Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,382 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111giphy.gif
    2244DAC6-65A3-4A3F-89AF-536F3DB8DD85 (resized).jpeg
    C7946D6D-4975-4F5F-B293-2F28A22E9E68 (resized).jpeg
    50AE510F-1999-433B-9532-941F09A8AD3B (resized).jpeg
    chloe (resized).png
    5968D338-B470-4DBE-877D-A3942AC2CB43 (resized).jpeg
    Market (resized).JPG
    smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif

There are 1,382 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 28.
    #1 2 years ago

Looks like I'm going to write off buying sterns - with the new price hike - I just cancelled my deadpool order - It's to a point where they crossed the line. Bummer because they have some titles I still wanted to get. Someone has to start saying no - Looks like I'll be one of them.

#2 2 years ago

What was the new DP price?

#3 2 years ago

Been in this camp since - 2018 when I bought Jessica a GOTPro. The increases just seem driven by something other than market. I get inflation and BOM increases, but damn, that was a pretty significant jump from Mandalorian, and that game was released this year.

Current Premium prices have surpassed LE prices from 2014 and are only about $100 away from Ghostbusters LE, and that was only 5 years ago.

I get capitalism, and I get price increases for economic reasons. This doesn't feel that - I can't imagine the Godzilla rights were THAT much more than Avengers whose owner is Di$ney.

Something really doesn't sit well with this increase. It feels dubiously planned and intentional, like they really wanted to see how far they could push it.

Got to give it to them: they are looking for the ceiling. Wonder what it'll be: $10K Pros? $17K Premiums? $25K LEs? Whatever it is, it'll be kind of fun to watch from the sideline.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Looks like I'm going to write off buying sterns - with the new price hike - I just cancelled my deadpool order - It's to a point where they crossed the line. Bummer because they have some titles I still wanted to get. Someone has to start saying no - Looks like I'll be one of them.

Why do you have the same profile pic as @zr11990?

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

I'm with you. Plus, the QR scanner is gay.

P.s. I miss SAM era Stern.

#6 2 years ago
    Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Across the board jump with Godzilla release. Hey at least we are in an arcade renaissance - looks like I'll be dropping quarters in the future

#7 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Why do you have the same profile pic as zr11990?

In memory of Who-Dey

#8 2 years ago
    Quoted from GrandFireball1:

Same as everything else starting 1/1/2022.

#9 2 years ago

This gave me the push to pick up an Alien - hey Melissa!

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

In memory of Who-Dey

Thanks, I miss that guy too.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

I get capitalism, and I get price increases for economic reasons. This doesn't feel that

It is that. Got to get while the getting is good. They have way more demand than supply right now. They have to respond with price hikes to take advantage.

#12 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

It is that. Got to get while the getting is good. They have way more demand than supply right now. They have to respond with price hikes to take advantage.

We can agree to respectfully disagree on this.

EDIT: Actually I don't fully disagree with you. They're CERTAINLY are taking advantage of their customers.

#13 2 years ago

They definitely found their ceiling with me. I've been buying NIB Sterns for years and can't see myself doing it anymore at these new prices. First world problems.....

#14 2 years ago

While I'm at it - going all in on my frustration - they have the gall to charge that much for a machine but not offer support. Well I guess if you get one reply out of ten support emails that will work, and don't try calling. Good grief!

flamethrower.gifflamethrower.gif
    #15 2 years ago

I guess I’ll be the one to say it: these price hikes will help put a floor under used pin prices. I just got an LZ Premium for $7k and I’m feeling downright thrifty.

I didn’t mind paying $500 more for an LCD display, or even a little more for Spike, which has turned out to be a very solid system. But what new feature is going to make someone (even an operator) pay $8999 for a premium? I’m not seeing it. I’m still in for a Rush, if that happens. But I may have to settle for the Pro. First world problems indeed.

#16 2 years ago

Yeah I dont know about you guys, but my income hasn't increased at all, in fact its been stagnant for 10 years, yet everything keeps going up!
    Help!

#17 2 years ago

I can't blame Stern when everyone is selling used games (Pros, Premiums, and LEs) for higher than NIB prices. I'm not buying at current NIB prices but theres a shit ton of collectors that are. Good for Stern and the other companies for capitalizing while the market is hot. It's not always going to be this way so they may as well take advantage while times are good.

#18 2 years ago

Yep. Price hikes blow, but it’s supply and demand, nothing more. They are testing the market just like any other business would that has way more demand than supply. And it’s trickling down to the distributors too. Just have to save up more to buy one. Or buy something else until prices get back to where they are worth it for you. And hope you aren’t just now getting into buying NIB. Haha

#19 2 years ago

A rising tide lifts all boats; this will pull up used prices too.

Who is going to step in and take market share by undercutting Stern? No one it seems.

American may have the cheapest machines right now but we’ll see how long that lasts.

Pinball Brothers just bumped Alien from $7777 to $8595.

#20 2 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

I can't blame Stern when everyone is selling used games (Pros, Premiums, and LEs) for higher than NIB prices. I'm not buying at current NIB prices but there are plenty of collectors that are. Good for Stern and the other companies for capitalizing while the market is hot. It's not always going to be this way so they may as well take advantage while times are good.

Time have been good for YEARS. FFS, they have had ghosting inserts, cabinet decals that didn't stick, cabinets falling apart, node board failures, and the most recent PF-artwork-pooling-and-falling-off, and they STILL are selling with zero issues. If anything, COVID turbo-charged this situation, and members here who double as distributors certainly didn't help.

That being said, the used market will continue to increase its floor. Days of B/W sub-$3K games is pretty much over, and B-titles are venturing into A-title territory.

#21 2 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

Pinball Brothers just bumped Alien from $7777 to $8595.

Bwhahahahaha. Wow.

#22 2 years ago

I'm new to the hobby and this is sad. My Stern NIB time was short lived. It's not even about the money, I can can afford almost any price Stern choses to set, however it's the principle. I just picked up a Hobbit and I'm getting a GnR LE after owning an SE...and tbh they actually feel more like they are worth $9K. I haven't felt a Stern Premium yet that felt like $9K worth of pinball (including my JP and AIQ Premiums). It's just not there for me...

That's OK, time for me to explore some of the 90's pins that linger out there, plenty of gems, and I'm just getting started.

#23 2 years ago

I bought my first NIB Stern this time last year, a Jurassic Park pro, and with a deal on a new credit card, it came out to $5,600. I’ve been saving up for another one and was ok with a $100-$300 increase, but over 1k what I paid a year ago? Can’t do it. Unless I win a scratch off or a project pinball raffle I’m one and out. Sterns not the only company doing this, Disney priced us out of annual passes and we have been buying them far longer than I’ve been buying pinball machines. They are way over double what I used to pay and I get less.

#24 2 years ago

I bought my first used machine this year. My family was excited to start looking at a second. Well, with this price increase, it's really hard to justify anything NIB. We spent between $5K-$6K on our first machine, and that was more than we anticipated spending the first go round (we had no knowledge of the market prices of pins and just assumed they sold for less). Spending $7K on a pro just seems silly.

#25 2 years ago

Where on the price curve are we?

bellCurve1-768x428 (resized).pngbellCurve1-768x428 (resized).png
    #26 2 years ago

This is a hobby for people who have a decent amount of disposable income. Stern and others cant make enough of these things to meet demand. It only makes sense as a company to raise prices. Stern's costs have also gone up for sure. People arent going to work anymore so you have to pay better. Supplies cost more and have longer lead times. And Im hoping folks like KME and ZY are getting paid more as well. So Stern is making a bit more on each game but they also are spending a bit more for each as well. Its a business folks and they get to decide how to price things. If they raise prices 15%(or whatever it is) but only lose a small amount of buyers they probably come out ahead.

If it turns out they are making a bad move theyll adjust down the line. Between this and the banning auction all of our games are now worth more now. So if were selling to make room we can capatalize on the increases as well.

#27 2 years ago

I saw the new price points and about $hit my pants! First thought that popped into my head? I can play a ton of location games for that money, at my leisure, and have no maintenance costs nor deal with factory playfield problems.

#28 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

[quoted image]

We probably aren’t facing a curve. The one pictured there actually goes back down.

#29 2 years ago

great point . yeah Screw stern Pricing.
    the game cost about 3.5 k in parts and labor
    yeah yeah that's the ticket
    and even at that that is 3.5 thousand games at 1 dollar a play so just save yo money and play on location

Quoted from DadofTwins:

I saw the new price points and about $hit my pants! First thought that popped into my head? I can play a ton of location games for that money, at my leisure, and have no maintenance costs nor deal with factory playfield problems.

#30 2 years ago

Man its getting steeeep.
    As long as you can sell them at the same % that would take the sting away a bit.

#31 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Exactly why my 44 pin collection has been reduced to 9 and still selling

#32 2 years ago
    Quoted from jints56:

They definitely found their ceiling with me. I've been buying NIB Sterns for years and can't see myself doing it anymore at these new prices. First world problems.....

I’m out as well. Basically, $7000 for a Pro just isn’t worth it to me anymore. For me, and I know others will disagree, but the value just isn’t there at that price.

#33 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

That is EXACTLY my thought process.

Quoted from EJS:

We probably aren’t facing a curve. The one pictured there actually goes back down.

No. We're not there yet. It's going to take a Pro being the old LE price of $8K or so before some people cool off and realize how fleeced they're being.

Quoted from clearstar:

... time for me to explore some of the 90's pins that linger out there, plenty of gems, and I'm just getting started.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

Quoted from medeski7:

We spent between $5K-$6K on our first machine, and that was more than we anticipated spending the first go round (we had no knowledge of the market prices of pins and just assumed they sold for less). Spending $7K on a pro just seems silly.

Twelve years ago, you could have bought 3 or 4 B/W B-titles (DM, JM, Shadow, WH2O) COMBINED for that price.

Welcome to now.

#34 2 years ago
    Quoted from Krupps4:

I’m out as well. Basically, $7000 for a Pro just isn’t worth it to me anymore. For me, and I know others will disagree, but the value just isn’t there at that price.

You don't think the value is there if the machine retains value or even appreciates?

#35 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

[quoted image]

Hopefully right at the tippy top! Haha

#36 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

I just hope this doesn’t force operators out of the game. Quite a few of the ones around me used to get Premiums but I’m starting to see a lot more Pros on location now.

#37 2 years ago

Yeah, crazy pricing as premiums are almost what i paid for my LEs. I’ve bought the last 5 LEs but I’m out on Godzilla. 10.5k is way too much for me. My plan is to focus on my grail pins and call it a day. I’ve got one lined up already, fingers crossed until it’s in my house!

#38 2 years ago
    Quoted from jester523:

You don't think the value is there if the machine retains value or even appreciates?

Let's see how that works if the housing and stock markets take a dive

#39 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

great point . yeah Screw stern Pricing.
    the game cost about 3.5 k in parts and labor
    yeah yeah that's the ticket
    and even at that that is 3.5 thousand games at 1 dollar a play so just save yo money and play on location

Says someone that bought a guns and roses ce!? you got ripped off horribly if you bought new and ESPECIALLY used. Talk about a low BOM compared to sticker price. Easily the worst offender game there is.

#40 2 years ago
    Quoted from clearstar:

That's OK, time for me to explore some of the 90's pins that linger out there, plenty of gems, and I'm just getting started.

Or the 60s,70s, and 80s games. Tons of good ones.

#41 2 years ago

Glad I've had the pleasure of owning over 250 pins in the last 13 or so years. It's been a good ride and did better than my investments

#42 2 years ago

I think at this point, it's almost comparable to commission your own custom game.

#43 2 years ago

I'm at the point where I don't even want them to do the vault games I've been hoping for because the prices are are a non starter. Oh well. Guess I'll be on the sidelines of this hobby from now on.

#44 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Let's see how that works if the housing and stock markets take a dive

I think it’s the only way we will see the ceiling. I work with commercial office furniture (most of it is still made in the USA, by the way) and most of our manufacturers implemented a price increase in June…most are talking about another one in December. Some have gone up as much as 15% in the past 12 months. Demand is high and supply is low.

#45 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Glad I've had the pleasure of owning over 250 pins in the last 13 or so years. It's been a good ride and did better than my investments

If I'm not mistaken, if your deadpool you had on order was made this year, it would only incur a $200 price increase to cover the insider connected platform. After the new year, they get the new Godzilla rate.

#46 2 years ago
    Quoted from Happy81724:

Yeah, crazy pricing as premiums are almost what i paid for my LEs. I’ve bought the last 5 LEs but I’m out on Godzilla. 10.5k is way too much for me. My plan is to focus on my grail pins and call it a day. I’ve got one lined up already, fingers crossed until it’s in my house!

We were talking about you today and I said what if you passed on the LE. I guess I could slide right in...

#47 2 years ago

Demand is outpacing supply. Less people buying is the whole point. I'm sure there's plenty of talk in expanding operations, but that's a major operational move.

#48 2 years ago

Sterns just taking out the people who buy there LEs just to turn around and sell them for more money. I bet stern Will have no problem selling all 1000 Godzilla LE's. Everything is going up everywhere or being made smaller for the same money. I just got a 6% cost of living increase and I will probably get another. Don't blame stern it's across the board.

#49 2 years ago

I heard that AOC was wearing a dress that said "Tax the NIB buyers."

#50 2 years ago
    Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

If I'm not mistaken, if your deadpool you had on order was made this year, it would only incur a $200 price increase to cover the insider connected platform. After the new year, they get the new Godzilla rate.

Guess when the next run is

There are 1,382 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-you-stern-and-your-price-increases?hl=explosiveegg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.