Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,382 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111giphy.gif
    2244DAC6-65A3-4A3F-89AF-536F3DB8DD85 (resized).jpeg
    C7946D6D-4975-4F5F-B293-2F28A22E9E68 (resized).jpeg
    50AE510F-1999-433B-9532-941F09A8AD3B (resized).jpeg
    chloe (resized).png
    5968D338-B470-4DBE-877D-A3942AC2CB43 (resized).jpeg
    Market (resized).JPG
    smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#323 2 years ago
    Quoted from Spyderturbo007:

During the web session yesterday Gary was asked about if Connected would become a monthly subscription service. I have to say, I absolutely loved his answer. It was something along the lines of "Well, not right away, but we won't worry about that until we get everyone connected".

Yep. Steps written on a whiteboard somewhere at Stern:

1) Make people pay for the hardware to connect to our platform. Let's add $200.00 to the BOM whether people want it or not and put it on all future machines. ($. Gets the system in their home, even make a small profit).

2) Require a free Insider account so people can connect and download updates and get fun things like achievements. (No $ yet, but slowly getting them accustomed to the system. See, not scary pinheads! Fun! And what the heck, you already bought the machine for our new high prices, and it comes with the Connect system! It's like we gave it to you for free!!!).

3) Release new gameplay modes locked behind our "full access" paywall. Modest yearly or monthly fee ($$. Beginning of the subscription revenue, looks great on a balance sheet, pull people in a little more, its not that much right?).

4) Slowly jack up the price on the fee to the point where people are paying more than they do for Netflix so they can have "Super Secret Godzilla Stomps A New City" mode. ($$$$$$$. If people bail at this point they lose access to modes they already like! Sucks to be them!)

Great for Stern, maybe okay for operators, blows for home buyers. Whaddya going to do though, the writing is on the wall and has been since they introduced topper DLC.

#495 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

When you are ready to sell you home for what you paid for it please let me know.

The two things are nothing alike. One is selling at market value a product you own, the other is scalping. Rare says it better here:

Quoted from Rarehero:

I think there’s a difference between “yanking something off the shelf” so a legitimately interested customer can’t buy it, vs. buying old games, fixing them up, selling them for more later….or buying a game, enjoying it, then selling it for more when it’s out of production & demand is high. Sure, the end result is making money - but the intent & process are nothing alike.

If you don't get there is a difference here, then you are not very bright, or being disingenuous so you can feel good about being a scalper.

#541 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

I'll be honest, I haven't read through this whole thread, just the title and first few posts.

I guess I don't really understand it though. If you don't like the price of the games, why not just stop buying them and move on with your life? Is it really necessary to say fuck you to them on a public forum? Seems really odd.

I don't like the price of Ferrari's, but I don't say fuck you to the company in front of thousands of people. I just don't buy them...

Am I missing something?

Yeah, I can't believe it. Discussing significant price increases for pinball machines on a pinball forum. What is the world coming to? Now discussing the price of Ferarris and Rolexes in a pinball forum is a bit weird I grant you.

#554 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sometimes it really seems like all anybody wants to talk about. No other hobby I’ve ever dipped my toe into is this obsessed with money/value/bubbles.

Yeah, it seems worse than usual. But the last year has also seen a big increase in used market and NIB. Once things settle down so will the pricing talk I am sure.

#748 2 years ago
    Quoted from wisefwumyogwave:

Man. There sure seems tobe a bunch of smart business people in here capable of opening pinball companies. Please do so and flood the market so prices fall. That be great.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Nobody knows how to run Stern better than pinside.

I think it is a great business decision by Stern. They are killing it. I would offer applause, but I am not a Stern shareholder, just a guy who likes buying NIB pinball machines and the price increase, from a consumer standpoint, blows.

3 weeks later
    #1183 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bendit:

It's not. It's funded by insanely high taxes.

Commonly held misconception on both sides of the border. On average Canadians probably pay slightly more in taxes than the US (depends on income level, deductions, etc.), but I would hardly call it insane. The Canadian government just spends the money differently, mainly the Canadian defense budget is a joke and we pump a lot of money into healthcare.

https://www.investopedia.com/financial-edge/0411/do-canadians-really-pay-more-taxes-than-americans.aspx

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/07/canadians-may-pay-more-taxes-than-americans-but-theres-a-catch.html

#1192 2 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

True, but it certainly goes a long way to explain why games cost more in Canada. Canadians always seem to manage to forget all they get for their taxes when they make mention of the high cost of games in their country.

Sigh. No, it doesn’t. Games don’t cost so much more in Canada because of taxes. Again, the tax situation in Canada vs US is not all that different.

Yes, we do have a federal sales tax, and some provinces have an additional sales tax. Here in Alberta we only pay the federal sales tax, which is 5%. Some provinces pay as high as 13%. Most of the states in the US have sales tax too, although it is lower by a few points.

The cost difference is primarily the exchange rate which has to do with the differences in our economies, political factors, etc.

From 2011 to 2012 I was paying the same or even less than Americans were for my pins. Because the exchange rate was much more favourable.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider paul_8788.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-you-stern-and-your-price-increases?tu=paul_8788 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.