Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,300 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif
    10E44B61-1E4C-45E9-BBDA-7564B60A38F4.gif
    F3616058-5F66-431E-8798-A832D5BE4CDD (resized).png
    200.gif
    mcribby2 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 11.17.18 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 11.16.36 AM (resized).png
    C29C7B68-5B04-4F51-8E1A-B14E31D0E25C.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#192 75 days ago

n/m

#359 75 days ago
    Quoted from metallik:

We do get it, dude. It's called inflation. And when the cost of all other fun things rise just like pinball is rising, you'll be back to buying games with your similarly increased salary.

similarly increased salary? bwahahahhahahaha. Well...I admit, I do not know how employees compensate in his neck of the woods.

Around here, companies pride themselves on not giving raises year after year while claiming record profits year after year.

#544 74 days ago
    Quoted from Scandell:

Downvote my post if you have never sold one of your games for more than you purchased it for.

I've never bought a game I didn't intend to keep, but also, I've never sold a game. Intention, as with everything is key. Doing it 'just because I can' is a mentality we as a human species need to get away from.

For example, I could wish that right after I buy a game that the factory burns down and no one else gets a game so that the price of mine goes up, but that's a shitty thing to wish for. I'd rather more people have the experience if they want, than worry about f'ing people over for a few $$. Sadly, I'm in the minority regarding that. Greed over everything is indeed the mantra by the majority and they will come up with every reason they can think of to justify it rather than call it what it really is.

#630 73 days ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:It’s not an “employees market”. Stimulus money has caused a lot of the labor issues. How do you expect people to be motivated to go to work when they are making more sitting home in their couch.
    It’s Time for everyone to get back to work.
    Problem is that This inflation isn’t transitory like Powell would want(hope) to believe, the extra stimulus money has caused this inflation and its here to stay.
    Hope you enjoy paying 9k for your Stern Premiums.

Shaming the grunts while encouraging raping both the employees and the consumers. Classic! Maybe, as has been shown repeatedly in the states that ended it early, it isn't the stimulus, but the pandemic waking people up to the fact that their lower wage end employers don't give 2 shits about them, and finding other ways to make money...which indeed has been proven, repeatedly. While others simply refuse to play the game. Yes, you will always have abusers, just like you have CEO's etc, with tons of loopholes that allow them to not pay taxes, or simply don't pay them, and then use attourneys to get out of jail time. You know, America!

#632 73 days ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

I have 2 working pins at the present time, Mando LE and MMR. The Mando LE easily feels substantial, IMO, in comparision to MMR. Over time, who knows? Seems for now though that Mando LE is a well executed design and built like a tank.

I will agree that all the CGC games I've played feel...more fragile...than others, but that being said, my MBr has been flawless.

#687 73 days ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

Most importantly, the guy at Sega who made the little DMD icons for the operator menu better be getting royalty checks from Stern! (I kid, I kid.) 20+ years of service!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Hah! That's some funny stuff.

#689 73 days ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

'No Politics' is supposedly the rule here, however the "Capitalism is GREEDY and BAD" crowd always seems to get a pass on that one.

You have that wrong. Capitalism isn't bad. The way people abuse capitalism and then complain about those 'damn poor lazy people abusing the system' is bad. Yep we get it, don't make enough, go find another job...so what are you going to do when no one wants to do your minimum wage jobs? Oh...wait...

#692 73 days ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

...making my point.

Oh I know, but we're talking prices, which is about wages and capitalism, started by the ones saying things like 'what they can't make money?' etc. It is what it is. IMO if you don't complain about price hikes for the sake of complaining, you got way too much money

#702 73 days ago
    Quoted from Gribbs:

My point is that from previous experience here I KNOW: If I reply to a comment coming from a Liberal viewpoint with a Conservative concept, *I* will get my hand slapped by the moderators for 'NO POLITICAL DISCUSSIONS'. The original comments do not seem to be a problem, however.

Where I'm from, greed and capitalism $$, is not exclusive to politics.

#714 72 days ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:

get out of here with your logic and common sense.
    People are trying to be pissed off.
    Seriously though, I cant remember a time in this hobby when people didnt bitch and moan about prices and I was around when things were legit cheap.
    This was going on when original AFMs were going for 2-3k like that was brutal.

Yeah, I mean, obviously lack of memory is a covid long symptom, since the prices of pinballs have been going up up up long before COVID or stimulus. The poor majority of people getting stimulus aren't the ones buying pinball machines. Pure stupidity to continue to bring it up. This group really is out of touch with reality. Inflation was long overdue due to the strong hand being dealt to the fed long before COVID hit. So yes, with all the stimulus in addition to what was already stretched thin, we haven't even begun to feel the pain yet.

It will indeed be interesting to see what the actual breaking point is. My own ceiling is in my mind 10k, which is 8k more than I ever would have admitted to spending on one. I've never spent that much but was prepared to for Alien LV...but even that went up, and I just can't justify it.

#741 72 days ago
    Quoted from explosiveegg:

I'm more annoyed that the thousands of people who had preorders in are now expecting to pay $500-$1000 more for essentially nothing. I think most companies would respect a preorder price. Especially because a lot of those preorders were supposed to be out by now but keep getting delayed.
    I'm in that camp with an EHOH. They're essentially saying, by the way, we didn't make enough last run to get you your preorder, so it's delayed until 2022, and by the way, since we delayed it to 2022, it's going to cost $500 more dollars. To me, that is a shitty thing to do.
    The price increase is expecting. Everything in the US is up in price. We are all aware that the lumber they need, the labor, and the microchips have all gone up significantly in the last year. And that is the stuff we're aware of because it effects other industries. I would be surprised if the other mechs didn't rise as well.
    Not getting political here, as there is good and bad from the situation, but it's interesting to see what adding 20% to the money pool through these stimulus packages on top of a pandemic which stopped manufacturing for a while will do. I think we're just seeing that start of things going up.

I agree in principal, but if their actual costs are higher from the time the orders were taken to the time they build them, they run the risk of saying 'sorry, we'll lose money on these'. We don't know what the actual profit margin is on any given machine, but I assume they have a goal in mind, and right now it is hard to predict what prices will be in 6 months to a year for materials.

#761 72 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Standard pinside pablum.
    Stern are greedy globalists, the rest of the industry are modern day Robin Hoods and mother theresas.
    (Stern sells the cheapest games? Irrelevant!)

I mean lets be honest here. Stern spent a long time just going thru the motions. I've played most all of the games from 2004 to now, and many many of them lack passion and soul (at least that's how I word it). Are they fun? Sure. Are they 6-9k fun? Well...just depends on what you like I guess. The other players coming in did indeed force them to up their game a bit. If you aren't buying them all, then I'm not sure debating price versus other companies matter. People like what they like. I can't even put into words about what I don't like about most Stern games, but it's certainly there. They were the reason I quit even bothering with pinball for so many years. Long before I knew about RPG or Pinside.

#763 72 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I agree with you, but when you make as many games as they do they aren’t all gonna be masterpieces. And most of their true turds came at a time when they were charging $4500 or less
    For games.

I'll agree with that, they certainly do consistently put out games. And yeah, that era was kinda rough.

#830 70 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Inflation is so bad I'm already using $20 bills as toilet paper around here.

That seems like a $2020 problem. You realize they have since restocked the tp right?

#835 70 days ago
    Quoted from robotron:

i am on a 36 month waiting list for a new rolex and i was told i would be bumped to at least 48 months. you guys think you have problems in the stern club, heck, you, should see the rolex club. try competing with billionaires

there's a perfect example of an archaic item that is only used for status lol. Everything under the sun tells you the time these days...and the sun too.

#862 69 days ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Just out of curiosity, would variable pricing be impossible for some reason? Okay, so maybe Godzilla had to be $9K because of all the stuff they crammed into it, but if another title doesn't have as much of said stuff, why couldn't it be, say, $8.5K? Charging the same price for a "lesser" product just invites cries from people who feel like they're being ripped off.
    I'm trying to think of another industry where every variation of a product that a manufacturer releases has to carry the exact same price tag...

There's a point there. Clearly features and cost is not a factor in pricing at Stern. But, people keep saying 'they never pay retail' for Sterns....so no idea.

#889 69 days ago

Well clearly there is a limit to the numbers game. Sure there may be people out there willing to pay 50k for a pinball machine, but you aren't going to sell 12k of them. You get diminishing returns the higher the price goes. You also have a hobby that everyone keeps saying is niche, so that automatically limits the number of people to sell to. You've got multiple companies putting out games. At some point there will be saturation and yes it is completely baffling that the demand for pinball is so high right now and has lasted so long, nostalgia or not.

If we think the prices and demand will continue on for the next 20 years as Levi seems to think, I'm dumping all my stocks and buying pins.

#891 69 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just wish someone could compare pinball to something that the layman can easily understand...toasters?
    Camels?
    It's on the tip of my tongue!

Well that's obvious. Yoyo's.

#907 68 days ago
    Quoted from ilovegames007:

Curious on what price everyone is paying on pros???
    Is it the full 6700?? Or cheaper??

What are pros? We're all ballers here. LE and CE's only. And we pay $2k over MSRP because if you can afford 5k you can afford 12k or you shouldn't be buying pinballs.

#947 66 days ago

Pfft..carwashes. Who can afford that luxury?? but I'd let my kids go hungry before I'd not buy another pinball machine.

#1014 64 days ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Unfortunately, this hobby has now attracted the low-life profiteers, who sweep up as many LEs as they can, then sell them to make an easy few thousands bucks.
    And the really, really sad thing is....people will gladly pay these inflated prices, so the profiteers are here to stay; until the big pinball crash...which is coming.
    I still can't get a PS5 because of these low-life's....but I'm not stupid enough to pay over RRP to get one. I can wait 2 or 3 years no problem.
    The only way to eliminate these people from this hobby is to sting them hard...don't buy what they're selling, leave them with expensive stock. They'll soon scutter back to the trash pile where they came.

I think there are steps some companies could take to lessen some of the buy ups. Like for pinball machines specifically, no transfers, must be shipped to the same name and address that ordered, things of that nature. Isn't going to stop all of it, but would slow some of it down. Of course, they have little incentive to do this because they WANT to sell out.

1 week later
    #1085 55 days ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

look how much of that is outsourced now, compared to back then when everything was made in house. Hard to quality control when you don't make it yourself.

Who needs quality control when people will line up to buy it anyway because "it's my money". And they get the bonus 'it's pinball' that covers all quality issues excuse too!

#1087 55 days ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Mother [email protected]$&%#+’!!!!!!
    I just heard Deadpool pro moved from December 2021 to who the f&[email protected] knows.
    And of course a nearly 1k price increase.
    And of course I paid in full back in June.
    The only good part is I went through a good distributor.
    I’m staying as this is my and my wife’s dream theme and most likely Our only nib game.
    Especially now with the crazy stupid price increases.

Why do you need a 4 year old game NIB? Why not just buy a used one?

#1132 52 days ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Where are all these people coming up with the money? All I see is are help wanted signs from here to Chistmas. Seems like nobody's working. I thought prices on luxury items (pinball etc...) would tumble when then the pandemic hit. I've been wrong then and ever since.

That's because the rich people are still rich. The poor aren't buying pinball machines, they are paying rent, buying food, and gas...and probably Iphones.

#1139 52 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Can we stop pretending smart phones are some kind of a province of the rich that nobody else is entitled to in 2021?
    Try getting a job without a smart phone. I know there’s a few crusty old here who claim they can live their best life without one but it’s pretty Much a basic neccesity in most walks of life these days, rich or poor. It’s not some luxury item where ownership somehow proves you are “gaming the system.”
    It’s basically the same thing as a phone phone for you true geezers out here. Even poor people
    Had a phone back in the day, right?

I think you missed the point entirely...

3 weeks later
    #1252 30 days ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

I'm 23 and look forward to the days of $100 Addams Family machines albeit a bit depressing with the entire community gone and all the parts creators out of business. But I'll have one hell of a basement!
    Pinballing is going be frickin' weird in a few decades... sort of like the 90's again I presume, except even less desirable.
    I find it more depressing than gratifying though... I'd much rather an active community than ample amount of cheap games to buy.

I think in a few decades we'll be more concerned about the electric bill and if we have enough spare change to risk turning them on.

#1257 30 days ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

I'm well aware in the next 30 years, but I'm talking extremely long term (40-50 years) about when I'm the age of most people in the EM section here, the community is dead figuratively and literally, and pinballs are like Hummels most of your grandkids are trying to get out of the garage most via sledgehammer.
    Pinball in 50 years is going to be extremely dystopian. I pray that's not the reality but I don't see my generation picking it up let alone the next ones... and that's questioning playing on location, let alone owning. I think location play will still be a thing but dedicated collectors may be a stretch by that point

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Culturally, humans like to collect/repair old things decades/centuries old. Maybe it will be niche, but then, it's always been niche.

#1272 27 days ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

If Apple lowering production#s for the new iphone, I think shits about t

While I appreciate your sentiment, you can't price gouge a toy.

Funny, you seem to think that you can when regarding your gas hog You do realize that's a toy and unnecessary, and that those are companies too. Just out to make money, as much as they can.

#1278 27 days ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

What, gas isn't essential? And when we know WHY prices have gone up, it's even more bullshit. Stern didn't shut down lines in an effort to create a shortage. Obviously we know people that did with oil.

Gas isn't essential in the way that other things are. And gas guzzlers certainly aren't and are indeed as much of a luxury as pinball. Don't get me wrong, I drive a truck and I complain about gas prices too, but gas and oil is constantly manipulated, and it is way beyond what you are blaming it on. Ask the Russians last year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Russia%E2%80%93Saudi_Arabia_oil_price_war

Pinball is at that weird stage where you would think there's too much competition, but the companies still don't seem to produce enough to meet demand. Resales continue to go up, and people continue to pay for it. It's quite an interesting time. While I complain about the price of pins too...at the same time I find it kind of cool that something I've been (felt) alone in being into for decades is huge again. At some point demand will eventually come back down, we just don't have a clue if it will be in 5 months, 5 years, 5 decades....or maybe they will magically always be sought after, and when they bury us with them, graverobbers will dig them up.

#1283 26 days ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Very true, but a good domestic production capacity can negate foreign manipulation's effect on prices

The whole idea is to keep ours until everyone else runs out, so they can charge as much as they want. At least, in the long game. What really happens is every decade or so they say 'omg we're almost out of oil' to get the prices back up.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside