(Topic ID: 66172)

F14 Tomcat Owners Club Fans Also Welcome.

By Hellfire

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 5,001 posts
  • 409 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by Initiative
  • Topic is favorited by 179 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
20220108_174204 (resized).jpg
20220108_174151 (resized).jpg
1292031E-E0B4-43F2-8C53-7B045BD166ED (resized).jpeg
received_332701228677836 (resized).jpeg
received_830023805064299 (resized).jpeg
received_1583763941962047 (resized).jpeg
299D1604-E93E-44C4-9A72-658EE9FBC0E4 (resized).jpeg
97005504-F6C5-4A99-9AF8-92CEA76E043D (resized).jpeg
50BF13C3-62A8-4041-960C-3376C4A53D53 (resized).jpeg
USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--403926222 (resized).jpeg
9fe8a796ee3558c2b5bbdd2ff0db43e68bd5f11c (1) (resized).png
72A4A02D-296B-451C-837A-3A748FE93BE6 (resized).png
20211108_141638 (resized).jpg
20210412_140913 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

19 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 5,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 101.
#4951 54 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Looks like a Hardtop is in he works??
[quoted image]

Changes the plan for my F-14

#4952 54 days ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Changes the plan for my F-14

I installed a new PF in an early run. Huge PITA (although a great experience)! So ya, a hardtop is good!

#4953 54 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

I installed a new PF in an early run. Huge PITA (although a great experience)! So ya, a hardtop is good!
//<![CDATA[
window.__mirage2 = {petok:"07788b168350beda7d349db8871f6a89713515c7-1638196057-1800"};
//]]>

I was not going to swap this playfield! I considered it but would not get time and money back more than likely. I was just going to fix the inserts redecal and put a playfield protector on. Hardtop is way better option now! Considering how far I would need to tear down.

#4954 54 days ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

I was not going to swap this playfield! I considered it but would not get time and money back more than likely. I was just going to fix the inserts redecal and put a playfield protector on. Hardtop is way better option now! Considering how far I would need to tear down.

I would think redecal and pf protector is still way less work than removing the entire topside no?

#4955 54 days ago
Quoted from byurick:

I would think redecal and pf protector is still way less work than removing the entire topside no?

I still need to tear the whole topside down. So work is about the same. Outcome would be considerably different in long term. Maybe an extra day of time? Cost of playfield protector and decals is almost 240. So for a extra 80 bucks, and the extra day I’m game! Still beats a playfield swap by a mile.

#4956 53 days ago
Quoted from byurick:

No!
I did that and it sucked! I absolutely hated the protector! But, if you don't mind shit getting under it all the time then go for it. It is a simple solution for raised inserts. But I want a nice playfield. I'm really anal about the playfields.
As to re decal, absolutely! Much easier than stencil kit. I did it on F-14. Just make sure the prep work is good. Install the front decal first and align the sides to it. Dry method with weights. Easy Peesy.

#4957 53 days ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

I was not going to swap this playfield! I considered it but would not get time and money back more than likely.

I lost my ass! But it was one of those labor of love things and I didn't care. I also went nuts on the rest of the machine! Was probably one of the nicest F-14's out there! But you could probably get your money back on it now.
Never mind though! Hard Top is the way to go!

#4958 53 days ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

I still need to tear the whole topside down. So work is about the same. Outcome would be considerably different in long term. Maybe an extra day of time? Cost of playfield protector and decals is almost 240. So for a extra 80 bucks, and the extra day I’m game! Still beats a playfield swap by a mile.

You do not need to tear down the whole topside to install a protector. A Hard top is going to be a hell of a lot more work than installing a protector because of all the prep work to do it right and you do need to completely tear down the top side. But it's easy compared to a playfield swap!!
Hell, you could install a protector without even having to remove the playfield from cab!
I suggest you study this thread.. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/official-hardtops-thread

#4959 48 days ago

Hello, I’m having the Yarkov kickback, the gate next to it and all of the upper Tom cat standup targets working intermittently, anyone ever have this issue before? The 2 flashers above the upper Tom cat stand upswing look like they are working either but everything else seems to be working as it should. Any help would be appreciated, feel free to text, thanks

#4960 48 days ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Hello, I’m having the Yarkov kickback, the gate next to it and all of the upper Tom cat standup targets working intermittently, anyone ever have this issue before? The 2 flashers above the upper Tom cat stand upswing look like they are working either but everything else seems to be working as it should. Any help would be appreciated, feel free to text, thanks

Intermittent sounds like a switch not registering. Do you know how to use the buttons in the coin door to get into switch test?

Once you start the switch test, test each switch with the ball (not your finger) if they're working properly the switch number should show on the displays.

#4961 48 days ago

Upon closer inspection, the switches you listed are all in the same column of the switch matrix. You probably have a bad diode or a short somewhere in there.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca-image--403926222 (resized).jpeg
#4962 48 days ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Upon closer inspection, the switches you listed are all in the same column of the switch matrix. You probably have a bad diode or a short somewhere in there.[quoted image]

Definitely something with the green violet wire, looks like previous board work has been done, maybe not too well, gen/vlt is the first post on this clip, thanks for help. Will update soon

50BF13C3-62A8-4041-960C-3376C4A53D53 (resized).jpeg
#4963 48 days ago

When I first was trying to figure this out I saw that a lot of the cement resistors for the flashers had broken off. I replaced the center ones and removed the outer ones so I can swap in LED flashers. Well, the flashers might all work when I swap those in, but this is still happening. If you listen close you can hear at least one relay click right before it says “you are insured”.

#4964 48 days ago

I doubt that issue is related. Is the 2.5SB fuse in the center on the right in the backbox still OK?

#4965 48 days ago
Quoted from koen12344:

I doubt that issue is related. Is the 2.5SB fuse in the center on the right in the backbox still OK?

I just pulled it and it tests as good.

#4966 47 days ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Definitely something with the green violet wire, looks like previous board work has been done, maybe not too well, gen/vlt is the first post on this clip, thanks for help. Will update soon[quoted image]

Definitely something with the green violet wire, looks like previous board work has been done, maybe not too well, gen/vlt is the first post on this clip, thanks for help. Will update soon[quoted image]

Touched up the board best I could and everything is working mechanically still dot have flasher 7 working apparently but will dig into that at a later time, thanks

#4967 47 days ago
Quoted from Iamthelaw:

Touched up the board best I could and everything is working mechanically still dot have flasher 7 working apparently but will dig into that at a later time, thanks

The two flashers above the upper tomcat targets were typically removed from the machine because they had a lot of issues with the lamp base shorting out on the target brackets.

On my machine, theres not even sockets for these flashers.

#4968 43 days ago

The two flashers above the upper tomcat targets were typically removed from the machine because they had a lot of issues with the lamp base shorting out on the target brackets.
On my machine, theres not even sockets for these flashers.

Still looking into flashers noticed a bad diode on the relay board on the right side of the play field not sure if this was causing some issues or not

#4969 42 days ago
Quoted from Mr_Outlane:

Looks like a Hardtop is in the works??
[quoted image]

97005504-F6C5-4A99-9AF8-92CEA76E043D (resized).jpeg
#4970 42 days ago

Ordered one ourselves!

#4971 42 days ago
Quoted from Coyohtay:

Ordered one ourselves!

Awesome! I hope that you post some pics and any tips and tricks.

#4972 42 days ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Awesome! I hope that you post some pics and any tips and tricks.

I have a playfield that I had stripped the top clean of parts and removed all the inserts already. I need to install those inserts and sand the top. Thankfully I have one in the machine thats beat, but playable, so I have references and can scavenge any better parts (or missing ones). Will probably do some videoing during the process and throw together a video

#4973 42 days ago

Hardtops are really fun, until the adhesive fails and all your hard work is for nothing and you have to start over....

That being said, I love how they play. Just bitter after having see one fail after all that.

#4974 39 days ago

Hi all-recently joined the club and really enjoying this game. A really brutal game, but very rewarding when I beat Yagov!

I have a question regarding the ROM. My ROM journey started with trying to calm down the Yagov kickback. I couldn’t find the adjustment in the menu, so I checked the RoMs to see what level software the game was at—the ROMs are labelled Proto—can this be right?

299D1604-E93E-44C4-9A72-658EE9FBC0E4 (resized).jpeg
#4975 39 days ago
Quoted from Pinballdad1961:

I have a question regarding the ROM. My ROM journey started with trying to calm down the Yagov kickback. I couldn’t find the adjustment in the menu, so I checked the RoMs to see what level software the game was at—the ROMs are labelled Proto—can this be right?

Yep Williams shipped with proto roms when that was what was available. Any of your favorite ROM burning services can get you the latest. Upgrade sound roms as well if they are proto.

#4976 39 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

Yep Williams shipped with proto roms when that was what was available. Any of your favorite ROM burning services can get you the latest. Upgrade sound roms as well if they are proto.

I had all proto roms in my game as well.
Have changed the game rom to L1 recently
Does it really make sense to change all the sound and speech roms as well-is there any difference to the proto ones?

#4977 38 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

In Pinmame we only have the L1 sound roms.
No other files available right now.
If the sound roms are indeed proto, just should save them.

2 weeks later
#4978 23 days ago

Just a friendly reminder that when you change your pop bumper body and skirt out, remember to check the switch before playing a game.

Pop bumper locked on and I didnt realize it until I smelled it. Several minutes later.

Changed out Q69, its predriver, the resistor, and the 7402. Back in business. Lots of work for what was supposed to be a quick body/ skirt change.

received_830023805064299 (resized).jpegreceived_332701228677836 (resized).jpegreceived_1583763941962047 (resized).jpeg
#4979 23 days ago
Quoted from ArcadeAction:

Lit Kit Flippers installed on F14 - four flippers in the set at https://ArcadeMade.com
[quoted image]

That is Bad Ass!

1 week later
#4980 15 days ago

Hardtop! Now to work out the bugs.

1292031E-E0B4-43F2-8C53-7B045BD166ED (resized).jpeg
#4981 15 days ago
Quoted from FLASHBALL:

Just a friendly reminder that when you change your pop bumper body and skirt out, remember to check the switch before playing a game.
Pop bumper locked on and I didnt realize it until I smelled it. Several minutes later.
Changed out Q69, its predriver, the resistor, and the 7402. Back in business. Lots of work for what was supposed to be a quick body/ skirt change.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The clear bumper body is bad Azz
I wish I would have used the clear bumper body. My yoke was broke so still need some parts. Hmmm.

#4982 14 days ago

Hoping for some help from the community. My 3-flasher bank on the right side has 2 yellow wires which were hanging unsoldered when I got the game. They are Flashers 4C & 6C. Neither flasher works obviously. I cant find under the playfield where these need to be soldered to. Can anyone lend a hand with a few photos? Thanks!

20220108_174151 (resized).jpg20220108_174204 (resized).jpg
#4983 13 days ago

Theyre both supposed to be soldered to the tab with the red wires of the middle flasher

#4984 13 days ago
Quoted from JT-Pinball:

Hardtop! Now to work out the bugs.
[quoted image]

Did Outside Edge really use the weird rounded “Flight Insurance” lettering on the insert? My original has both words horizontal

#4985 12 days ago
Quoted from Vahalas:

Did Outside Edge really use the weird rounded “Flight Insurance” lettering on the insert? My original has both words horizontal

There’s a lot of bizarre problems with the insert lettering. I put mine back in the box till I decide how much it bugs me. I’ll probably just restore my original and sell this. I have four other machines that need hardtops but this really soured me on them.

#4986 9 days ago

Been working out the bugs on my recently acquired f14 and I need two 5647-12133-01 switches. Everywhere I search sais there not available. Has anyone figured out an alternative for these?

#4987 9 days ago
Quoted from Rcrain82:

Been working out the bugs on my recently acquired f14 and I need two 5647-12133-01 switches. Everywhere I search sais there not available. Has anyone figured out an alternative for these?

Where are they used? Usually you can get the straight actuator microswitch and bend to suit.

#4988 9 days ago

is the switch for the habitrail rollthroughs? I replaced mine with these: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5647-12693-01

#4989 9 days ago

They go to the two center kick outs that the launcher can divert to

#4990 9 days ago

Hi everyone,

I am the proud new owner of an F-14 Tomcat.

I created a topic a few days ago and I would be very happy if you could look at it and give me your expert opinions. My apologies for not making a post on this one start from the beginning...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-f-14-tomcat-owner-seeking-advice-and-expertise#post-6712246

#4991 9 days ago
Quoted from Rcrain82:

They go to the two center kick outs that the launcher can divert to

On the ramps? Looks like the one SonOfaDiddly linked to would work there. You can also move your actuators if you have them over to a new microswitch. Are you sure the switches are bad? Sometimes you have to loosen the mount and rotate it to get it work again. I had to do that on mine for sure and I'm pretty sure I moved the actuator over to another new switch for one of them.

#4992 8 days ago
Quoted from slochar:

On the ramps? Looks like the one SonOfaDiddly linked to would work there. You can also move your actuators if you have them over to a new microswitch. Are you sure the switches are bad? Sometimes you have to loosen the mount and rotate it to get it work again. I had to do that on mine for sure and I'm pretty sure I moved the actuator over to another new switch for one of them.

The ones on the ramps are working. It’s the ones down in the two pockets right infront of the kickers

#4994 8 days ago

That’s them but there discontinued everywhere I look

#4995 8 days ago
Quoted from Rcrain82:

yeah the one i had to replace was discontinued as well. 35 years is a long time. it was a pain in the ass but the metal arm literally snapped, two balls got stuck in that left pocket because the machine didn't know they were both there and the coil snapped its bracket trying to kick them both out

#4996 8 days ago
Quoted from Rcrain82:

Yeah gotta adapt what is available. Sounds daunting but pretty easy with some pliers.

#4997 8 days ago

So do you by chance have a part number for a straight one that I could bend as needed? Are all of those switches the same minus the shape of the wire? Sorry for all of the questions but I’m still kinda new to all of this.

#4999 8 days ago

So, Pinsound announced Sys11 stuff in the works for 2022. If that is going to be back to F14, ther will be Top Gun soundtrack cuts getting added on mine for sure. Danger Zone? Plus others, so many things could make it in!

#5000 8 days ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

So, Pinsound announced Sys11 stuff in the works for 2022. If that is going to be back to F14, ther will be Top Gun soundtrack cuts getting added on mine for sure. Danger Zone? Plus others, so many things could make it in!

That will be amazing

There are 5,001 posts in this topic. You are on page 100 of 101.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside