Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,216 posts
  • 280 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 days ago by kool1
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif
    10E44B61-1E4C-45E9-BBDA-7564B60A38F4.gif
    F3616058-5F66-431E-8798-A832D5BE4CDD (resized).png
    200.gif
    mcribby2 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 11.17.18 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 11.16.36 AM (resized).png
    C29C7B68-5B04-4F51-8E1A-B14E31D0E25C.gif
    Messages Image(4099927298) (resized).png
    steam-train.gif
    PXL_20210920_055315863 (resized).jpg
    8FAD9293-B096-435D-A693-1E60B7B7DEC1 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 39 days ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Looks like I'm going to write off buying sterns - with the new price hike - I just cancelled my deadpool order - It's to a point where they crossed the line. Bummer because they have some titles I still wanted to get. Someone has to start saying no - Looks like I'll be one of them.

Why do you have the same profile pic as zr11990?

#10 39 days ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

In memory of Who-Dey

Thanks, I miss that guy too.

#15 39 days ago

I guess I’ll be the one to say it: these price hikes will help put a floor under used pin prices. I just got an LZ Premium for $7k and I’m feeling downright thrifty.

I didn’t mind paying $500 more for an LCD display, or even a little more for Spike, which has turned out to be a very solid system. But what new feature is going to make someone (even an operator) pay $8999 for a premium? I’m not seeing it. I’m still in for a Rush, if that happens. But I may have to settle for the Pro. First world problems indeed.

#255 39 days ago

So much hate for LZ in this thread. I just got my Premium and it kicks ass! Haters are missing out on a great game.

#369 38 days ago

There’s some funny ass impotent rage up in this thread. Right now Gary’s getting high and laughing so hard he snort-farts and tears are rolling down his cheeks.

Also, LZ rules!!

E72D6361-7A71-4F5F-B1B1-29DF5659893D (resized).jpeg
    #383 38 days ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

All these inflated prices have me thinking about building a Stern Cheetah or Star Gazer to flip. Already done it with a Bally Viking for someone else....

If you want to make $10-20 an hour, that’s a good plan. Could be enjoyable too of course.

#384 38 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Also, if you don't care about more choreography then damn are your expectations low for code, animation, and sound all being put together to create unique layered modes.

Love pinball choreography, but I prefer Stern’s “Singin’ In the Rain” type numbers to JJP’s Busby Berkeley stuff:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busby_Berkeley

#409 38 days ago

CrazyLevi your guitar pics made me happy. I taught guitar and flipped burgers when I was 16, and I used my first-ever tax return to buy a Gibson copy by a Japanese company called Shiro. This would have been ~1980. If my house was burning down, that guitar is the first thing I’d grab.

Funny too, I remember my audiophile coworkers in 1984 talking shit about “Jap Crap”. Guess what sells for $$$ on eBay now?

#598 37 days ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

I actually tend to like well-made Stern better than a well-made JJP (each has their gems and turds, but let's say a gem vs. a gem for precisely fair comparison) just based off of design, flow, artwork, and the flipper mechs, but there's no denying that a JJP bill-of-materials is above what Stern puts into their games. I believe that is what PanzerFreak is trying to say as well in his statement.

You can’t play the BOM. Stern’s pins are just more fun to play IMO. Who gives a shit how the lockbar and head are secured? And I used to think wooden heads were better than metal, but now I don’t care. It sounds like you guys are upset that Stern is better at being profitable than JJP.

#622 37 days ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's an opinion, not a fact. I have Sterns that I enjoy playing more then some JJP's and JJP's I enjoy playing more then Sterns. Happy to have both in my collection. Just tired of the "All JJP's suck", "None of them are fun" type comments.

The “IMO” in my post stands for “In My Opinion”. Welcome to the internet, are you new here?

#631 37 days ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

You go from a classic like MM or AFM then a JJP then try to play a Stern they are just so light compared to the others, I was thinking maybe some sand bags in them would make them feel more beefy.

I recently fried a transformer in my MET when I f’ed up installing an LED tube. I guess I should have kept it and bolted it into my LZ for the “heavier is better” crew.

#666 37 days ago

The LCD graphics on Aerosmith are great. Terrific artwork, and they fit the game perfectly. While I can appreciate that Jurassic Park has more detailed graphics, that didn’t stop me from selling it. And the movie clip approach used on games like Guardians is my least favorite. Led Zeppelin to me is the best compromise - short band clips blended with well-done graphics.

I also came back to concede a point to the JJP fans: JJP does a much better job with licensing content. You guys get multiple complete albums, while we’re stuck with the 10 songs that were picked for us. LZ would be a much better pin if I could pick any song from Led Zeppelin I-IV.

#706 36 days ago

As long as craft beer stays around $10 for a 6-pack, me and capitalism will stay on good terms.

Also WTF is up with all the new breweries? I just bought my month’s allotment of beer and there were like 10 new local breweries vying for my beer money. Competition is good I guess.

#713 36 days ago
    Quoted from ChadKeller:

As long as the government keeps giving out free money

I’m telling you man, there are a lot of pissed off defense contractors and banks right now. “That was OUR money!”

In all seriousness, we’re lucky to have people loaning us money for next to nothing while we (the US) stack up debt we’ll never ever pay off.

#737 36 days ago

Hate to say it, but we’re just going to have to accept taking a bigger hit when selling a new game. I’ve been spoiled by the rising market, and I sold my last 2 Sterns for what I had in them (I could have taken a small profit, but sold to friends instead for a quick and easy sale).

What sucks is that as soon as I start “losing” money on games, my wife will stop supporting me buying them. I put “losing” in quotes because I feel like spending $200-500 for the privilege of owning a new game for a year or two is still a pretty good deal.

#770 35 days ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

So what were the real turds? 24, CSI, IJ? Do we include Rolling Stones, Avatar, and Monopoly. I actually kinda like those last three.

I kinda love CSI and RS, but I sold CSI because the rules were abandoned (no wizard mode). Avatar is a rule-breaker of a game, with just 1 ramp. I liked owning that one too but it’s gone. I’d jump on a Rolling Stones for the right price. There’s no modern Stern (2010+) that isn’t worth having for a year.

#898 32 days ago

F you this thread and my crippling inability to drain it.

(I mean, I know how, I just don’t want to miss anything)

#900 32 days ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I can only speak for myself - but I said "I'm not buying" around 2016...but then I played Elwin games, and now that I'm hooked, what am I gonna do - not buy Elwin games? I'm back in, baby! Prices be damned. Also speaking for myself, I can sell my current games for more than I paid for them...so it's all relative, the new purchases aren't as painful.

Same here. I thought I was done with NIB after Metallica, because I thought LED insert lighting was a bridge too far, haha. Since then I’ve added GOTLE, AS, JP (sold), GOTG (sold), STH, TWD and LZ Premium. Not all at NIB prices, but close. I haven’t lost any money yet.

#926 31 days ago
    Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

What did folks see that would make them think new pinball machines wouldn’t rise significantly in price?

Historically we’ve seen $100-200 increases, and we accepted them. I think the $800 increases were just a shock to the system. A BIG shock, in the example of the OP getting hit up for another $2400 after he’d already ordered the games.

2 weeks later
    #1125 16 days ago

I’m going to bring a printout of this thread when I ask for my next raise.

#1129 16 days ago
    Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Inflation is here to stay and if the Dems get their way and spend another 4 trillion. Get ready for super hyper mega inflation.

Please tell me the secret to making political posts like this without getting moderated.

[EDIT: never mind, and thank you mods for all you do].

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider swampfire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside