Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,300 posts
  • 285 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by underlord
  • Topic is favorited by 28 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif
    10E44B61-1E4C-45E9-BBDA-7564B60A38F4.gif
    F3616058-5F66-431E-8798-A832D5BE4CDD (resized).png
    200.gif
    mcribby2 (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 11.17.18 AM (resized).png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 11.16.36 AM (resized).png
    C29C7B68-5B04-4F51-8E1A-B14E31D0E25C.gif

There are 1,300 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 26.
    #851 74 days ago
    Quoted from Trekkie1978:

Look at the price of plywood.
    Cabinet is made out of plywood...playfield is made out of plywood.
    I'm shocked there wasn't a price increase back in April.

Wood has dropped 300% around my parts in the last few weeks. It is actually a fairly reasonable price now.

#852 74 days ago

This all began with Lebowski pins demanding 12,500 and getting it.
    All other pins suddenly began going up in price.
    Nobody wants to be the loss leader for machines.
    Luxury Brands insist on being expensive because it imparts a sense of value to a niche Market.
    The perception of exclusive keeps price high. Pinball has become exclusive.
    Luxury Brands who tried to go mass Market failed and their Brand suffered.
    12.500 seems like a deal now.

#853 74 days ago
    Quoted from woody76:

THIS. The value is not there for me anymore. I am all location play moving forward for a while.

You know years ago I had around 20 pins and barely had time to play them.

Much happier now just having a few here and there and as you said playing on location.

There is for sure a point of diminishing returns on these things.

#854 74 days ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Wood has dropped 300% around my parts in the last few weeks. It is actually a fairly reasonable price now.

A little less than half price of what it was in the summer...

pasted_image (resized).png
    #855 74 days ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

A little less than half price of what it was in the summer...[quoted image]

7/16 OSB was up to $59 around here in July. Then it went to $26 overnight. Then down to $16. Then $11 last month. Then we had a hurricane, and its up to $19 as of yesterday. The entire year, every Lowes near me had this crap stacked up 4 bunks wide and as high as the outside wall of the building. There was never a shortage...they were just gouging us.

Now with coil steel...that is up 400% this year, with no relief in sight.

#856 74 days ago

For reference:
    June 29th, 2021 prices in Las Vegas

20210629_160335 (resized).jpg20210629_160343 (resized).jpg
    #857 74 days ago

Wood is $2.00 a pill around here.

#858 74 days ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

For reference:
    June 29th, 2021 prices in Las Vegas[quoted image][quoted image]

Today's price in metro Detroit.

1_wood (resized).JPG

#859 74 days ago

I guess it depends on where you live. Middle TN is 3-400% lower now than at its peak. I am glad as I need several sheets of plywood for a project.

#860 74 days ago

Cost of wood *now* doesn't apply to games made earlier this year. Also, costs on all the other parts have increased, especially electronics.

So the pros will go up 600 in three months, or 10% since Stern's last increase, which was over a year prior to 1/1/2022. How many of y'all complainers can pull a list of items that HAVEN'T increased 10% over the same time period? Aside from dollar store junk, some groceries and maybe gas in some areas, what hasn't increased?

How about a list of stuff that's gone up 50% or more? We're kinda lucky in some regards.

#861 74 days ago

Just out of curiosity, would variable pricing be impossible for some reason? Okay, so maybe Godzilla had to be $9K because of all the stuff they crammed into it, but if another title doesn't have as much of said stuff, why couldn't it be, say, $8.5K? Charging the same price for a "lesser" product just invites cries from people who feel like they're being ripped off.

I'm trying to think of another industry where every variation of a product that a manufacturer releases has to carry the exact same price tag...

#862 74 days ago
    Quoted from EternitytoM83:

Just out of curiosity, would variable pricing be impossible for some reason? Okay, so maybe Godzilla had to be $9K because of all the stuff they crammed into it, but if another title doesn't have as much of said stuff, why couldn't it be, say, $8.5K? Charging the same price for a "lesser" product just invites cries from people who feel like they're being ripped off.
    I'm trying to think of another industry where every variation of a product that a manufacturer releases has to carry the exact same price tag...

There's a point there. Clearly features and cost is not a factor in pricing at Stern. But, people keep saying 'they never pay retail' for Sterns....so no idea.

#863 74 days ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

There's a point there. Clearly features and cost is not a factor in pricing at Stern.

yup, most everything else has a certain % of profit to be made over bom. not stern.

#864 74 days ago

They've done this in the past with games suck as Batman 66.

#865 74 days ago
    Quoted from woody76:

I guess it depends on where you live. Middle TN is 3-400% lower now than at its peak. I am glad as I need several sheets of plywood for a project.

Woodguements

The price of wood doesnt factor in anymore than 100 other things, everything is more expensive and parts are in short supply.

#866 74 days ago

Thats the hope, I might suggest if you were on the fence with a title like LZ premiums you should probably buy one at the older cost. I am sure distributors still have inventory.

#867 74 days ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

And the game's designer!

He got paid?

#868 74 days ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

This all began with Lebowski pins demanding 12,500 and getting it.
    All other pins suddenly began going up in price.

Pretty sure this trend started with B66 SLE.

#869 74 days ago

Took a pay cut for them to put spinner in.

#870 74 days ago
    Quoted from FalconDriver:

Took a pay cut for them to put spinner in.

That’s funny

#871 74 days ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Its still higher than average. It's not just wood, but almost all manufacturing parts have gone up in prices. The other big factor that is affecting everyone is cost of freight. Even if the item has barely raised in cost, the freight costs for shipping have in the past year almost tripled in many instances. Chips for electronics also have all gone up in cost, anything coming from overseas part wise costs more. There is steel shortages happening in many areas too.

Heck I just got an email today that two main components used in my warehouse for manufacturing at the family business have gone up in price starting next month. This is going to be the third price increase on raw materials in the past 12 months and word is that there is no end in site and we might see more.

Theres not a single piece of raw material we use in our factory that hasn't gone up in price for base cost. Now ontop of that you toss on increased freight costs. A pallet of goods from NJ used to run me 100 or so bucks, now it's 260. Companies that used to deliver for free are all now tacking on full freight costs too.

And with the reopening of many things, the demand for labor is at all time high, to retain factory workers especially is forcing companies to increase wages and offer more benefits.

#874 74 days ago
    Quoted from woody76:

THIS. The value is not there for me anymore. I am all location play moving forward for a while.

Spot on. These new pins by Stern and JJP are all fun but they are just not worth the latest prices for many of us. Over the years I've said "Look at how much more value you get with a JJP pin" but I can't even say that now with their new crazy town prices. $10,500 for a limited edition pinball machine from both Stern and JJP? Pass. $7k for a pro and $9k for a premium from Stern? Pass. I just can't wrap my head around paying these new ridiculous prices for a pinball machine of all things.

#875 74 days ago

Even if Stern's costs dropped 10% they would be foolish not to raise prices in this market.
    They can't build the games fast enough to supply the ones they have sold.
    People are high on FOMO and can't seem to buy these games fast enough.
    From their perspective, why not raise prices and see what the market will tolerate.
    As long as they are selling a shit load of machines sight unseen ... they are on the right path for their company

#876 74 days ago
    Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

Even if Stern's costs dropped 10% they would be foolish not to raise prices in this market.
    They can't build the games fast enough to supply the ones they have sold.
    People are high on FOMO and can't seem to buy these games fast enough.
    From their perspective, why not raise prices and see what the market will tolerate.
    As long as they are selling a shit load of machines sight unseen ... they are on the right path for their company

Just so I get this right you don't think Stern should consider what some guy on pinside with feelings is saying about their prices and increases?

How will Stern survive

#877 74 days ago

Pinside - These prices are rediculous!

Also Pinside - I accidentally bought 5 Mando LE's and I'm selling 4 of them for $16,000 over what I paid

#878 74 days ago

The "Don't buy" mentality may have finally hit a tipping point. I don't know but I would love to see the numbers for Stern next quarter, they've broke sales records for the past couple of years but this may be as good as it gets from here on. I fully realize we'll never know the real numbers from Stern but the dealer
    s sales numbers could be a good data point.

#879 74 days ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

The "Don't buy" mentality may have finally hit a tipping point.

LMAO

They are going to be making and selling Godzillas FOR YEARS. I'm hearing there's unprecedented pre-orders and demand on this title.

#880 74 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

LMAO
    They are going to be making and selling Godzillas FOR YEARS. I'm hearing there's unprecedented pre-orders and demand on this title.

As expected....I mean there is zero chance of you saying or agreeing to anything that may be considered unfavorable to Stern. Also GZ is only one game, price increases are across the board....so let's see the less than stellar titles sales numbers and then you can have your say.

#881 74 days ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

As expected....I mean there is zero chance of you saying or agreeing to anything that may be considered unfavorable to Stern. Also GZ is only one game, price increases are across the board....so let's see the less than stellar titles sales numbers and then you can have your say.

What are you basing your fantasy that somehow prices have "reached a tipping point" on?

Was it this "F U Stern" thread? I know it's pretty convincing!

#882 74 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

This has nothing to do with stern, just the usual wishful nonsense that somehow sales are about to collapse because people here don't like the fact that pinball prices are higher than they were.
    What are you basing your fantasy that somehow prices have "reached a tipping point" on?
    Was it the "F U Stern" thread?

Ohhh, I wish I had the time to count the ways.... Pinball is not suddenly something indispensable, there is a tipping point (ceiling) for all consumer discretionary items. We had the $9k Mando hype that fizzled out, we had the Halloween hype that emptied an average of $9k from 1750 members, there is CC and AP with games ready to come out that will further test that same consumer....so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Stern's number will experience a correction.

#883 74 days ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Ohhh, I wish I had the time to count the ways.... Pinball is not suddenly something indispensable, there is a tipping point (ceiling) for all consumer discretionary items. We had the $9k Mando hype that fizzled out, we had the Halloween hype that emptied an average of $9k from 1750 members, there is CC and AP with games ready to come out that will further test that same consumer....so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Stern's number will be experience a correction.

Is this just going to affect Stern, or do you think we are we looking at a general "bubble bursting" across the entire industry and hobby?

is it finally happening?!?!?!

#884 74 days ago

I may have missed the original intent of this thread.

Are you guys saying it's not the (F)abulously (U)nderpriced Stern Thread?

#885 74 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Is this just going to affect Stern, or do you think we are we looking at a general "bubble bursting" across the entire industry and hobby?
    is it finally happening?!?!?!

That was the whole "Tipping Point" umm..point

#886 74 days ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

That was the whole "Tipping Point" umm..point

Well, people have been saying this for over 20 years but maybe this time we nailed it.

I will keep abreast of the situation.

In the meantime, F U Pinball!!! Be lower priced!

#887 74 days ago

We’ve been tipping for 10 years now

80840758-A411-4874-8E81-DB04CBA84C22.gif
    #888 74 days ago
    Quoted from thechakapakuni:

We’ve been tipping for 10 years now
    [quoted image]

Tower to gravity:

F U!

#889 74 days ago

Well clearly there is a limit to the numbers game. Sure there may be people out there willing to pay 50k for a pinball machine, but you aren't going to sell 12k of them. You get diminishing returns the higher the price goes. You also have a hobby that everyone keeps saying is niche, so that automatically limits the number of people to sell to. You've got multiple companies putting out games. At some point there will be saturation and yes it is completely baffling that the demand for pinball is so high right now and has lasted so long, nostalgia or not.

If we think the prices and demand will continue on for the next 20 years as Levi seems to think, I'm dumping all my stocks and buying pins.

#890 74 days ago
    Quoted from Zablon:

Well clearly there is a limit to the numbers game. Sure there may be people out there willing to pay 50k for a pinball machine, but you aren't going to sell 12k of them. You get diminishing returns the higher the price goes. You also have a hobby that everyone keeps saying is niche, so that automatically limits the number of people to sell to. You've got multiple companies putting out games. At some point there will be saturation and yes it is completely baffling that the demand for pinball is so high right now, nostalgia or not.
    If we think the prices and demand will continue on for the next 20 years as Levi seems to think, I'm dumping all my stocks and buying pins.

I just wish someone could compare pinball to something that the layman can easily understand...toasters?

Camels?

Coats?

It's on the tip of my tongue!

#891 74 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I just wish someone could compare pinball to something that the layman can easily understand...toasters?
    Camels?

Well that's obvious. Yoyo's.

#892 74 days ago
    Quoted from Elvishasleft:Woodguements
    The price of wood doesnt factor in anymore than 100 other things, everything is more expensive and parts are in short supply.

I am sure one of those 75 cargo ships sitting on the California coast is holding all the parts for the games being held up.

#893 74 days ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Camels?
    Coats?

Guitars?

#894 74 days ago

F you pinside and your gray or red hearts and your costs for sales adds. You have went up 1000000000% since I joined!

#895 74 days ago

After watching the premium stream, I finally think Stern has produced a title with enough mechs in it to justify some of the costs... compared to the $8300 I paid 2 years ago for a MBrLE, the premium at $9300 delivered with insider connect included is not that bad a deal. With all the stainless steel and habitrails, building collapse and bridge mechs, mecha godzilla, magna grab, rotating spinner, the machine seems packed. Now lets see the next one match this BoM and maybe Stern has realized they can build better machines at these new prices, as long as the price increases are not a frequent and continuing trend.

#896 74 days ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

As expected....I mean there is zero chance of you saying or agreeing to anything that may be considered unfavorable to Stern.

He gets a translite shipped to him for each favorable response regardless of his true feelings.

#897 74 days ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

Ohhh, I wish I had the time to count the ways.... Pinball is not suddenly something indispensable, there is a tipping point (ceiling) for all consumer discretionary items. We had the $9k Mando hype that fizzled out, we had the Halloween hype that emptied an average of $9k from 1750 members, there is CC and AP with games ready to come out that will further test that same consumer....so it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out Stern's number will experience a correction.

Yet in every example you used and likely the ones on deck they sold out on everything they had to offer. In some cases before they were even shown! That doesn’t even account for the skyrocketing prices on used games.

#898 74 days ago

F you this thread and my crippling inability to drain it.

(I mean, I know how, I just don’t want to miss anything)

#899 74 days ago
    Quoted from kvan99:

The "Don't buy" mentality may have finally hit a tipping point. I don't know but I would love to see the numbers for Stern next quarter, they've broke sales records for the past couple of years but this may be as good as it gets from here on. I fully realize we'll never know the real numbers from Stern but the dealer
    s sales numbers could be a good data point.

I can only speak for myself - but I said "I'm not buying" around 2016...but then I played Elwin games, and now that I'm hooked, what am I gonna do - not buy Elwin games? I'm back in, baby! Prices be damned. Also speaking for myself, I can sell my current games for more than I paid for them...so it's all relative, the new purchases aren't as painful.

#900 74 days ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I can only speak for myself - but I said "I'm not buying" around 2016...but then I played Elwin games, and now that I'm hooked, what am I gonna do - not buy Elwin games? I'm back in, baby! Prices be damned. Also speaking for myself, I can sell my current games for more than I paid for them...so it's all relative, the new purchases aren't as painful.

Same here. I thought I was done with NIB after Metallica, because I thought LED insert lighting was a bridge too far, haha. Since then I’ve added GOTLE, AS, JP (sold), GOTG (sold), STH, TWD and LZ Premium. Not all at NIB prices, but close. I haven’t lost any money yet.

There are 1,300 posts in this topic. You are on page 18 of 26.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside