Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 1,382 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Spiderpin
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

111giphy.gif
    2244DAC6-65A3-4A3F-89AF-536F3DB8DD85 (resized).jpeg
    C7946D6D-4975-4F5F-B293-2F28A22E9E68 (resized).jpeg
    50AE510F-1999-433B-9532-941F09A8AD3B (resized).jpeg
    chloe (resized).png
    5968D338-B470-4DBE-877D-A3942AC2CB43 (resized).jpeg
    Market (resized).JPG
    smokey-bear-forest-fires-gettyimages-50599917 (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-151742_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    Screenshot_20211030-124538_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
    468F3A57-E675-4E1D-83C4-0C4807807D98 (resized).png
    Screenshot_20211021-103506_Facebook (resized).jpg
    7E06776A-409F-49F3-A3CB-29E629D7FDC5 (resized).png
    pasted_image (resized).png
    rent-is-too-damn-high-jimmy-mcmillan (resized).jpg
    3F82B49B-15D4-41AA-A8E2-7E6D0C4D1C06.gif
    There are 1,382 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 28.
    #551 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

I'll be honest, I haven't read through this whole thread, just the title and first few posts.
    I guess I don't really understand it though. If you don't like the price of the games, why not just stop buying them and move on with your life? Is it really necessary to say fuck you to them on a public forum? Seems really odd.
    I don't like the price of Ferrari's, but I don't say fuck you to the company in front of thousands of people. I just don't buy them...
    Am I missing something?

Yeah, pinball machines don't cost $250k - $500k+...but maybe soon at this rate!

#552 2 years ago
    Quoted from woody76:

Well since you ask they have doubled in price since I bought them in Feb. Boats/skis skyrocketed just like pinball machines if not more, but even if they didn't the fun value was way higher than a pinball machine.

I am into racing and riding dirt bikes. I get it man. Try out a dirt bike. Seems like me and everyone else on a Sea Doo is always looking to jump it. So just get a machine made to jump. I am almost 60 still doing 90 footers.

#553 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinFever:

they are so big and productive that they save big money compared to HOMEBREW . i was talking relative price of parts and components in the short span that games from stern were 4500 to your door for a Kiss Pro and GOT pro / so your point is Mute
    . As far as plumbing i am mad it has not been impacted like Stern Hompin/le/pro/prem pricing . or i would be charging 400 an hour service charge

Honestly ask yourself what a Kiss Pro/Got pro 4500 pro price to your door to todays 6800 NIB pro price and tell me where the 2300 DOLLARS increase was from ? and anything extra you get from one to the other game.

Funny thing with that is I had a Kiss pro and while it's a pretty simple game, the build quality of the cabinet felt notably more solid than the Iron Maiden premium I had gotten brand new

#554 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sometimes it really seems like all anybody wants to talk about. No other hobby I’ve ever dipped my toe into is this obsessed with money/value/bubbles.

Yeah, it seems worse than usual. But the last year has also seen a big increase in used market and NIB. Once things settle down so will the pricing talk I am sure.

#555 2 years ago
    Quoted from chickenscratch:

<Off topic but in topic>
    I dunno man, I nodded then laughed at your comment, see no upvotes, checked your history and your a fine classically trained man that cuts no fat off his comments.
    I like you, and Pinside needs your style amongst the others, which is a lot of low-T bitching and moaning amongst a cohort of truly helpful pinheads who are either helpful or can enjoy truth-in-jokes
    -jabbing without falling over and calling mom.
    Upvoting you is like supporting the atheist during the Middle Ages; have an updoot sir. I think covid ruined supply chains, stand-up comedy, as well as getting timely testosterone shots in stock for our middle aged+ friends, and that’s the real issue here.
    People bitching over $500-$1.5K in a hobby where disposable income is king… sheesh; while everything costs 15%+ more this year other than pins before “today.”
    How many price-flips does it take to get to the center of a pinhead? The word will never know.

#556 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Yeah, pinball machines don't cost $250k - $500k+...but maybe soon at this rate!

Right but ur Pizza comparison made sense?

#557 2 years ago
    Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

//<![CDATA[
    window.__mirage2 = {petok:"d5b4b6560bad61767e43df79eaec1a634bdfb272-1631836455-1800"};
    //]]>

#558 2 years ago
    Quoted from Beatnik-Filmstar:

Someone humble bragging about how they can totally afford Ferarris, that you should probably just get a better job or three, and then coming back to laugh at how totally triggered you were.

You lost me. I never said I could totally afford a Ferrari. I certainly can’t! Lol!

#559 2 years ago

For the true story on how this thread started, I got the info from someone stern was jacking prices again. I had THREE pros on order at the time trying to build up my collection a bit again. When I saw what the price hike was ($800 per pro) that was $2400 that I wasn't counting on paying. Verified with the distro that the hike was real. Got a bit fired up and started this thread. My own fault for waiting so long to buy more, but I just couldn't write off another $2400 and say what the hell.

#560 2 years ago

Ah. That gives the reason for starting the thread a little more context. That would grind my gears too. Especially if you already had the order in!

#561 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

Ah. That gives the reason for starting the thread a little more context. That would grind my gears too. Especially if you already had the order in!

The problem with the "queue" system is it is just a waitlist, when your number gets filled you pay what they are currently charging.

#562 2 years ago

And you know that somehow these games are gonna get ‘delayed’ until 01/02/2022 so the prices go up. What’s to stop a distro from telling you that your game hasn’t come in yet, when in reality it truly has, and they just want to make an extra buck? Maybe it sits in their storage for a for a few weeks before they tell you it’s in. Not saying all would, just the ones that are already boosting prices…

#563 2 years ago

They are so far behind shipping games that I was way down the queue not sure when I would have got them. Especially now that godzilla is announced that will probably take priority over other titles.

#564 2 years ago

So Sterns increase is definitely reflecting on used Stern games . My wanted add was answered with a price for their game . I was gonna take it , then nope , “don’t know what it’s worth with Sterns price increase”

#565 2 years ago
    Quoted from HC2016:

So Sterns increase is definitely reflecting on used Stern games . My wanted add was answered with a price for their game . I was gonna take it , then nope , “don’t know what it’s worth with Sterns price increase”

"Capitalism"

#566 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

"Capitalism"

Not after given a price . That’s not cool man

#567 2 years ago
    Quoted from HC2016:

Not after given a price . That’s not cool man

More like CapitalJISM, amirite?!

#568 2 years ago

(TAF) Gomez said it best!

Greed (resized).jpgGreed (resized).jpg
    #569 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wmsfan-GAP:

And you know that somehow these games are gonna get ‘delayed’ until 01/02/2022 so the prices go up. What’s to stop a distro from telling you that your game hasn’t come in yet, when in reality it truly has, and they just want to make an extra buck? Maybe it sits in their storage for a for a few weeks before they tell you it’s in. Not saying all would, just the ones that are already boosting prices…

kinda like the ones that are allready charging msrp. never payed msrp in my life.

#570 2 years ago
    Quoted from Squizz:

[quoted image]

Greed is good. (Gordon Gecko)

#571 2 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Sometimes it really seems like all anybody wants to talk about. No other hobby I’ve ever dipped my toe into is this obsessed with money/value/bubbles.

Based on that statement, I'm assuming you have a lot of hobbies having a $6,000 entry point?

We aren't talking about a $10 increase in the price of a tennis racket in this thread.

#572 2 years ago

Painfully clear not many here have a clue on what it takes to survive and profit in MFG. the cost of all raw materials has risen steadily over the past few years. The cost of any outside services needed have risen as well. Not to mention the huge costs of employees - increased wages as well as huge increases in health care. Guarantee they are looking for line workers as well - the worker shortage is a huge problem right now. Times are tough when you now have to compete with Amazon at $18 an hr plus a $3,000 sign on bonus. Tough fight to get someone on an assembly line these days and that’s a fact across Chicagoland MFG. Nothing is cheap these days and you’d have to be completely naive or have your head burried in the sand as to expect pricing to remain the same in a luxury hobby like this during a 2 year pandemic. Sure I’m not thrilled with it but it is what it is. Welcome to reality.
    People complaining about a luxury toy price increase while millions are struggling to keep a roof over their heads and their family fed…

#573 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Maybe if big companies paid a livable wage for manufacturing and other jobs there wouldn't BE a labor shortage.

Go back to your moms basement...

Quoted from John-Floyd:

Painfully clear not many here have a clue on what it takes to survive and profit in MFG. the cost of all raw materials has risen steadily over the past few years. The cost of any outside services needed have risen as well. Not to mention the huge costs of employees - increased wages as well as huge increases in health care. Nothing is cheap these days and you’d have to be completely naive or have your head burried in the sand as to expect pricing to remain the same in a luxury hobby like this during a 2 year pandemic. Sure I’m not thrilled with it but it is what it is. Welcome to reality.
    People complaining about a luxury toy price increase while millions are struggling to keep a roof over their heads and their family fed…

Easy solution, stop paying guys.

7k for a pro is absurd. I’m out, more will follow.

#574 2 years ago
    Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Go back to your moms basement...

You're kidding, right? Your banality would make me want to throw up on the person next to me (bonus points if you get the reference).

You do realize what I meant by this comment is it is an employee's market right now, right? Some people are realizing they don't have to put up with low wages and have options. Some people are taking the extra money and making advancements in their careers, or going back to school and getting the education and qualifications they need to go farther in life than food services or retail. That's what I am getting at and for big companies to quick taking record profits and give it back to the people that allow such profits to occur - the common worker - not stockholders and "administration".

Did you all REALLY think I was ok with people just sitting home and "staying in their mom's basement" living off the government? As an active duty service member, it sickens me that people cash hand-out checks.

Hope that clears that up. Now if you'll excuse me, my mom just said my Fruity Pebbles are ready and my retro-80s cartoons are about to come on so I can sit in my TMNT tightey-whiteys all day. There's like 25 basement stairs to go up, and I have to hold my stomach out of the way to see my feet so I can properly traverse the stairs. This may take a couple tries so I need to hurry. If I hurry, I get donuts and tatertots for lunch.

#575 2 years ago

Stern is taking people for a ride at these new insane prices. Regardless of whether or not people think Stern is better then JJP or vice versa it's clear which company has the greater cost per game and it's JJP. A Stern LE and JJP LE are now basically the same price. The JJP LE comes with significantly more hardware in it from the old Bally / Williams style lock down bar mech, the traditional head lock, and especially far more hardware in the head of the cabinet compared to a Stern. Open the backbox of a Stern and you will see a couple small boards, open a JJP backbox and you will 5x the amount of hardware. There's other items as well including the metal leg protectors, the entire head being made out of wood, boards being full RGB, etc. I won't even touch the coding aspect which I think is higher at JJP compared to Stern.

Again none of what I said means one companies games are better or more fun then the other but it's clear which company is making more profit per game at these latest prices. Did Stern raise prices because material cost are up? Sure, a bit but the real reason for such a large price increase is that they believe there's enough people to continue buying games at the higher price point.

Perhaps JJP will now raise prices from $10,500 to $11,500 after seeing what Stern did, then Stern will do the same in a year. The price increase madness will likely continue.

#576 2 years ago
    Quoted from WeirPinball:

They are so far behind shipping games that I was way down the queue

Almost makes you wonder if it was intentional and they inserted a convenient little pause in there.

Actually, I'm sure it was... I'm sure they knew what they were doing by retroactively raising the prices for models previously priced lowers... orders all over the place... they knew what they were doing. Especially to the people already in queue for getting one. They are going to bank big on that: the fish that are already hooked.

#577 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern is taking people for a ride at these new insane prices. Regardless of whether or not people think Stern is better then JJP or vice versa it's clear which company has the greater cost per game and it's JJP. A Stern LE and JJP LE are now basically the same price. The JJP LE comes with significantly more hardware in it from the old Bally / Williams style lock down bar mech, the traditional head lock, and especially far more hardware in the head of the cabinet compared to a Stern. Open the backbox of a Stern and you will see a couple small boards, open a JJP backbox and you will 5x the amount of hardware. There's other items as well including the metal leg protectors, the entire head being made out of wood, boards being full RGB, etc. I won't even touch the coding aspect which I think is higher at JJP compared to Stern.
    Again none of what I said means one companies games are better or more fun then the other but it's clear which company is making more profit per game at these latest prices. Did Stern raise prices because material cost are up? Sure, a bit but the real reason for such a large price increase is that they believe there's enough people to continue buying games at the higher price point.
    Perhaps JJP will now raise prices from $10,500 to $11,500 after seeing what Stern did, then Stern will do the same in a year. The price increase madness will likely continue.

True shit. Like I said in an earlier post, I wouldn't be surprised if operators and collectors both lean towards JJP more now that the prices are so close. You get way more hardware and pizazz for your buck in a JJP, and while Sterns are great (and there are certain Sterns I would take over certain JJP games regardless of price anyways, such as Jurassic Park), I'm sure there's a lot of times when collectors went with a Stern instead of a JJP due to the price alone as their final decision-making factor. If you're undecided, that price difference was a big bargaining chip that made the answer a bit clearer and weighted heavily towards Stern... now gone.

If JJP is smart, they wouldn't do an increase and reap the benefits of Stern's silly decision. The closer that price gap is, is more sales for JJP. And lucky for them, they didn't have to stoop down... Stern rose up for them. Business as usual for JJP, as Stern made the change. The gap narrows...

"It's only $500 more..." is a lot more convincing than "It's $2,000-$3,000 more...", which is dangerous for Stern. The price gap was Stern's handicap to keep the playing field level as can be and I'm surprised they didn't realize that.

#578 2 years ago

If Godzilla LE is paid in full can it go up in price?

#579 2 years ago
    Quoted from John-Floyd:

Landlords and their families need to eat too. So do Stern employees.

#580 2 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

You're kidding, right? Your banality would make me want to throw up on the person next to me (bonus points if you get the reference).
    You do realize what I meant by this comment is it is an employee's market right now, right? Some people are realizing they don't have to put up with low wages and have options. Some people are taking the extra money and making advancements in their careers, or going back to school and getting the education and qualifications they need to go farther in life than food services or retail. That's what I am getting at and for big companies to quick taking record profits and give it back to the people that allow such profits to occur - the common worker - not stockholders and "administration".
    Did you all REALLY think I was ok with people just sitting home and "staying in their mom's basement" living off the government? As an active duty service member, it sickens me that people cash hand-out checks.
    Hope that clears that up. Now if you'll excuse me, my mom just said my Fruity Pebbles are ready and my retro-80s cartoons are about to come on so I can sit in my TMNT tightey-whiteys all day. There's like 25 basement stairs to go up, and I have to hold my stomach out of the way to see my feet so I can properly traverse the stairs. This may take a couple tries so I need to hurry. If I hurry, I get donuts and tatertots for lunch.

It’s not an “employees market”. Stimulus money has caused a lot of the labor issues. How do you expect people to be motivated to go to work when they are making more sitting home in their couch.

It’s Time for everyone to get back to work.

Problem is that This inflation isn’t transitory like Powell would want(hope) to believe, the extra stimulus money has caused this inflation and its here to stay.

Hope you enjoy paying 9k for your Stern Premiums.

#581 2 years ago
    Quoted from Squizz:

[quoted image]

Gordon Gekko says it best.

7E6E5F1D-6046-4F40-9EB5-8E477AA1E41C (resized).jpeg7E6E5F1D-6046-4F40-9EB5-8E477AA1E41C (resized).jpeg
    #582 2 years ago
    Quoted from JohnTTwo:

If Godzilla LE is paid in full can it go up in price?

Only on the secondary market.

#583 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Again none of what I said means one companies games are better or more fun then the other

Riiiiiiiiiight

#584 2 years ago
    Quoted from NightTrain:

I'll be honest, I haven't read through this whole thread, just the title and first few posts.
    I guess I don't really understand it though. If you don't like the price of the games, why not just stop buying them and move on with your life? Is it really necessary to say fuck you to them on a public forum? Seems really odd.
    I don't like the price of Ferrari's, but I don't say fuck you to the company in front of thousands of people. I just don't buy them...
    Am I missing something?

Yes, entitlement.
    People feel like they deserve to be able to buy pinball machines at a certain price and get angry when companies raise prices due to increased costs and desire for more profit. I guess they would prefer state run pinball company.

#585 2 years ago
    Quoted from Obed_Marsh:

Funny thing with that is I had a Kiss pro and while it's a pretty simple game, the build quality of the cabinet felt notably more solid than the Iron Maiden premium I had gotten brand new

That time period around Kiss is when a bunch of their cabinets were splitting. They are built better now.

#586 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Did Stern raise prices because material cost are up? Sure, a bit but the real reason for such a large price increase is that they believe there's enough people to continue buying games at the higher price point.

Bingo ,and they're probably right !

#587 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

If stern can make an equally fun game at lower build costs I'm not sure how that's a plus for jjp. Why exactly do I need a bunch of outdated electronics in the head? Just more crap to break and service. Everything you just listed as some big plus for JJP will mean nothing to 90+% of the buyers. People care about it looking cool, being fun, shooting good, replayability. Those Williams head locks suck anyway. JJP needs to figure out that some things from 1992 can still be improved upon.

#588 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Again none of what I said means one companies games are better or more fun then the other

Quoted from Palmer:

Riiiiiiiiiight

I actually tend to like well-made Stern better than a well-made JJP (each has their gems and turds, but let's say a gem vs. a gem for precisely fair comparison) just based off of design, flow, artwork, and the flipper mechs, but there's no denying that a JJP bill-of-materials is above what Stern puts into their games. I believe that is what PanzerFreak is trying to say as well in his statement.

That's not an opinion, that's a fact you can prove. I believe that's what he was trying to say. They very clearly dump way more money into them at JJP than they do at Stern. Doesn't matter if the game is better or not. That's besides the point. Singlehandedly only speaking about the numbers, JJP puts more stuff into their games. Again, not an opinion... if you could acquire the bill of materials for each of the last 5 games from both I'm sure this would ring true as fact and not be up for discussion. "Fun factor" and whatever else totally aside, the guy is speaking facts about facts.

#589 2 years ago

Thread title reminds me of this.

91sn32Q (resized).jpg91sn32Q (resized).jpg
    #590 2 years ago

I'm also glad JJP pushed Stern to do LCDs. The fact that LCDs weren't done in like 2003 is kind of laughable. Stern was 14 years late to the party in 2017. The technology existed way back in the early 2000's and it's all quite simple.

I have a feeling if it weren't for JJP we still be doing DMDs in Stern games. It's really a miracle they lasted as long as they did, especially into the late 2010's... surely driven by the monopoly and lack of any competition.

Driving an LCD was doable by 2003. And with the basic graphics they had in Batman and Aerosmith, that was doable back then too. Now Stern seems to finally have its feet wet with utilizing the screen to its full potential, but at first it was kind of rudimentary and all basic 2D graphics. (Batman and Aerosmith, etc.)

#591 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

It would be great if JJP put our more pins or pins that I’d buy. I won’t buy GnR or Wonka. I’d buy Potc but they aren’t making them.

So what wait years for the next JJP? They should keep making their back titles because people would buy Potc.

#592 2 years ago

The dealers here are constantly out of stock, even with high prices they are having a hard time keeping inventory of any new pins, most of the inventory around is just used machines at this point as they quickly sell any new arrivals. The pins are selling and the cost to ship and produce anything right now is going up. PB just raised prices big time, 1UP is doing crazy prices increases too, and it's not going to stop. The other companies are gonna be forced to raise prices too no doubt, some are selling at high premiums already but some are gonna feel the pinch and raise prices as right now most industries are expecting prices to keep going up on raw materials as there is no end in site right now to manufacturing woes and demand.

Folks are buying pins, costs of manufacturing going up, yea prices are gonna keep raising and this isn't gonna be stern exclusive.

#593 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

. The fact that LCDs weren't done in like 2003 is kind of laughable. The technology existed way back in the early 2000's and it's all quite simple.

Nevermind the fact they were initially 5-6 times the price as they are now…and they were limited heavily on the aspect ratios available. I mean….”screw you Stern!”

#594 2 years ago

Gary's reaction seeing people defend the price increases.

2539433-2642583531-24674.gif2539433-2642583531-24674.gif

#595 2 years ago
    Quoted from Scandell:

Nevermind the fact they were initially 5-6 times the price as they are now…and they were limited heavily on the aspect ratios available. I mean….”screw you Stern!”

That could have been accounted for, but add a few years for padding if it makes you feel better and push it to the mid-2000s. At the most extreme least possible, by 2009-2010 there are no more excuses and everything was LCD-a-plenty by then. Every house had a widescreen LCD for their computer, a modern flatscreen LCD for their TV, the things were modern, and practically all hardware on Earth had switch to LCDs. Even car stereos switched to LCD around that time or earlier. The fact that it took 7 years after 2010 is laughable.

The only people buying DMDs after the mid-2000s was probably Stern and the NYC subway system replacing their ancient technology instead of updating them lol

#596 2 years ago

Such a shame because I feel like Ghostbusters would have been a home run with an LCD. Now I can't even play the dang thing, having gotten a taste of pinball with LCDs. It looks 15 years older now, and it surely shows that way on location too. Put a 2016 Ghostbusters next to a 2017 Stern and it's a big change.

As soon as the LCD dropped, they aged the prior set of games ahead of it by 10+ years. That would've been less painful in the 2000s than in the 2010s where a 2016 game is made to look ancient. Old tech the day they rolled out of the factory, it just took a few years for it to be "shown up" and immediately date them all (they already were dated, but nobody realized before then.)

#597 2 years ago
    Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Gary's reaction seeing people defend the price increases.
    [quoted image]

Gary made people pay extra at the pinball auction too?

You can’t fight it. I was trying to negotiate on a SUV several months back. I was saying that’s not any good price getting ready to leave. They said no problem you can leave because this car will sell tomorrow and then we aren’t getting any more for a while. Not like they had 50 of them sitting on their lot or en route.

#598 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

I actually tend to like well-made Stern better than a well-made JJP (each has their gems and turds, but let's say a gem vs. a gem for precisely fair comparison) just based off of design, flow, artwork, and the flipper mechs, but there's no denying that a JJP bill-of-materials is above what Stern puts into their games. I believe that is what PanzerFreak is trying to say as well in his statement.

You can’t play the BOM. Stern’s pins are just more fun to play IMO. Who gives a shit how the lockbar and head are secured? And I used to think wooden heads were better than metal, but now I don’t care. It sounds like you guys are upset that Stern is better at being profitable than JJP.

#599 2 years ago
    Quoted from Happy81724:

Yeah, crazy pricing as premiums are almost what i paid for my LEs. I’ve bought the last 5 LEs but I’m out on Godzilla. 10.5k is way too much for me. My plan is to focus on my grail pins and call it a day. I’ve got one lined up already, fingers crossed until it’s in my house!

Adam, what’s the grail pin?

#600 2 years ago
    Quoted from Gameseum:

I'm also glad JJP pushed Stern to do LCDs.

No they didn’t. Next you’ll say that P3 pushed them to online play.

There are 1,382 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-you-stern-and-your-price-increases/page/12?hl=pinlink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.