Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,382 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111giphy.gif
    2244DAC6-65A3-4A3F-89AF-536F3DB8DD85 (resized).jpeg
    C7946D6D-4975-4F5F-B293-2F28A22E9E68 (resized).jpeg
    50AE510F-1999-433B-9532-941F09A8AD3B (resized).jpeg
    chloe (resized).png
    5968D338-B470-4DBE-877D-A3942AC2CB43 (resized).jpeg
    Market (resized).JPG
    smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif
    There are 1,382 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 28.
    #1101 2 years ago

Is shipping free to distros and then they just skim a shipping fee on top of it?

#1102 2 years ago

A Distro will pay shipping and/or pay taxes upon picking games up from the Manufacturer, so not free in any case.

#1103 2 years ago

rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpgrent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg

#1104 2 years ago

Now my website is being hacked - fu china!

#1105 2 years ago
    Quoted from GravitaR:

A Distro will pay shipping and/or pay taxes upon picking games up from the Manufacturer, so not free in any case.

A lot of games are just drop shipped and come directly from stern so definitely shipping not included

#1106 2 years ago

Pinball Prices are Too Damn High

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #1107 2 years ago

Welp, I did it:
    Paid the extra for a Deadpool pro.
    So, after tax, prep, dealer options and and dock fees.
    A stern pro nib is 7k.
    Yeah, this will be my only nib.

Unless I hit the lottery.

#1108 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Welp, I did it:
    A stern pro nib is 7k.

You forgot floor mats and destination fee...

#1109 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Welp, I did it:
    A stern pro nib is 7k.

DP pro is all you’ll ever need, it’s the epitome of fun-in-a-box.

#1110 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

You ain’t shitting .My above ground pool liner tore and the few that had them wanted 1100 for a previous 250 liner .I patched it with a patch on the patch .Do what you need to do shit is fing weird right now .With pinball the smart thing to do would be sell every pin you have and wait it out but would any of us really do this ?

The "sell now and wait it out" strategy was proposed around 2010 or so. That certainly would not have worked out would it?

#1111 2 years ago

Inflation is here to stay and if the Dems get their way and spend another 4 trillion. Get ready for super hyper mega inflation.

#1112 2 years ago

20k by christmas ? Is this where we’re going ?

#1113 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

The bubble will burst.
    And we are all just sitting around licking our chops waiting for that magic moment!

Those exact words have been said for 20 years now Levi. And you have been on the site long enough to have seen it....and the bubble has not even begun to show any thin spots.

There are new pinheads making good money joining this hobby and they simply pay the going rate for a pin if they want it. And many of them actually think EBay prices are the best deal so they simply hit the buy it now button. Even during the 2008 crash everyone said "a house is necessary and a pinball is not" thinking pin prices would crash, and they did not.

Theres a lot of people out there with a lot of money and they don't think twice about throwing $15,000 at something cool that their friends don't have. I guess its just human nature.

#1114 2 years ago
    Quoted from playernumber4:

The "sell now and wait it out" strategy was proposed around 2010 or so. That certainly would not have worked out would it?

I’m not sure .The only thing I do know is we can’t take anything with us when the ferryman arrives .Someone once said “you want to die bouncing the check to the undertaker “.I can’t live like that but I wouldn’t condone it

#1115 2 years ago
    Quoted from Kkoss24:

I’m not sure .The only thing I do know is we can’t take anything with us when the ferryman arrives .Someone once said “you want to die bouncing the check to the undertaker “.I can’t live like that but I wouldn’t condone it

You are right Kkoss.....that's exactly why I have a brand new Hellcat Redeye Charger sitting in my garage right now! Many have tried I am sure...but they couldn't take it with them. I'm not spending everything down by a longshot, but we never know what medical issues are going to happen further down the road that can totally kill your bucket list.

And enjoy yourself now before they actually do find a way to tax you to death.

#1116 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Welp, I did it:
    A stern pro nib is 7k.

I’m actually tempted to do it for Godzilla. But the obvious limitations of not having played it yet will prevent me from jumping on it. I really do miss the old days where a game would be released and I could go to an arcade near me, figure out if I liked the game, and order it. A couple weeks later some trucker dropped it at my house. Those were fun times.

Quoted from MasterBlaster:

DP pro is all you’ll ever need, it’s the epitome of fun-in-a-box.

DP Pro is such a fun game. I’m sure it will eventually wear out it’s welcome (like they all do). But right now it’s my favorite game. And that’s rare for me. Usually when I get a game, it’s at the top for about a month. Then it just becomes part of the rotation. But DP has been here for 6 months, and it’s still king of the hill.

#1117 2 years ago

I’m 18 months into the hobby and have done well with having 4 and 1 on the way but I need to hit the brakes after that .I don’t have the $ or stamina to keep buying these, I put this together with my free time working like a mule .It’s been well worth it but if I may share my experience with others coming here to play here it goes .I’m 52 and we moved from Chicago to Crown Point IN in a new (still building) neighborhood .I’m the grandpa here most the others are mid 30s to low 40s.They welcomed me when we moved here by inviting me in they’re fantasy football pool .I paid that back by having the guys over here and there to play pinball.Every one of the 8 guys that have been here to play wants a machine .When I told them what I purchased my first 3 used machines for they were on board (WOZRR7800 ,Met pro routed 4k ,IMDN prem low plays modded 6600) .Then came covid and inflation .You guys know what those pins go for now .When I told them I paid 9500 for GnR LE they about shit themselves . To me it’s not where the prices are at it’s that someone needs to see the lost income with NIB 6k machines .Just my 2cents Player Edition 6k ,Tourney Edition 7k ,Home Edition 9k , LE 10.5k ,and CE 15k .Give everyone what they want .No not a home pin for 6k but a real pin maybe just basic decals ,no lcd whatever .CE throw the kitchen sink at it they can afford it .Spread it out but give everyone a chance at owning one .

#1118 2 years ago

You are right Kkoss.....that's exactly why I have a brand new Hellcat Redeye Charger sitting in my garage right now! Many have tried I am sure...but they couldn't take it with them. I'm not spending everything down by a longshot, but we never know what medical issues are going to happen further down the road that can totally kill your bucket list.
    And enjoy yourself now before they actually do find a way to tax you to death.

Yes I agree ! Enjoy yourselves .I’ve known people that lived way below they’re means and the opposite .Life is about balance .I actually got to a point where I was upset if I couldn’t buy the new pin .Then I smacked myself .They’ll always be around .Sometimes you just have to get over the hump and sell one to get one .This hobby is so insane but yet very logical .When you have entertainment at home you save money from going out to get entertained .I’m happy where I’m at and I have a wishlist .I’ll get to that wishlist when I notice a game at home is not being played .Until then I’ll enjoy the shit out of new pin day and steer clear of FOMO !

#1119 2 years ago

At the end of the day; these machines do not lose much value, and in a lot of cases either stay the same as a used machine, or even increase in value . If you don't mind buying a toy for $6k that will be worth $5k in 2 years, then paying $8k for a toy that will be worth $7k should not make a difference to you.
    Godzilla looks like it is a packed machine. Perhaps they will use the price increase to improve the quality of the new games coming out.

#1120 2 years ago

For those waiting on backlogged games - do you have situations where you are locked into non refundable deposits?

#1121 2 years ago

We should all be thankful to pay Stern these new prices. Back when Batman 66 SLE's were announced anyone interested had to send in a video stating why they were worthy enough to give Stern $15k to purchase an SLE. Well that has all changed, now anyone can give Stern nearly $9k for a premium and over $10k for an LE, that's about a $5k discount compared to Batman SLE and no video application required!

#1122 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

We should all be thankful to pay Stern these new prices. Back when Batman 66 SLE's were announced anyone interested had to send in a video stating why they were worthy enough to give Stern $15k to purchase an SLE. Well that has all changed, now anyone can give Stern nearly $9k for a premium and over $10k for an LE, that's about a $5k discount compared to Batman SLE and no video application required!

While I would agree the Stern "video contest" was an odd play I do give them credit for "Trying" to minimize the flip profit hounds or at least deter them a bit on such a very limited qty game. Did seem to work for what its worth.

#1123 2 years ago

Those exact words have been said for 20 years now Levi. And you have been on the site long enough to have seen it....and the bubble has not even begun to show any thin spots.
    There are new pinheads making good money joining this hobby and they simply pay the going rate for a pin if they want it. And many of them actually think EBay prices are the best deal so they simply hit the buy it now button. Even during the 2008 crash everyone said "a house is necessary and a pinball is not" thinking pin prices would crash, and they did not.
    Theres a lot of people out there with a lot of money and they don't think twice about throwing $15,000 at something cool that their friends don't have. I guess its just human nature.

I think there is a separate collectable bubble that has been occurring during covid. It's not unique to pinball. It's the same story across a lot of hobbies right now. I have a hard time believing that trading card collectors right now are saying that prices can only go up from here. The longtime video game collectors I know are seeing these prices and unloading their passions, knowingly aware of this unique situation. I was watching the Antiques Roadshow earlier this week, and they were talking about the collectible sand art bottle market during covid in the exact same way. Worth a lot before, market exploded during covid, crazy auction prices pushing things further, yes people are paying, but nobody is really expecting it to last at this rate.

#1124 2 years ago

I honestly believe the "F U Stern" thread is the final knife into the heart of this pinball bubble.

It's power has resonated far beyond Pinside, causing an unprecedented soul-searching reckoning that is squeezing the life out of the pinball price bubble!!!

Listen carefully...do you hear it?

You must hear it.

That unmistakable sound...

"HISSSSSssssssssssssssssssssss....ssssss..."

I am already considering my 2022 options: Do I buy a Williams IJ for $3,000? Or hold our for a Zep Premium for $4,000?

Thank you F U thread for showing us the way!

#1125 2 years ago

I’m going to bring a printout of this thread when I ask for my next raise.

#1126 2 years ago
    Quoted from mrgone:

Welp, I did it:
    A stern pro nib is 7k.

Are you serious that's insane?!?! Christ back in October of 2019 I paid $5600 shipped for my DP pro from Automated

#1127 2 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Are you serious that's insane?!?! Christ back in October of 2019 I paid $5600 shipped for my DP pro from Automated

Unfortunately, this pretty much sums up 2021. People are paying huge premiums/mark-ups for all sorts of goods. Called on a new car yesterday and dealer was charging $30k over MSRP. Ridiculous times.

#1128 2 years ago
    Quoted from sohchx:

Long as this community keeps forking over, nothing is going to change.

Sad to watch a hobby that 10 years ago you could get a Pro for about $4400 NIB. Now, we have someone willing to admit they paid $7000+ for one. A $2600 increase in 10 years. Nice.

#1129 2 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Inflation is here to stay and if the Dems get their way and spend another 4 trillion. Get ready for super hyper mega inflation.

Please tell me the secret to making political posts like this without getting moderated.

[EDIT: never mind, and thank you mods for all you do].

#1130 2 years ago
    Quoted from kell:

Unfortunately, this pretty much sums up 2021. People are paying huge premiums/mark-ups for all sorts of goods. Called on a new car yesterday and dealer was charging $30k over MSRP. Ridiculous times.

If the MSRP was one dollar I couldn't afford it.

#1131 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ribs:

I think there is a separate collectable bubble that has been occurring during covid. It's not unique to pinball. It's the same story across a lot of hobbies right now. I have a hard time believing that trading card collectors right now are saying that prices can only go up from here. The longtime video game collectors I know are seeing these prices and unloading their passions, knowingly aware of this unique situation. I was watching the Antiques Roadshow earlier this week, and they were talking about the collectible sand art bottle market during covid in the exact same way. Worth a lot before, market exploded during covid, crazy auction prices pushing things further, yes people are paying, but nobody is really expecting it to last at this rate.

Where are all these people coming up with the money? All I see is are help wanted signs from here to Chistmas. Seems like nobody's working. I thought prices on luxury items (pinball etc...) would tumble when then the pandemic hit. I've been wrong then and ever since.

#1132 2 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

Where are all these people coming up with the money? All I see is are help wanted signs from here to Chistmas. Seems like nobody's working. I thought prices on luxury items (pinball etc...) would tumble when then the pandemic hit. I've been wrong then and ever since.

That's because the rich people are still rich. The poor aren't buying pinball machines, they are paying rent, buying food, and gas...and probably Iphones.

#1133 2 years ago
    Quoted from wayout440:

People who have full time office jobs with retirement accounts have been doing very well during COVID. They drive less, spend less on food, and have been going on less vacations all while their investments soared. Look at the S&P 500 since March 20th, 2020. Unfortunately most Americans cannot even afford a $500 windfall let alone have a 401k, and they have been put even further behind by having to carry most of the COVID burden.

Don't listen to posters like Zablon who make jokes about poor people buying iphones. They are clueless.

#1134 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

Please tell me the secret to making political posts like this without getting moderated.

Id like to know as well. I can't even mention China or Iran around here. Seems they are political parties, not countries....

#1135 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ribs:

People who have full time office jobs with retirement accounts have been doing very well during COVID. They drive less, spend less on food, and have been going on less vacations all while their investments soared. Look at the S&P 500 since March 20th, 2020. Unfortunately most Americans cannot even afford a $500 windfall let alone have a 401k, and they have been put even further behind by having to carry most of the COVID burden.
    Don't listen to posters like Zablon who make jokes about poor people buying iphones. They are clueless.

Wanna bet? Dude I know, barely works, got himself a shiny new iphone. Mooches beers off people(not me) at the local watering hole.

#1136 2 years ago

Can we stop pretending smart phones are some kind of a province of the rich that nobody else is entitled to in 2021?

Try getting a job without a smart phone. I know there’s a few crusty old here who claim they can live their best life without one but it’s pretty Much a basic neccesity in most walks of life these days, rich or poor. It’s not some luxury item where ownership somehow proves you are “gaming the system.”

It’s basically the same thing as a phone phone for you true geezers out here. Even poor people
    Had a phone back in the day, right?

#1137 2 years ago

Can Stern send out larger QR readers?
    asking for a friend….
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png

#1138 2 years ago
    Quoted from Roostking:

Wanna bet? Dude I know, barely works, got himself a shiny new iphone. Mooches beers off people(not me) at the local watering hole.

Yes, I would like to bet against somebody who uses their own personal anecdotal experience to generalize a massive demographic of people. I also have some bridges I'd like to sell you.

#1139 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Can we stop pretending smart phones are some kind of a province of the rich that nobody else is entitled to in 2021?
    Try getting a job without a smart phone. I know there’s a few crusty old here who claim they can live their best life without one but it’s pretty Much a basic neccesity in most walks of life these days, rich or poor. It’s not some luxury item where ownership somehow proves you are “gaming the system.”
    It’s basically the same thing as a phone phone for you true geezers out here. Even poor people

I think you missed the point entirely...

#1140 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Smart phones for $300 and the latest and greatest iPhone for $1200 are 2 different things. My barely working aquantince has the top dog. Not saying he's gaming the system, but thats probably why he has to mooch beers...

#1141 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ribs:

Yes, I would like to bet against somebody who uses their own personal anecdotal experience to generalize a massive demographic of people. I also have some bridges I'd like to sell you.

How much? Some deeproot buyers might be interested.

And if there is one, there are more, or have you been living under said bridge and don't get out much?

#1142 2 years ago

Look at topper prices...They are making a custom apron on my Alien PB thread, I am in on buying it at $750 which I feel I am nuts at and then people on there saying it should really sell for 1k...An apron for gods sake...SMH.. Machines my be high but accessories are crazy priced..

#1143 2 years ago

We used to only have "Pinflation" -> now we have Hyper-Inflation + Pinflation!!!

#1144 2 years ago
    Quoted from T7:

We used to only have "Pinflation" -> now we have Hyper-Inflation + Pinflation!!!

Ummm Hyper-Pinflation.

So close!

#1145 2 years ago
    Quoted from swampfire:

I know, this is no place for that.

#1146 2 years ago

Everyone in the USA... F You Stern And Your Price Increases!

Everyone outside of the USA.... Wish our Stern NIB prices were this cheap.

#1147 2 years ago

I only popped in to throw a few more logs on the fire.

What an awful materialistic world we live in. I honestly want for nothing, only good health.

#1148 2 years ago
    Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

I only popped in to throw a few more logs on the fire.
    What an awful materialistic world we live in. I honestly want for nothing, only good health.

I wonder how many people a $1K topper could feed. I guess I could Google that on my smartphone.
    ....yes we are awful. Sometimes take for granted how good we have it.

#1149 2 years ago

How about paying 300 to 500 to put a nuclear reactor (pin stadiums) in a brand new game - I have to wear sunglasses to play even without them. I don't get it.

#1150 2 years ago

The solution is simple. Start buying EMs. I hope they make a comeback and people start restoring them. The 80s 90s games have gone up to there max value and no deals to be had. A classic revival would be just what this hobby needs. Tournaments, retro pincades.

There are 1,382 posts in this topic. You are on page 23 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-you-stern-and-your-price-increases/page/23 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.