Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,382 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111giphy.gif
    2244DAC6-65A3-4A3F-89AF-536F3DB8DD85 (resized).jpeg
    C7946D6D-4975-4F5F-B293-2F28A22E9E68 (resized).jpeg
    50AE510F-1999-433B-9532-941F09A8AD3B (resized).jpeg
    chloe (resized).png
    5968D338-B470-4DBE-877D-A3942AC2CB43 (resized).jpeg
    Market (resized).JPG
    smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drypaint.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#213 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

Its one thing if the game isn't earning, but if it earns, how is the math different when NIB prices were lower? The initial outlay of course is larger, but if residual value is the same, does the math really change? You route the game for 2 years, take in $x, which hopefully is unchanged (or maybe higher) from previous titles. You then decide to sell the game. All that should matter is whether that residual value has changed for the worse. Seems as though residual value has been rising so you could potentially route a game for 2 years, earn from it and then sell it at the price you paid for NIB or close to it.

A 2 year routed game does not sell for the same as the HUO game that has 100 plays after 2 years. Especially with assholes death saving and rage tilting because they think pinball machines are public property. New Sterns today are averaging $1 per play and often $2/3 plays. Thats $0.67 per game with the bonus credit. I was paying under $6k for a pro just over a year ago. Now over $7k. Price per play has not changed yet.... But I am starting to hear chatter from other locations.

Breaking even in business is not worth it. Not even close.

What is the ceiling for throwing quarters into the machines on location before people stop coming in to our places?

Its sad because the quality of these Stern machines is getting so bad. The new service button assemblies feel like dollar store plastic and don't work half the time. A real nuisance for us operators who need them often. Investing in buckets of coil stops and other basic parts that break prematurely ads to the cost as well.

But... You have to always have the new stuff. Customers want the new.

#216 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Prices have been going up and people complaining for as long as I have been in the hobby. You honestly expect prices to never change? Prices are rising on just about everything. It sucks but at least with pinball you don't have to buy.

for me the complaint is the cost to quality. If quality goes down and price goes up thats a problem. If cost goes up and quality stays quality, then fine. Also, as a location I for one do need to buy the new equipment or become obsolete.

#231 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Operators are playing the same game we are these days.
    The games are not a "sunk cost." They know what they are worth, and they know that if they route a game for 4 years and then decide to sell it, they'll get pretty close to what they originally paid for it. So I don't see this as an issue.

Every year there are about 7 new pinball machines released. In 4 years that is about 28. You think locations can keep all of their games around for 4 years so they can wait until the market on the title comes around to appreciating? Unless you are skipping many new titles, of course. I would imagine most of us are not earning back our return until we sell, and even then for the maintenance time, cost, moving around games to keep things fresh, and all the other headaches its hardly a return. Its a labor of love... Until you burn out. Then apparently you just hire the Captain to auction the remains and boom! Payout

#235 2 years ago
    Quoted from Lermods:

I don't disagree with you, but I didn't say prices of routed games would go for the same as HUO games, just what you paid NIB or close to it. HUO prices have been rising and often sell for more than NIB prices, particularly for games no longer being produced. Similarly, the price of a routed game also has been rising. If you bought a deadpool pro a couple of years ago, say for $5200, you should be able to sell it today routed for around $4500, maybe more if it's not beat to hell. If you bought a metallica pro, a routed game will now go for above what the NIB price was, assuming not beat to hell. If it is beat to hell, odds are you earned a lot from it. If you buy godzilla pro at $6800, what's the residual value after a couple of years?? $6000-6200?? If it's a lot less than $6000, the math would be changing against operators unless they can charge more per game.
    I hear you on the quality and the need for constant repairs definitely would factor into the equation, particularly if things are getting worse.

certainly some truth... Title depending. Some titles that you think will slay turn out to be a turd and you hope to break even or you just run from it and take a loss.

Bottom line... Its a conundrum. One I am obviously willing to navigate. Pinball is fun. Pinball is hard. Pinball keeps us coming back.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider drypaint.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-you-stern-and-your-price-increases?tu=drypaint and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.