#789 9 years ago

Can I join up? Here is a shot of my F-14 PF that I had restored by Captain Neo last year. He did a fantastic job, I could not have been more pleased! He touched up all the visible artwork, located and installed the red arrow inserts, applied new insert decals all around and clear coated the hell out of it. With a set of CPR plastics and a set of plastic protectors, this is how she came out:F-14-610.jpgF-14-610.jpg
Sorry for the glare of the overhead lamp!
I've since installed the PF into the cabinet and she's up and running 100% with a NOS translite in the backbox and Rottendog displays.
I did install a complete set of Cointaker LEDs and flashers, you damn near sunglasses to play it!

#790 9 years ago

Looks like those flippers could use some fine tuning...

#791 9 years ago

Yep. Plus some whitening. I can't stand yellow flippers on F-14.

#792 9 years ago

Looks like those flippers could use some fine tuning...

In that photo they are just resting in place, untightened.

Quoted from Fifty:

Yep. Plus some whitening. I can't stand yellow flippers on F-14.

Personal preference, I like the yellow.

#793 9 years ago

What was the original colour? I thought white, but I may be wrong.

#794 9 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

What was the original colour? I thought white, but I may be wrong.

You are correct, white was the original color.

#795 9 years ago

Hey Gents. What would the price be on a routed F14 with LED upgrades. Game played decent and everything was working. Playfield was in decent shape as well.

Saw this one for sale and was curious if the price was high (I thought so)

#796 9 years ago

In your location? Probably $1200. Price up here in the Great White North is closer to $1500.

#797 9 years ago

that was my thought as well. Guy had a tag of $2500 on it. Knew he was nuts.

#798 9 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Price up here in the Great White North is closer to $1500.

Pretty cheap. Good luck finding one in the locally in the Toronto area for that price unless its a little beat up.

#799 9 years ago

Im wondering if anyone else has had this happen. When i first turn on my F14 and plunge the first ball , all the sound effects are there but no music. Once i lose that ball and start my second ball , music is there and all is good for the rest of the game and all other games . Doesnt happen every time but quite often and only when i first turn the machine on. Not a big deal but curious if anyone has experienced this or knows what would be causing this ?

#800 9 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Im wondering if anyone else has had this happen. When i first turn on my F14 and plunge the first ball , all the sound effects are there but no music. Once i lose that ball and start my second ball , music is there and all is good for the rest of the game and all other games . Doesnt happen every time but quite often and only when i first turn the machine on. Not a big deal but curious if anyone has experienced this or knows what would be causing this ?

Yup, mine does that sometimes. You are not alone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Cedar Rapids, IA
There are 5,596 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 112.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/16 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.