(Topic ID: 166285)

AS Relay not locking

By 1974DeltaQueen

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

I have a Pinup, AS relay controls the spot for WOW and also the 5000 when lit alternations. I cleaned the Bakelites with IPA and used auto grade 1000 grit paper to shine the copper. The unit sticks and doesn't lock or ratchet forward consistently this relay is also like a stepper and it is wired into the PF by two jones plugs. It is not overly dirty or gummy looking, and the issue is 100% mechanical because I can see the playfield spot move when I mannually push in the relay tray and it ratchets forward. The issue is that it gets stuck between strokes and doesn't lock . There are two arms and 2 Bakelite plates on this stepper/ Relay. Does the leaf switch on top create the tension? The spring looks and acts normally and this game is probably under 50,000 plays. Thoughts ?

#2 7 years ago

Just spitballing here..... Is the stepper unit a disc unit with rivit contacts? Sometimes the fingers can be ajusted toward the rivit contact to tight causing the disc unit to not spin fully to the next rivit

#3 7 years ago

Hi 1974DeltaQueen
maybe this is of help: just "before / above of" this video: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#emsteppersvideo they talk about and show Gottlieb AS-Relays. Greetings Rolf

#4 7 years ago

If everything else is clean, either the switch that is on the gear is causing too much tension for it to step, or the wipers on the circuit boards are causing too much tension.

Also make sure you don't have too strong a spring on the activator plate. I had that once on one of these steppers and the activator plate couldn't pull in fully, thus allowing the stepper to work correctly.

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

If everything else is clean, either the switch that is on the gear is causing too much tension for it to step, or the wipers on the circuit boards are causing too much tension.
Also make sure you don't have too strong a spring on the activator plate. I had that once on one of these steppers and the activator plate couldn't pull in fully, thus allowing the stepper to work correctly.

+1, the switch, or worse yet TWO switches on the stepper are really tricky to get adjusted just right.
Light switch pressure & just a tiny bit of lube helps.

#6 7 years ago

I agree on the switch tension. I'm also going to put a thin coat of superlube on the Bakelite . I have a parts game and I can try another tension spring if the leaf tension and PFTE synthetic lube don't improve the stepping

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/f-relay-not-locking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.