(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,615 posts
  • 470 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 43 hours ago by GRUMPY
  • Topic is favorited by 205 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5342 (resized).jpeg
20240421_172524.jpg
20240421_172419.jpg
20240421_172459.jpg
20240421_172410.jpg
sample (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
IMG_0235 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5330 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240421_191638_All PDF Reader (resized).jpg
20240420_160918.jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_5286 (resized).jpeg
20240415_204854.jpg
2024-04-1520.55.50581660535718955564.jpg
IMG_5273 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 113.
#5001 2 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Pinsound announced Sys11 stuff in the works for 2022

the pinsound guys told me more than a year ago that sys11a&b compatible boards were close to being released. will it be amazing when we get them? absolutely. am i holding my breath that it'll be any time soon? nope.

1 week later
#5002 2 years ago

Can somebody explain to me how the snubber board system works? I am not getting any coils, and maybe no flashers as well, on the coils that are tied to the various snubber boards. I have 35V on the 28V and DRV tabs on the snubber boards, but 0V on the coils and the flashers. I don’t know if that’s normal, as I do have voltage on coils like slings.

When I start a game the ball kicks into the shooter lane and a plunge triggers the diverter, it goes to the right center kickout/lock, and then it awards bonus and goes to ball 2. If I take a ball and roll it up into the upper right upkicker it doesn’t fire. With the sound all the way off I can hear the relay activate each time it tries, and it then awards me a switch hit to that shot and alternates that.

#5003 2 years ago

Anyone have a transformer they can sell me for our F-14 Tomcat? If so please pm so we can get this guy back in the air, Thanks!

#5004 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Can somebody explain to me how the snubber board system works? I am not getting any coils, and maybe no flashers as well, on the coils that are tied to the various snubber boards. I have 35V on the 28V and DRV tabs on the snubber boards, but 0V on the coils and the flashers. I don’t know if that’s normal, as I do have voltage on coils like slings.
When I start a game the ball kicks into the shooter lane and a plunge triggers the diverter, it goes to the right center kickout/lock, and then it awards bonus and goes to ball 2. If I take a ball and roll it up into the upper right upkicker it doesn’t fire. With the sound all the way off I can hear the relay activate each time it tries, and it then awards me a switch hit to that shot and alternates that.

I'm not totally sure how they work to be honest, but i have had to replace them before on my last machine. I've also replaced the resistors on many of them as I could see they were badly burned.

I believe www.bigdaddy-enterprises.com has these available.

#5005 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-snubber-board-resistor-value#post-1197492

#5006 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Can somebody explain to me how the snubber board system works?

The transistor on the CPU is not powerful enough to drive a 50 volt 23/800 coil. It will smoke! So Williams had the transistor turn on a snubber board which turns on the 50 volt coil.

A snubber board has a relay and a resistor/cap to suppress the spikes that happen when a coil fires.

Quoted from desertT1:

I am not getting any coils, and maybe no flashers as well

Flashers are not tied to the snubber boards, they are tied to the A/C relay and resistor boards. You have no power on the orange flasher wire because the A/C relay is in the A side for coils and not in the C side for flashers.

Quoted from desertT1:

I have 35V on the 28V and DRV tabs on the snubber boards, but 0V on the coils

You have a burnt fuse in the back box, this fuse powers all 50 volt coils.

#5007 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The transistor on the CPU is not powerful enough to drive a 50 volt 23/800 coil. It will smoke! So Williams had the transistor turn on a snubber board which turns on the 50 volt coil.
A snubber board has a relay and a resistor/cap to suppress the spikes that happen when a coil fires.

Flashers are not tied to the snubber boards, they are tied to the A/C relay and resistor boards. You have no power on the orange flasher wire because the A/C relay is in the A side for coils and not in the C side for flashers.

You have a burnt fuse in the back box, this fuse powers all 50 volt coils.

Here is what I’ve tracked down at this point. The area circled in red is a 2.5A fuse just off of the flipper power supply board. I have 70V on both sides and the fuse tests good when removed. We see the circuit goes to 8P4 which I can’t find listed as a board so I’m guessing that’s a connector that can be undone to remove the playfield. Moving onto the green circle the wire goes to the shooter lane feeder, which is working. Moving to the white circle these are the items that are not working. Since I have power at the fuse and the shooter lane coil works but seems to have it’s own ground I am guessing I am looking for a loose wire in the daisy chain of the items circled in white? I looked at them and everything looks ok, but I won’t be able to dig around until later.

9A1EC6D8-C8B6-44F7-A4C0-1E865A80C8AE (resized).jpeg9A1EC6D8-C8B6-44F7-A4C0-1E865A80C8AE (resized).jpeg
#5008 2 years ago
Quoted from desertT1:

Since I have power at the fuse and the shooter lane coil works but seems to have it’s own ground I am guessing I am looking for a loose wire in the daisy chain of the items circled in white?

You either have a break on the 50 volt violet/yellow wire or you have a break on the 24 volt red/white wire on the snubber relays. Easy way to tell which is to put in coil test for one of the non working coils, then see if the relay is clicking.

#5009 2 years ago

Thanks to my buddy JAR23 I joined the F-14 club. This one is dirty but is in pretty good shape overall. This is a great game, my dad owned one several years ago and I always enjoyed it. I am looking for the sticker kit for the upper clear plastics that Dreg604 was selling. I sent him a PM but he hasn't been on since Nov 9th. Does anyone have an extra set for sale?

Also my right sling shot plastic is broke and I am looking for one of those, but I may just end up getting a whole new set of plastics. How well does the CPR plastics set match the playfield? Some of CPR's stuff is really good and some doesn't match.

f-14 stickers (resized).pngf-14 stickers (resized).png
#5010 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

I am looking for the sticker kit for the upper clear plastics that Dreg604 was selling. I sent him a PM but he hasn't been on since Nov 9th. Does anyone have an extra set for sale?

ebay.com link: itm

#5011 2 years ago
Quoted from SonOfaDiddly:

ebay.com link: itm

Thanks, I sent him a message on Ebay asking if he will be listing any more.

#5012 2 years ago

The upper loop shots on my F-14 feel bad, really hard to hit. Anyone have tips for how to tune this game to play well? Going to shop it soon and want to dial it in.

#5013 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

The upper loop shots on my F-14 feel bad, really hard to hit. Anyone have tips for how to tune this game to play well? Going to shop it soon and want to dial it in.

Make sure metal is clean and straight with no bumps.

#5014 2 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You either have a break on the 50 volt violet/yellow wire or you have a break on the 24 volt red/white wire on the snubber relays. Easy way to tell which is to put in coil test for one of the non working coils, then see if the relay is clicking.

Man, this was super annoying, but I think I have it figured out. The purple-yellow wire comes in from the head through a bundle and starts at the coils at the bottom left with the playfield lifted. Then it travels along the back of the playfield to the bottom right which is the popper and continues on its counter-clockwise path. Well between the coil at the bottom right (there are two tucked there) and the popper I lose continuity with the fuse.

What I think is there is a break in the wire between the popper and the previous coil. The wire is in the lugs just as a daisy chain would be, so I think the wire is broken inside the insulator. How fun does that sound? To test I did a jumper from one of the good coils to the first bad one and the game plays perfectly. Man, that was nuts, but thanks for the sanity check and keeping me from chasing issues in the snubbers that wouldn’t have existed. Now time to replace the wire and confirm the issue.

F4E16DC8-23B6-4A69-B57B-8548316CDDD9 (resized).jpegF4E16DC8-23B6-4A69-B57B-8548316CDDD9 (resized).jpeg
#5015 2 years ago

Anyone powder coat their wireforms? Maybe gloss black. What do you think? Ive seen red but think its too much.

#5016 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Anyone powder coat their wireforms? Maybe gloss black.

Flat black or grey would go with the military theme.

1 week later
#5017 2 years ago

Squeaky beacons… anyone know how to fix? I can’t tell what exactly squeaks.

#5018 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Squeaky beacons… anyone know how to fix?

Try a drop of CLP on each reflector shaft bushing.

#5019 2 years ago

My Launcher lane wire form weld is broke. Anywhere to buy another?

#5020 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Mine recently broke as well. I designed a simple 3D printed part which holds it down from the top which works very well. I can share the STL if you want to go that route.

20220207_180908 (resized).jpg20220207_180908 (resized).jpg20220207_180923 (resized).jpg20220207_180923 (resized).jpg
#5021 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

There have been several F14 wire ramps on eBay recently

Quoted from GRUMPY:

Try a drop of CLP on each reflector shaft bushing.

Where has this stuff been all my life? Curious what else it is good for

#5022 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Where has this stuff been all my life? Curious what else it is good for

Cleaning and lubricating you gun of choice.

#5023 2 years ago
Quoted from DuffysArcade:

Mine recently broke as well. I designed a simple 3D printed part which holds it down from the top which works very well. I can share the STL if you want to go that route.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice, but mines broke at the bottom. Doesn’t effect the Game Play but I want it replaced! lol. EBay has every for. But this one…lol.

#5024 2 years ago

Do you know where I can find the metal part replacement?

20220211_155306 (resized).jpg20220211_155306 (resized).jpg
#5025 2 years ago
Quoted from A1k71:

Do you know where I can find the metal part replacement?
[quoted image]

The lane guide try cliffy passion for pinball he makes a lot of them and if not for f14 yet he might be interested in doing so.

#5026 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

The lane guide try cliffy passion for pinball he makes a lot of them and if not for f14 yet he might be interested in doing so.

I bet it crosses over with other machines, so likely he has it.

#5027 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Guides ordered. Thank you!!!!

#5028 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

Anyone powder coat their wireforms? Maybe gloss black. What do you think? Ive seen red but think its too much.

I did mine in Red, White and Blue. Love them!

Quoted from radium:

20211222_163058 (resized).jpg20211222_163058 (resized).jpg20211222_163104 (resized).jpg20211222_163104 (resized).jpg
#5029 2 years ago
Quoted from radium:

I bought an extra set of ramps when mine were out being powdercoated. When mine came back. I the extra set powdercoated the same as mine because someone wanted them. Then the buyer flaked out on me. So I have an extra set.

#5030 2 years ago
Quoted from CTHOMAS1998:

I bought an extra set of ramps when mine were out being powdercoated. When mine came back. I the extra set powdercoated the same as mine because someone wanted them. Then the buyer flaked out on me. So I have an extra set.

What color are they? How much?

#5031 2 years ago

I like this mod on the backwall flasher domes (I saw it on the beginning of this threat).
Do you know the part name\number for those Blue and White domes??

f-14 back domes (resized).jpgf-14 back domes (resized).jpg
#5032 2 years ago

#03-8149-9
#03-8149-10
#03-8149-13

are what i used to redo my plastics

#5033 2 years ago

#03-8149-9
#03-8149-10
#03-8149-13
are what i used to redo my plastics

Thank you!!

#5034 2 years ago

lol those 6 on the back are the only ones on the playfield I didn't redo with NOS because getting the rivets out of the structural pieces of the playfield plastics in order to reuse them was an utter, absolute, bitch

#5035 2 years ago

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/312890457546373/

Decided to sell mine to free up some cash before TPF.
Clearcoated PF, comet sunlight leds, powdercoated legs and siderails, very nice cabinet.

In case anyone knows someone wanting to join the club.

#5036 2 years ago

Just arrived.

20220217_145042 (resized).jpg20220217_145042 (resized).jpg
#5037 2 years ago

How well does the CPR plastics set match the Outside Edge HardTop for F-14? Is Outside Edge going to be making plastic sets anytime soon?

#5038 2 years ago
Quoted from ita47:

How well does the CPR plastics set match the Outside Edge HardTop for F-14? Is Outside Edge going to be making plastic sets anytime soon?

I wish they would, OE has been very good to deal with. I wish they’d make future spa plastics!!!

#5039 2 years ago

I was wondering what is the best way to make the audio sound clearer? and which LED kit do your recommend? Thanks

#5040 2 years ago

Also I'm not seeing a setting for ball saves. It seems like our machine never gives you a ball save except for the flight insurance on ball three.

#5041 2 years ago
Quoted from cntrydisney:

Also I'm not seeing a setting for ball saves. It seems like our machine never gives you a ball save except for the flight insurance on ball three.

There is no traditional ball save on it. Flight insurance is only for yakov return or third ball if you have shitty ball time.

#5042 2 years ago

it's not really a ball save; you get it only on ball 3 and only if your other two balls didn't meet a minimum threshold of play time:

Screenshot 2022-02-21 120608 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-02-21 120608 (resized).png

...and optionally on the Yagov kicker:

Screenshot 2022-02-21 120715 (resized).pngScreenshot 2022-02-21 120715 (resized).png

i was very happy with Comet's kit and service- they basically sent me a whole new kit after we realized i needed bayonet bulbs because i had sockets and not boards. their recommendation to put pink led's under the orange inserts is a great one, by the way

#5043 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

There is no traditional ball save on it. Flight insurance is only for yakov return or third ball if you have shitty ball time.

it's not really a ball save; you get it only on ball 3 and only if your other two balls didn't meet a minimum threshold of play time:
[quoted image]
...and optionally on the Yagov kicker:
[quoted image]
i was very happy with Comet's kit and service- they basically sent me a whole new kit after we realized i needed bayonet bulbs because i had sockets and not boards. their recommendation to put pink led's under the orange inserts is a great one, by the way

Gotcha. Then what is the Fly Again just below Flight Insurance? We have it on free play, but it doesn't give you the Flight Insurance. It says You are insured when your 3rd ball drains but then ends your game.

#5044 2 years ago
Quoted from cntrydisney:

Gotcha. Then what is the Fly Again just below Flight Insurance? We have it on free play, but it doesn't give you the Flight Insurance. It says You are insured when your 3rd ball drains but then ends your game.

Extra ball is fly again.

If it says you are insured it should relaunch the ball if it doesn't your trough switches might not be working right.

#5045 2 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

Extra ball is fly again.
If it says you are insured it should relaunch the ball if it doesn't your trough switches might not be working right.

Gotcha. It sounded like Fly Again would be a ball save. Thanks for the correction

#5046 2 years ago

The wireform for the upper right ball lock is broken on an F14 that I am currently working on. Im going to attempt to have it TIG welded. But if that fails does anyone have a spare they would sell?

TIA

Flash

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-89358964 (resized).jpegUSER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image-89358964 (resized).jpeg
#5047 2 years ago

lookin for this set of sticker(s), cant find it anywhere.
Any suggestion will be really appreciated

Sticker (resized).jpgSticker (resized).jpg
#5048 2 years ago
Quoted from A1k71:

lookin for this set of sticker(s), cant find it anywhere.
Any suggestion will be really appreciated
[quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/101#post-6738724

#5049 2 years ago

How many of you guys would be interested in an alternate translite that was more themed with TOP GUN queues?

#5050 2 years ago
Quoted from cntrydisney:

You’ll need to get the correct version of ROMs that has the Yagov kickback ball save (flight insurance) as well as the third ball low score flight insurance.

https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/f-14-tomcat-pinball-cpu-rom-set-l-1-u26-u27-williams-eprom/

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 5,615 posts in this topic. You are on page 101 of 113.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-tomcat-owners-club-fans-also-welcome/page/101?hl=arcadebar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.