Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,382 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111giphy.gif
    2244DAC6-65A3-4A3F-89AF-536F3DB8DD85 (resized).jpeg
    C7946D6D-4975-4F5F-B293-2F28A22E9E68 (resized).jpeg
    50AE510F-1999-433B-9532-941F09A8AD3B (resized).jpeg
    chloe (resized).png
    5968D338-B470-4DBE-877D-A3942AC2CB43 (resized).jpeg
    Market (resized).JPG
    smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif
    There are 1,382 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 28.
    #1251 2 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

One thing to keep in mind is boomers can't bring their collections to the nursing homes or be buried with them. This is a cyclical thing. I can count the guys I know under 60 (other than ops) buying new games on one hand. This board may be an exception, but most people don't think buying $10k toys is much of a status symbol to be proud of. And when you keel over, your family is gonna want the cash from an auction if your buddies don't step in to rip them off. Sorry, boomers.. I know the truth hurts, but don't forget my name.

I'm 23 and look forward to the days of $100 Addams Family machines albeit a bit depressing with the entire community gone and all the parts creators out of business. But I'll have one hell of a basement!

Pinballing is going be frickin' weird in a few decades... sort of like the 90's again I presume, except even less desirable.

I find it more depressing than gratifying though... I'd much rather an active community than ample amount of cheap games to buy.

#1252 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

I'm 23 and look forward to the days of $100 Addams Family machines albeit a bit depressing with the entire community gone and all the parts creators out of business. But I'll have one hell of a basement!
    Pinballing is going be frickin' weird in a few decades... sort of like the 90's again I presume, except even less desirable.
    I find it more depressing than gratifying though... I'd much rather an active community than ample amount of cheap games to buy.

I think in a few decades we'll be more concerned about the electric bill and if we have enough spare change to risk turning them on.

#1253 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

It'll be so exciting when it crashes because of how much more appreciation the games get now. Here's hoping one day one can get a TAF for $2500 while remembering the times they were $10000, with the appreciation of them being that same $10000

People been saying the bubble will burst since before you were alive. Literally.

Sorry man. Not happening.

#1254 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

People like them, so I doubt they'll get that cheap. Maybe some of the old OPs that were around for the clearance liquidations in the 90's can chime in. The bigger problem (as you mention) will be spare parts if the prices do fall through the basement. Just 15 years ago my local e-recycler brought 5 Wiliams games to the dump because he couldn't find anyone to make them work. I met him a year late. The sad thing is the manufacturers probably will blow their current windfalls and belly-up during the down cycle. C'est la vie.

#1255 2 years ago

The bubble keeps getting BIGGER and BIGGER with each new game release.

#1256 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People been saying the bubble will burst since before you were alive. Literally.

I'm well aware in the next 30 years, but I'm talking extremely long term (40-50 years) about when I'm the age of most people in the EM section here, the community is dead figuratively and literally, and pinballs are like Hummels most of your grandkids are trying to get out of the garage most via sledgehammer.

Pinball in 50 years is going to be extremely dystopian. I pray that's not the reality but I don't see my generation picking it up let alone the next ones... and that's questioning playing on location, let alone owning. I think location play will still be a thing but dedicated collectors may be a stretch by that point

50 years from now I will be 73 and I would be entirely surprised if an Addams Family pinball machine (79 years old then) has any value let alone a skyrocketed one

#1257 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

I'm well aware in the next 30 years, but I'm talking extremely long term (40-50 years) about when I'm the age of most people in the EM section here, the community is dead figuratively and literally, and pinballs are like Hummels most of your grandkids are trying to get out of the garage most via sledgehammer.
    Pinball in 50 years is going to be extremely dystopian. I pray that's not the reality but I don't see my generation picking it up let alone the next ones... and that's questioning playing on location, let alone owning. I think location play will still be a thing but dedicated collectors may be a stretch by that point

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Culturally, humans like to collect/repair old things decades/centuries old. Maybe it will be niche, but then, it's always been niche.

#1258 2 years ago

It'll be me, @mbaumle, and @MisterMoberg saving 50 CFTBLs from going to the junkyard and having a beer in your honor Levi. Calling it right now.

(I'm going to stop now before I throw myself into an existential crisis. Pinball in 50 years sure may be lonely. DEPRESSING)

#1259 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Culturally, humans like to collect/repair old things decades/centuries old. Maybe it will be niche, but then, it's always been niche.

I guess so, but it's pre-war pins level of "antique" collectors comparatively. Those things were worth some good money before that community died off (literally) and now they have value to anybody who can appreciate them but it is few and far between. Antique collectors are way more into them then genuine pinball guys, but the pinball guys are what keep the hobby and numbers alive.

Plus there are several thousand TAF floating around so they won't be worth anything from a "rare antique" perspective, just a pinball perspective

#1260 2 years ago

Bubble or not. Only you can prevent Forest Fires .
    Just say no to NIB!

smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpgsmokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg

#1261 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

50 years from now I will be 73 and I would be entirely surprised if an Addams Family pinball machine (79 years old then) has any value let alone a skyrocketed one

The Addams family animated movies are popular with kids right now.
    My kid is into big band LPs.
    Who knows, it is all cyclical.
    Nothing is set in stone.

#1262 2 years ago

Must be real busy again today at that super duper arcade, huh? Shouldn't you be tending to your 100's of customers instead of scrolling online, stirring crap up, again?

Quoted from Gameseum:

Same goes for your [Removed] buddy Electrocute. Y'all got me laughing. [quoted image]

#1263 2 years ago
    Quoted from DadofTwins:

Must be real busy again today at that super duper arcade, huh? Shouldn't you be tending to your 100's of customers instead of scrolling online, stirring crap up, again?

Made 20 grand this month, figured I deserved to treat myself to a little poking of Electrocute and DadOfTwins... a little R&R relaxation. Nobody else is bothered but you children

#1264 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:Your random uncalled for off-topic insults for some 5+ year old grudge are lame as is but they are even worse when you have so little material that a kindergartener could do better
    Get a life you are boring me Imagine following somebody around on Pinside to downvotes posts and post stupid replies lmao

Relax Otaku!

#1265 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

This requires some clarification - IF it is in stock now, it should be the lower price -
    ANY title built after the new year new price.

That’s what it is. But you also have to remember that distros are only held to MAP. They can charge 100k per game if they want. Trent’s prices always go up when he knows he can’t get more of a certain game.

#1266 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

Same goes for your [Removed] buddy Electrocute. Y'all got me laughing.

Wow dude… you seem like a really amazing person!

I love free speech - nothing better than knowing exactly where to (not ever) spend my time and money.

#1267 2 years ago

Different year, same Otaku.

#1268 2 years ago

F- this whole hobbie

#1269 2 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

F- this whole hobbie

Hobby?

#1270 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

That’s what it is. But you also have to remember that distros are only held to MAP. They can charge 100k per game if they want. Trent’s prices always go up when he knows he can’t get more of a certain game.

They go up the less he has in stock

#1271 2 years ago

If Apple lowering production#s for the new iphone, I think shits about t

Quoted from Gameseum:

Anywhere I'm seeing with older Stern stock has already upped the price (even without insider connect kits)
    I don't think this was a Stern directive, just the ability to price gouge now that this is the direction things are going

While I appreciate your sentiment, you can't price gouge a toy.

#1272 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

If Apple lowering production#s for the new iphone, I think shits about t

While I appreciate your sentiment, you can't price gouge a toy.

Funny, you seem to think that you can when regarding your gas hog You do realize that's a toy and unnecessary, and that those are companies too. Just out to make money, as much as they can.

#1273 2 years ago

Stern is making hay while the sun shines.. but, as always, winter is coming.

#1274 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

No shit... I can remember in 2011 or so when prices started climbing people saying that and machines were cheap back then.

I had someone offer me not one but 3 AFMs that needed some work and they were under 3k each. I passed... too expensive at the time.

#1275 2 years ago
    Quoted from SadSack:

Stern is making hay while the sun shines.. but, as always, winter is coming.

Doesn't appear to be...

#1276 2 years ago
    Quoted from 27dnast:

Doesn't appear to be...

It never does until it already has.

#1277 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Funny, you seem to think that you can when regarding your gas hog You do realize that's a toy and unnecessary, and that those are companies too. Just out to make money, as much as they can.

What, gas isn't essential? And when we know WHY prices have gone up, it's even more bullshit. Stern didn't shut down lines in an effort to create a shortage. Obviously we know people that did with oil.

#1278 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

What, gas isn't essential? And when we know WHY prices have gone up, it's even more bullshit. Stern didn't shut down lines in an effort to create a shortage. Obviously we know people that did with oil.

Gas isn't essential in the way that other things are. And gas guzzlers certainly aren't and are indeed as much of a luxury as pinball. Don't get me wrong, I drive a truck and I complain about gas prices too, but gas and oil is constantly manipulated, and it is way beyond what you are blaming it on. Ask the Russians last year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Russia%E2%80%93Saudi_Arabia_oil_price_war

Pinball is at that weird stage where you would think there's too much competition, but the companies still don't seem to produce enough to meet demand. Resales continue to go up, and people continue to pay for it. It's quite an interesting time. While I complain about the price of pins too...at the same time I find it kind of cool that something I've been (felt) alone in being into for decades is huge again. At some point demand will eventually come back down, we just don't have a clue if it will be in 5 months, 5 years, 5 decades....or maybe they will magically always be sought after, and when they bury us with them, graverobbers will dig them up.

#1279 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

... gas and oil is constantly manipulated, and it is way beyond what you are blaming it on....

Very true, but a good domestic production capacity can negate foreign manipulation's effect on prices

#1280 2 years ago

Gas was almost 5 a gallon a few years ago. then dropped then up. it is speculative and only makes Oil Barrons Richer / they get bonuses of an amount of money the common middle class worker has to work 5 years for. That is just the bonus..lol
    Gas does not need to be that high , But again . Can charge what they want / GREED until People start to _(*&&^

#1281 2 years ago

You know what, I'm starting to change my tune on this. In part of these NIB increases, I sold my Shadow for 64% more than what I bought it for. Buyer is happy, and I am certainly happy - it is a win-win!

For those of us trimming collections down of games we haven't played in months and realizing it is ok to let a few go, man, thank you Stern and JJP....and those in the hobby buying and selling at these prices! My only regret is I don't have like 30 more games to sell.

#1282 2 years ago

How dare you sell at current market value. Spending all those earnings at Pincinnati I hope?

#1283 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Very true, but a good domestic production capacity can negate foreign manipulation's effect on prices

The whole idea is to keep ours until everyone else runs out, so they can charge as much as they want. At least, in the long game. What really happens is every decade or so they say 'omg we're almost out of oil' to get the prices back up.

#1284 2 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

How dare you sell at current market value. Spending all those earnings at Pincinnati I hope?

I'll be there, Mister!!

#1285 2 years ago

FU Stern and your.....QR scanner - not everybody is into connecting a machine to the internet and making an account - already have people asking how to turn it off on GZ...

#1286 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

FU Stern and your.....QR scanner - not everybody is into connecting a machine to the internet and making an account - already have people asking how to turn it off on GZ...

Good call!

Nobody has whined about the scanner yet.

#1287 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Gas isn't essential in the way that other things are. And gas guzzlers certainly aren't and are indeed as much of a luxury as pinball. Don't get me wrong, I drive a truck and I complain about gas prices too, but gas and oil is constantly manipulated, and it is way beyond what you are blaming it on. Ask the Russians last year: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_Russia%E2%80%93Saudi_Arabia_oil_price_war
    Pinball is at that weird stage where you would think there's too much competition, but the companies still don't seem to produce enough to meet demand. Resales continue to go up, and people continue to pay for it. It's quite an interesting time. While I complain about the price of pins too...at the same time I find it kind of cool that something I've been (felt) alone in being into for decades is huge again. At some point demand will eventually come back down, we just don't have a clue if it will be in 5 months, 5 years, 5 decades....or maybe they will magically always be sought after, and when they bury us with them, graverobbers will dig them up.

Your crazy. If gas isn't needed to get people to work so they can pay the bills and have a roof over their head, I don't know what is. Me? I can mostly work from home, but for those with no training or need to be onsite daily, it absolutely can cripple their lively hood after it rises 50%, IN 9 months...

#1288 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

Thought I would hate it… was ready to disconnect it on arrival. Then I used it… and it was cool.

#1289 2 years ago

Waaaaaa F you inflation. Waaaaaaaaa

#1290 2 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Waaaaaa F you inflation. Waaaaaaaaa

Inflation hurts the poor far more than you or I, have some heart for those already struggling. Thanks.

#1291 2 years ago

Pinside is a literal cesspool now

#1294 2 years ago

Dudes on the Big Green Egg forum are complaining about steak and seafood prices. Through the roof. I'm also on a Land Cruiser forum, but most everyone there just drives theirs forever, so new prices/availability doesn't matter.

#1295 2 years ago

In the words of Douglas Quaid F YOUUUUUUUUUUUUU

#1296 2 years ago

So... just a bunch of whiny old fat whiteys arguing... move along nothing to see here

#1297 2 years ago
    Quoted from acedanger:

So... just a bunch of whiny old fat whiteys arguing... move along nothing to see here

Heeeey! I'm not whiney!

#1298 2 years ago

I’m not fat

3 weeks later
    #1299 2 years ago

Yo momma said you Husky.

#1300 2 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Pinside is a literal cesspool now

Pinside just requires the occasional pool maintenance. Cesspool? Not even close. Seen soooo much worse elsewhere.

There are 1,382 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-you-stern-and-your-price-increases/page/26 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.