Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,382 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111giphy.gif
    2244DAC6-65A3-4A3F-89AF-536F3DB8DD85 (resized).jpeg
    C7946D6D-4975-4F5F-B293-2F28A22E9E68 (resized).jpeg
    50AE510F-1999-433B-9532-941F09A8AD3B (resized).jpeg
    chloe (resized).png
    5968D338-B470-4DBE-877D-A3942AC2CB43 (resized).jpeg
    Market (resized).JPG
    smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#419 2 years ago

As prices keep going up, operators are going to be asking themselves “How do I make any money on this again ?” Some crappy redemption games for sure can go in the $10K range, but I’ll let Dave and Busters play in that realm. Most arcade games for anything retro are well below $5K, usually below $1K. Same for used redemption games (if not turned into firewood). And the demand is higher for arcade than pins for your generic arcade going customer. A lot of arcades you will see maybe 2 pins. As these prices go up it may well turn into no pins. I mean this is all fine and good, Stern is clearly leaning more into the heavy monied home market, and that’s their call. But I still gotta ask, how long does that last for ? If you can’t cater to garnering a new era of pin playing kids due to lack of public availability of these newer machines you are long term shooting yourself in the foot. The nostalgia in 10 years will end up being for *cough* Cyclone and not the good kinda Cyclone. It’s all good short term, but a terrible long term approach.

F49ABE1D-815A-4EC0-A56F-0B5382582232 (resized).pngF49ABE1D-815A-4EC0-A56F-0B5382582232 (resized).png
    #479 2 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Just to note: Stern sees itself as a manufacturer. Gary Stern says that all of the time. Right now, they are manufacturing pins and doing a helluva good job. As a business, they have to take advantage of the current market, and they are. Who is to say that they realize that pins are, in fact, a short term proposition? Williams pivoted, why not Stern?
    No one is happy about these prices. But Stern's sales are sizling and they have a backlog of orders. Demand is greater than availability... prices go up... and current conditions have found people holding a lot of cash.
    Stern would be complete idiots to ignore the fire and under charge right now. As much as I wish Godzilla Premium could be found for $6100 with a shaker and mirror blades thrown in, the market has spoken. People are willing to pay $9K. Frankly, I won't be shocked if we see premium prices approach $9.6K or higher this time next year.

All businesses are encouraged to put a dollar today ahead of a possible future dollar tomorrow, next week, or next year. Don’t blame them at all. It’s a sound business choice bringing supply demand curve back into balance. They are for sure leaving money on the table if they don’t do this. The only issue is Blockbuster did that too. As a business in it for the long haul (and Gary definitely meets that criteria) he has to be looking at what his next act here is for Stern. If it is something other than pinball, more power to him, fill the coffers and figure out how to spend it on what is next. If it supposed to be pinball, where are the customers in 10 years coming from ? I just don’t see as many with this strategy.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pookycade.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-you-stern-and-your-price-increases?tu=pookycade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.