Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,382 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111giphy.gif
    2244DAC6-65A3-4A3F-89AF-536F3DB8DD85 (resized).jpeg
    C7946D6D-4975-4F5F-B293-2F28A22E9E68 (resized).jpeg
    50AE510F-1999-433B-9532-941F09A8AD3B (resized).jpeg
    chloe (resized).png
    5968D338-B470-4DBE-877D-A3942AC2CB43 (resized).jpeg
    Market (resized).JPG
    smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#87 2 years ago

I'm with ya. It's no longer a question about fun, all modern Stern's are fun, but rather value for customers hard earned money. With each price increase the value of a game is diminished in my opinion. This recent Stern price increase is the largest in years and will lead to more people being priced out of the market and or simply refusing to pay the new prices. Could I afford a $9k premium? Yes. Do I want to spend $9k on a premium? Hell no, it's not worth it no matter how fun the game is. Same goes for pro's and LE's.

#91 2 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

Look at Les Zeppelin LE and then Godzilla LE and tell me there’s not $1300 more value there.

Neither are worth $9200 or $10,500 to begin with, that's the problem. Also, Stern for most part prices all of their games the same regardless of the amount of features, and code. It's also important for us to keep in my mind that some licenses, especially music licenses where multiple tracks are involved, can cost more then others. I wouldn't be surprised if the LZ license + tracks is more then a bunch of classic Godzilla films.

#104 2 years ago
    Quoted from brickbuilder14:

The price of EVERYTHING that is scarce, hard to duplicate, and involves labor or materials has gone up significantly due to inflation. In 2019 an LE was $9,000. Now it’s $10,500. That is a small 15% increase.
    Now let me ask you all a question. How much has your home increased in value since 2019? 20%??? 30%???
    How about your stock portfolio? How much has it increased since 2019? 50%?? 75%??
    Pinball pricing is currently below other assets.
    The US dollar is no longer worth what it was just two short years ago. Everyone reading this has seen their house and stocks and any other assets they own increase in value due to inflation.
    Inflation will be the biggest problem in the US over the coming years. This is simply par for the course right now.

$1500 is a small price increase for a pinball machine? LOL. Why not charge $12k, hell maybe $15k for an LE. Let's get extra crazy at this point.

Quoted from jeffro01:

Component prices are up, what do you expect them to do? Combine that with a ultra hot market, they'd be fools not to. I don't see what the fuss here is.
    Jeff

Components are up that much to justify a $1k - $1,500 price increase? I don't see it.

#180 2 years ago

Customers are going to become more selective due to the price increases. Instead of buying multiple games per year maybe it's 1 every few years and only when it's a dream theme. Godzilla Premium and LE look loaded and at $7500 I would consider one. At $9k though for a premium? Hell no, not even if the street price is $8700, that's just insane from what were already insane prices to begin with for a pinball machine of all things. I just paid $9,500 for a NIB GNR LE, paying $500 less for a Stern premium is crazy.

Pinsiders have been saying for years "Well, if you can afford a $7k pin then you can afford an $8k pin for years" type comments. When does that stop working? For many of us it's here. It's not a question of if a game is fun or not but what you are getting for your money and the value simply isn't there at these outrageous prices in my opinion.

Also, people keep saying "Everything is up, goods are up 15%" as a way to justify the price increases. Well for many middle class families wages are not up. If a family made $100k a year in 2019 they are likely only making a bit more in 2021. Where's the 15% increase in wages for the middle class if everything else went up by the same amount? There isn't one. That family that may have once bought a NIB pin every so often is now paying 15% more for everything else and as a result a $7k - $10.5k pinball machine may now be one of the last things on their minds to buy.

#200 2 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

You conveniently forget that shortly after release JJP raised the prices of a NIB GNR LE to 10,500.
    [quoted image]

Yes, and I wouldn't have bought a NIB GNR LE at $10,500 either. I started buying NIB pins when they were around $6k for a premium and the old "Well, you can afford $1k more" mindset has long worn off. Yes I could afford it but I'm not paying these insane prices for a pinball machine of all things. At some point enough is enough when it comes to price increases.

#212 2 years ago
    Quoted from Pickle:

I am not sure I understand what your comparison Panzer….a JJP LE is the equivalent of a Stern Premium…..So a JJP LE which would be a Stern premium still costs more. I get that a JJP game may have more features but regardless it’s a tiered model structure from both manufacturers and Stern has closed the price gap between them.
    Let’s see if JJP raises prices again….if the market bears it then it’s just a matter of time.
    Either way I think most of us can simply agree the price of games is just getting too high…at least to buy/collect as it was years ago.

A JJP LE is not a Stern premium, no way, not even close. Compare a JJP LE to a Stern LE, that's the more fair comparison and now it's more accurate the ever considering the prices of each are nearly identical. Either way prices are insane from both companies.

JJP Standard - Stern Premium
    JJP LE - Stern LE
    JJP CE - Stern SLE (super limited and signature editions)

#309 2 years ago
    Quoted from nicoy3k:

Explain to me how wonka le or gnr le gave more features than Godzilla premium

The real comparison there is Wonka LE and GNR LE versus Godzilla LE, those are the comparable models due to the extra LE features from both companies.

Godzilla LE and GNR LE are now about the same price. I would say Stern with Godzilla LE has matched GNR LE in terms of features on the playfield. However, will Godzilla have the same animation, lighting, more choreography, and sound quality as JJP games? No, not in my opinion. The bigger question is will Stern now offer Godzilla premium / LE like amount of features in all games moving forward? At these insane prices I hope so but maybe not, look at Ghostbusters premium / LE and some of the more empty games that followed despite being the same price.

Why do all Stern's cost the same when some clearly have more features then others? If Godzilla Premium is $9k then LZ Premium should remain at $7700 due to one game clearly having more in it then the other. There's no reason for all Stern's to be priced the same when some are far more loaded then others.

#382 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Jesus r u ever hung up on BOM and everything else besides the most important thing. How it plays and its fun factor. I think some pinball collectors, perhaps the ones who aren't very good players need the flash otherwise there's nothing else to justify the price, maybe? I haven't played Godzilla yet and already know it will be a better shooter than GnR, who gives a fuck about "choreography"

Who cares about how it plays when the games cost these ridiculous prices? Why don't you go pay $100 for a pizza just because it tastes good or $100k for a Mustang GT just because it's fun to drive?

Fun factor isn't what people are complaining about here, it's the insane prices and I'm sorry but a lot of us here care about value for our hard earned money.

Also, if you don't care about more choreography then damn are your expectations low for code, animation, and sound all being put together to create unique layered modes.

#400 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I don't feel Stern is lacking in code, animation , sound, u know the "Choreography" department. I know when I'm looking at new or older pins to buy what I always ask myself "What about the choreography"

Yeah but ur the one who will always bring up its too expensive because of "Value" the material aspect of it. The fun is my first way of gauging value when it comes to a game.

If that pizza tastes good enough to me to spend $100 on then I will but u would need it to see that it has $100 worth of toppings where I don't give shit how they got it to taste that good, I just enjoy it. If a Mustang GT cost that much and I wanted one then fine. I mean it doesn't cost that much so its really a foolish argument like I would go into a Ford dealership and insist that I want to pay double. How is it that ur so aware of what it costs to manufacturer these games, make as much profit as is possible and continue to grow as a company. Just admit that u can't stand that Stern dominates this hobby while ur precious JJP with all its flash and over done crap sits at a very distant second. Oh yeah.

Blah blah blah. I just bought a NIB TMNT literally 3 months ago so stop with your crap that I can't stand Stern. I've repeatedly said that all modern Sterns are fun and that the issue being debated here isn't fun but rather value for some. I enjoy both Stern and JJP games in my collection but it is you who has a clear hate against one company.

CHUuujSW8AAVZTg (resized).jpgCHUuujSW8AAVZTg (resized).jpg

#452 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

Thats always been a problem for me. I like Rickenbacker basses and SG's starting collecting Synths recently and every time I buy a pin I have a moment where I think well there's a classic Moog or a custom 3 pick up SG or a new bass or recording equipment, basically the best problems u can have.

Never said u can't stand Stern. I said u can't stand that they dominate the industry. Its crystal clear from reading ur posts but nice try. I don't hate JJP, I do think their theme choices suck and so far I haven't been impressed with the gameplay, with the exception of DI which I would have bought if it didn't look like they made it for pre teen girls.
    [quoted image]

I could care less about Stern dominating the industry and if by that you mean selling the most games. Selling the most pinball machines doesn't automatically mean Stern is the best. I suppose Little Cesar's and Dominoes make the best pizzas as they sell the most right? It doesn't work that way.

I've noticed you making jabs at certain collectors (one being me) saying that they are not good at pinball and only care about flash. That couldn't be further from the truth. There are a lot of collectors out there that don't care about tournaments, they don't care that you scored 10 billion points on a game and yet at the same time they are good players. These collectors buy games for their home because they have fun with them. I personally want games that are loaded considering today's asking price and come with modes featuring great mode choreography. There's no reason to insult people for wanting that in a game. Really what you are doing is are unfairly singling out people who own and enjoy JJP pins.

#521 2 years ago

I couldn't care less lol.

#551 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

I'll be honest, I haven't read through this whole thread, just the title and first few posts.
    I guess I don't really understand it though. If you don't like the price of the games, why not just stop buying them and move on with your life? Is it really necessary to say fuck you to them on a public forum? Seems really odd.
    I don't like the price of Ferrari's, but I don't say fuck you to the company in front of thousands of people. I just don't buy them...
    Am I missing something?

Yeah, pinball machines don't cost $250k - $500k+...but maybe soon at this rate!

#575 2 years ago

Stern is taking people for a ride at these new insane prices. Regardless of whether or not people think Stern is better then JJP or vice versa it's clear which company has the greater cost per game and it's JJP. A Stern LE and JJP LE are now basically the same price. The JJP LE comes with significantly more hardware in it from the old Bally / Williams style lock down bar mech, the traditional head lock, and especially far more hardware in the head of the cabinet compared to a Stern. Open the backbox of a Stern and you will see a couple small boards, open a JJP backbox and you will 5x the amount of hardware. There's other items as well including the metal leg protectors, the entire head being made out of wood, boards being full RGB, etc. I won't even touch the coding aspect which I think is higher at JJP compared to Stern.

Again none of what I said means one companies games are better or more fun then the other but it's clear which company is making more profit per game at these latest prices. Did Stern raise prices because material cost are up? Sure, a bit but the real reason for such a large price increase is that they believe there's enough people to continue buying games at the higher price point.

Perhaps JJP will now raise prices from $10,500 to $11,500 after seeing what Stern did, then Stern will do the same in a year. The price increase madness will likely continue.

#594 2 years ago

Gary's reaction seeing people defend the price increases.

2539433-2642583531-24674.gif2539433-2642583531-24674.gif

#602 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

You can’t play the BOM. Stern’s pins are just more fun to play IMO. Who gives a shit how the lockbar and head are secured? And I used to think wooden heads were better than metal, but now I don’t care. It sounds like you guys are upset that Stern is better at being profitable than JJP.

That's an opinion, not a fact. I have Sterns that I enjoy playing more then some JJP's and JJP's I enjoy playing more then Sterns. Happy to have both in my collection. Just tired of the "All JJP's suck", "None of them are fun" type comments.

#621 2 years ago
    Quoted from djsolzs:

After looking at your collection - Im curious which Stern you enjoy playing over the JJPs you have?

Depends on the day for me. Some days I like TMNT and GB over any of my JJP pins and then the opposite another day lol, just enjoy them all. Stern is making some damn fun games, as is JJP, it's just a shame the prices have become so ridiculously high.

Quoted from John_I:

So you honestly think that the cost of building a machine hasn't gone up in equal percentage to the price increase(s) that has been passed along? Seriously? Look around you. This is not some conspiracy theory. This is a once in a lifetime worldwide disaster we have been in for 18+ months now. Certain sectors have been affected more than others. Manufacturing (especially in the US) is had been really hit hard. Costs are way up and parts availability is way down. Personally, I would bet Stern's profit margin per machine is less now than it was two years ago. Not to mention if the number of machines being shipped is way down because of shutdowns and parts shortages, overall profits will be way down too.

Fair points, those are likely contributors as well. Stern is also implementing the new Insider Connect system which adds an additional cost in hardware, development, and support.

I'll probably buy another new Stern but its going to be very selective from this point going forward. Hoping BTTF is next as will definitely order one of those.

#634 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

U just can't stop proving my point and reciting the same drivel. Thanks for that. I hope u now know why its easy to single u out and destroy ur ridiculous comments. I also hope u don't stop making them cause I love it. JJP fanboys complete me. U can't stand it can ya. With all of JJP pretentious pinball crap they keep for the most part missing out on the most important factor.

Keep being angry and only favoring one pinball company, I'll be enjoying my Stern and JJP pins in the meantime

#790 2 years ago

After reading some of these comments I'm waiting for the "Thank you Stern for raising prices" thread.

#809 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Well to be fair, it wouldn't be 17 pages if people wouldn't feel compelled to play point-counterpoint on every.single.post. and repeat what they've already said a dozen times already.

I'm going to have to disagree with your statement and offer a counterpoint.

Lol just joking.

#845 2 years ago

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG

#858 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

For reference:
    June 29th, 2021 prices in Las Vegas[quoted image][quoted image]

Today's price in metro Detroit.

1_wood (resized).JPG1_wood (resized).JPG

#874 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

THIS. The value is not there for me anymore. I am all location play moving forward for a while.

Spot on. These new pins by Stern and JJP are all fun but they are just not worth the latest prices for many of us. Over the years I've said "Look at how much more value you get with a JJP pin" but I can't even say that now with their new crazy town prices. $10,500 for a limited edition pinball machine from both Stern and JJP? Pass. $7k for a pro and $9k for a premium from Stern? Pass. I just can't wrap my head around paying these new ridiculous prices for a pinball machine of all things.

#904 2 years ago

5nth62 (resized).jpg5nth62 (resized).jpg

#1021 2 years ago

When you now hear the prices of new Stern pinball machines (apply to JJP as well).

200.gif200.gif

#1029 2 years ago

JJP just raised GNR LE prices to $11k! Insane but I'm sure they believe their products are worth more then a Stern LE at $10,500. These recent prices increases are insane but hey if you bought at the lower price points you just made thousands! lol.

#1031 2 years ago

Yup, reported by Kaneda.

#1033 2 years ago
    Quoted from NashtyFunk:

I’d much rather have a Stern Godzilla LE for $11k than a GnR for $11k.
    Sure that’s personal preference, but I’m not sure Toy Story LEs are going to be flying at $11k, especially with a 1 year wait to get them.

These new prices are nuts. I wouldn't want either at the price, both are insane at $10,500 and $11k lol. I feel like I got a deal a couple months back with a NIB July build GNR LE for $9,500 which at the time seemed like an insane amount of money to spend on a pin.

#1044 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Maybe they needed the extra money to fix PF's and support customers with bad ones

Lol yeah. Thankfully pretty much all GNR playfield issues stopped with the late June and going forward builds, something is working. It's still BS that the issue happened in the first place after Wonka and Pirates had the issue. Free playfields should have been sent out to GNR customers with messed up playfields.

#1052 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

I thinks what's working is that they covered up the issues with washers
    time will tell if it spreads past the washers

You act as if you are hoping for all JJP owners to have playfield issues, that's sad. We get it, you don't like JJP.

1 week later
    #1121 2 years ago

We should all be thankful to pay Stern these new prices. Back when Batman 66 SLE's were announced anyone interested had to send in a video stating why they were worthy enough to give Stern $15k to purchase an SLE. Well that has all changed, now anyone can give Stern nearly $9k for a premium and over $10k for an LE, that's about a $5k discount compared to Batman SLE and no video application required!

#1174 2 years ago
    Quoted from digitaldocc:

It's looking like my orders are being delayed long enough for the price increase. Bad optics stern. Bad.

If you can find a NIB Stern Turtles premium or Avengers premium would they still be $7500 - $7700 at this time but then be around $9k starting in January?

#1184 2 years ago
    Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

Yes, that is my understanding, are you looking for a TMNT premium? Cointaker has one in stock
    https://cointaker.com/products/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-premium-pinball-by-stern

Thanks! I bought a TMNT Premium a few months back, was just curious how the new pricing structure effects existing games. It's going to be one huge price jump next year for current titles.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider panzerfreak.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-you-stern-and-your-price-increases?tu=panzerfreak and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.