(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,264 posts
  • 334 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 hours ago by FLASHBALL
  • Topic is favorited by 138 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,321 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

8825AF83-BD64-4BD4-9357-70213DA6EEF4 (resized).jpeg
F7892243-2CC1-4D2F-9C30-4FA1D33AFF6C (resized).jpeg
A0A12F6C-F0AA-44AC-B8E0-62B9AE73F83C (resized).jpeg
9D9EDADD-003D-46FA-AA2D-CCF0C297F847 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20200403-175652 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200401_190717 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200401_190713 (resized).jpg
20200401_154507 (resized).jpg
20200401_154515 (resized).jpg
20200401_154528 (resized).jpg
Annotation 2020-03-31 234923 (resized).png
Annotation 2020-03-31 2349231 (resized).png
2B983169-CB1A-4455-92B3-5008472E96CE (resized).jpeg
59BC2E71-7175-4BB1-917D-7481B7B24309 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

There are 4264 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 86.
#601 5 years ago

The note is not necessarily wrong, I think the flipper assembly note only pertains to the EOS switch wiring to the coil on the assembly, which does not show the wire color on the schematics.

The coil wires from the harness, however, are not solid blue, but should be Blue/Grey for the left, and Blue/Violet on the right are the sides of the coil back to the cab buttons. The power side of the flipper coils should be Grey/Yellow for the left, and Blue/Yellow for the right. If the colors do not match these, then whatever color they are it should match the wire colors coming from the flipper power supply connector I5P3 pin 6 (L) and pin 1 (R)

flipf14.jpg

#602 5 years ago

I'll take another look tonight to see if the blue wires to my flipper coils have a trace colour on them. I didn't see any, but I'll trace it back even further. The blue wires I'm talking about are soldered to the middle terminal on the coils.

#603 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I'll take another look tonight to see if the blue wires to my flipper coils have a trace colour on them. I didn't see any, but I'll trace it back even further. The blue wires I'm talking about are soldered to the middle terminal on the coils.

I looked at mine, I have solid black wires on the left EOS, and solid orange on the right EOS, so these were probably replaced at one time ( they were probably solid blue from the factory)
The blue with trace stripes on them, are the ones that travel into the harnesses back to the cab switches and power.

#604 5 years ago

The center contact is solid blue wire. The blue wire is coming off the EOS switch. I resoldered the diodes onto the flipper coil and matched them up to the other flipper coils. Nothing blew up, or melted or started smoking so that's good. Played about 15 games after I done with the iron. No misfires.

#605 5 years ago

So I tossed another 35-40 games onto my F-14. No two-ball. Which is good. Even better, I left the pin plugged in overnight, and had it powered up and in attract mode all day. So whatever possible issues that may be lingering are definitely not being caused by heat.

#606 5 years ago

Check it out, all packed up for the Ottawa Pinball & Gaming Show this weekend! Pick up is Wednesday for me!

20140908_234704.jpg

#607 5 years ago

Greetings to all F-14 fans, from Hungary!

F-14 was my first pin. Picked up eight years ago, one week before my wedding. Worked for only one hour, then all of the flippers were weak, and something smelled in the backbox. I didn't have any knowledge at that time, so repair was challenging.

It's an early version, all flashers are in, has proto labeled eproms, and white flasher domes on the backboard. The display panel was the bigger one (Millionaire style, without 5th display).

Now it has a clearcoated playfield, and LED displays. All bulbs replaced by LEDs. The two rectifiers got their 8 AMP S-B fuses.

Two years ago I had a chance to meet Steve Ritchie at Neu-Ulm, who signed the translite and two promo plastics for me. It was an honor to meet the creator of my all time favourite pin.

Next project will be testing LEDs as flashers, and building in the CPR plastic set.

f14.jpg
#608 5 years ago

Does anyone know the best way to access the General Yagov kicker coil? Mine is either bad or a wire fell off. Can not approach from the bottom as it is under the upper playfield. Thanks warren

#609 5 years ago

You have to remove the clear plastic, and black divertor plastic. Unfortunately you have to remove all of the habitrails first to get it out of there.

#610 5 years ago

I felt that was the case but at the same time hoping someone had figured a work around. Not looking forward to this considering there are at least three screws that heads are magaled. Any tricks about dealing with small head screws when a screw driver is not helpful and small plyers can not grab head?

#611 5 years ago

The screw driver needs to be the right size especially on stripped stuff. Many people think a Phillips is just a Phillips when really there are a variety of different sizes and shapes to the points. I'm not saying that's you, just saying for anyone listening.

Are you able to cut the heads off using flush cutters or a mini hand saw?

#612 5 years ago

Understand about the size of a screw driver so maybe I will take a closer look at that. Above my pay scale to try and cut off the screw head. Even if I could I would not know how to deal with the stem part left.

#613 5 years ago
Quoted from Rec:

Greetings to all F-14 fans, from Hungary!
F-14 was my first pin. Picked up eight years ago, one week before my wedding. Worked for only one hour, then all of the flippers were weak, and something smelled in the backbox. I didn't have any knowledge at that time, so repair was challenging.
It's an early version, all flashers are in, has proto labeled eproms, and white flasher domes on the backboard. The display panel was the bigger one (Millionaire style, without 5th display).
Now it has a clearcoated playfield, and LED displays. All bulbs replaced by LEDs. The two rectifiers got their 8 AMP S-B fuses.
Two years ago I had a chance to meet Steve Ritchie at Neu-Ulm, who signed the translite and two promo plastics for me. It was an honor to meet the creator of my all time favourite pin.
Next project will be testing LEDs as flashers, and building in the CPR plastic set.

I suggest getting one of these pop bumper lights. I really like mine.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3336

I also got Steve's autograph on my Firepower BG. But as soon as I get home, the signature was smudged and I had to it wipe off. I guess we used a cheap pen.

#614 5 years ago

You can also get them from Comet. Comet's version has LEDs on both sides of the ring. You are only purchasing the ring, not the bumper cap from Comet.

Here is what mine looks like;

comet.jpg

#615 5 years ago

<<<Help needed>>>

I have an F14 that has been sidelined for many years. Now I have the itch to get it going. The previous owner, and amusement company took a few parts off it, so here are my questions.

1. Looking in the bottom of the cabinet on left, I have a white wire with a red band, that has been cut. I tested it, and it is the wire that goes to the outhole switch. Where should this wire be connected?

2. Nearer the coin door, I have a white wire with a purple band. Where does this go?
3. They also cut out the test switches and some that go to the coin mechs. I am not too worried about these. I soldered in some switches I found at Radio Shack and they seem to work.

Thanks

#616 5 years ago

Good that another F14 is coming back to life

I checked the F14 manual, which you can download from IPDB amongst other places, and took a look at the switch matrix table. So I can answer your first 2 questions :

1 - White/Red is row 2 in the matrix, it daisy chains around all the switches in that row, including the outhole switch. In the bottom left of the cabinet the only item on that row is the ball roll tilt which mounts to the left side. At the back end of that is a switch which gets activated when the front of the machine is lifted high enough to roll the ball back. That switch is where this wire goes.

2 - White/Purple is row 7. The only item on that row by the coin door is the slam tilt switch. On the inside of the door is a switch with like a little weight on it. The idea being that if you slam the door when it's closed, the switch will activate and tilt the machine. That's where this wire goes.

It kind of sounds like someone had a problem with the machine tilting when it shouldn't and decided to cut the wires. But I'm sure you'll find/fix these on your "journey".

have fun and post more questions for the folks here as and when you have them!

Mark

#617 5 years ago
Quoted from Jumping-Box:

I suggest getting one of these pop bumper lights. I really like mine.
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=3336

I don't know, for me, this UFO-bumper style does not match with the theme of the game. Maybe in the AFM or Jackbot

I'm almost finished installing the CPR plastic set. It looks amazing IRL.
I bought it from a german seller, strange, but I have a feeling that it is a mixed set, some of the clear plastics are made by another manufacturer. The round promo plastic was also missing, but the entire set was cheaper than average, so I can live with that.
(And I have the original promos, so... )

I lost the right slingshot plastic somewhere in the basement, I have to find it

3.JPG IMG_3023.JPG IMG_3027.JPG IMG_3038.JPG IMG_3044.JPG
#618 5 years ago

Looks nice. I have a set of new plastics for mine to go on the new playfield, whenever they finally come out

#619 5 years ago

Thanks! Now, with the new set, I see how much my playfield is yellowed. A new CPR PLF would be great!

But the price+shipping in Europe...

#620 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Guys, I need to know the proper diode number for flipper coils. I have a broken one. It's a 1N4003. I took a look at the other diodes on my coils and the numbers are all different. 1N4002, 4004… what diode is supposed to be on the coils??? The manual doesn't list the diode number, just the coil and the diode for the EOS switch which is a 4001.

Honestly its fine to just replace all the 1N diodes on these machines with 1N4007 It saves on parts inventory and they all have the same properties with the exception of voltage handling.

#621 5 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

1 - White/Red is row 2 in the matrix, it daisy chains around all the switches in that row, including the outhole switch. In the bottom left of the cabinet the only item on that row is the ball roll tilt which mounts to the left side. At the back end of that is a switch which gets activated when the front of the machine is lifted high enough to roll the ball back. That switch is where this wire goes.
2 - White/Purple is row 7. The only item on that row by the coin door is the slam tilt switch. On the inside of the door is a switch with like a little weight on it. The idea being that if you slam the door when it's closed, the switch will activate and tilt the machine. That's where this wire goes.

Thanks Mark. I thought the white/red might to that roll tilt since it was the only switch even remotely close to the wire. It also explains why I have a whole series of switches that don't work.

Actually non of my trough switches register, either. I'll look for some more cut wires.

The slim tilt on the door also makes sense, since they cut all the wires from the test switches and most of the coin door wiring, and a grounding cable.

3 weeks later
#622 5 years ago
Quoted from Rec:

I don't know, for me, this UFO-bumper style does not match with the theme of the game. Maybe in the AFM or Jackbot
I'm almost finished installing the CPR plastic set. It looks amazing IRL.
I bought it from a german seller, strange, but I have a feeling that it is a mixed set, some of the clear plastics are made by another manufacturer. The round promo plastic was also missing, but the entire set was cheaper than average, so I can live with that.
(And I have the original promos, so... )
I lost the right slingshot plastic somewhere in the basement, I have to find it

IMG_3027.JPG 240 KB

3.JPG 203 KB

IMG_3023.JPG 300 KB

IMG_3044.JPG 181 KB

IMG_3038.JPG 256 KB

plastic protector is a must with new cpr kit,i broke one before install my protector...

#623 5 years ago

Hello everyone, I've been away for quite a while but I'm back with what I think a pretty good news. I'm the guy behind the YAGOV sticker mod art and many people have asked me from a long time ago if I would ever consider doing another set of stickers for the clear plastic on the right side. Guess what? I finally did! Sorry for being so long on that.

With this sticker I try to tell a short story with this one about the pilot walking towards it's F-14 while everything is getting ready for lift off until the shooter send the signal.

Just tell me what you think, I would love to hear from you before having them printed. They should be ready for sale next week. (low res pic is intended btw)

Oh and the former one are still on sale here ebay.com link

Upper Right Sticker low res.jpg
#624 5 years ago

Awesome Dreg - totally down for the other side. Looks good

#625 5 years ago

im totally in for one !!

#626 5 years ago

Very nice!!

#627 5 years ago

I bought the original decal almost a year ago. Just want to make sure the colors on the new decal will match ??

#628 5 years ago

It looks great Dreg! As long as the colours match I think I'm in.

If you need an F-14 to test a set on I'm in Ottawa. Canada Post lettermail is cheap.

#629 5 years ago

Thank you all for your feedbacks.

I will indeed take good care for having the colors match as close as possible previous runs of the left side stickers.

Thank you FiftyQuid for your offer, I will contact you for a way to work this around.

#630 5 years ago

Does anyone have pics of these plastics installed on a F14???

#631 5 years ago
Quoted from Hellfire:

Does anyone have pics of these plastics installed on a F14???

Here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/5#post-1594698

Here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/10#post-1773798

Here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/10#post-1774318

Here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/11#post-1818785

My opinion of this sticker mod? I can't imagine my F-14 without it. I was unsure at first, but after having in installed for about a week I love it. Brightens up a dreary part of the PF. I'm all about colour and this fits the theme perfectly!

#632 5 years ago

Looks great Dreg! I have your left side set and I love them. Really modernizes the game a bit without going overboard. This new right side would really balance out the colors too. Great job!

Mike

#633 5 years ago

Yep, I've got your first one and would be in for this too.

#634 5 years ago

bump for my bro

#635 5 years ago

I would probably be in for 1 as well.

#636 5 years ago

Guys, I've been curious about this for a while now so I thought I'd ask. Is this a common screw post on F-14? What the hell is the purpose of it?

upkicker_clearview.png

Better pic;

wtf_screw.png

#637 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Guys, I've been curious about this for a while now so I thought I'd ask. Is this a common screw post on F-14? What the hell is the purpose of it?

Better pic;

upkicker_clearview.png 612 KB

wtf_screw.png 608 KB

Most likely to prevent an air ball from getting caught there.

#638 5 years ago

On another note... I've completed, for now, my production of Space Station ramps, and about to start on the one I want to do for the F-14. While not technically a ramp I guess, it's the collector/diverter in the upper left hand corner. Plan at this point is to do it in dark transparent BLUE and dark transparent RED and then look to offering a lighting mod tied into the landing/lock on signals. Could also do it easily in clear if desired.

#639 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

On another note... I've completed, for now, my production of Space Station ramps, and about to start on the one I want to do for the F-14. While not technically a ramp I guess, it's the collector/diverter in the upper left hand corner. Plan at this point is to do it in dark transparent BLUE and dark transparent RED and then look to offering a lighting mod tied into the landing/lock on signals. Could also do it easily in clear if desired.

Looking forward to seeing this!

#640 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Looking forward to seeing this!

Me too!!...since I actually own one.

#641 5 years ago

Sounds cool !!

#642 5 years ago

id like to see a pics of this!in dark transparent blue...

#643 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballfan:

id like to see a pics of this!in dark transparent blue...

It will be a couple weeks probably. In exchange for my friend loaning me his Space Station I'm doing a few days restoration on it for him. Should be finished by the weekend then I will pull the F-14 apart and get started on it. I'll post photos as soon as I've formed one.

#644 5 years ago
Quoted from Freeplay40:

I'll post photos as soon as I've formed one.

Cant wait to see this !!

#645 5 years ago

I think I'm leaning towards wanting red more than blue.

#646 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I think I'm leaning towards wanting red more than blue.

When I get ready I'll form both a red and a blue.

#647 5 years ago

The only problem i see is that anyone with the ramp mod decal wont really be able to see much of it.

#648 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

The only problem i see is that anyone with the ramp mod decal wont really be able to see much of it.

Yup... I want to see if I can do it without the cover anyway and lit up. I'll begin taking mine apart in the next couple days

1 week later
#649 5 years ago

Time for my recurring post. I am still looking for this plastic;

f14_forum.png

Please PM me if you have one that you are willing to sell. I would like to pay under $30 shipped to my location.

#650 5 years ago

FINALLY! After popular demand and a few knicks knacks with my printing service, my new set of customs decal for your beloved F-14 are at last available for sale!

Check thme out here:

ebay.com link

Note that they are bigger than the Yagov so more expensive to produce, hence the increased selling price. The color match is similar to the Yagov decal mod and they are still printed on high resistant vinyl.

Thank you all for your interest, I can't wait to hear your feedbacks.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Boca Raton, FL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
There are 4264 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 86.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside