Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,382 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111giphy.gif
    2244DAC6-65A3-4A3F-89AF-536F3DB8DD85 (resized).jpeg
    C7946D6D-4975-4F5F-B293-2F28A22E9E68 (resized).jpeg
    50AE510F-1999-433B-9532-941F09A8AD3B (resized).jpeg
    chloe (resized).png
    5968D338-B470-4DBE-877D-A3942AC2CB43 (resized).jpeg
    Market (resized).JPG
    smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ribs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1091 2 years ago

Seeing how some people talk/fearmonger about inflation is a reminder to me of how old this hobby skews, and the price increases aren't going to help in that regard. That will probably be the only advantage I have when it comes to ownership and collecting in this hobby.

#1123 2 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

Those exact words have been said for 20 years now Levi. And you have been on the site long enough to have seen it....and the bubble has not even begun to show any thin spots.
    There are new pinheads making good money joining this hobby and they simply pay the going rate for a pin if they want it. And many of them actually think EBay prices are the best deal so they simply hit the buy it now button. Even during the 2008 crash everyone said "a house is necessary and a pinball is not" thinking pin prices would crash, and they did not.
    Theres a lot of people out there with a lot of money and they don't think twice about throwing $15,000 at something cool that their friends don't have. I guess its just human nature.

I think there is a separate collectable bubble that has been occurring during covid. It's not unique to pinball. It's the same story across a lot of hobbies right now. I have a hard time believing that trading card collectors right now are saying that prices can only go up from here. The longtime video game collectors I know are seeing these prices and unloading their passions, knowingly aware of this unique situation. I was watching the Antiques Roadshow earlier this week, and they were talking about the collectible sand art bottle market during covid in the exact same way. Worth a lot before, market exploded during covid, crazy auction prices pushing things further, yes people are paying, but nobody is really expecting it to last at this rate.

#1133 2 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Where are all these people coming up with the money? All I see is are help wanted signs from here to Chistmas. Seems like nobody's working. I thought prices on luxury items (pinball etc...) would tumble when then the pandemic hit. I've been wrong then and ever since.

People who have full time office jobs with retirement accounts have been doing very well during COVID. They drive less, spend less on food, and have been going on less vacations all while their investments soared. Look at the S&P 500 since March 20th, 2020. Unfortunately most Americans cannot even afford a $500 windfall let alone have a 401k, and they have been put even further behind by having to carry most of the COVID burden.

Don't listen to posters like Zablon who make jokes about poor people buying iphones. They are clueless.

#1138 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Wanna bet? Dude I know, barely works, got himself a shiny new iphone. Mooches beers off people(not me) at the local watering hole.

Yes, I would like to bet against somebody who uses their own personal anecdotal experience to generalize a massive demographic of people. I also have some bridges I'd like to sell you.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ribs.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-you-stern-and-your-price-increases?tu=ribs and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.