Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,382 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111giphy.gif
    2244DAC6-65A3-4A3F-89AF-536F3DB8DD85 (resized).jpeg
    C7946D6D-4975-4F5F-B293-2F28A22E9E68 (resized).jpeg
    50AE510F-1999-433B-9532-941F09A8AD3B (resized).jpeg
    chloe (resized).png
    5968D338-B470-4DBE-877D-A3942AC2CB43 (resized).jpeg
    Market (resized).JPG
    smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gameseum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#82 2 years ago

Soon enough they'll be on par with JJP pricing.

At present JJP has what I would consider "collector pricing" and a lot of operators won't shoot that high for commercial locations, especially being able to get a Stern for much less (with 90% of laymen not giving a damn which brand it is or even knowing what is what), but as the gap thins it'll be interesting to see if more operators go towards Jersey Jack games.

There are a lot of Stern games lately that made me scratch my head whether I'd rather get that, or pay extra for a JJP... and that's WITH the 2020 price difference. With the "pay extra" bargaining chip slowly being removed on top of that, I forsee a lot of operators going for the JJPs no question if they get much closer in price. (Albeit the difficulties of them seeming to hold up on location)

Gary Stern has been all about the locations (to the point of some collector feeling insulted once... I remember reading a story about a crazy Stern collector who met Gary, all starry-eyed, excitedly told him how he spent like $50k on Stern games for his basement, and Gary shot back all deadpan with "But you're supporting the locations right?" He was pretty upset. Haha, poor guy.), but I hope he's being smart about not pricing out commercial locations especially with JJP being a thing.

For me the price difference is a pain in the ass but I'll still likely buy, I mean not like there's another option. If I were a home collector I would probably think the opposite, but alas. (And if the home collectors stopped licking so many boots, it wouldn't be where it's at... blood isn't on the operators hands. The number is kind of arbitrary when you make it all back) Pinball as a whole is all kind of nuts now. When looking to buy a AAA game to get the customers really riled up, it's either pay $9k for a 29 year old Addams Family or $7k for a brand new Stern... the brand new Stern still makes the most sense from both an excitement perspective and a reliability perspective, in a commercial setting. It's flashy, you don't have to be a pinhead to know its worth, and it's plug and play, so there's all of that. At least I feel somewhat sane paying that much for a brand new piece of hardware. I feel like some people are so absorbed in this they don't feel the irony of paying $9k for a 29 year old game.

#85 2 years ago

As long as people keeping buy the price is going to go up and up. And that's that.

At the end of the day, people are buying.

#89 2 years ago

I just wish they were more consistent. Led Zeppelin pro should have never left the factory, what an empty piece of junk. Anybody who bought that for $6000 should feel scammed.

Meanwhile you got great games like Jurassic Park and Avengers, clearly with tons of more parts and clearly with a much higher build cost, at the same price point. And don't even get me started on Beatles!

Stern is so hit and miss with not only the quality of their games but with how many parts on the playfield... surely the BOM (Bill Of Materials) is much different... yet... The Price Remains The Same!

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

You ain’t shitting .My above ground pool liner tore and the few that had them wanted 1100 for a previous 250 liner .I patched it with a patch on the patch .Do what you need to do shit is fing weird right now .With pinball the smart thing to do would be sell every pin you have and wait it out but would any of us really do this ?

That's an interesting take as "getting out while it's good" doesn't even cross my mind anymore because the pinball market is so secure. I kind of even forget about such a thing. Then again, I'm at no risk for it... I paid reasonably for everything and have a lot to gain and little to lose. I think we as collectors are all looking forward to the bubble bursting, rather than fearing it, but I've never thought of it that way and I'm sure there's lots who think about that sort of thing and do worry about it bursting because of what they paid for what they are sitting on. I don't really care if it does, but I bet the guys who paid full 2015-2021 price for a TZ or Addams do. Maybe it's because I don't really consider pinball an investment.

I see it a different way:

While you're selling to ensure you get good prices before the market crashes, I'm holding onto everything I got because I forsee this going on for a long time. Now, that sounds like it's an investment perspective, and it sure could be, BUT for me it's just from a supply perspective.

I'm not holding on to cash the damn things out at some peak and try and squeeze every last dollar out of them, I'm just holding on to keep them.

My concern lies more with "If I want to buy this title again in 2 years, will it be twice the price?", rather than cashing out while it's hot. I'm more worried about availability and sanity of prices than the cash. I don't sell anything because of how absurd it'll probably be to get another one back again next year or even next month, if I feel so inclined.

Meanwhile I'm sure there's guys that are selling while the market is hot, and those places their bets oppositely and holding onto games hoping it'll skyrocket more... some see an end and some see a beginning.

Me, I'm just trying to operate the damn things... I don't care what they're worth besides what I paid for them (waaaaaaaaay out of the ballpark of that now over the years) and I don't think I've ever sat around and counted the dollar value of my collection (albeit it's one hell of a safety net having $100k+ of pinball and arcade games sitting around, with great insurance to boot to sleep good at night on). Anything I buy I intend to keep and make a living off of. I don't consider them an investment like that. Many see them as dollar signs (in both positive and negative ways - investments and liabilities), and I imagine that's quite hectic.

The "burst" is so far off IMO that I don't think most even worry about the market crashing, they're more worried about it NOT crashing. Kind of funny and opposite from everything else in the world.

I'm glad I'm not a pinball "investor" collector... I couldn't imagine the stress of sitting on games and wondering if you should keep or sell. Nowadays it's a gamble of selling too early and the game triples in price in the next year, vs. selling too late and the bubble burst. What a conundrum!

I say just buy a DMD game for $2500, expect to get $2500 out of it and anything extra is a bonus, and call it a day. Too many people worried about getting $9000 for a game they paid $1500 for and acting like it's the end of the world if they don't get it... hey, you only paid $1500 for the thing... that's all you're in the red for... I say as long as you got what you paid for it, why complain? (It's greed)

Thanks for the nice discussion and your point is a very interesting one.

#103 2 years ago

There's three guys in a room:

Guy A bought a Twilight Zone for $1,000 and expects $1,000 out of it.

Guy B bought a Twilight Zone for $1,000 and expects $8,000 out of it.

Guy C bought a Twilight Zone for $8,000 and expects $8,000 out of it.

Guy A wins (and sleeps the best at night) whether the market continues to skyrocket, or crashes. I'd say Guy C is the only one at risk, and Guy B is just being a greedy bitch that can't really suffer a loss or a risk rather than one that is perceived, rather than an actual loss considering he only paid a grand for the thing.

If this hobby focused more on "getting what I paid for it" rather than "value" we'd have a lovely pool of games and a stagnant pricing for everything, but alas that's not the way the world turns.

This is more focused on the used games but all in all it all affects new game pricing as well

#107 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

You forot guy D who repairs/restores a,b, and C's pins

Guy D wasn't in the room because Guy B said he was firm on his $30 offer to repin the entire set of boards because the game "is old" meanwhile has it listed for $9k

#113 2 years ago
    Quoted from brickbuilder14:

If you owned a business and you sold out of ALL your product in 3 minutes wouldn’t you increase the price? Stern should absolutely price their LE at $12,000. Because the evidence has shown that $10,500 is too low given the demand.
    I’m shocked that it is only 16% higher than their prices were pre March 2020. Have you checked your grocery bill? Or tried to buy new furniture? Or put in a new pool, or buy a used car? A 16% increase is much lower than I was expecting. One year from now LEs will be $11,500 and still be sold out

Tons of distributors still sitting on Beatles stock, first run LZ stock, TMNT stock, etc.

There's a lot of stuff that sells in minutes and a lot of stuff that doesn't sell... ever.

I'm surprised they feel consistent enough to warrant an increase. The success of Jurassic Park probably got them all excited

I know the Beatles overstock is driving them all nuts

#116 2 years ago
    Quoted from KozMckPinball:

So:
    Guy A buyer paid $1000. Guy A buyer is a Guy B type of Guy. Guy A buyer's buyer pays $8000.
    Guy B buyer paid $8000.
    Guy C buyer paid $8000.
    Therefore the price of TZ is $8000.

I didn't mean they were all buying the same TZ. The problem is mainly in Guy B, albeit I was just making a general point towards the previous poster I was having a discussion with.

On one hand you could blame Guy B, but one the other hand you would be blaming him for asking a price that is selling/doable and on-market. It's a seller AND a buyer thang.

People and companies listing games for extreme prices -> other people fulfilling said prices -> voila here we are, and counting

Supply and demand is occurring. Two parties responsible. However the only one that can really stop it would be the buyers, because god knows the sellers won't (naturally. It would take a thousand sellers underpricing games for no reason and shooting themselves selflessly in feet big time to cause a revolution, it's impossible. Buyers can do it though...)

#123 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

On a recent podcast, Kaminkow claimed all existing Beatles are sold out & orders for the unbuilt ones are sold out as well.
    He lying?

Pinballs.com has them listed as in stock and they usually keep it pretty up to date

#128 2 years ago

***** THIS JUST IN *****

Gary was seen spotted participating in the Banning auction recently, hence the price change going forward.

stern (resized).jpgstern (resized).jpg
    #576 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

They are so far behind shipping games that I was way down the queue

Almost makes you wonder if it was intentional and they inserted a convenient little pause in there.

Actually, I'm sure it was... I'm sure they knew what they were doing by retroactively raising the prices for models previously priced lowers... orders all over the place... they knew what they were doing. Especially to the people already in queue for getting one. They are going to bank big on that: the fish that are already hooked.

#577 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern is taking people for a ride at these new insane prices. Regardless of whether or not people think Stern is better then JJP or vice versa it's clear which company has the greater cost per game and it's JJP. A Stern LE and JJP LE are now basically the same price. The JJP LE comes with significantly more hardware in it from the old Bally / Williams style lock down bar mech, the traditional head lock, and especially far more hardware in the head of the cabinet compared to a Stern. Open the backbox of a Stern and you will see a couple small boards, open a JJP backbox and you will 5x the amount of hardware. There's other items as well including the metal leg protectors, the entire head being made out of wood, boards being full RGB, etc. I won't even touch the coding aspect which I think is higher at JJP compared to Stern.
    Again none of what I said means one companies games are better or more fun then the other but it's clear which company is making more profit per game at these latest prices. Did Stern raise prices because material cost are up? Sure, a bit but the real reason for such a large price increase is that they believe there's enough people to continue buying games at the higher price point.
    Perhaps JJP will now raise prices from $10,500 to $11,500 after seeing what Stern did, then Stern will do the same in a year. The price increase madness will likely continue.

True shit. Like I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't be surprised if operators and collectors both lean towards JJP more now that the prices are so close. You get way more hardware and pizazz for your buck in a JJP, and while Sterns are great (and there are certain Sterns I would take over certain JJP games regardless of price anyways, such as Jurassic Park), I'm sure there's a lot of times when collectors went with a Stern instead of a JJP due to the price alone as their final decision-making factor. If you're undecided, that price difference was a big bargaining chip that made the answer a bit clearer and weighted heavily towards Stern... now gone.

If JJP is smart, they wouldn't do an increase and reap the benefits of Stern's silly decision. The closer that price gap is, is more sales for JJP. And lucky for them, they didn't have to stoop down... Stern rose up for them. Business as usual for JJP, as Stern made the change. The gap narrows...

"It's only $500 more..." is a lot more convincing than "It's $2,000-$3,000 more...", which is dangerous for Stern. The price gap was Stern's handicap to keep the playing field level as can be and I'm surprised they didn't realize that.

#588 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Again none of what I said means one companies games are better or more fun then the other

Quoted from Palmer:

Riiiiiiiiiight

I actually tend to like well-made Stern better than a well-made JJP (each has their gems and turds, but let's say a gem vs. a gem for precisely fair comparison) just based off of design, flow, artwork, and the flipper mechs, but there's no denying that a JJP bill-of-materials is above what Stern puts into their games. I believe that is what PanzerFreak is trying to say as well in his statement.

That's not an opinion, that's a fact you can prove. I believe that's what he was trying to say. They very clearly dump way more money into them at JJP than they do at Stern. Doesn't matter if the game is better or not. That's besides the point. Singlehandedly only speaking about the numbers, JJP puts more stuff into their games. Again, not an opinion... if you could acquire the bill of materials for each of the last 5 games from both I'm sure this would ring true as fact and not be up for discussion. "Fun factor" and whatever else totally aside, the guy is speaking facts about facts.

#590 2 years ago

I'm also glad JJP pushed Stern to do LCDs. The fact that LCDs weren't done in like 2003 is kind of laughable. Stern was 14 years late to the party in 2017. The technology existed way back in the early 2000's and it's all quite simple.

I have a feeling if it weren't for JJP we still be doing DMDs in Stern games. It's really a miracle they lasted as long as they did, especially into the late 2010's... surely driven by the monopoly and lack of any competition.

Driving an LCD was doable by 2003. And with the basic graphics they had in Batman and Aerosmith, that was doable back then too. Now Stern seems to finally have its feet wet with utilizing the screen to its full potential, but at first it was kind of rudimentary and all basic 2D graphics. (Batman and Aerosmith, etc.)

#595 2 years ago
    Quoted from Scandell:

Nevermind the fact they were initially 5-6 times the price as they are now…and they were limited heavily on the aspect ratios available. I mean….”screw you Stern!”

That could have been accounted for, but add a few years for padding if it makes you feel better and push it to the mid-2000s. At the most extreme least possible, by 2009-2010 there are no more excuses and everything was LCD-a-plenty by then. Every house had a widescreen LCD for their computer, a modern flatscreen LCD for their TV, the things were modern, and practically all hardware on Earth had switch to LCDs. Even car stereos switched to LCD around that time or earlier. The fact that it took 7 years after 2010 is laughable.

The only people buying DMDs after the mid-2000s was probably Stern and the NYC subway system replacing their ancient technology instead of updating them lol

#596 2 years ago

Such a shame because I feel like Ghostbusters would have been a home run with an LCD. Now I can't even play the dang thing, having gotten a taste of pinball with LCDs. It looks 15 years older now, and it surely shows that way on location too. Put a 2016 Ghostbusters next to a 2017 Stern and it's a big change.

As soon as the LCD dropped, they aged the prior set of games ahead of it by 10+ years. That would've been less painful in the 2000s than in the 2010s where a 2016 game is made to look ancient. Old tech the day they rolled out of the factory, it just took a few years for it to be "shown up" and immediately date them all (they already were dated, but nobody realized before then.)

#651 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

What’s laughable is that you don’t understand that tech wasn’t the issue. Stern had 1 or 2 guys doing dot animation. For an LCD you need an animation crew that’s well versed in modern traditional & 3D animation. It costs more & is a different pipeline. To keep on Stern’s schedule, they couldn’t just switch quickly. On top of that, licensors were letting them get away with likenesses & footage on dots that they are sometimes not allowed to do in HD full color.

I believe you could find 20 2D animators and 20 3D modelers (having experience in said things, they're all over the place) per 1 dot-matrix animator. You really think it's the other way around?

Perhaps Stern probably just already had the dot-matrix people and was nervous to rock the boat, but 2D animators and 3D modelers are both one of those jobs where the people are plentifully basically begging for work.

Now that they're doing 3D-modeled graphics (thankfully) which they weren't doing in the earliest games like Aerosmith, obviously that requires yet another set of skills and hands, albeit it seems they are going totally 2D animation or totally 3D animations (GUI always being 2D obviously) so never "both".

I'd assume it would be way easier and more cost efficient to find a 2D artist or a 3D modeler than some of the dot matrix stuff they were doing, let alone the time it takes.

Additionally, it seems like most of these people also tend to work alone or with a small group.

The animation is the easy part and basically the cherry on top of the total game. I wouldn't be surprised if a single skilled animator could crank out all the animations in a game in a week to three weeks. It's not really that big of an undertaking.

I'm sure dot matrix animation is a way more complicated process than an artist drawing freehand on a tablet and creating different frames of animation (particularly easy in the digital age now that we have virtual tablets, and can save and erase to create minor changes for animation), or a 3D modeler crafting things up in Blender.

Add pre-recorded pre-existing live action footage (where permitted) that couldn't be done before, with no work whatsoever, to fill in the gaps like The Beatles, and you have a big time and work advantage actually.

#656 2 years ago

Shows like South Park make an episode a week because all of the assets are computerized and the animation is standardized.

Once you get the characters and worlds 3D modeled, it's smooth sailing from there.

South Park is animated more like 3D than 2D as well in a program called Maya, and takes any of the drawing out of it.

With the aesthetics on certain Stern games in the 2D era, I assume this route may be used as well... albeit not in all cases. It's definitely a streamlined process.

I would consider the amount of animations in a pinball machine to be quite small as well. Very repetitive.

#658 2 years ago
    Quoted from Palmer:

Also wanted to add...because I think this is important...there is a lot of room for improvement with LCD animation. But I imagine the current stat is because of the production schedule of games, the amount of people doing that job (one person?), and just what is allowed to be used based on the IP holder.

I was extremely impressed with how they've come from Aerosmith (2D) to Jurassic Park (3D). The 3D-modeled atmosphere was a great touch and something that should've been done from the first place. I guess they're still grasping the capabilities of the LCD.

You could really tell in the early games that lacked any kind of 3D animation, but looks like they are improving a few years down the road now.

#663 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

They were actually doing 3D on DMDs…which was probably a transitional ramp up to LCD. Star Trek had some 3D modeled scenes of the Enterprise (or Vengeance?), Goatf***ers has tons of 3D…the Ecto-1 scenes, for example. It’s just downrez’d & displayed as dots.

I figured they'd just convert certain videos to dots (and meant to include that in my reply), albeit the results sometimes were a bit odd. It's certainly an easy way to do things, but it got even easier now... now they just dump the real footage in completely untouched. I guess it depends if the license really has stipulations that differ between converted movie footage and just the footage itself in the end, but in the end everything is so much easier on LCD physically - speaking literally rather than how much of a PITA the licensors make it.

Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not about finding them. It’s about affording to pay a crew vs. 1 dude & creating a schedule/pipeline that Stern has never done before after doing dots since the 90s.

I really feel like the 2017-era 2D animations were probably all done by the same dude, and the more recent 3D animations are probably done either by one dude or a very small team.

I'm not saying it isn't time consuming, I'm just saying it's probably as time consuming (or lack thereof) as DMD animation. Just gotta teach or replace the people. 2D animations are insanely plentiful in the world, and albeit 3D modelers and animations are slightly more niche, it's not by much.

#665 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

South Park is reusing 90% of the same assets week to week. The art direction is simple & hasn’t changed in 20 years, so creating new assets is relatively simple. Every single Stern game has a different style, art direction, rules from the licensor, assets available or lack thereof. I don’t think 1 Stern LCD game has reused anything from another.

Yes, I took that into account:

Quoted from Gameseum:

Once you get the characters and worlds 3D modeled, it's smooth sailing from there.

Also, just one South Park episode is 30 minutes, a Stern pinball machine probably has 3-4 minutes overall, tops?

#667 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

And the movie clip approach used on games like Guardians is my least favorite.

Yep, it's the same vein of Stern using real pictures for pinball artwork in the late 2000s and early 2010s. Thankfully they went back to the drawn style. Lots of Pinside threads were had over the "cookie cutter" artwork from that period.

On that note, I really like the stock JP code & amimations, not sure why the movie code is such a hit - feels so tacky and fake too. To each their own I guess. Like you, I'd rather have new animations than old real footage. And that's a mod... when they do it officially it's even more of a shame. Easy way out I suppose.

#671 2 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I hated on the JP LCD when it launched, but now that I have it, I respect the approach & while you’re playing, it fits perfectly. Sure there are a few wonky things, but overall I think they did an excellent job. Now, if I had a TMNT, I’d def change that to the 80s cartoon clips mod lol

I don't think I've ever loved a game as much as I love my Jurassic Park and it also makes bank like no other lol

Stern animations could definitely be a little more polished as they look a little 2002 themselves at times but they're definitely heading in the right direction and getting better and better at using the technology.

Can't say enough great things about JP though

Now I just scratch my head about why they didn't do perhaps the most simple change ever, create a simple front-end to not still make the operator menu an emulated DMD screen, but whatever Probably has as much to do with operator familiarity as it does with Stern just employing that "If it ain't broke" attitude. Always found that to be odd and hope eventually they utilize the damn screen fully

Thanks for the interesting discussion

#675 2 years ago

Most importantly, the guy at Sega who made the little DMD icons for the operator menu better be getting royalty checks from Stern! (I kid, I kid.) 20+ years of service!

20210917_142906 (resized).jpg20210917_142906 (resized).jpg

20210917_143649 (resized).jpg20210917_143649 (resized).jpg
    #679 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

That shit menu is a disgrace
    They've had more than enough time to update it

Lol. The whole thing needs replaced of course, but it's funny to see how exact it still is from day 1.

Even the "fire knocker" icon still has a plunger...
    not only does the 2021-built game not have a real knocker, neither does the 1999 one. Both digital.

So many levels deep in the outdated wormhole

1 month later
    #1228 2 years ago

Went to go buy a TMNT Pro as I know Mike at Automated (pinballs.com) has a bunch overstock as most do, but the price is the new price (in 2021??????) despite the game being released a year prior. I was barely a taker at the regular price and not super feeling the game, so especially not buying now.

(Not a big fan of the game but finally warmed up to the idea that the theme would probably absolutely kill on location like my Turtles arcade game does, and is the most polished of the turds Stern is releasing lately)

If anybody finds a distributor still at the real price let me know please

What a crock of s*** that Stern is retroactively applying the price increase under the guise of their s***ty connect system, even to games that were lukewarm at the normal price ala LZ, Beatles, TMNT, Stranger Things, and more.

It must suck for the distributors having to increase the price on a stack of games collecting dust from already not being able to sell at the lower price

#1231 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I didn’t think stern was retroactively applying price increases on titles already out prior to GZ, particularly since those games don’t have the connect system installed. Sounds like it’s a distro taking advantage. Have you tried Cointaker?

Same thing. I could've sworn they had stock but I guess not? (EDIT: They are in stock)

Cointaker is doing TMNT pro pre-orders at the $6600 price point

#1233 2 years ago

10/30/2021

Last time I checked it was the $5,999 price

All other distributors I found have increased as well. Blaaaaaaaaah

Guess this is the ripple effect from the price increase & matching competition

Well that really sucks

Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

#1235 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Yeah, preorders won't be filled until 2022 so that is at the new price.

Yeah that makes sense but even the places with them in stock (2021 and prior stock) have increased. Sad but that is business I suppose

#1239 2 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Why does it suck, are you in the market for one?

Your random uncalled for off-topic insults for some 5+ year old grudge are lame as is but they are even worse when you have so little material that a kindergartener could do better

Get a life you are boring me Imagine following somebody around on Pinside to downvotes posts and post stupid replies lmao

#1243 2 years ago

Same goes for your [Removed] buddy @electrocute. Y'all got me laughing.
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

#1244 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

We made this market. Stern watches this forum like a hawk does a mouse. They see people overpaying, people flipping NIBs and getting buyers, and they are taking FULL advantage of it. Especially when people put in their ads "Will pay over MSRP....will overpay to get one..."etc good gosh all mighty - reaks of desperation which is an immediate flag for Stern to just keep raising prices, then JJP follows, then Stern does it again, then JJP, sea-saw, sea-saw, sea-saw. And now CGC is starting at $8K - kiss that "classic edition" goodbye. Why waste money selling "penny stock" equivalents when we can sell Tesla/Amazon equivalent stocks and this community can't stop itself.
    Welcome to the new market. And the used market will follow - $4000 JMs, $6000 Shadows, Monopoly going for $5000, DEJPs for $4000+, TFTC approaching $5K, Dracula breaking $4K consistently now, even LW3s breaking $3K; remakes costing more, originals going up more - but hey, it's somehow good for pinball!!!! I know it's good for my wallet as I sell a couple games - might as well ride this wave. Don't know when it'll crest, but I'm making sure I ride this sucker out like a cryptocurrency!

It'll be so exciting when it crashes because of how much more appreciation the games get now. Here's hoping one day one can get a TAF for $2500 while remembering the times they were $10000, with the appreciation of them being that same $10000

#1247 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

This requires some clarification - IF it is in stock now, it should be the lower price -
    ANY title built after the new year new price.

There's no maximum SRP so naturally any of the distributors with stock left have upped the price already it seems as of this week, as you would pay $600 less and get it instantly if they hadn't, instead of $600 more for a game at a competitor and have to wait 6 months. It would be a great sales tatic to use that to fuel sales as you are the cheaper option but I guess they don't have much stock left and would rather take all they can get (that's business I suppose)

#1249 2 years ago

Anywhere I'm seeing with older Stern stock has already upped the price (even without insider connect kits)

I don't think this was a Stern directive, just the ability to price gouge now that this is the direction things are going

#1251 2 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

One thing to keep in mind is boomers can't bring their collections to the nursing homes or be buried with them. This is a cyclical thing. I can count the guys I know under 60 (other than ops) buying new games on one hand. This board may be an exception, but most people don't think buying $10k toys is much of a status symbol to be proud of. And when you keel over, your family is gonna want the cash from an auction if your buddies don't step in to rip them off. Sorry, boomers.. I know the truth hurts, but don't forget my name.

I'm 23 and look forward to the days of $100 Addams Family machines albeit a bit depressing with the entire community gone and all the parts creators out of business. But I'll have one hell of a basement!

Pinballing is going be frickin' weird in a few decades... sort of like the 90's again I presume, except even less desirable.

I find it more depressing than gratifying though... I'd much rather an active community than ample amount of cheap games to buy.

#1256 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People been saying the bubble will burst since before you were alive. Literally.
    Sorry man. Not happening.

I'm well aware in the next 30 years, but I'm talking extremely long term (40-50 years) about when I'm the age of most people in the EM section here, the community is dead figuratively and literally, and pinballs are like Hummels most of your grandkids are trying to get out of the garage most via sledgehammer.

Pinball in 50 years is going to be extremely dystopian. I pray that's not the reality but I don't see my generation picking it up let alone the next ones... and that's questioning playing on location, let alone owning. I think location play will still be a thing but dedicated collectors may be a stretch by that point

50 years from now I will be 73 and I would be entirely surprised if an Addams Family pinball machine (79 years old then) has any value let alone a skyrocketed one

#1258 2 years ago

It'll be me, @mbaumle, and @MisterMoberg saving 50 CFTBLs from going to the junkyard and having a beer in your honor Levi. Calling it right now.

(I'm going to stop now before I throw myself into an existential crisis. Pinball in 50 years sure may be lonely. DEPRESSING)

#1259 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Culturally, humans like to collect/repair old things decades/centuries old. Maybe it will be niche, but then, it's always been niche.

I guess so, but it's pre-war pins level of "antique" collectors comparatively. Those things were worth some good money before that community died off (literally) and now they have value to anybody who can appreciate them but it is few and far between. Antique collectors are way more into them then genuine pinball guys, but the pinball guys are what keep the hobby and numbers alive.

Plus there are several thousand TAF floating around so they won't be worth anything from a "rare antique" perspective, just a pinball perspective

#1263 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Must be real busy again today at that super duper arcade, huh? Shouldn't you be tending to your 100's of customers instead of scrolling online, stirring crap up, again?

Made 20 grand this month, figured I deserved to treat myself to a little poking of Electrocute and DadOfTwins... a little R&R relaxation. Nobody else is bothered but you children

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider gameseum.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-you-stern-and-your-price-increases?tu=gameseum and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.