• 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by StratDoc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

Pin 12 is high in attract mode. Pin 11 no reading in attract mode or with game start. Pin 13 low in attract mode
and low with game start.

Display fuse on power supply blown which probably explains the display. Replaced fuse and it blew again. Ordered a rebuild kit from Action Pinball.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Pin 12 is high in attract mode.

This should be low when the CPU boots, you said the blanking led turns on now which takes a low signal. This means a trace is broken between pin 12 of U-50 and pin 2 of U-55. Do a ohm check to verify this. You may need a jumper to repair it.

#53 6 years ago

Traveling for work so will pick it back up next weekend. Damn work!

#54 6 years ago

You got to eat.

#55 6 years ago

Amen to that. Back from work travel and back at working on the board. I am first tackling the power supply repair. I replaced C1 and C3, and a bad diode on the power supply. I am now getting 100 volts from the power supply to the display and the corresponding 2 amp fuse is no longer blowing. However, the display is still not working.

I have not tackled the jumper to address the bad trace. Would like to get the display working first so I can at least have diagnostics.

Thanks

#56 6 years ago

Check the blanking signal going to the display and the 5 volt signal going to the display.

#57 6 years ago

Blanking LED on MPU is lit, and there is 5 volts from the power supply to display.

#58 6 years ago

Okay trying to diagnose the blanking signal. U51 pin 4 is pulsing in attract mode. U43 pin 3 is low.

#59 6 years ago

Still need help.

Okay trying to diagnose the blanking signal.

Attract mode

Pin 4 U51 is pulsing
Pin 13 at U36 is pulsing
Pin 12 U36 is pulsing
Pin 6 u43 is NOT pulsing

Pin 6 u43 showing a constant 1.39 volts

#60 6 years ago

Check for pulses on both sides of C-57.

#61 6 years ago

Both sides of c57 are pulsing.

I also checked 1J3 pin 12 and it is testing high. The leg of R137 prior to the blanking led is also showing high. It does start low and then switch to high. u43 pin 3 also shows high. What the heck is going on with this board?

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

The leg of R137 prior to the blanking led is also showing high

R-137 is high on both sides. The low to turn on the led comes from the other side of the led.

Quoted from StratDoc:Both sides of c57 are pulsing.

This is good.

Quoted from StratDoc:

u43 pin 3 also shows high

This is good.

Quoted from StratDoc:

I also checked 1J3 pin 12 and it is testing high

This is good, but this is not the blanking signal used for the displays as there is no wire on pin 12. This same signal also goes to U-55 pin 1, it is changed to a low and lights the blanking led and goes to 1J22 ribbon cable and then to the display.

Keep after it! Your getting closer.

#63 6 years ago

U55 pin 1 is high. Pin 2 at 1J22 is low - the pin that sends the blanking signal to the displays. So is something else going on and it is not the blanking signal? I still don't understand why I am getting no pulse at pin 6 of U43, and yet the blanking circuit appears to be working correctly.

#64 6 years ago

Pins 1-8 on U44 have no signal, but shouldn't that be the signal to the first score display?

#65 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Pins 1-8 on U44 have no signal, but shouldn't that be the signal to the first score display?

Strobes are for turning on each digit of the display, strobes 1-8 go to player 1 and player 3. If your getting strobes 9-16 then you should have displays 2 and 4 on.

Quoted from StratDoc:Pin 2 at 1J22 is low - the pin that sends the blanking signal to the displays.

Is it getting to the display? Maybe a bad ribbon cable.

#66 6 years ago

So u44 pins 1-8 defintely not working. Pins 9-16 are sending a signal but displays 2 and 4 are not working.

Yes, the blanking signal is getting to the display. The Xpin has exposed pin connections and checking pin 2 on the display with the ribbon cable attached shows a low signal.

Completely stumped with this board.

#67 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Pins 9-16 are sending a signal but displays 2 and 4 are not working.

Is there data being sent on 1J3 for display 4. Also need data on 1J22 for display 2.

1 week later
#68 6 years ago

Displays are now working!

An odd thing now with the sound. It works during the diagnostic sound test. The music, however, does not play for each player. For example, music and sound for player 1. No music but target sounds for player 2. Music for player 3, ....

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from StratDoc:

Displays are now working!

Great what did you find?

#70 6 years ago

Grumpy,

First, THANK YOU! You have been terrific helping me work on this. I have learned a lot. Now if I can get the sound issue fixed. I am going to start a new post and mark this one as resolved

I finally decided it was well beyond my capabilities so I sent it to Ed Cheung. Here is what he said. The last quote makes no sense to me but maybe you understand it.

"Several problems with the solenoid circuit that I repaired and your displays had a really odd problem. A few of the outputs were shorted together, so toggling them all (my standard test) showed no problems, but attempting individual output did not work."

"On System 11, the CPU controls each of the segments of the display, but in a bus/multiplexed fashion. The segments on the top row have their own control lines, and the ones on the bottom are separate. Then, each of the columns in the display have their own ‘strobe’ lines. There are 16 strobes corresponding to the 16 digits across. It is really kind of complicated to explain words."

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
5,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vandalia, OH
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 70 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f14-continuing-woes/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.