(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 4,107 posts
  • 325 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Averell
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 1,239 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

DSCN1658 (resized).JPG
DSCN1525 (resized).JPG
DSCN1576 (resized).JPG
DSCN1518 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20200120_185319_HDR (resized).jpg
20200120_185310 (resized).jpg
20200120_185038 (resized).jpg
20200120_185229 (resized).jpg
20200120_185630 (resized).jpg
20200110_193532 (resized).jpg
20190901_211820 (resized).jpg
1EA22D7A-15F5-48A8-9CB3-5A0267C24B13 (resized).jpeg
81714E56-1F69-4BDF-956C-A29D4F0B0C18 (resized).jpeg
C46D21B3-C043-48BA-8411-40ED33A6193B (resized).jpeg

There are 4107 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 83.
#501 5 years ago

Strong flippers make a difference as well.

#502 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Does anyone else have a bitch of a time getting the landings during multiball? I've had the game for 6 months, and I don't consider myself a novice, but I have yet to put my name on the high scores. I have failed…

Yeah, it's not too bad a shot, until the multiballs are flying around. Do yourself a favor and lower the high score defaults via the adjustments menu. Then get your name in lights and just keep knocking your lowest scores out as you beat your own scores - that will still set a benchmark for your skills and your game's unique qualities.

#503 5 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Strong flippers make a difference as well.

This is on my larger "to do" list. I just haven't gotten there yet.

Lowering the high score defaults sounds like a great idea.

While I have everyone talking, what do you guys think I should do to fix this;

20140730_152744.jpg

After 27 years of pinballs hitting it the metal guide that leads to the flipper has been flattened. There is actually a bit of a dip and then just before the flipper bat you can see the corner is flattened. I've actually gotten a ball stuck between the post side of the flipper and the bracket. Nothing a tiny nudge didn't fix, but this piece of metal is affecting gameplay as it slows the ball sometimes when it comes down the inner lane. Not always, but sometimes.

Any ideas to fix this? I can't hammer it flat.

#504 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Does anyone else have a bitch of a time getting the landings during multiball? I've had the game for 6 months, and I don't consider myself a novice, but I have yet to put my name on the high scores. I have failed…

Don't give up! It took me a long time to get on my own high score list. Once you get the landing shots down, its money. Hold two balls with both flippers, land away and repeat. Go for those kills to get that extra ball. Its needed. YOU CAN'T WIN!!!! (but you really can)

#505 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

After 27 years of pinballs hitting it the metal guide that leads to the flipper has been flattened. There is actually a bit of a dip and then just before the flipper bat you can see the corner is flattened. I've actually gotten a ball stuck between the post side of the flipper and the bracket. Nothing a tiny nudge didn't fix, but this piece of metal is affecting gameplay as it slows the ball sometimes when it comes down the inner lane. Not always, but sometimes.

I would say the best fix is probably obvious, replace it if you can source up the part. My suggestion for a "semi-permanent" workaround would be to get a piece of sheet scrap that can be cut and ground to have the edge where you need it to be. You would just need a piece large enough for the section with the posts, accurately drill it where the posts should be, and lay it directly on top of the original guide. You might also want to grind down on the topside of that edge on the original guide for a close fit. I don't know for certain if this would work, but it might be something I would try.

#506 5 years ago

Sourcing the sheet metal (proper thickness) and getting it cut are the two main blocking factors for me. Then I have to ensure it's polished sheet metal as well.

It's not a game breaker, so I'll file this in my back pocket as something I'm looking for casually, not hardcore.

Thanks.

#507 5 years ago

Mine still has the factory mylar on most of the playfield. I would love to remove it, but I am a big chicken.

I dont want to remove any artwork, and I hear getting all the glue off is a major pain.

#508 5 years ago

I remove a mylar two time on f14 with hair dryer and all art still here, next time i will try cold freeze.

#509 5 years ago

Yeah, mine is the original mylar as well. I would like to remove it and fix some of the inserts. I'm not going to attempt this until I'm a year or two in.

I tried adjusting the high score defaults this evening. I managed to lower all of them, but then I wasn't sure what to do. I closed the coin door, but the game didn't go into any sort of playable mode. So then I flipped the power switch on the belly, but this lost all the values I had put in. How do I save the new lower high scores?

#510 5 years ago

I think once the value is where you want it, you press the start button on the front of the machine to save it. To get out of the menu, just run all the way up to adjustment 70, once you go over that it'll quit back to attract mode

#511 5 years ago

FiftyQuid, you could try raising that metal plate slightly - put taller spacers on the bottom and shorten the spacers beneath the slingshot plastic - or just put a washer beneath the metal plate - that just might move it enough to lessen the problem with where the ball strikes it........

#512 5 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

I think once the value is where you want it, you press the start button on the front of the machine to save it. To get out of the menu, just run all the way up to adjustment 70, once you go over that it'll quit back to attract mode

The start button allows you to move the value up and down depending on if you have the coin door button in auto or manual mode. I figured that out by myself. I'll try running all the way up to adjustment 70 tonight and see if that does the trick.

Quoted from Pinball_Nate:

FiftyQuid, you could try raising that metal plate slightly - put taller spacers on the bottom and shorten the spacers beneath the slingshot plastic - or just put a washer beneath the metal plate - that just might move it enough to lessen the problem with where the ball strikes it........

I don't understand how this would help. Maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying.

#513 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

20140730_152744.jpg 168 KB

Buy new ones.

http://www.passionforpinball.com/FlipFrames.htm

#514 5 years ago

Thanks for the link! Email sent for pricing.

#515 5 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

This didn't work. Well, it kinda did. Now when I look at the values in the menu it shows the high scores I inputted, but when I close the coin door or turn on/off the machine it still shows the defaults on the display? What the?

It's odd, because I tried turning off high scores using the same method and was able to turn them off.

#516 5 years ago

I think that after you change the values, you then need to reset the high scores, that's a button inside the door from memory

#517 5 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

I think that after you change the values, you then need to reset the high scores, that's a button inside the door from memory

Duh. Right that makes sense. Let me try it…

Yep! Worked! Thank you!

#518 5 years ago

Where is all the F-14 love?

I reverse modded the service bulletin tonight and added back in the two missing red flashers. Simple to do as long as you use some patience. Took me about an hour. I love the look of it. Playing in the dark is killer on the eyes, but now it's even worse/better. This might very well be the only Williams game you need to wear sunglasses to play.

20140804_195056.jpg

#519 5 years ago

My F14 is one of the earlier ones, so the 6 flashers across the back of the playfield have clear covers instead of red. That hurts even more

#520 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Where is all the F-14 love?

I reverse modded the service bulletin tonight and added back in the two missing red flashers. Simple to do as long as you use some patience. Took me about an hour. I love the look of it. Playing in the dark is killer on the eyes, but now it's even worse/better. This might very well be the only Williams game you need to wear sunglasses to play.

Where did you get that decal that goes over the ball diverters?

#521 5 years ago

Good job with the flashers, Fifty! They really do enhance the light show.

Quoted from NightTrain:

You can get those on eBay...

ebay.com link » F 14 Tomcat Williams Pinball Machine Yagov Sticker Decal Mod

#522 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Yep, eBay. Very high quality decal. It's a water soluble decal. You need to use soapy water to apply and move it around then squeegee out the water with a credit card. I was in contact with the eBay seller and artist for this and asked him if he ever thought about designing side or rear decals for F-14. He had not, but is now considering it. However, he is currently working on similar decals for the clear plastics on the right (over the plunger lane.)

Quoted from mbott1701:

Good job with the flashers, Fifty! They really do enhance the light show.

Thank you! For my first mod, this is a good one. I would recommend this mod to anyone that has modding in their blood and is itching to do something with their F-14 pin. It was a lot of fun.

#523 5 years ago

So I triggered a two-ball multiball last night. I am pretty sure I yelled out "shit" because I was on a good run and this meant my score was bogus with two balls now rolling around on the PF.

The first two-ball multiball triggered with ball one locked. Ball two had just rolled past the switch in the second habitrail when I heard "Fire!" and ball one launched out of the lock.

I am starting to think one of the switched located in the habitrail is sticking. I am leaning to the defective one being in the lowest habitrail.

#524 5 years ago

Ya the two ball thing is really annoying. My dad's machine is doing this but we haven't really looked into it yet.

#525 5 years ago

Need help in finding out how to fix my F-14 Tomcat. I have music but no sound and get a U10 P1A Failure message based on the number of light flashes on the CPU board. I am not an electronics wizard so I am also looking for someone in the Evansville, IN area to fix my machine. Anyone have any ideas?

#526 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

but is now considering it. However, he is currently working on similar decals for the clear plastics on the right (over the plunger lane.)

This might be cool !

#527 5 years ago

Woot! Finally put up a decent high score! 4,099,650!!! I knocked out 3,000,000 points on Ball 1 alone! Me and the pin were in complete sync. What an awesome feeling! Added my score to the leaderboard, and I will add a photo later! Ha!

#528 5 years ago

Anyone have any NOS, repro, or nice used F14 slingshot plastics they'd be willing to part with? I suppose I only really need the left, but would prefer a pair. Maybe they're still for sale somewhere but I couldn't find them.

Thanks!

#529 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Anyone have any NOS, repro, or nice used F14 slingshot plastics they'd be willing to part with? I suppose I only really need the left, but would prefer a pair. Maybe they're still for sale somewhere but I couldn't find them.
Thanks!

If you find them let me know...I've been looking for a few years now.

#530 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Thanks!

Did you try contacting this guy?
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-14-machine-parted-out

I know the banana plastic is gone, but I didn't think the slings were yet.

#531 5 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Thanks!

Im pretty sure CPR is planning on re-releasing the plastics set once the new playfields are released.

#532 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Woot! Finally put up a decent high score! 4,099,650!!! I knocked out 3,000,000 points on Ball 1 alone! Me and the pin were in complete sync. What an awesome feeling! Added my score to the leaderboard,

Way to go FiftyQuid ! nothing beats being able to put your tag up on a machines high scores. I just finally hit the 7 million mark after many many long nights honing my F14 skills lol

#533 5 years ago

Really?.....News to me.....How do these bogus rumors get started?

<Im pretty sure CPR is planning on re-releasing the plastics set once the new playfields are released.>

#534 5 years ago

I could have sworn you mentioned this on an earlier thread Stu. Forgive me if im wrong. Maybe it was someone else who mentioned it.

#535 5 years ago

Stu
Pinball master
1,818,500 2
4 months, 1 week ago
Post #4 ¶ quote Report ignore

I'm sure we can re-run the Plastics once PPS releases the PF.....

Sorry, this is from an old thread. You didnt say that you were re-running them you just implied that it was a possibility. My bad .

#536 5 years ago

I had a couple more instances of the 2 ball multiball last night. I really think it is the switch in the lower habitrail misbehaving.

When I send the ball to the upkicker the ball gets shot upwards towards the divertor. Sometimes the upkicker hits the ball perfectly and it rolls quickly over to the divertor. Sometimes the upkicker hits the ball less that perfectly resulting in the ball rolling more slowly towards the divertor. When the upkicker really connects I notice the switch trigger in the lower habit moves. I'm thinking this is my issue. It shouldn't move unless something comes in contact with it. This switch is the only thing that sets off the kicker in the right side lock.

I am going to try replacing all 3 habitrail switches and see if this corrects the problem.

#537 5 years ago

(mods please delete)

#538 5 years ago
Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Stu
Pinball master
1,818,500 2
4 months, 1 week ago
Post #4 ¶ quote Report ignore
I'm sure we can re-run the Plastics once PPS releases the PF.....
Sorry, this is from an old thread. You didnt say that you were re-running them you just implied that it was a possibility. My bad .

Ya, that was the post I remember, I misinterpreted I guess..... The "I'm sure" part threw me.....

#539 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

I am going to try replacing all 3 habitrail switches and see if this corrects the problem.

Please report back!

#540 5 years ago

I've got a decent one for sale listed on this site located in Perry Iowa for $900 firm. Hope this is ok to post here.

Chris

#541 5 years ago

Woohoo!!! Just broke my high score! 4,688,910! I set off multiball, got 1 landing. Then I got the extra ball, then I set off multiball again, no landings. Then I had the extra ball lit, and 1 ball locked with the lock lite for the second ball and I drained!!! F-E-C-K!!!

Man, I'm drained! No pun intended!

Man is multiball a pain to trigger the 2nd time. Spell T-O-M-C-A-T for every ball lock and then again to light Release? Holy crap. I guess it's best to get the Fighter Jackpot on the first multiball, but I like how the Landings carry over from one multiball to the next. I don't get many Landings so this was the first time I noticed this. *blush*

Quoted from Gov:

Please report back!

I need to order the switches first!

I discovered the wire gate in my ball trough is broken tonight. I think it's been this way all along. Whenever a ball drains I can hear the trough shuffling the balls around a few times and then it stops.

Does anyone have a picture of the ball trough and/or know what the gate is supposed to look like? I can't find a part number in the manual. Maybe it's not a gate? I just have the broken part to go on.

[EDIT] Is this it?
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/12-6542

#542 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Does anyone have a picture of the ball trough and/or know what the gate is supposed to look like? I can't find a part number in the manual. Maybe it's not a gate? I just have the broken part to go on

There's a picture here from a PinBot, trough is the same.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outhole-kicker-weak#post-59486

I think that would do the trick

#543 5 years ago

BALL RETURN GATE.png

That would be the gate you need.

Don't forget Planetary Pinball has the complete parts catalogs on their website.

#544 5 years ago
Quoted from Snux:

There's a picture here from a PinBot, trough is the same.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/outhole-kicker-weak#post-59486

I think that would do the trick

Yep, that's what it looks like. I still have part of the old one and it matches up to your picture.

Quoted from Ghoen:

That would be the gate you need.
Don't forget Planetary Pinball has the complete parts catalogs on their website.

Damn, I wish they showed the lengths of each side. I have wire and a bender from Marco so I could just make the gate myself but I don't know how long the wire should be before each bend. I could wing it, but if I screw up I don't have a lot of wire.

#545 5 years ago

In case you F-14 owners missed it, Jean-Luc Picard has pop bumper decals available for Tomcat now. I just installed mine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-chrome-cap-decals-helps-with-led-caps/page/4#post-1832556

#546 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

Woohoo!!! Just broke my high score! 4,688,910!

You're getting somewhere now friend.
Before you know it, you'll be rolling the displays back to zero & beyond.

#547 5 years ago
Quoted from mbott1701:

In case you F-14 owners missed it, Jean-Luc Picard has pop bumper decals available for Tomcat now. I just installed mine.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/terminator-2-chrome-cap-decals-helps-with-led-caps/page/4#post-1832556

Pretty nice. I just order a Comet red/white bumper ring for my F-14. I'll see how that turns out and then maybe look at making my own decal.

Quoted from SPeD66:

You're getting somewhere now friend.

Ha! I wish!

#548 5 years ago
Quoted from Fifty:

There is an unofficial F-14 ROM that divides the scores by 10 (since the last digit on the display is always zero in the regular game, dividing by 10 to get 'bigger' scores works). I don't think it's been tested beyond me (using pinmame) and the author in his actual F-14, but it's an easy way to make rolling the game over take 10 times longer

I have a copy of the ROM files but can't share them. If anyone is interested, there is a thread about it on the pinhacks site here, maybe the author will share them.

http://pinhacks.com/showthread.php?tid=110

I ran it in my F-14 "Second Sortie" when I was working on pinmame a while back. Here's a picture :

http://www.pinballcontrollers.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=237.0;attach=567

#549 5 years ago
Quoted from SPeD66:

My F-14 never was generous enough to let me score that high, or maybe I'm a terrible player...

#550 5 years ago

Yeah, I think I have a long way to go before I roll the display. I can dream though!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
$ 17.00
$ 99.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Sales
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 14.50
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
There are 4107 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 83.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside